Shakleton is getting in shape and he needs YOUR help!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Shakleton

Shakleton is getting in shape and he needs YOUR help!

Postby Shakleton » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Hi everyone! :D

I chicked out of making this thread for a week or so but sometime I have to do it. So why not now?
I am quite desperate in my current position and I need help. So, since you are the online-community I trust the most, I'm posting here.

I will be completely straightforward and perfectly honest to you and I will tell you anything relevant you want to know. If you want to help me, the best way to do so probably is to be hell-of-straightforward as well. "Well, more excercising might help you" doesn't nearly do as much for me as "You lazy idiot, get off your chair and start doing push-ups already!" as I am no big fan of "hidden text". :wink:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: You have the explicit licence to be as rude to me as you want!

So, please help me! I need you!

Why am I doing this?
Well, I feel more and more uncomfortable with my being overweight. I pretty much have been since I was 6 or 7 due to the circumstances that my grandmother was staying at our house and did the cooking for us and I always could eat as much as I wanted until I was stuffed.
In our current society however, this is some sort of a negative factor in social life and for my self esteem in genereal. Furthermore, I think I could do very much better with my peers of the opposite sex if I wasn't as overweight as I am.

<tl;dr> I don't want to die a fat and smelly virgin! :x [/captain obvious]

Where do I start?
I am an 18 years old male (turned 18 just last thursday), I am quite tall (1 meter and 96 centimeters. That's about 6,43 ft) and quite heavy. (aprox. 105 kg = 210 lbs at the moment). Unfortunately, that's not because of heavy bones or anything like that. It's just the fat wobbling around my body. And I'm sick of it by now. I want to get rid of it, I really do. :evil: I think it would make me feel better is so many ways (As in: less bad concience, feeling/being more attractive for girls and so on and so on :D )

<tl;dr> Me, Male, 18 y/o, 231.5 lbs

What do I want to accomplish?
My first goal is to reach 100 kg = 200 lbs and my second goal is to reach 95 kg = 190 lbs on the one hand and getting in good shape on the other hand. I want to lose all that additional body fat I carry around with myself on waist, stomach, thighs and in form of "boobs" (as a friend of mine calls them... :? )

<tl;dr> Less fat, lose 22-25 lbs, gain muscles

How do I do that?
Obvious method is obvious: Eat less and do more sports. But here comes the difficult part:

:arrow: 1. I am sort of a sugar-addict. :!:
No joke. It's not as bad as a drug-addiction but if I don't get some chocolate from time to time I do get bad mood and the urge to buy tons of chocolate grows bigger and bigger. I end up on my sofa with a empty package of chocolate hating myself. (I accidentially the whole package) Whoch puts me in a bad mood again. And what's the easiest solution to a bad mood? You guessed it. More chocolate! That's a vicious circle!

:arrow: 2. I have problems doing sports. :!:
Because I can't stand it when people are looking at me when I do sports. I am always very embarassed because I'm such a noob in sports and I always get horrificaly uncomfortable when somebody watches me. (I've been mobbed quite a lot in primary school / kids are so cruel! :cry: )
The problem is that I seem to not have the stamina for sports I could do on my own. If nobody controls me, I get lazy and don't do it hating myself again.

<tl;dr>
If somebody watches me --> I'm terribly uncomfortabel which is a bad setting for getting the right lesson from sports
And if nobody watches me --> I probably won't do it or hold on very long

Seems like what I need is somebody who shouts at me without looking at me.... see the problem? :idea:

Sport, that I actually like:
Riding my bicycle. That's one sport I enjoy. Nobody looks at for more than a couple of seconds and in things like driving to school I was able to establish some kind of a regular routine. (*success*) When I've got my driver's license, I'm promised a new bike as well. (Well, I have to pay for it but nevermind) :D

Sports, that I might like once I'm in shape:
Riding my bike (see above)
Running (I think that's a good sport to keep in shape / I dream of running a marathon one day)
Martial Arts [karate?] (A great way to stay in shape and you learn how to defense yourself as well. Sport Problem 1 stands in the way)
Fencing (Very elegant 'n stuff. That's just a copy-floppy idea, though)

I already got a possible reward for myself when I reach the 190 lbs - border. As you may know, I am a huge fan of the Matrix-movies (hence the martial arts stuff) and I just recently found a website that sells those uber-cool sunglasses they wear in the films 8). I thought about getting 2 of those (Probably Smith/Neo) as a long-time reward, as something I could work for.

As you can see, I really do need help and I would appreciate it a lot if some of you would help me with getting in shape. I'm afraid I won't make it alone...
Thank you very much in advance!

Yours, Shakleton
Last edited by Shakleton on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

Ledah

Re: Shakleton is getting in shape and he needs YOUR help!

Postby Ledah » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

Hey. I just wrote something similar in a different thread, so I'll just quote a part and expand on it.

