Parkour

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Benfrenchman

Re: Fleeting/Random/Thoughts (now with 20% more fungus!)

Postby Benfrenchman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

He probably is a ninja. You didn't think of that, did you?? Now you've hurt his feelings.

Parkour looks so cool. i was saying to my mate Dan earlier that it's the coolest hobby you can have.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:How to learn Parkour.

Step 1. Go Outside. Find some grass.

Step 2. Fall in to it. A lot. Learn to land right. Don't break your neck.

Step 3. Jump on things. Jump off things.

Step 4. Climb things.

Step 5. Move over things slowly. Speed it up.

Step 6. You're done.
Can I skip to step 3? I'm amazingly idiotic.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

Awia wrote:Can I skip to step 3? I'm amazingly idiotic.

Only in the cases in which

A) You already know how to land

or

B) You don't care how you land
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

It's the former, I used to do judo, where I had to know how to break fall and roll, though I probably need some practice...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Practice until you can take off at a full run, jump and roll on the ground, pop back up and keep running with minimal slowdown.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Practice until you can take off at a full run, jump and roll on the ground, pop back up and keep running with minimal slowdown.
I always over balance when I try and do that, so good idea.

I also need some grippy shoes, I can't run along walls without grippy shoes!

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

I did parkour back in high school when I was actually cool. One day I almost missed a jump and would have fallen 6 stories. I still do it, but I don't go over 2 stories now. I'm not interested in breaking my legs. Maybe someday I'll try going over the bank with a couple of my friends again.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

@Parkour: I canz, but I dontz. I know I can, because SOMETIMES, I jump of 6-7 meter things, roll, and feel fine, and because my reach (with the wall-run-thing) is over 4 meters. Plus I have arms that are too long*. And my balance is outrageously good: I can walk over a beam, half a centimeter in diameter, for 30 meters, I can jump 2,5 meters out of a standstill, and I can land out of a jump (a horizontal one) on anything that is at least 20x20 centimeters, perfectly.
But I don't ever do parkour...

*According to Da Vinci, ones arms, stretched out, should be as long as you are from head to toe. My arms (across, not a-piece) are 22 centimeters "too" long, according to Da Vinci.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Step 2. Fall in to it. A lot. Learn to land right. Don't break your neck.
I am quite seriously glad I've been snowboarding for years on the dry slope at Hillend - this one time, at band camp*, I decided to jump a tennis net (both feet together). The first time (when I was trying to show off) went fine. The second time (which was just me trying to get from A to B slightly faster than by going round past C), I caught my feet on the top of the (taut) net and fell. If I hadn't learned how to fall through spending years as a poor snowboarder, I would've probably broken one or more fingers or wrists. However, I got away with merely a bloody mess on each arm (which congealed within an hour or so to look quite disgusting).

*it was this year, and it was actually just the orchestra, but I've always wanted to say this
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

And then John was a zombie.
I got "into" parkour from a friend I've never met, and then starting messing around a bit, and then summer came and I was away from school, with it's buildings for a long time, and then there was bike racks, which didn't help some, but helped other stuff, and then there was a bike shed put over the bike racks, so I've not done anything PKlike in a long time :(
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Practice until you can take off at a full run, jump and roll on the ground, pop back up and keep running with minimal slowdown.

I have some low-top canvas Converse imitations bought for £11 from Asda and they'd be perfect for parkour. They're tough, insanely comfortable, grippy and you can feel everything through them. Really helps with co-ordination to know what's under your feet. Only problem is that right now they're held together by duct tape.

So get some baseball boots, I guess. Cheaper the better, probably.

I really want to learn parkour as well.

FT: I just looked on the facebook of this American girl who was at our school for a term before she had to go back home. She has a picture of herself with a weighted companion cube in place of her head, and when she came over a month or so ago and was going out with friends she lamented that she didn't have her laptop saying "But what if I want to play Half-Life while we're in the restaurant?"...

I really regret not getting to know this girl...

The above was written before the thread got split, so ignore it plox.
Last edited by thecommabandit on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Account20151023

Re: Parkour! (grown from the fungus of Fleeting Thoughts)

Postby Account20151023 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

One thing I would stress is wearing a padded beanie and something very cushiony along your shoulders. Rolls keep you from breaking your legs, but it still can hurts like WHOA if you displace a good bit of the energy into your shoulders.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Awia wrote:

I have some low-top canvas Converse imitations bought for £11 from Asda and they'd be perfect for parkour. They're tough, insanely comfortable, grippy and you can feel everything through them. Really helps with co-ordination to know what's under your feet. Only problem is that right now they're held together by duct tape.

