Ab Roller vs Situps

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Ab Roller vs Situps

Postby sardia » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:33 am UTC

Has anyone tried those stupid ab rollers that you see in the fitness late night ads? They seem funky, and hard as hell to try. I did a on knees inclined ab roll, just 1, and I was so sore afterwards. It's really intense, and I can only do a 1-2 before I have to stop. It's like doing a negative rep when you extend, and then it feels really weird and exhausting to go coil yourself back up. I half feel this is really dangerous, and the other half feels that its really cool to get an intense work out in just a few reps.

Edit: Found a rare small sample study of ab work outs. https://academic.oup.com/ptj/article/86 ... chresult=1
I think I'm on the right track?

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Re: Ab Roller vs Situps

Postby ivnja » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:31 am UTC

I have one and like it. I feel like it forces engagement of the entire core, while sit-ups or crunches you can get lazier on.

That's also what that abstract is saying, I guess.
Hi you.
She(?!)

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:56 pm UTC

I'd also try to do a lot more focus on static ab exercises. Their primary function is stabilization - you don't really *use* your abs to crunch up and roll around all that much. So I would do some of the ab rolling for the dynamic side, but having your core super tight for things that engage the stabilization - overhead press, farmer's carry, front squat, single leg rdl, all kinds of goodies - these guys have other muscles as a "target," but the way they work the core is no joke and is basically the point of the core.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:14 pm UTC

Also planks, which suck but are effective. Can vouch for the farmer's carry, too.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:53 pm UTC

http://startingstrength.com/articles/abs_rippetoe.pdf

Rippetoe has his faults, but his Abs article is dead on, as far as I can tell (dramatic language aside).

doogly

Postby doogly » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:30 pm UTC

yup, that is my understanding as well.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:03 pm UTC

I grew up with my dad using one all the time (we call it a gut wheel), and I went through a period where I used it a lot - combining it with things like pushups, but like doogly said, we don't really use those muscles for that kind of activity very much. I haven't used it in a few months. It also can be harmful to your back if you use it incorrectly.

Re: the article, one of my nurse friends is a bit of a body-builder on the side and told me that abs were auxiliary, secondary, or something like that in his training and they were exercised enough as he did other things, which changed how I worked out myself a lot.
kalira wrote:But your own butt is always in the past, because it's behind you.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:27 am UTC

Liri wrote:I grew up with my dad using one all the time (we call it a gut wheel), and I went through a period where I used it a lot - combining it with things like pushups, but like doogly said, we don't really use those muscles for that kind of activity very much. I haven't used it in a few months. It also can be harmful to your back if you use it incorrectly.

Re: the article, one of my nurse friends is a bit of a body-builder on the side and told me that abs were auxiliary, secondary, or something like that in his training and they were exercised enough as he did other things, which changed how I worked out myself a lot.

From what I can tell, I'm sore as hell because I experienced some soft tissue damage, but not a hernia. Looks like I need to lay off for a couple weeks to heal up. Then work my way back up to an ab roller. I'm not strong enough to do one yet, even from a kneeling position.

Liri

Postby Liri » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:55 am UTC

The problem I always have when I come back to it is doing too many and not being able to do much of anything the next day. I'd try working up to it with planking, or doing a pull-up and lifting your legs (there's probably some workout term for that).

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29 am UTC

Liri wrote:The problem I always have when I come back to it is doing too many and not being able to do much of anything the next day. I'd try working up to it with planking, or doing a pull-up and lifting your legs (there's probably some workout term for that).

The practice effect of D.o.m.s. iirc.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:33 pm UTC

Liri wrote:or doing a pull-up and lifting your legs (there's probably some workout term for that).

Do you mean hanging leg/knee raises (and the harder variation - hanging straight leg raises)? Or the combination of pull ups while having legs extended?
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:12 pm UTC

Like kipping?

Liri

Postby Liri » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:31 pm UTC

dimochka wrote:
Liri wrote:or doing a pull-up and lifting your legs (there's probably some workout term for that).

Do you mean hanging leg/knee raises (and the harder variation - hanging straight leg raises)? Or the combination of pull ups while having legs extended?

The middle one. Plus some side-to-side action.

Samik

Postby Samik » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:40 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:http://startingstrength.com/articles/abs_rippetoe.pdf

Rippetoe has his faults, but his Abs article is dead on, as far as I can tell (dramatic language aside).

Agree with his position on abs. Very rarely do anything special for them beyond the work they get in deadlift, squat, pullups, etc. Never noticed a benefit to working them individually.

Also, anything that involves jumping/vaulting. Used to be into parkour - go out and work some kong vaults or high vaults, and see if you don't feel it in the abs.

It's always seemed to me that they get the work they need just by using them, to do the things you're doing anyway.

doogly

Postby doogly » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:52 pm UTC

It's the same way with common core math. People successfully diagnosed that there was too much [ isolation | memorization ], so they propose to solve the problem with more different [ isolation | memorization ].

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:41 am UTC

I noticed that the ab roller works out your back muscles a lot. By that I mean it gets more sore. Or it could mean my back muscles are much weaker than my abdominal ones.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:42 pm UTC

sardia wrote:I noticed that the ab roller works out your back muscles a lot. By that I mean it gets more sore. Or it could mean my back muscles are much weaker than my abdominal ones.
You may be arching your back (letting your belly button drop). In yoga terms, too much cow pose, too little cat pose. I like to be just a hair on the rounded back (cat pose) side of a flat back, because the other way can get a little painful.
Hi you.
She(?!)

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

Turns out that back soreness is from the hip flexors. Which I didn't know provides a lot of power to the AB roller or any abdominal exercises

Return to “Fit Club”