Now, there's that thing about exercise. I'm afraid there's really no way around it. Besides the good old cardio, you should build yourself some muscle. Muscle is pretty much your best friend in the world; not only you'll lose fat while building it up, but they'll also be there burning down calories for you while you're not actively using them. There's no need to get a muscular body like a professional athlete, but doing exercises like push ups and sit ups can move and strengthen a great deal of muscles. The 100 push up plan that's around this forum is a great example. Low time commitment, very well dosed for starters, and great results. Try something similar for sit ups or skipping rope. (Skipping rope is great for your legs and excellent cardio at same time. I went from dying from 50 jumps to doing several hundreds without breaking a sweat when I was doing gymn as part of tennis practice.)

Just remember, if you lose more than 1-2 kg per week, you're very likely to get them back later, because that's pretty much top rate for fat burning without starving yourself. More means you're also losing muscle and/or water mass, which is certainly not what you want.

As for staying focused, keep updating your thread, making commitments people can check on. Tell your friends what you have planned so you can't just say "nah I don't feel like it". Get a friend to jog with you regularly if you live in a good place for it. Usually, having to answer to someone if you miss your objectives is a pretty powerful incentive, and makes you feel less lonely in your task. Good luck!

The key in there is essentially that there's no diet in the world that will help you if you don't exercise. Sure you can starve yourself thin, but then two months later you'll be even fatter than before and with much less stamina and energy. As for food, lots of vegetables and fruit, less meat (but still have some, mainly red meat), drink plenty of water, avoid the usual criminals, you can get a lot of good hints from other threads around. A very important point, specially in your case, is that you don't go deny yourself totally the stuff you like. If you walking down the road and REALLY feel like a chocolate, just go buy it and eat it. Try to not overdo it of course, but if you constantly deny yourself that, you increase the chances of succumbing to your desire and having a lot more than you would have otherwise. Another good advice is having a large salad or a soup right before the rest of the meal. Trust me, you'll eat less of the bad stuff when you have your stomach half full already.

As for picking your sport, there's stuff that you can do away from people like push ups and sit ups. Cycling is great, running is great, swimming is great if you do it at a good enough speed to get your heart pumping, and i stand by my opinion that skipping rope is uber (you can also do that last one away from people if you have a garden or a very high ceiling). Ignore the looks! Think that with time you'll be the one looking at them and pitying their lack of physical resistance.

Resuming:

1-) Exercise LOTS, but gradually. Start slow or you'll just kill yourself. Do the 100 push up plan starting this monday and confirm your results or I'll be back cracking the whip. Get a similar one for sit ups and do it in the in between days. Go cycling or jogging with a friend regularly, but remember to rest a day if you overdo it.

2-) Eat more healthy, which isn't the same as eating less. Consult a nutrition professional if you must, they can give you plenty of good hints.

3-) REMEMBER that it's not instant. 1-2 kg per week is already a very good progress that most people don't get. Remember that while you lose fat you'll gain muscle, at least at first. While the weight doesn't go down as much, you got to admit muscle looks pretty damn better than fat.

4-) Never give up. It's way easier to gain than to lose, specially if you have a tendency to get fat on your body fast. Giving up even for a week can be costly.

Good luck, and keep reporting!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

You're taller than me, and weigh 100 lbs less...

*facestab*

Ok, well, seriously, if you're a big eater like me, I have found a very, VERY excellent method, and it's worked for me for the past 6 weeks. My caloric intake has dropped considerably, and I don't get hunger pangs OR blood sugar / insulin spikes. I've lost a couple pounds, mostly from the dieting, since my exercise has (sadly) not been nearly as intensive as I'd like.

http://www.tomvenuto.com/

As mentioned in my blog, I have the book, and I'd love to share it with you *cough* as long as you PROMISE to pay for it *cough* eventually *cough*.

I am 27 years old, and I was raised on Metallica... I am very cynical. Very, very few parts of this book set off my bullshitometer, and that alone impressed me. He doesn't shy away from the math when it's required, or the big 'sciencey' words. It's an excellent read, and this, more than ANYTHING, has made the biggest influence and change to my eating habits.

The book is also very in synch with the prvious post.... muscle burns energy even when it's not doing anything. This is a fun mammallian truth. Cardio is good to burn calories at a stretch, but muscle training is important to make sure that your weight loss isn't muscle loss. It mentions many ways to get lots of protein, and good ways to exercise large muscle groups quickly and easily (well, not EASILY... it will probably hurt a lot for the first few weeks.)

Next up... http://www.bodyweightculture.com . EXCELLENT exercise- and nutrition-based website / forum (don't be spooked by the title... they aren't about the Culture Of Low Body Weight, but rather exercising using only your body's weight, instead of expensive machines). They have a serious hate-on for most weight loss fads and gimmicks, resorting entirely to exercise, weight training, and nutrition (a lot of them even eschew protein powders). Very friendly, very helpful, and tips every week for new exercises, just to see if you can do them.

Hope this helps, ya skinny bastard...

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Hi again! :-)

Thank you very much for the quick answers. I think they already do a lot.

