Kgirfae wants to work out

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
kgirlfae
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby kgirlfae » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

I had a physical this month and my general health really scared me. I guess I'm one of those "Skinny Obese" types, that can eat just about anything and rarely gain weight. But with two grandparents with serious cardiovascular disease (One grandfather lost about 1/2 his heart function to a heart attack in '93 and the other grandfather had quadruple bypass two years ago) I've realized that my results paired with my family history means I need to start improving my overall health.

Age: 24
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 130 Lbs
Objective: Lower cholesterol and BP, generally build endurance, switch to more heart healthy foods, maybe lose 5-10 lbs.

I really don't want to focus on weight loss, as I'm already pretty close to my height's target weight.

So far the advice I've been given is lots of cardio and eat more fruits/veggies and less fast food.

I work in a mall, so it's pretty hard for me to avoid the fast food world. I've tried on many occasions to bring my own food to work, but I'll get busy and forget to eat it, or it won't be filling enough so grabbing a pretzel or bag of chips is a good way to finish filling up. I'm also guilty of having about 2-3 32 oz. soda's each day I work because it's easy to get. The flipside of working in a mall is that my job is fairly active. I sell shoes, so I regularly lift 10-15 pounds every 5-15 minutes as I'm carrying things out of the back room, there's lots of walking, when i do shifts I have to move a bunch of shoe boxes all at once so that's like a mini-workout (those things are HEAVY).

So my goals for the next week are as follows:

1. Use our free membership to a local club to get on a treadmill/elliptical/bike for at least 30 min. each day. Get that heart pumping!
2. Stop drinking soda at work and switch to water. I have enough water bottles that I can leave one at work specifically for this goal.
3. Bring lose popcorn/lunch sacks for popping to work and when I get the craving for a snack make myself some nice (fat free) popcorn rather than getting a pretzel or chips.

Usually for a full lunch I opt for a subway sandwich (Roast beef 6 inch with oil & vinegar, tomatoes, onions and provolone cheese) rather than the fast-food options, and up until recently I did mayo instead of the oil/vinegar and I switched from their (oh so delicious) Italian Herbs and cheese bread to the wheat (and occasionally the flatbread). I've been thinking about adding more veggies, but other than spinach I don't really like much else of what they have. I tried bringing food from home but I generally find that I like Subway better than anything I could bring and I feel as though it's still pretty healthy. At home I usually make pasta with various sauces (usually fairly oil-heavy as my husband doesn't like tomato sauce, but I always use extra virgin olive oil) and always some form of protein - salmon, beans, chicken or steak. (I just don't like pork other than bacon and I've relegated bacon to a once-a-month small treat) In the mornings I usually have a bowl of cereal (2% milk, I can barely stand the taste of 2%, skim is just disgusting) or scrambled eggs. I used to have bacon with my eggs but as noted, I cut that out after my physical.

Obviously, if any of you feel like cheerleading I would love that. Really I'm okay with just using this as an update thread for me and my goals. If any of you have advice to healthy switches I could make I'd love to hear them. I'm also new to the whole "gym" thing, so any tips/advice there would really help. I get 3 training sessions, but I haven't been able to line up an appointment with their trainers yet (I work odd hours due to the whole mall thing). I used to run (well, walking with brief stints of running to build up endurance) during the summer but it got cold here and I gave up about 2 months ago, which is why the treadmill seems like a good place for me to start.

Anyway, I'm going to quit typing now and get to the goal making!

User avatar
tmcfulton
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:12 pm UTC
Location: Toronto

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby tmcfulton » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

Don't use plastic water bottles.

User avatar
kgirlfae
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby kgirlfae » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

By water bottles I mean I have 5-6 BPA free water bottles. I'm not talking the bought-at-the-store going-in-the-landfill water bottles. And I got rid of all of my old nalgenes when the BPA info came out.

psyck0
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby psyck0 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Sigh. The level of BPA in plastic water bottles is something like 6x lower than the maximum "safe" dosage specified by health agencies, which is going to be at least one order of magnitude below the dosage at which they ever found any health problems just to be cautious. They are totally safe, people.

