MJ's Fat-assery

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: MJ's Fat-assery

Postby Moo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

It was a spam post that got deleted.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

Having seen this thread for the first time, I am 100% behind it. I don't care that it came to my attention through a Chinese spam-bot.

I look forward to updates and ask--neigh--demand success stories.

1.) pix plz, preferably repeating the chainlink fence one on a month-by-month basis, purely for visual comparison, and
2.) watch what you eat, not what you weigh. I think that was the best advice I ever heard for losing weight. Reading through the replies, I'm guessing this has already been taken on board, though.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

Yar, my food intake is being watched like a hawk... or, rather, being watched as if it were being watched BY a hawk. That makes much more sense.

The wedding weekend sort of ruined whatever progress I made last week, and right now I'm too tired to jog in the mornings (I Have yet to exceed 5 hours sleep per night over the last 5 nights) but I still walk at lunch and eat considerably less.

The chain link one wont work, because that is in Nelson (8 hour drive), but I will start doing some pictures in the same outfits, to perhaps make some sort of flip-book of failure.

Er, sorry, typo, I meant to type "success".

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The chain link one WILL SO work, because that is in Nelson (THREE DAY HIKE) and I'm TOTALLY up for doing that every month

There, that just lost you 30 pounds and six days in one post. I suggest playing the Rocky theme tune on loop all the way.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

If I lose 6 days pay, will you send me the check for the $1000 I've forsaken?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

I have a phobia of post-boxes and post-offices. Also I'm terrified of cheques and the $ sign.

You'll have to hike to England (26 day hike, if you have jetskiboots) and I can gladly hand it over to you in old Irish Punt. (I have a jar of 'em, roughly worth Zimbabwean$1000)

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:If Meaux posts, I'll officially have my own cheerleading squad.

*WOOOO*

::shakes pom-poms::
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Woo! *slips you a folded dollar bill*

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Just to let you know:
You are behind me so I am behing you *makes strange gesture of connection in putting his fist on his chest*

So, I hereby officially join your cheering suqad. Keep it up, we can do it! :-)

jenue wrote:Just thought I'd mention that I've heard that exercising (cardio) for more than 45 minutes at a time doesn't really give much added benefit, which amount of time serves as a really good (and attainable) goal.

That's weird! MY doctor said the excact opposite. He said that there is some sort of a barrier in the body at around 45 minutes that the body need to switch to stored energy sources indtead of burning the ones that already are in the body. And only if you cross that barrier, you excercise "really works"

Yours, Shakleton
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Your doctor is TECHNICALLY correct, but weight loss doesn't happen based on which minutes are spent doing what, it's taken at a macro scale. My old doctor (who was a sports physiotherapist for 23 years, some of which was spent with the NHL) explained that, yes, cardio for more than 30~ minutes at peak heartrate does case your body to kick into "emergency gear" and start sucking caloric energy from your stores.

It then puts you in starvation mode so the next several meals you eat go right back into them. If you exercise a lot, this isn't a problem, but if you hardcore-cardio 3 times a week, you're training your body to go into peaks and troughs of activity and fat storage.

Over the course of, say, a week, you need to have ended up at a calorie deficit.

baseline-calories x 7 days = baseline-calories-for-the-week.

(baseline-calories-for-the-week)-calories-burned-exercising = calorie-deficit.

The book explains how to get the approrpriate quantities of calories from which macro category, IE, protein, carbs, fats. Carbs are important, even to fat people like me, since that's where the energy comes from for exercise (look up ketonic diet for the "carbs are the enemy" side effects). You may not even be in a calorie deficit at first, but you ARE developing muscle tone, and improving the pace of your metabolism, and hopefully getting out of the peak/trough cycle.

A few posts ago I mentioned how after about two weeks eating like this, I stopped getting tired at work, or indeed stopped getting tired AT ALL During the daytime. It's been an immense help, and noticing that one thing has helped convince me this is working (also, my pants keep falling down... yay, less ass!)

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

I think people are screwing with me.

Whenever I haven't lost weight, or in fact GAINED weight, people will say "Hey, Topper, have you lost weight?"

Now that I've lost ten pounds, people are making fat jokes at my expense. The only person who noticed I lost weight is Sam The HVAC Guy, and he only sees me once a month, so I guess it's more noticeable for him.

BTW, just dropped below 300.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:BTW, just dropped below 300.

Alternative response:

So did this guy.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I think people are screwing with me.

Whenever I haven't lost weight, or in fact GAINED weight, people will say "Hey, Topper, have you lost weight?"