Lessons learned:

• Weight loss goes hand in hand with muscle gain to obtain my goal
  • Good sports for me: Cycling, running, working out, maybe swimming
  • Excersises that fit me: Sit-ups, Push-ups, rope-skipping
  • Eat less meat (I am going to effing hate that as I love meat)
  • It will take a long time but it will be friggin' worth it!(!!)

I promised honest reports so here goes my problem with running.
I don't have a lack of running tracks. I have some sort of small forest with a small stream on the one and a freshly-shiny-new-build running track (with mulch) on the other side of my house. Both are quite near. Actually the new track would not be there without me. My father got the idea when I said that I would not use a track similar to this one because it was on the other end of town. So, he got encouraged and today was the opening of the track. Great.
My problem is that I am out of breath quite instantly. I can *jog* for about 500, maybe 600 meters but no longer. (The new track is about 700 meters) and I can *run* maybe 100-150 meters. That's pathetic. And I am afraid of going to that track because everybody you meet is some sort of super-athletic guy who just does his daily 10 rounds. See my problem number 2. I get extremely embarassed although they do nothing. It's just a reflex from childhood to be embarassed when others see me doing that.

:idea: *gets an idea* :idea:
Hmm, I have a friend who lives about a kilometer from that track away. And he's overweight as well. I think, he's a little fatter than I am but he is in better shape though. Up to his 18th bithday in June he was member of the Young Fire-Fighters. Maybe I can get him to be my regular jogging partner. (As you said.) I will ask him the next time I meet him in a good mood. (He's extremely temperamental. You never know what you get as an answer to "Good morning"...)

As for the Push-Ups.
Neat! :D I checked out the 100-Push-ups Plan and I think it's a great idea. My P.E.-Teacher *loves* Push-Ups. And If I was able to do 100 push-ups for Christmas I think I would blow his mind. Hmmm, I like that! :-) I think I won't be done after 6 weeks since I'm not even into Push-Ups for 1 "proper" Push-Up. What I do is some sort of "Only-half-the-way-or-less"-Push-Up. So I need training. But I am willing to do that.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:http://www.tomvenuto.com/

As mentioned in my blog, I have the book, and I'd love to share it with you *cough* as long as you PROMISE to pay for it *cough* eventually *cough*.

I am 27 years old, and I was raised on Metallica... I am very cynical. Very, very few parts of this book set off my bullshitometer, and that alone impressed me. He doesn't shy away from the math when it's required, or the big 'sciencey' words. It's an excellent read, and this, more than ANYTHING, has made the biggest influence and change to my eating habits.

Sounds great. :D If you still want to, the skinny bastard would be insta-uber-glad he could participate on that. Especially because I'm a cynical person as well and hence I know what the text you wrote means. It's one of the greatest recomonndations possible. *cough* I think we'll find an arragement for the payment as well. Do you have paypal? *cough* :wink:

Things to do this week:

• Start the 100-Pushups-plan
  • Buy a skipping rope
  • Create some sort of excercise-plan for every day
  • start to create some sort of graph (How does "weight-after-shower" against time sound?)
  • set up a nice big picture of the sunglasses as motivation.

Oh, and one, well... two, last things:

Ledah wrote:4-) Never give up.

Why do I feel slightly verbal-rickrolled?
Although one the next lines "never run around" would be counter-productive as I should indeed run around more often.

Ledah wrote:Keep reporting.

I will! You have my word on regulary and completely honest reports!

Thank you very much, again. :)

Yours, Shakleton

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

RE: Eating less meat.... the important things to avoid are beef and pork (sadly, the manly ones) as they are loaded with Saturated Fat, aka "The Fat That Does Nothing Good". Chicken and tuna are good substitutes, along with qinuoa and beans. Vegetarian chili is your friend. (I am a hardcore meatatarian, so I feel your pain). I am currently having leftover baked beans for breakfast.... loaded with fibre and protein, and one thing you'll learn from the book: carbs are NOT the enemy, if you do it right.

Also, send me your e-mail addie. *cough*

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Also, send me your e-mail addie. *cough*

You've got mail!

As for the rest:
Fish does absolutely nothing for me. I hate fish with every particle in my body. And no matter what you do, you will not make me a person who likes to eat fish, I'm sorry. I'll see what I can do about the chicken, though. Chicken turns out to be not only better from a fat-point-of-view but also from an save-the-enviroment-point-of-view since chickens don't spend their lives belching the atmosphere full of methane.

YaY, 2 reasons for eating more chicken.

As for baked beans: I like them in a way but you don't get them very often here in Germany. Do you anything about Kidney-beans? (Because I like them very much)

Yours, Shakleton

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Well, vegetarian chili is good anywhere. Basically just tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, pot barley and red lentils (that makes two sources of complete protein per serving, roughly equivalent to meat)and tasty spices: garlic, onions, peppers, bit of honey, paprika, etc. Just about any n atural foods store, and most grocery stores, will have all those ingredamints. Qinuoa is a cereal-grain, and it's also a complete protein (afaik, the only plant that is). Cheap, and can be added to anything. Also, eggs are your friend. Hard-boiled is best, so you don't fry all of the good fats into bad fats. But, the book goes into some of his sample meals, like brown rice pancakes (which are surprisingly good!)