Otherwise, I will direct you to Weights! by celandine. That should have everything you need or want to know. Screw cardio, lift some metal. It's better for you unless you're morbidly obese, in which case you should do both.

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby Nath » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

Good luck.

kgirlfae wrote:1. Use our free membership to a local club to get on a treadmill/elliptical/bike for at least 30 min. each day. Get that heart pumping!

If this works for you, great. But if you find it hard to stay motivated, it might be worth trying a sport instead.

kgirlfae wrote:2. Stop drinking soda at work and switch to water. I have enough water bottles that I can leave one at work specifically for this goal.

This'll probably make a dramatic difference. 3 non-diet 32 oz sodas contain 1.67 cups of sugar, i.e. about 1200 calories. In fact, if you stop drinking soda, you might even need to eat more if you don't want to lose too much weight.

If you drink diet, it depends on how paranoid you are about artificial sweeteners. I'm not, personally, but I still wouldn't drink 12 glasses of the stuff in a day. (I mean, even if they didn't taste like medicine.) There's a reason soda companies usually use 8 oz as the serving size in nutritional information. That is, in fact, a sensible amount of the stuff to consume at one sitting. Unfortunately, I don't think most fast food places even have glasses that small.

User avatar
kgirlfae
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby kgirlfae » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

I have always avoided diet sodas. They don't taste right and ever since I was little I worried that tricking my body into thinking it was getting sugar that it wasn't actually getting was a bad thing (turns out my suspicions were correct!) I wasn't a huge soda drinker until I started working at this new mall. They have a wetzel's pretzel that will give mall employees the large soda for $1 and refill the cup for $.50, and it's regular price to get the small. My old store was near a Seattle's best, and they didn't have soda so I defaulted to water (no way I could afford coffee at their prices!)

Klotz
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby Klotz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Squat!

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby Nath » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

kgirlfae wrote:I have always avoided diet sodas. They don't taste right and ever since I was little I worried that tricking my body into thinking it was getting sugar that it wasn't actually getting was a bad thing (turns out my suspicions were correct!) I wasn't a huge soda drinker until I started working at this new mall. They have a wetzel's pretzel that will give mall employees the large soda for $1 and refill the cup for $.50, and it's regular price to get the small.

I sometimes wonder (mostly unseriously) whether the fast food industry gets a commission from the health care industry. I understand the logic behind ballooning drink sizes -- there's negligible marginal cost to the company when they upgrade from 16 oz. to 24 oz. to 32 oz. -- so they can charge the customer a few cents for the upgrade and get a nice profit margin. But if they make the larger size cheaper than the smaller one, I don't see how that's advantageous to them.

User avatar
kgirlfae
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby kgirlfae » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

I think it has something to do with the fact that this location always has a line, and if they gave the reduced price refills on the smaller sodas then mall employees would be clogging up their line all day long, distracting the real profitable customer. So they make the bigger one cheaper so that we don't come back quite as often.

LibertyValance
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:26 pm UTC

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby LibertyValance » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:24 am UTC

Nath wrote:Good luck.
There's a reason soda companies usually use 8 oz as the serving size in nutritional information. That is, in fact, a sensible amount of the stuff to consume at one sitting. Unfortunately, I don't think most fast food places even have glasses that small.


There is no sensible amount of the stuff to consume that isn't zero.

Other than that psyck0 said pretty much all that I would have said, so I'll simply say good luck and congratulations on taking control of your health. :D

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby Nath » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 am UTC

LibertyValance wrote:There is no sensible amount of the stuff to consume that isn't zero.

This may be off topic, but I disagree. Being sensible is all about making trade-offs. Light consumption of soda will do negligible harm. Long-term changes to your consumption habits won't stick if they require giving up too many things that you enjoy. Therefore, planning to moderate your consumption is more sensible than planning to stop it if you enjoy it.

What's more, you may find that you don't enjoy it all that much, but drank it mostly out of habit. Your soda consumption may fizzle out of its own accord if you cut down.

kgirlfae wrote:I think it has something to do with the fact that this location always has a line, and if they gave the reduced price refills on the smaller sodas then mall employees would be clogging up their line all day long, distracting the real profitable customer. So they make the bigger one cheaper so that we don't come back quite as often.

