Running game idea

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

ikweethetniet

Running game idea

Postby ikweethetniet » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:03 pm UTC

I was thinking about a possible game involving running that could go as follows (Disclaimer: I am not especially competent at either thinking or running):

- Choose a location/terrain that is suitable for running but unfamiliar to participants
- Set a distance (e.g. 5 miles)
- Runners are given some kind of GPS tracking chip
- Runners hand in smartphone, watches etc. so that they cannot assess distance/speed or time elapsed.
- When the game starts, runners try to cover the specified distance as quickly as possible. When a runner thinks she is done, she gives a signal (not sure yet how).
- Each runner's time is penalized for deviations from the specified distance.
(By what factor? I don't know yet.)
- The runner with the shortest (penalized) time wins.
Numerous practicalities would still have to be solved. This is just a rough idea I had this morning (after running).

A few questions for you:
- Does something similar already exist?
- Is this really stupid?
- Could this be fun?

EvilDuckie

Re: Running game idea

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:27 am UTC

It sounds a bit like Orienteering with the main difference being that in orienteering participants get a map and a clue sheet. Sounds like it could be fun, especially as a way of showing how difficult it is to guess distances.
Quack!

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:07 pm UTC

Yeah, could be interesting - my practical objections are that, as a pampered runner, I'm used to a finish point full of goodie bags, bag drops and toilets. Running five miles to a point that you can't have anything near to clearly mark... and then running back? Presumably the orienteering crowd are a hardier bunch. Maybe a finish one mile on from the unmarked point would work.

Also if it's done by competitors together, then watching everyone else make the signal at what-they-think-is-five-miles turn it into something more about psychology than running. Which still could be fun but I'm not sure how much that matches the initial idea.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

LadyLand

Postby LadyLand » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:19 pm UTC

This idea is really great and funny.

Twitchkidd

Postby Twitchkidd » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:39 am UTC

So runners could be penalized for finding the shortest distance between the two points? I must have misunderstood, maybe. I love the idea of an "unsolicited redesign" of the running race. I have a few domains and hosting if you want to develop a web app for it. Field.gareth@gmail.com, hmu

Return to “Fit Club”