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

My problem is that I am out of breath quite instantly. I can *jog* for about 500, maybe 600 meters but no longer. (The new track is about 700 meters) and I can *run* maybe 100-150 meters. That's pathetic. And I am afraid of going to that track because everybody you meet is some sort of super-athletic guy who just does his daily 10 rounds. See my problem number 2. I get extremely embarassed although they do nothing. It's just a reflex from childhood to be embarassed when others see me doing that.

Well, I've ran around playing all sort of sports since I was 6 so I can hardly help you by personal experience, but I can say you this: stick with it and you'll be amazed. For now, jog while you can. If you really run out of breath don't stop! Just start walking/jogging slower while you get yourself together and then recover. Remember to keep you breathing controlled, inhale through your nose, exhale through your mouth with a set rhythm right from the start (I know some people that only start doing it once they are out of breath, which kind of defeats the purpose of it). Remember that as you get a stronger heart and more muscle carrying less weight it'll get easier and easier. Try a small sprint in the end. If your friend can jog with you it's great!

As for the people there, since it seems to be a closed circuit without risking getting a unheard car crashing into you, why not run with a mp3 if you're doing it alone? Concentrate on the breathing and on the music and you'll barely notice the people passing.

The never give up thing was meant to say that small "vacation" time can cost you plenty and that you should watch out for it. No rick roll pun intended :D

For the weighting, it's good as long as you do it in similar conditions. Right after waking up with an empty bladder is usually the most realistic, since you won't have anything in your stomach at the time.

Keep up the spirit and I'm positive you'll end up meeting your goals and most importantly, feeling great :)

PS
I'm gonna start that push up plan as well... time to stop being lazy! I used to do plenty of push ups (never 100 though) but now i'm back to my old misery :p

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

Ledah wrote:there's no diet in the world that will help you if you don't exercise

Diet is much more important than exercise when attempting to lose body fat. Exercise is simply icing on the cake.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:very few parts of this book set off my bullshitometer

The book in question contains numerous factual errors and personal opinions unsupported by science. I don't recommend it.

Shakleton wrote:I am sort of a sugar-addict

You only have to go through withdrawal once to overcome the addiction. After that you won't have a constant hunger for sugar. Perhaps reminding yourself of this will give you the self-discipline needed to finally do it once and for all.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:the important things to avoid are beef and pork (sadly, the manly ones) as they are loaded with Saturated Fat, aka "The Fat That Does Nothing Good"

This is rubbish. Saturated fats play a vital role in the human body.There has never been a single study proving that they cause cardiovascular disorder, cancer, atherosclerosis or anything of the sort.

Shakleton, if you're serious about losing your excess body fat and becoming very fit then take up CrossFit. It's much more effective than anything that's been written in this thread so far.

PoohBear

Postby PoohBear » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:23 am UTC

exercise is the most important thing in whatever form. It burns calories and builds muscle. The muscle that you build will burn additional calories. Eating healthy is, of course, also very important. two years ago i did exactly what you are trying to do now by joining my schools cross-country team

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

Victoria Maddison wrote:Shakleton, if you're serious about losing your excess body fat and becoming very fit then take up CrossFit. It's much more effective than anything that's been written in this thread so far.

I thought CrossFit looked interesting, but I found it to be rather out of my reach, so I wouldn't be surprised if Shakleton were to feel the same (not wanting to be discouraging, obviously, but just pointing it out). The need for equipment is a slight issue, but obviously not insurmountable. Beyond that, though, is the fact that without a good (above average, even?) baseline fitness level and knowledge of good technique there seems to be little way to be a 'beginner' at CrossFit. I wouldn't know how to perform the lifts without potentially injuring myself; I doubt that I'd be able to perform many of the workouts at the suggested intensity without injury, but I don't have the knowledge about how to reduce them or by how much without going too far or not far enough - hell, I wouldn't even be sure from how I felt whether I was just getting a good workout, flailing about with no benefit, or on my way to getting hurt. As it is I stick to 'safe' exercises (push ups, running, cycling, swimming), at least for now.

[Edit] Also, on another note:
Shakleton wrote:I am sort of a sugar-addict.

Just remember, every time you pick up a chocolate bar, you're making a choice. You are deciding that the happiness you will gain from eating it is greater than the happiness you will lose from gaining weight. That's all it really comes down to: you've made a trade-off, just as we all do every day. If you're not happy with that trade-off any more, then stop making it. You're probably now thinking "but that'd be unpleasant" or something along those lines; if it would be more unpleasant, in your opinion, than gaining/not losing weight, then continue to eat the chocolate. If it would be less unpleasant, don't eat it. Just be entirely rational and analytical about it, and remember there's no right or wrong about eating the chocolate or gaining weight (or anything else really, but that's wayyyyy off topic!), there's only the impact it has on your happiness.

The same can be applied to your exercise problem. You feel bad when exercising in front of people - is this feeling more or less unpleasant than being unhappy with your weight? Are the benefits of exercising in public significant compared to those of exercising in private? If so, are they enough to outweigh the misery it causes you? Etc. Etc.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:59 pm UTC

When it comes to convenience food, I've been 98% clean for 6 weeks now, thanks to one little way of looking at it... I walk by the Husky station, or the 7-11, or the Subway, or Kwans, and I look at the building for a long moment (or if at home, the fridge / cupboard) and I say to myself, out loud (but quietly) "I'm losing weight by NOT eating that."

It's amazing how easy it becomes to resist it from that point on. A 300 calorie chocolate bar means you're losing 1/12th of a lb by just not eating it, where before you would have.

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

DAY 1

My current weight*: 231.04 lbs / 104,8 kg

*taken naked after the shower in the morning with empty bladder. Those are from now on called "standard conditions"

Very stressfull day today. Went to school (bike!), had 6 hard lessons (ok that's not much), got back, spend the entire afternoon working on an Ireland-Project I had to do for my school, went back to school (my mother brought me by car, due to lack of time) handed in the project, got back, took a 2 hour driving lesson in the dark. And now that I am all exhausted and long for sweet sleep I can finally start with my homework....

:x :x :x

Anyways, I probably won't be able to start the 100-Pushups today, but I will try tomorrow. (Honest Report) I'm looking forward to tomorrow since it's House MD time in Germany. :D

As for fitness, the only notable (notable? noteable?) thing was a fast time in biking back home. (Due to Project-Stress)
As for willpower, I survived even this stressfull day without extra sugar. Chewing gum rocks! :twisted:

Thanks to you all for your responses!

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:When it comes to convenience food, I've been 98% clean for 6 weeks now, thanks to one little way of looking at it... I walk by the Husky station, or the 7-11, or the Subway, or Kwans, and I look at the building for a long moment (or if at home, the fridge / cupboard) and I say to myself, out loud (but quietly) "I'm losing weight by NOT eating that."

It's amazing how easy it becomes to resist it from that point on. A 300 calorie chocolate bar means you're losing 1/12th of a lb by just not eating it, where before you would have.

I think that strategy might be very well suited for me as well. I love it. Thanks.

As for the CrossFit note:

CrossFit responds that its high intensity and competitive atmosphere are not for everyone.

I think that says all, really. I am not that much into the topic but from what I've read it seems to be.... rather hard. I don't think that's the right thing to do for me atm since I am not only out of shape but in no shape at all. Not a good point for extreme-excercising.

Victoria Maddison wrote:
Ledah wrote:there's no diet in the world that will help you if you don't exercise

Diet is much more important than exercise when attempting to lose body fat.

Ok, I'm sort of getting mixed signals here. Victoria, could you explain why exactly excercising isn't all that important?

Victoria Maddison wrote:Exercise is simply icing on the cake.

You had to use that metaphor, didn't you?

Ok, so much for today.
See you soon! Thank you very much!

Yours, Shakleton
Last edited by Shakleton on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Hoy!

I know how tough can be fitting exercise with a stressful day, but as long as you stay active (riding your bike did that) it's not a big issue. Also, remember your brain is the hungriest part of your body! If you doing a lot of hard thinking it counts as something as well. ( I for one need to eat always after an exam or test, even if I ate one or two hours before :P) Edit: After fact checking, it's apparently 15% of the body's glucose consumption. Also, hard thinking can burn up to 1.5 calories per minute!

About the diet vs exercise thing... I'll try to explain as best as possible. What I meant before was, no matter how well you eat, you have to burn something. Assuming you don't go on a retarded starvation diet, you'll always be taking in a healthy amount of calories, which have to go somewhere. If you sit on your chair/car/workplace chair/car/chair, you get a slow metabolism which will use up next to nothing. Sure you are eating healthy, you won't get any fatter. But you won't get thinner either.

Now, the opposite can be said too. If you go on a exercise frenzy, but then get home and down a whole package of sugar covered chocolate cookies or something with more fat than meat, you might as well try to lose weight by banging your head repeatedly on the wall. They're both important and neither should be neglected.

Hope that cleared it up and keep up the spirit!

WaywardAngel

Postby WaywardAngel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

You're just starting out, so remember that baby steps are fine, so long as they're mostly in the right direction. Here's some starters, these should be uncontroversial (I hope):

1. Drink lots of water and avoid sugary soft-drinks as you would a swarm of angry, angry bees.

2. You can't really have too many portions of fruit and vegetables - eat them often, try new things if nothing conventional takes your fancy.

3. Breakfast is important, please don't skip it.

4. Lean protein will fill you up much more quickly and healthfully than bread/cereal/crisps etc. As an added bonus you need plenty of protein to add muscle, so enjoy your eggs, chicken, turkey and so forth.