Now that I've lost ten pounds, people are making fat jokes at my expense. The only person who noticed I lost weight is Sam The HVAC Guy, and he only sees me once a month, so I guess it's more noticeable for him.

BTW, just dropped below 300.

Part of me feels kind of awful for you that you're getting that reaction, but part of me laughs out loud about it, too. Nicely done on the drop, btw!
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

After several days of being generally off-diet, I am back, and have taken steps to slightly increase the difficulty (and gains). I no longer use even light mayo with my tuna.. it's been replaced with chili garlic sauce, which is almost entirely devoid of fat OR sugar. I am considering getting whey-protein stuff for work, so my last meal of the day is about as low-calorie as I can possibly get it, AND I am advertising in my area for a weightlifting / sparring partner.

Also, I realized I probably didn't post this here, so:

Now, the reason I was at the mall is, I bought myself a present. I haven't bought myself a present in a long time, and I figured this is on a par with Throkky's last three "MJ, can you go buy bread... and ice cream?" I went to Marks Work Wearhouse, and I bought myself...

A belt!

I am sick of hiking up my pants every ten seconds. I hate having to use the belt hole that I made with a power drill. I hate that my leather belt now has an ingrained double-twist from the constant force of trying to hold up my pants and stay up. I hate watching it change color every day, with the light brown patches and the cracks and the chips spreading out from the sides. Screw it. I got myself a brand new Keldon belt (HOLY CRAP, belts are expensive, but ironically, the biggest belts they had, made for men my size, were the cheapest ones!) Also, it's doubly-awesome, because after a minute I remembered why I knew the name Keldon.

I walked all the way back to the office, without hiking up my pants once. I am happy.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Keldon Warlord was in my Red deck when I was new.

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Something close to my diet is written up over here: http://nerdheaven.dk/~jevk/paleo_intro.php

It's not my site, but with a domain name like that, isn't it believable?

It worked for me, and I'm 20 pounds lighter, partly because of some of the communities following the diet referred to as 'paleo' are scientifically-oriented, and probably have some of the best advice on the topic of diet.

Note that it's a carbohydrate-restricted diet and probably very at odds with your vegetarianism. Some of the principles could still be helpful to you; the whole idea of constructing a diet from anthropological evidence of what humans are most likely best adapted for seems pretty great.

Also, have you considered consulting a bariatric physician? Not a nutritionalist, they're not doctors and thus probably limited in what they can recommend - a bariatric physician specializes in treating obesity and their advice is altogether more effective.

See also this doctor's advice on setting goal reasonable goal weights: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/weight-loss/changing-perceptions-of-obesity/#more-1772 - he ran/runs a bariatric clinic and his advice is sound.

Disclaimer: Both of the above people are in the sugar hypothesis camp, which is one side of the current debate on how heart disease develops. It's in the minority. There is scientific evidence for the view that elevated blood sugar is a larger risk factor than cholesterol/triglycerides in the development of heart disease, but the truth is probably somewhere in-between the two polarized sides. Incidentally, these sides correspond about the same to carbohydrate-restricted and lipid-restricted diet regimens. Can you guess which is which?

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:19 am UTC

This is the first I've heard of this thread, and after reading the whole thing I'm really glad for ya.

I was surprised it took so long for someone to say "Eat protein" with everything. That was a clincher for me.

I didn't actively try to lose weight, but knew I needed to and made general decisions to that end.

Oddly enough, this all started this time last year when my then-girlfriend broke up with me. I didn't eat at all for 4 days, and my stomach must have shrunk, as I could only eat about a third of what I could previously. Then I started picking better foods MOST of the time (Always have treats, just once a week, not a day). I'm now up to being able to eat as much as before, but I don't do it. Often.

I went from being about 240-250lbs (I'm an Aussie, so guesstimating a little) down to I am now 208. I'd like to be under 200 by the end of the 'fit for the job' challenge we have at work. I was 215 at the start, 7 weeks ago, but didn't follow the exercise plan. I'm now on the 100 pushups challenge, as well as playing hockey once a week.

Weight isn't so important to me though. Since starting this year (IE: Since my ex left) I no longer can wear ANY of my pants/shorts without a belt, I've had to shorten one of my belts because it's too long and add more holes (on the good side), and I need to buy new pants/shorts because even with a belt, they now bunch up unattractively and uncomfortably. My point out of this is to watch your waistline, not your scales. The fact that you're feeling so much more awesome is another thing you should be focusing on.

Congrats again dude, and best of luck for the coming months. You have proven you CAN do this, now it's just a matter of sticking with it and watching it happen.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

pullhard3r

Postby pullhard3r » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

MJ, I want to say good job on sticking with it. As long as you keep committed, the results you desire will come sooner than you might expect. But try to think of being healthy not as some goal you're trying to reach, but as a part of who you are now. You are committed to being healthy. When you are in this mindset, making small changes such as cutting down calorie intake, eating better food, and increasing your exercise regimen will come easy and naturally. Because you are now a person who is committed to staying healthy. Good luck!

p.s. When I feel like eating more than I should, I stuff myself with spinach and carrots. It seems to do the trick.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

Man, it feels so weird reading over this, because currently I'm working out in order to GAIN weight, and I have to go to extreme lengths to just to find enough [reasonably healthy] food to consume.

So, I don't have any weight loss experience, but I do have some knowledge from a power fit / nutrition class. Basically I'd recommend whatever cardio you can manage in your limited time frame. A half-hour is plenty of time (though it takes longer if you count the time spent warming up, showering etc). What I've started doing is forcing myself to go to bed half an hour earlier, and waking up a half-hour early to go for a run or do a body weight workout. I lose a half-hour of time where I'm basically being a lazy bum playing video games, and use it constructively in the morning. It's been tough forcing myself to exercise when I'm bleary-eyed, but after a few days of intentionally leaping out of bed and dancing around to get my heart rate going, it's not so bad.

But anyway, cardio's what's going to shave off the pounds. You want muscle mass too, but strength workouts build muscle more than they burn fat. Obviously you want both, but I would say cardio should be the focus. As for what, well, whatever works? I like running a lot, which you can work up do by speed walking. Cycling is great also.

I haven't had time to look through all your updates, so I've just got generic advice for now that everyone's probably mentioned already. Just thought I'd contribute.

Just remember that you have a crowd of xkcdians cheering like soccer hooligans for every pound lost.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:23 am UTC

UPDATE PLEASE. (I know asking so soon after Christmas is just plain mean).

Also, I feel like hi-jacking this thread to document my own fight against the tasty cholesterol demons as part of my NEW YEAR RESOMOLUTION. In fact, I smell a new thread emerging.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

That's just creepy. I was going to take a picture of my new gym setup at home and post it here, because it's been almost two months.

But seriously, what in the world possessed you to bump this thread?

Progress? Not much since mid November, when I sort of nosedived. January 1st is my official reboot, since I have a huge year planner set up right by my weight set and heavybag, and starting January 1st I start filling it out. Right now, I'm enjoying a Coke and some Lays, so.... bite me.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Yup, bought myself a scale. It says it's good up to... well, let's just say, it's good up to less than what I weigh right now, BUT it's going under my weight bench, so I'll be the only one using it, and I'll be weighing myself every morning, after my ablutions but before my breakfast, and I'll be able to keep track pretty well (my wall calendar includes a section for charts, so I can make a graph! I make a lot of graphs...)

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

I haven't read the entire thread, but I just wanted to say something along the lines of "keep it up, don't quit!" It's hard at the beginning but eventually it becomes part of life.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Yup yup.

Also, I got yelled at for buying a scale.

Drake

Postby Drake » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:41 am UTC

Post your gym setup; I'd love to see it! Us lowly apartment dwellers must move the kitchen table whenever we want to do calisthenics (me) or yoga (girlfriend). If I must be a gym voyeur, then so be it.

Also, this thread got me pumped, so excuse me while I move the kitchen table.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:27 am UTC

L0L, my thread of epic fail got you pumped? Low standards ahoy!

Also, I lost my camera. I'm not even joking. I tried to take pictures of the 18oz steaks I cooked, but no luck, and my stupid camera is stupid gone.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:45 am UTC

Ok, here's my setup (or at least half). The punching bag is on the OTHER side of the basement, hanging in the middle of the kids play area, because the floor there is made of huge foam tiles and it's easy on my feet (and my kids like to punch the punching bag).

Spoiler:
09 Jan 12th Gymsmall.gif
09 Jan 12th Gymsmall.gif (315.11 KiB) Viewed 8772 times

Ok, big post here. Written in chunks, because I've sort of been compiling all day. Swordfighting-on-chairs compiling. That's the best kind.

I FAIL AT FIT CLUB.

