Efficacy of fat burning supplements

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

sevenperforce

Efficacy of fat burning supplements

Postby sevenperforce » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:19 pm UTC

Searched around a bit in this forum and didn't quite find what I was looking for so I decided to pose it as a new topic...hope that's okay.

I'm in relatively good shape. My weight is in an acceptable range. I've been working out off and on for the past year and have bulked up to approximately where I want to be, muscle-wise, just using anaerobic workouts (mostly pushups and free weights). So while a little more bulk would be nice, that's not terribly important to me. Instead, I'm eying with disdain the 1-2 cm layer of subcutaneous fat currently obscuring my otherwise-decent ab and thigh muscles. I'd really like to see more definition.

Unfortunately, I'm working two jobs and have a fairly high-stress lifestyle with irreparably inconsistent diet and sleep. I know both those things are bad for health overall but there's not much I can do at this point.

I know that aerobic exercise is the best way to burn off that unwanted padding, so I've been squeezing in 30-45 minutes with a rowing machine or treadmill or punching bag whenever I can -- several times a week right now. My current goal is to do more of that, while also keeping high-fat, high-protein, low-carb shakes and snacks readily available in order to reduce unhealthy snacking.

All this to say: is there any value at all in the various supplements purporting appetite reduction, fat burning, etc? Stuff like AbCuts, CLA, Garcinia, EGCG, Phen375, and so forth. I'm assuming no, but I figured there might be a chance and it would be worth finding out. I'm not looking for massive weight loss, just reduction in subcutaneous fat for primarily cosmetic reasons.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Efficacy of fat burning supplements

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:23 pm UTC

I'm not terribly familiar with the supplements you listed, but I'm under the impression most are basically just some form of or combination of various amphetamines or such. Which will most certainly burn weight and suppress your appetite, but aren't particularly healthy. I certainly lost weight when I was on some ADD meds, but don't think it's a very good way of doing it.

I think you've got the right idea with respect to eating and squeezing in activity - maybe consider getting a FitBit or such to set a daily walking goal.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:07 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm not terribly familiar with the supplements you listed, but I'm under the impression most are basically just some form of or combination of various amphetamines or such. Which will most certainly burn weight and suppress your appetite, but aren't particularly healthy. I certainly lost weight when I was on some ADD meds, but don't think it's a very good way of doing it.

I think you've got the right idea with respect to eating and squeezing in activity - maybe consider getting a FitBit or such to set a daily walking goal.

I'm on ADD meds by prescription, but I just didn't know if there were any supplements which would actually catalyze or otherwise encourage metabolic targeting of adipose tissue.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:34 pm UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:36 pm UTC

I've heard good things about CLA from a number of sources. I've also been taking it with my workouts for over a year, and I really don't know whether it makes a difference. But I definitely don't see any drawbacks.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:32 am UTC

dimochka wrote:But I definitely don't see any drawbacks.
Well, it presumably doesn't come for free.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed May 06, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

sevenperforce wrote:Searched around a bit in this forum and didn't quite find what I was looking for so I decided to pose it as a new topic...hope that's okay.

I'm in relatively good shape. My weight is in an acceptable range. I've been working out off and on for the past year and have bulked up to approximately where I want to be, muscle-wise, just using anaerobic workouts (mostly pushups and free weights). So while a little more bulk would be nice, that's not terribly important to me. Instead, I'm eying with disdain the 1-2 cm layer of subcutaneous fat currently obscuring my otherwise-decent ab and thigh muscles. I'd really like to see more definition.

Unfortunately, I'm working two jobs and have a fairly high-stress lifestyle with irreparably inconsistent diet and sleep. I know both those things are bad for health overall but there's not much I can do at this point.

I know that aerobic exercise is the best way to burn off that unwanted padding, so I've been squeezing in 30-45 minutes with a rowing machine or treadmill or punching bag whenever I can -- several times a week right now. My current goal is to do more of that, while also keeping high-fat, high-protein, low-carb shakes and snacks readily available in order to reduce unhealthy snacking.

All this to say: is there any value at all in the various supplements purporting appetite reduction, fat burning, etc? Stuff like AbCuts, CLA, Garcinia, EGCG, Phen375, and so forth. I'm assuming no, but I figured there might be a chance and it would be worth finding out. I'm not looking for massive weight loss, just reduction in subcutaneous fat for primarily cosmetic reasons.

In your case, I'd have to say no... you're in relatively good shape and you're consciously eating right and exercising. Keep doing those things. The drugs you list above are basically amphetamine-type things that, while not exactly healthy for anyone, are mainly intended to help people who don't have the willpower to eat right and exercise. They'll make you feel less hungry and will burn some calories; but not in any way that is particularly good for the human body.

Return to “Fit Club”