As for exercise, I'd suggest you start off with a mixture of press-ups, chin-ups, lunges and crunches. None of these require any equipment, so can be done without anyone else around. The one rule is progress; make up a routine for yourself, and try to increase its difficulty each week, either through increased reps, shorter rest breaks or by adding weight to some of the exercises.

Good luck, and have fun :)

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

Corollaries: eggs at breakfast = awesome. I have 3 eggs, and at first I think "I need more food, I NEED MORE FOOD", and yet, in 45 minutes, I'm thinking "ooohhh, so full... eggs are good...." As long as you work those suckers off right away, they're a perfect breakfast. Secondly, I've just completed my third 5lb bag of apples in 6 weeks, and I'm loving it. ANYtime I want a snack, I have an apple first, and then see if I'm still hungry. And thirdly, water is your friend. I have about 1L more water per day than I did before, and yet I'm shedding water weight. WOO!

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Shakleton wrote:My current weight*: 209,6 lbs / 104,8 kg

Your calculations are off by just over 20%.

Shakleton wrote:I'm sort of getting mixed signals here. Victoria, could you explain why exactly excercising [sic] isn't all that important?

Exercise is important for health and fitness. However when it comes to losing body fat the most significant contributing factor is diet. I'm not going to write up another essay because I doubt anyone would read it, but if you want to learn something about the deposition of lipids in adipose tissue then see my large post in the milk thread. A CrossFit style diet would do you a world of good.

recurve boy

Postby recurve boy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:24 am UTC

Shakleton wrote:As for the CrossFit note:

CrossFit responds that its high intensity and competitive atmosphere are not for everyone.

I think that says all, really. I am not that much into the topic but from what I've read it seems to be.... rather hard. I don't think that's the right thing to do for me atm since I am not only out of shape but in no shape at all. Not a good point for extreme-excercising.

It scales to the person. And you don't have to be competitive. My local XFit runs classes in the morning like an aerobics class and the trainer will make sure that the workout is scaled to the person. It's very good just in terms of efficiency. So it's worth putting their methods into practice. You get more time for other fun things!

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

Ok, thanks to some fora-update-complete-mashup I've been unable to log onto xkcd for a while. MightyJalapeno and davean were so kind to fix this for me. So. Now. Giant update as I have to post for two days. Hold your breath!

Day 2

My current weight: 103,8 kg // 228.84 lbs

Wait, wtf? Shakleton, how did you loose a whole kilogram in one day? Did you cut off a foot or something?
-- No. My bathroom scales have this funny thing. They are digital speaking scales. (Is it correct to use plural?) They do so because my father is blind and he got these scales for last christmas so he doesn't have to ask us all the time. So the results are some sort of funny mixture of actual weight, measurement error and the momentum you have when you get on the scales. (The faster you step on the lower your weight. Nice motivator for mondays. :D ) So, I think those results will evebtually mediate out. :?

So, yesterday was a very very stressfull day. Over 9000 (10, so to speak) lessons in school straight, without a major break. The last two lessons were P.E. (my teacher hates me for obvious reasons. It's not that I sit in a corner and refuse any movement, I do my best. But my best ist a little bit too pathetic for my teacher. Anyway. After I got home (bike both ways) I actually felt quite good. Like "Oh, yeah, movement good."

I managed my way through the day without any unneccessary sugarbombs. *yay* I ordered a skipping rope as well. :) It became a great evening with House M.D., Monk and a big can of Earl Grey. :D

Day 3

My current weight: 104.6 kg // 230.60 lbs

Today was a little less stressfull, although I had to fight the urge to stuff myself pretty badly. I ended up with a small bag of mixed nuts as lunch. Felt kinda bad later. How bad is that exactly? I know nuts contain a lot of fat but I think I've read that nuts are some sort of "not-THAT-bad"-fat-things. True?

When I'm done with this post, I'm going to pick up .... you know what?.... that's rubbish!
*leaves laptop*
~~~~~
*comes back*
... I just finished day 1 of 100-Push-up-plan. :-) Wasn't too hard. Easy beginning but I still need to get lower to do "really good" push-ups. But I'm going to stick to that plan. My secret goal is to impress said P.E. teacher for christmas. If I really could do 100 pushups by then, I would totally blow his mind. (The super-ultra-sportsguy in our course still did 80 after a lesson of running and other exhausting stuff. So I think 100 is a little bit too high for a goal but let's see where we get.)

On the note of other topics:

Victoria Maddison wrote:
Shakleton wrote:My current weight*: 209,6 lbs / 104,8 kg

Your calculations are off by just over 20%.

Damnit! Stupid American system. I always thought 1 kg = exactly 2 lbs. Ok, I changed the numbers to the correct versions retroactively. Seems like it's worse than I made you believe it was. ;-)

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:[...] Secondly, I've just completed my third 5lb bag of apples in 6 weeks, and I'm loving it. ANYtime I want a snack, I have an apple first, and then see if I'm still hungry. And thirdly, water is your friend. I have about 1L more water per day than I did before, and yet I'm shedding water weight. WOO!

New initiative: I always have a bottle of water near my laptop. Now whenever my stomach goes "hrrr, hungry, hrrrr, need foood!" I drown it first. ;-)
Also, I think of having some apples right up here. Would stop me from being hungry all afternoon and then getting in danger for dinner.

WaywardAngel wrote:3. Breakfast is important, please don't skip it.

You can well damn bet I won't. I'd rather eat nothing but breakfast a whole day than skipping breakfast. I've tried that once. Horrible two days. I'm all like "grr, go away, I'm unhappy! stomach's empty can't concentrate need FOOD grr" all day. No way with me. At the moment, I'm having a bowl of Some-sort-of-crunchy-cereals. You don't have that brand (It's German. And from Bielefeld as well: Dr. Oetker Vitalis less sugar for my fellow Germans here) I'm a big fan of cereal in the morning. Keeps you full for quite a while and gives a lot of energy.

So, so much for today. Thanks for all your great support, it's fantastic to know that I have someone behind me! :-) :-) :-)
Really, it's great. :D
You keep it up, I keep it up! Promise! :wink:

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Hey! I hope you manage to get less stressful days soon :p

It was easy the first day of push ups? Mine too, I did plenty extra ones on last series but my body disagreed the next day :D Still have to do second day today, can't forget. Also, I completely agree with you on the breakfast thing. The last (and only) time I remember not having breakfast my attention span throughout the whole morning was reduced to 5 seconds.

Would stop me from being hungry all afternoon and then getting in danger for dinner.

You mean you don't eat anything between lunch and dinner? :shock: I couldn't live without my yogurt and cheese sandwich halfway through, and on tennis/big bike ride days I eat even more. You should seriously have at least a snack around 3 hours after lunch!

You should photoshop a picture of your PE teacher so he'd have a open mouth of amazement to keep the day you do those 100 push ups on your mind! Although, he'll probably notice you are getting fitter so he won't be as surprised. Him disliking you aside, is he a good PE teacher? I had a really good one once, and all my class (even the most anti-sport "I never want to sweat in my life" girl) would run 30 minutes like it was a walk in the park in the end of the year.

Rock on!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Ledah wrote:You mean you don't eat anything between lunch and dinner? :shock: I couldn't live without my yogurt and cheese sandwich halfway through, and on tennis/big bike ride days I eat even more. You should seriously have at least a snack around 3 hours after lunch!

BFFM = very big on eating every 3 hours.

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Ledah wrote:You mean you don't eat anything between lunch and dinner? :shock: I couldn't live without my yogurt and cheese sandwich halfway through, and on tennis/big bike ride days I eat even more. You should seriously have at least a snack around 3 hours after lunch!

BFFM = very big on eating every 3 hours.

Wut?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

The book that I sent to Shakelton, and mentioned several times so far. :)

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Ah, right. Well at least it feels good, so I suppose it should do good too! Also the afternoon yogurt does wonders to keep my digestive track in good condition. I can feel the difference when I miss it for a week or so :p

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Indeed, 3% yogurt with a ton of cinnamon = makes me happy. Cinnamon is basically just fibre, you can't possibly add too much.

robg54

Postby robg54 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Remember that if you do something consistently for I think 3 weeks, it becomes habit forming.

I did this myself a year and a half ago. I was addicted to soda big time. I drank water every day, completely eliminated soda and worked out every day, doing weights on off days and cardio equip every day. Most days I would try and do an hour on the eliptical...

Well, I went frm 205 lbs (as a 6 ft tall male) to 155 lbs over the course of 5 or so months...

Things to remember. It will happen slowly. You want to see lbs drop off immediately, but it is a gradual process, but over time, measured in months, BIG changes are very very possible.

Stay away from diet pills.

If you stop the snacking, on chocolate and the like for a good enough period you really won't even miss it. Like others have said, jut think about what you are giving up to eat it...

Water and fruit is your friend. As is yogurt. These foods are good for you and fill you up and don't make you fat. Eat them and feel great.

justaman

Postby justaman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Ledah wrote:I know how tough can be fitting exercise with a stressful day, but as long as you stay active (riding your bike did that) it's not a big issue. Also, remember your brain is the hungriest part of your body! If you doing a lot of hard thinking it counts as something as well. ( I for one need to eat always after an exam or test, even if I ate one or two hours before :P) Edit: After fact checking, it's apparently 15% of the body's glucose consumption. Also, hard thinking can burn up to 1.5 calories per minute!