Getting that out of the way. It's very very true. I promised, promised, PROMISED (that's three times I promised) that I would start January 2nd with the working out in the mornings before my brood awakes, and with the eating healthily at home as WELL as at work. So far, I haven't worked out much at all (I did it once out of guilt, but it wasn't for long because, as I said... my brood has needs). I've also pretty epically failed at eating healthy, since I'd intended to start the first day back at work (January 5th) but since that day tanked, I justified the rest of the week as being a wash and ate like I would have a year ago.

Then I wanted to start doing it right on the 12th (today) but on the 11th, my family sans Throkette (see my sig) left town for various hospital-related reasons. We had pizza last night (it had vegetables and pepperoni and sausage and anchovies) but because of leftovers, that became breakfast. Then I had Subway for lunch. Since this day was a write-off, we had sirloin-burger-pies and salad for dinner. It's not that bad, but since she didn't eat all hers, I ate the rest, so that's probably a lot of calories. Then I had a big home-made mocha, because I'm sleepy. Working out is sort of out this week, since home alone means my daughter freaks out and climbs into bed with me around 4am, and if I get out of bed, she wakes up and freaks out. SO, this week is shot.

And next week... who knows?

The problem is I can never be or STAY motivated when I'm actually in a place or time to work out. First thing in the morning? Holy FUCK I'm tired, there's no WAY I'm getting out of bed to drag my ass downstairs and be reminded of how useless a physical specimen I am. Stay in bed. Much warmer.

Then as soon as I do get up to make the kids breakfast and head to work, I am filled with remorse because EVERY SINGLE TIME I'd wished I'd just gotten up and gone downstairs.

Walking at lunch? Holy FUCK, there's a lot of snow out, and it's cold! Plus in the cold, my iPod headphone wires freeze and they earbuds pop out of my ears. So, I don't do it. I stay in my office. Much warmer. Then as soon as it's 3 o'clock or so, I realize my legs are sore from sitting, and I wish I'd just gone out at lunch because I have a pair of huge stereo headphones that are PADDED to keep my ears warm, but it's too much trouble to... unplug them from my office computer. Don't ask. I am lazy.

Then I get home. I ate well all day, but it's dinner time. I don't want to eat a lot, but I see everyone else snarfing down food, and it is really tasty and homemade, so I just have some seconds. Maybe thirds.

Then later, I've avoided snacking, but if my wife goes into the kitchen to get tea or hot chocolate or a cheese sammich, I accompany her in order to get myself some junk food. And even though she isn't here, I KNOW I have some dijon chips on the counter, so when I am done typing this, I'm gonna go in there and eat them. Yummm-mee.

I think I've gained weight since December 1st, which flies in my "Losing a pound a week" thing I had going up until November 1st. I'm possibly heavier than I was in August when I STARTED working out and eating well in the first place.

So... motivation. A question of motivation.

My dad would say that I simply haven't DECIDED to do it yet. To him, success or failure comes down to DECIDING to do it. When I ask why he decided to fail at Amway after doing it for nine years, he got mad at me and started to explain that it wasn't his fault. I asked why he decided to be fat for every single year I've been alive, and he said that they walked and ate well and he had lost some weight and this was just where his body stopped losing weight. I wanted to ask why he decided to be a lousy father, but that was probably pushing it. There's more to life than decisions.

I have decided to be in fighting trim again, but then again, I've also decided to be a published author, and I recently decided to fly using my mind. I can decide shit all day, it doesn't mean it's going to happen. I need to DO. I need to ACT. There is no try (and since there is no try, I haven't tried. Thank you, Yoda, you BASTARD.)

So what natural resources do I have? This sort of thing comes down to what you can bring to bear against the problem, what resources and skills and abilities you have. Skills and abilities don't really apply to unskilled, simple actions, so that just leaves resources. What resources do I have?

I don't have willpower. Thats a given.

I don't have support, at least in real life. Also a given. I mean, I have internet-support, but let's be fair... that's like throwing rice at the space shuttle and singing "Fly, you majectic machine! Fly!" Cute, symbolic, not helpful. Sorry.

I don't have pithy inspirational posters. Well, I do... .stuff I found online that inspires me. I won't share, because you'll laugh, but it's because the other adults in my house also laugh and make fun of me for them that I took them down. This segues nicely into my one natural resource, though, because I don't like to be laughed at by loved ones.

So what do I have at my disposal that I can use to help me out here?

Anger.

I am a bottomless fucking well of useless rage. I'm angry at my ridiculous, adipose-filled carcass. I am angry at being laughed at everytime I try to better myself. I'm angry that I can't run more than a hundred feet at one time, or jog about two hundred feet. I'm angry that I can't get out of bed when the kids have slept all night and I've actually gotten a decent amount of rest. I'm furious that I can't eat properly when other people are around. I'm pissed that I can't quit sugary drinks. I'm... uhm... enraged that I can't think of more synonyms. Mmmm, synonym buns... I'm angry that I can't stop thinking about food. I'm angry that I used to be able to tell people I fought competitively, and they believed me. I'm angry that all I can do right now is make a long-winded post in an internet forum thread where all I've done is highlight my fail.

But anger can work for me here. Anger gets me to do stuff. Anger is all that ever gets me to not take the path of least resistance. And right now, anger is all that's going to LAST long enough for me to make real, effective changes to my habits.

So right now, I'm working on ways to harvest my anger, and draw upon it when I need it, and not when it just sort of spurts out little puddles of guilt. Maybe a picture.... something to remind me. Post-it notes never stick around long enough (see wut I did there?) Maybe a laminated card? Indelible ink?

Working on it.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

You have support here. If you want more, you can have more support here (although they are mean-ass motherfuckers and will mock you until you stop letting yourself down).

Purky

Postby Purky » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:33 pm UTC

Gogo MJ, hope you manage to get back into your routine as it seemed to be working well for you.
I'm making an effort this year too after joining the gym and going religiously 4 times a week for a month then as winter hit deciding that my nice warm bed was far more attractive than a 5 mile bike ride in the cold to the gym...

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

As for getting out of bed, just leave an alarm clock out of reach. Leaving the warmth is the hardest part, and something pretty annoying ringing is a good way to help you overcome it. Also, other people in the house will complain if you don't turn it off fast :D

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:You have support here. If you want more, you can have more support here (although they are mean-ass motherfuckers and will mock you until you stop letting yourself down).

I've actually been IP banned from there.

Also, my alarm will not wake up anyone else in the house. They sleep like logs. HOWEVER, putting it on the dresser seems lik a good trick...

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

Wait wait wait WAIT. You've been IP banned from the PA forums?

I demand story time!

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I don't even remember why. I've been IP banned from Penny Arcade, Nuklear Power and VG Cats (twice).

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

...wha? You? Trolling? I just can't picture it.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

I wasn't trolling, I was just being me.

On VG Cats, I got banned the first time because I posted lots of "OH CRAP" stuff when Harper got elected, calling him our New Zombie Overlord. The VG Cats guy voted for Harper, so he deleted my threads and IP banned me. A friend of mine gave me their sock puppet account (since VG cats is a closed society, they don't let in new people) and I palled around for a while under the new name, but people recognized my style of posting and kicked me out again.

Penny Arcade, I honestly don't remember what I did.

On Nuklear Power, I got temp-banned for getting into an argument with a mod. I didn't know it was a temp ban, and I didn't know what I had done wrong, so I had to rejoin to ask what I did. They banned me before answering me (seriously, they banned me, THEN answered). I had to rejoin AGAIN and ask them to answer BEFORE banning me, so they answered, THEN banned me before I could read it. I had to rejoin AGAIN and they freaked because "I couldn't take no for an answer" and IP banned me, and to this day I don't know what I did wrong.

Good times.

What does this have to do with me being fit?

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Absolutely zilch, but I love hearing IP ban stories, especially since a friend of mine is a mod on a particularly large forum and I've seen the mod end of a number of IP bans. I just think that you can get a pretty decent feel for a board by looking at who/why IP bans are given out (as they're the only real bans).

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

I just think people don't like to argue with me, because I only argue when I'm right. IP banning is way easier. Or here, for some reason, people argue back without resorting to flaming insults. Might explain my post-count.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

Walked every day this week, stayed on diet every meal this week (except last night when I emptied a lot of the leftovers in our fridge by making a tortilla-crust pepperoni-and-anchovy pizza at 10pm), and although I haven't gotten up early to workout this week because I've got a REALLY sick baby (I went to bed at 5am, fuck you I'm getting up at 6 to lift weights) I do feel better now that I am walking again.

This update was brought to you by Obesity Made Easy!

justaman

Postby justaman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

An idea that I saw on the TV last night (in an ad, either for keeping fit/healthy, or for parenting - government sponsored) was to incorporate the kids into your workouts. The ad had someone doing push-ups with a small kid sitting on their shoulders, maybe you could bench-press your son or something similar.

Edit to correct spelling and grammar, I suck at typing and hit submit before previewing.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Return to “Fit Club”