So get some baseball boots, I guess. Cheaper the better, probably.

I really want to learn parkour as well.
Yeah, I got some converse cheap while I was in America, outlet mall and Columbus day sale, what can go wrong? I've been thinking about learning Parkour for a while now you see.
FT: I just looked on the facebook of this American girl who was at our school for a term before she had to go back home. She has a picture of herself with a weighted companion cube in place of her head, and when she came over a month or so ago and was going out with friends she lamented that she didn't have her laptop saying "But what if I want to play Half-Life while we're in the restaurant?"...

Wrong thread I think :P

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:FT: I just looked on the facebook of this American girl who was at our school for a term before she had to go back home. She has a picture of herself with a weighted companion cube in place of her head, and when she came over a month or so ago and was going out with friends she lamented that she didn't have her laptop saying "But what if I want to play Half-Life while we're in the restaurant?"...

Wrong thread I think :P

Not my fault! I posted before it got split! O_O

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Parkour Toronto may be of some help.

My friend started frequenting the site, and going to some of the meetups when he came to Toronto for school this year, and he's been having a blast. I ended up going to one of the meetups with him, actually, and I'd highly reccomend going to one as well, if there's groups in your area. They were incredibly friendly, and really open to newcomers joining who had no clue where to start.

I got to do some basic stuff, like small vaults, rolling, proper landing and such, and it was definitely a good time. I believe the website I linked to above has some tutorial vids/articles my friend said were handy, plus a fairly active forum if anyone wants more info.
The Horrible Fanfare - A Journalist's blog.
bigglesworth wrote:Steve Zissou! Steve Zissou!
Will you do the fandango?

wst

Postby wst » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

I would, but I am such a wimp. I bought rollerblades, managed to move a bit on the balcony, decided to try in more space. Put boots on, stood up, then the blades moved. Oh shit, I was bricking it.
I haven't worn them since. I don't see myself parkouring much :( despite it being awesome.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Angelic Hellraiser

Postby Angelic Hellraiser » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:01 am UTC

I've always wanted to learn how to do it, but I live in the most rural part of New Hampshire. Seriously.

I need to move to a place with many close, low buildings. And get in shape...
But, what do I know? I'm just a lonely shoe-maker...

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:30 am UTC

I want to learn some Parkour stuff too. I do want to actually have someone teach me, because there are basics you need to know if you don't want to kill yourself (like how to roll, land properly, etc).

And then after learning that, I want to get a group of people together to do this with for fun. The earliest any of this might happen for me is next year when I enter University, but I'm not so sure it'll actually come to be.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:38 am UTC

RIPPY! Good too see you again.

Honestly, parkour's a feeling-type thing. As for rolling, you can teach yourself. What you don't typically hear is that parkour is kindof like skiing. There are different levels at which it operates. And higher altitude doesn't necessarily mean more difficult or more dangerous. What IS dangerous is not scoping out your route ahead of time if you're inexperienced. It's all about having a point A and a point B and knowing how to get there before you go. Start with going through a multi-level parking garage, over cars and ledges. Don't drop any further than maybe 10 feet when you start out. That should get you the feel you need to do harder level runs.

Aura Nightbane

Postby Aura Nightbane » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:05 am UTC

Angelic Hellraiser wrote:I've always wanted to learn how to do it, but I live in the most rural part of New Hampshire. Seriously.

I need to move to a place with many close, low buildings. And get in shape...

i to live in a place not suited for parkour.

its kinda odd, i noticed that the second i became interested in parkour(about a month ago, trying to get more fit, so that i can actually start training), the world has become increasingly aware of it(and freerunning as well), its odd really

tmcfulton

Postby tmcfulton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:03 am UTC

I would assume that's due to Mirror's Edge.

Aura Nightbane

Postby Aura Nightbane » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:12 am UTC

could be, or it could just be that its becoming popular, either way, im not liking it, i got into it to relieve stress, and well everyone that i know(the people that cause most of my stress) are getting into it as well, and its just making it more stressful for me.

but anyway, im weak, need to become more fit in general, so its going to be a good bit of time before i can actually really start training.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 am UTC

Awia wrote:I wonder where I can learn Parkour, The only site I can find for it in my town is this, but I don't trust the lack of grammar.

