Tips for the lazy

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

StickFigureLover69

Tips for the lazy

Postby StickFigureLover69 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:13 am UTC

I'm dissatisfied with my body but at the time being I lack the time to do anything about it. And when time is no longer an issue I'm too unmotivated to do something to change myself. Over the winter break I, to my amazement, lost 15 pounds, but I wasn't eating most of that time and that's not how I want to live. As of yesterday I started eating the 2 meals I had taken out. To clarify I am not a couch potato, I am an Ice Hockey goalie and Football nosegaurd, and I'm in decent shape. But I am overweight and upset with my physical appearance, but lack the drive to do the regular excercise it takes to lose weight. I know that good advice may not easy to come by with what I'm asking, but I know my anorexia was not the solution I was looking for.

Avelion

Re: Tips for the lazy

Postby Avelion » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Really the only solutions to your predicament are:

1)Develop the drive to exercise more.
2)Eat a healthy diet low in calories.
3)Find a form of exercise that you really enjoy and don't think about it as exercise.

I chose number three myself in the form of learning Kung Fu. Whirling limbs and weapons around is just so much fun it hardly seems like exercise. That is of course until the next morning when every muscle in my body is screaming at me.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

chipbeef9109

Postby chipbeef9109 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:52 am UTC

You may want to try joining a form of martial arts when you're not doing football or hockey. On top of keeping your body healthy, they train the mind and give you discipline, which will help you organize your entire life.
-- "...this landing is gonna get pretty interesting."
- "Define 'interesting.'
-- "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die."

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:24 am UTC

Avelion wrote:2)Eat a healthy diet low in calories.

If you do this wrong you'll end up losing muscle along with the fat. It's pretty important to keep exercising, increase protein and decrease fats and carbs.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

This is the hardest problem to overcome and really it's all up to you. This article is good: http://www.gittlen.com/rollins.htm

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Step one: stop being lazy.

That's really all there is to it. If you want to get in shape, you have to do the work. There is absolutely no shortcut. Some workouts are more effective than others, but they are all a whole lot of hard work. The only "tip" that makes it easier is to find something that you enjoy doing and can do regularly. Sports are good; you go out because you don't want to let your team down. I actually enjoy my weights program (but it has to be a PROGRAM, with set times, days, and exercises, to help give you more motivation, especially at this stage). The sense of progress even from just a few weeks is great, and I feel so much better when I'm healthy and active. I got my girlfriend lifting weights as well and she agrees that she feels a lot better when she's working out regularly.

The moral of the story is that it is something that is really worth doing, and is totally within your reach. You just have to grab it.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

Become an alpinist, that is come spend time in the mountains, even if you only do gentle walks, the gradient gets your body working, and being outside and going somewhere, to see something makes it much less of an effort than convetional working out.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:Step one: stop being lazy.

You're my dad, aren't you?

It may be within one's reach, but a lot of people (myself included) have a hard time doing it anyways. Saying "Being fit is just a decision, and you haven't made it yet" isn't particularly helpful, or true.

That said, succumbing to laziness is a cop-out (one that I also admit to) but at the moment, I'm content with the cop-out, and that's the problem, and it seems like that's the OP's problem, too. I've decided to be fit and skinny and healthy LOADS of times... so far, decision-making hasn't worked.

What has worked for me is just... one day at a time for the big stuff, but to build the impetus, I start with extremely easy and comparatively long-term changes. First one: changing my diet at work. It was pretty easy to go from "ravioli and Chunky soups" at work to "little cans of tuna and three Triscuits" at work. It was still treat food, since the flavored tuna is super-nummy, so it still felt like I was cheating, although my carbs and fats were cut hugely, calories were cut, and protein went up. This was an easy fix, and thanks to that impetus, walking at lunch was easier to incorporate into my routine. Once THAT was normal, exercising at home became (briefly) very easy and attainable, and then my diet at home started to change, because I made it a personal challenge to get all my hard-won "good habits" to invade the rest of my life.

Like a plague. A plague of good.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:Step one: stop being lazy.

That's great, now how do I do that?
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

Set an impossible goal and promise yourself to achieve it.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Kachi
Publicly Posts Private Messages

Postby Kachi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

3)Find a form of exercise that you really enjoy and don't think about it as exercise.

This would be the advice that I would emphasize. Clearly you're an active person, and you don't think of some of the activity you do as exercise. Find fun ways to be active-- that is the absolute best way to exercise, for anyone.

Set an impossible goal and promise yourself to achieve it.

This I would advise against. It's been demonstrated that when you invariable fail at this goal, you will probably end up gaining more weight.

The important thing with weight loss is to ease into it. If you don't, odds are very good that you won't be able to sustain your program and you'll relapse into your old habits. Slowly reduce caloric intake (preferably not through "dieting" but through changing your diet to be less calorie dense, like eating more high-fiber foods. I have suggestions if you need them), and if you must do exercise that you don't enjoy, then do only a little at first and increase it slowly.

Return to “Fit Club”