Interestingly, the linked article Psychosomatic Medicine 70:797-804 (2008) actually says that hard thinking leads to big meals, but not a lot of extra energy use compared to normal thought.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Indeed, 3% yogurt with a ton of cinnamon = makes me happy. Cinnamon is basically just fibre, you can't possibly add too much.

Wikipedia wrote:Side Effects

Excessive use of cinnamon bark may cause inflamed taste buds, tender gums, and mouth ulcers. Large quantities can change breathing, dilate blood vessels, and cause sleepiness, depression, or even convulsions.

Somehow I doubt that anyone could easily take in enough to cause the more serious effects, at least not without it going from tasty to horrible, but you know about the wrongness and interblag thing: http://xkcd.com/386/. This is totally me, so sorry if I come across as a bit of dick sometimes.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Well, obviously not dangerous levels. It still takes me two weeks to go through a little shaker-bottle of cinnamon.

justaman

Postby justaman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Good to hear. You should try nutmeg, all those things AND psychotropic.

Anyway, enough derailing of thread

Keep it up Shakleton . Just remember you can be heavy and healthy. Also try some swimming and/or aqua jogging, both great cardio workouts and the aquajogging will help with getting fit for running.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:40 am UTC

If you can't run, walk at the fastest pace that you can maintain for 20 or 30 minutes. The goal would be to keep your exercising heart rate in a good range - not too low, but not too high either. Spending 1 minute at 200 beats per minute is probably unhealthy and not that effective anyway.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter. ... ifier=4736

Try spending 30 minutes at, say, 140 beats per minute. Eventually you will have to go faster and faster to maintain that heart rate.

And you will probably only really start to notice over a period of weeks, not days, so be patient.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:48 am UTC

I try to hit 160... the machines at the Canada Games Gym are all state-of-the-art, with heart monitors built into all the handles. Apparently they don't like it when someone my weight breaks 160 and I get warning lights, but it's at 160 that the baggy feelings in my muscles go away, and I can hold that pace for quite a while. It's a great feeling. See if you can get a little wrist heart monitor, they have them at Wal-Mart for twelve bucks, last time I checked. Very cool.

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Like... bump? Long time no update!

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:19 am UTC

I would just like to say, first off, props to you, Shakleton. I admire your motivation and clear cut goals on this matter. I am currently doing the same thing as you, but with less determination. (Like I said, excellent job on that dude).

For my part to help you, I recommend you get a pedometer. If you don't know, it's a device you clip to your belt (or pants) which measures how many steps you are taking each day. If you don't just go for the cheap one, and get one that is a little more expensive, the more accurate it will be.

If you do get one, you should aim for 10,000 steps a day to be healthy. More than that can help with weight loss, but you don't have to start there right away. Gradually build it up, and as long as you take more steps each day, you are doing okay.

The good thing about a pedometer is it motivates you. You look at it, and it gives you constant readings of how many steps you're taking. I recently got one, and I find myself taking the long route rather than a short cut, just because I know it is clocking up. Some pedometers also measure how many calories you're burning. This is also good for if you're wondering if you should have a chocolate bar. Just look at the pedometer and remind yourself that you don't want to lose any progress you've made that day by eating that, and thus it helps to squash those urges.

However, there is one fault with the pedometer. It can make you lazy. If you see you've done 12,000 steps, you're automatically like "I don't need to do any more now!" which can be a danger. If you can, you should always try and do more. So if you decide to get one, beware of that.

That's all for now, hope this helps you man.
Pride of the South since 1990

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:15 am UTC

If you get a pedometer, try to cultivate some cynicism.

"Pssshhh, 12,000 steps? I can do more than that!" *walk walk walk*

alterant

Postby alterant » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

Shakleton wrote:I am sort of a sugar-addict.

Somebody may have mentioned this already, but try having lots of fruit around & eat it whenever you get a sugar craving. It will get rid of the craving and do you some good in the process. E.g., I like to snack on Coronation grapes (smaller & much tastier than others).

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I try to hit 160... the machines at the Canada Games Gym are all state-of-the-art, with heart monitors built into all the handles. Apparently they don't like it when someone my weight breaks 160 and I get warning lights, but it's at 160 that the baggy feelings in my muscles go away, and I can hold that pace for quite a while. It's a great feeling. See if you can get a little wrist heart monitor, they have them at Wal-Mart for twelve bucks, last time I checked. Very cool.

I've always felt that gym heart rate monitors are full of crap. I work at 175-180 on treadmills, bikes and ellipticals. Probably lower on ergs, due to the much slower but more powerful movements.

Shakleton, good for you. It may have been said, but might I point out that when starting out Martial Arts, EVERYONE looks like an idiot? The coaches aren't expecting anything remotely close to good form from you, and they've had lots of experience with people far more overweight.

Don't weigh yourself every day. That's BAD. Weigh yourself once a week at most, at the same time (before breakfast is best). Your weight fluctuates daily; you need to hold off in order to see the big picture. Also, WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE PROMINENT. It will give you reason to do your exercise.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:03 am UTC

A bit late to the party, but jumping on the cinnamon bandwagon...sprinkle some on our sliced up apples and pears, tis heavenly.

Also, it's known for its sugar regulating properties, and it's like super good for you.

Of course it's also divine with anything chocolate...(can I say that in the fit forum?!)
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:39 am UTC

My next tip is to reply to your own thread. :P
Pride of the South since 1990

Return to “Fit Club”