Or the fact that one of their teachers is called Ninja...

My experience is that many of the 'masters' of parkour aren't great with grammar and are prone to call themselves things like 'ninja'

One day, I will try parkour, I've already done several things on my 'list of extreme(ish) things to do or learn before middle age' like jump out of a plane, fencing, and learning to wakeboard, it's only a matter of time before I get to parkour.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:44 am UTC

so according to this, what I've been doing for most of my life could be called parkour. read: I like climbing things then jumping off of them.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:39 am UTC

I used to do parkour (before I knew it was called parkour). Then I fucked my knee in a biking accident. I run too much, my leg gives way... Sucky mc suck.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

kinigget wrote:so according to this, what I've been doing for most of my life could be called parkour. read: I like climbing things then jumping off of them.

Damn straight, as long as you roll afterwards.

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:47 pm UTC

Awia wrote:I wonder where I can learn Parkour, The only site I can find for it in my town is this, but I don't trust the lack of grammar.

Or the fact that one of their teachers is called Ninja...

While researching parkour and talking to people in my area who've done it, I found and have been recommended to Zanshin Studios for tutorials on the basics of parkour.

Parkour looks really neat, and I'm going to give it a try, but the people from the EdPk group said I should probably condition myself before I go out and start jumping =\ Then they'll teach me how to fall and stuff, so it's okay.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:I can jump 2,5 meters out of a standstill

I have serious doubts about your ability to jump such that the soles of your shoes are half a meter over my head...from a standstill. No offense.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Obviously his shoes are made of unobtanium.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

wst

Postby wst » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

I thought he meant horizontally.

Or these
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Lord Aurora wrote:

I have serious doubts about your ability to jump such that the soles of your shoes are half a meter over my head...from a standstill. No offense.

Horizontally, I think.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

I present to you the ultimate in parkour footwear.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4184093

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

Good shoes or barefoot. And practice jumping up and down lots lots lots on a completely flat surface. Slight dips will mess with your ankles and you'll be out for a week or two.

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Istrom wrote:While researching parkour and talking to people in my area who've done it, I found and have been recommended to Zanshin Studios for tutorials on the basics of parkour.

Parkour looks really neat, and I'm going to give it a try, but the people from the EdPk group said I should probably condition myself before I go out and start jumping =\ Then they'll teach me how to fall and stuff, so it's okay.
Thank you for the site, I'd seen it before but I never clicked to look for it again.

Me and my girlfriend are going to go and start practising when we have some time, just jumps and rolls at the moment though.

Chfan

Re: Parkour

Postby Chfan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

I saw this in the fleeting thoughts thread. clicked it, and got interested fast. I'm 14 years old, short, and a little out of shape but not like I'm fat- I'm just not particularly strong. Should I even try or find something else?
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:
Lord Aurora wrote:

Horizontally, I think.

...makes more sense. Please don't let me post before noon again.
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Awia wrote:Thank you for the site.

No problem

BomanTheBear wrote:I present to you the ultimate in parkour footwear.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4184093

I actually used to have a pair of these, they were awesome but I wasn't allowed to go out with them without a helmet/elbow/knee-pads

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:45 am UTC

These are nice.

I got them last year. They're awesome.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote: Slight dips will mess with your ankles and you'll be out for a week or two.
True that. I jumped into the corridor leading into the exam hall once. Up elevation 3/4 foot, 3 feet horizontal, but there's a 1" lip that the door fits into, and a concrete step on the outside (I was jumping inwards). I hit the lip with my toes. KO'd my ankle. Limped to the bus after the exam. That's partly why I don't try big stuff, if I can cock up simple stuff like that...

jbn

Postby jbn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 am UTC

Just finished the campaign of the First-Person Running-game Mirror's Edge. I really enjoyed it.

I've been toying with the idea of doing parkour now and then. The game made me pick up this interest again. We'll see if I start practicing again, I need to do a lot more body-weight exercises though as I'm really not very good at lifting myself, which can be a problem.
Don't question that, it's a rhetoric answer.
Crai, a cyberpunk project
My assorted artwork at deviantart

Return to “Fit Club”