Ah.

I don't suppose their soda fountain has water as well? There'll probably be times when you don't have a bottle handy, and may get a soda out of convenience.

User avatar
kgirlfae
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby kgirlfae » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:51 am UTC

They do have water, but I'd rather avoid the temptation all together and go down to the Starbucks and get water from them instead (I don't think there will ever be a day when Starbucks coffee tempts me. I like my beans unburnt.)

shocklocks
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby shocklocks » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:06 am UTC

Start bringing raw/unsalted mixed nuts and fruit to work. Also try and get a diet higher in healthy fat and protein and less so in carbs. It'l keep you full longer. That and making sure you have a proper full breakfast so you're not starving by your first break. If the main problem is you're just not feeling full after your meals have a healthy whey protein shake alongside them(alongside being the keyword there). Believe me, they're very very filling.

User avatar
kgirlfae
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby kgirlfae » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:48 am UTC

For some reason I just can't eat more than one or two nuts before my throat feels like nut glop is filling it up and suffocating me. I end up hacking and coughing and even if I drink plenty of liquids alongside them it still feels like little nut daggers are chopping into the back of my throat.

Which is sad because I love almonds. They're so tasty. I just wish they were more... moist?

I've wanted to look into the protein shakes, but got somewhat scared off by two co-workers of mine having horrible reactions digestion wise while on them (they switched through a few different brands before giving up). The person at GNC told them that sometimes women just don't react well to the mixes, but I haven't looked into it much further than that. I can't really afford to be sick from work often, and having the kind of digestion problems they were having would just be... awful.

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby Nath » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:59 am UTC

shocklocks wrote:That and making sure you have a proper full breakfast so you're not starving by your first break.

Am I the only one who gets hungrier if I eat breakfast? Probably takes the body out of conservation mode or something.

psyck0
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:58 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby psyck0 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

Make your own protein shakes. Get some unflavoured Whey protein isolate (isolate is better than blend, but I suppose if you're just snacking on it then blend is probably fine) and add tasty things. Fruit, chocolate, peanut butter, whatever.

shocklocks
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby shocklocks » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:14 am UTC

Am I the only one who gets hungrier if I eat breakfast? Probably takes the body out of conservation mode or something.


I'm weird. If I get up early 6-7am and dont have breakfast i'm starving by 10am. If i get up at 10am-noonish I can generally go all day without feeling hungry. Not overly sure why that is. As for the shakes, pyscko is right. A healthy protein shake shouldn't give you any problems. Personally I use http://www.reactiv.co.nz/Pure_NZ_Whey (granted I doubt you're from NZ but any product similar to that should be fine)

User avatar
kgirlfae
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 am UTC
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Kgirfae wants to work out

Postby kgirlfae » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:11 am UTC

So, update...

So far I've been holding to the new diet! This makes me very happy, but my brain less so as the severely decreased soda intake has a direct correlation to a suddenly decreased caffeine intake, which makes my whole head hurt. For the most part that's starting to fade, so I'm hopeful I can keep away from the soda.

On a less fun note, I've stopped going to the gym because our free membership ran out, and we can't really afford to go right now. So I'm doing small things to make up for the loss of the longer workouts (parking much further away than necessary at school and at home, taking the stairs at work) and since we're in the middle of a season change at work I'm doing all the shifts in the back room to make room for the new styles coming in. (I sell shoes for a living, so basically I'm lifting 8-12 lb stacks of shoes (4-6 boxes) over and over again as I move them from one shelf to another to make room. Usually I'll move about 500 boxes per shift so it's pretty hard work)

Because of the decreased caloric intake because of the new diet, I'm losing weight, which does make me slightly happy, but I really can't wait for the weather to warm up out here so I can start running again (There's 5 inches of snow on the ground and it's c-c-c-cold right now)

So all in all it's going ok, but if anyone has some exercises that are good to do in a (very cramped) apartment with no equipment that would be awesome!


Return to “Fit Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests