Five weeks to get in shape.

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

femtometer

Five weeks to get in shape.

Postby femtometer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:03 am UTC

In 37 days, I'll be on my way to Ft. Jackson, SC for Army Basic Training. I'll try to keep this thread to the hows, but if you have any questions about the whys I'm open to those too. It's sort of a long story though. The problem? I'm a little girl. Like, I'm the one people tell to eat a cheeseburger. The Army doesn't do minimum weights anymore, but I may very well have been disqualified for that if they did. Scrawny would be a good word.

Bottom line is, I need to get my body back into exercising. It's been five years since I took high school PE. I can do maybe five proper pushups? And eugh, running? I neeeed to work on this.

I've started doing at least something every day, but I'm afraid of falling off the wagon so I'm hoping that making a public thread will give me some sense of accountability.

Goals

- Not to lose any more weight and possibly gain some. I'm 5'3", ~107 lbs.

- 20 standard pushups and 30 situps in one minute each.

- One mile in at least 10 minutes and 30 seconds. I aim to get it as fast as I can but I'm no miracle worker.

Resources

- I recently got onto my family's Y membership and they have treadmills and aerobics classes and things of that nature

- I just got a really supportive pair of running shoes

- The recruiting center does group PT every Thursday, it's an hour of situps, jumping jacks, squats, things like that. I come home sore but it's a good sore.

- There's a huge jar of chocolate flavored whey protein powder in the cupboard that someone bought and abandoned

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, advice, support, etc., feel free to post, otherwise I'll try to keep this updated every so often. See you around.

eightysevendegrees

Re: Five weeks to get in shape.

Postby eightysevendegrees » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:48 am UTC

Go to things like the aerobics classes or group gym sessions or anything where there's an instructor to yell at/encourage you. If you're worried about "falling off the wagon" it's a good idea to sign up to some regular activity. That way, other people will know if you're being lazy so you'll be more inclined to stick to your plans.

I've got a good technique for getting better at push ups. At least, it's working for me. A few weeks ago, I couldn't even do one push up. Now I can do about ten. Practice against a wall for a while. It won't feel like much of a work out, so do lots of reps. The further your feet are from the wall, the more weight will be on your arms. Once you're used to that, practice against a counter or sturdy table. Then practice at the bottom of a flight of stairs, with your hands on the second, then the bottom step. At each stage, there's a bit more weight on your arms so you build up to being able to do push ups. From the sounds of it, you're starting off better than me so you can probably skip to the last couple of stages.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

Free weights. Lots of free weights. You're going to have a hard time putting on muscle AND getting cardio fitness at the same time if you're really scrawny, though. I would recommend the strength and let the army give you the fitness, but it's up to you. Look at the other threads here, a lot of people are in the same situation as you.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

Given that you are short on time and have specific goals, I'd say train for the test. Practice the exercises you'll be tested on.

To increase your push-up and sit-up counts, try pyramids. Do one of each, then two of each, three, and so on, till you hit your maximum, and then count down. No rest. This should help with cardiovascular conditioning as well. You could even throw in some body-weight squats, and do a well-rounded three-exercise pyramid.

(In general, I'd recommend crunches or leg-raises instead of sit-ups -- they target the abs better and are less risky to the lower back. But for the test, I guess you might just want to practice sit-ups.)

That 100 push-up thread might also have some useful suggestions.

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

I helped my friend get in shape for the army a few years ago, but she was coming from the other end (too fat).

To get good at pushups and situps, it is simple. Do lots of them. One popular method is to have a stimulus, let's say walking through a certain door, where every time you walk through you HAVE to do ten pushups and ten sit ups. If you can already do a real push up you're ahead of most women.

To get good at running, you must run. I recommend actual running, not a treadmill.

To gain weight, eat more (duh). I find that the first step to gaining weight is with bigger breakfasts. Every morning have two eggs, some oatmeal, and two pieces of fruit, and see where that takes you.

eightysevendegrees

Postby eightysevendegrees » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Klotz wrote:If you can already do a real push up you're ahead of most women.

I blame breasts. They make us top-heavy.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

Thanks guys, I've started doing wall / counter pushups, 20 every time I think about it which ends up being maybe twice an hour? I have stairs so it shouldn't be long at all before I decrease the angle that I'm doing them at. The weather is junky today so I alternated between walking and jogging for two miles on a treadmill instead of running outside and then did a water aerobics class with my mom. Last time I actually ran I got nasty shin splints that lasted for a week, but I think I did a good job on stretching before and after as well as wearing proper running shoes. It'll be icy outside until Thursday, but I should be okay on exercise equipment until then.

tmcfulton

Postby tmcfulton » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

Klotz wrote:Every morning have two eggs.

What does that do cholesterol-wise?

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

Wikipedia wrote:There is debate over whether egg yolk presents a health risk. Some research suggests dietary cholesterol increases the ratio of total to HDL cholesterol and, therefore, adversely affects the body's cholesterol profile;[20] whereas other studies show that moderate consumption of eggs, up to two per day, does not appear to increase heart disease risk in healthy individuals.[21] Harold McGee argues that the cholesterol in the yolk is not what causes a problem as fat (particularly saturated) is much more likely to raise cholesterol levels than the actual consumption of cholesterol.[14] A 2007 study of nearly 10,000 adults demonstrated no correlation between moderate (6 per week) egg consumption and cardiovascular disease or strokes except in the sub-population of diabetic patients which presented an increased risk of coronary heart disease.[22] Other research supports the idea that a high egg intake increases cardiovascular risk in diabetic patients.[23] However, some "no correlation" findings have come under attack by independent observers for flawed methodology and financial ties to the egg industry.[24]

So: probably not much if you're in reasonable health.

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

tmcfulton wrote:
Klotz wrote:Every morning have two eggs.

What does that do cholesterol-wise?

Not much. If you're worried then have one egg and buy some cartoned egg whites and add that, but really two eggs a day is no problem. There are a lot of essential fats in the yolk.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:27 am UTC

So I've made some improvements. It's been slow but they're there. I've realized that my biggest hurdle will be the mile run; I'm ok with muscle strength but my lungs suck. Unfortunately, the past two days we've been dealing with an ice storm and the YMCA was closed, so the best I could do was a stationary bike. I did about half an hour on that each on Tuesday and Wednesday and today I had an hour-long PT session with the recruiting station.

I've been keeping on the stair push-ups and I'm going to start doing crunches every night before bed. On Saturday I'll be going down to the high school track to see what my current time on the mile is.

I looked up the various physical standards, and this is what I'm facing:

Female BCT Entrance Standard (same across the board for all age groups):

Run: 10:30 1 mile
Sit-ups: 17 in 1 minute
Push-ups: 3 in 1 minute

Female BCT Minimum Graduation Standard (22-26 age group, I'm 22)

Run: 20:36 2 miles
Sit-ups: 43 in 2 minutes
Push-ups: 11 in 2 minutes

Female AIT Minimum Graduation Standard (22-26 age group,this is for job training and mine will be 6 months long so I'll have a while until this one, no worries.)

Run: 19:36 2 miles
Sit-ups: 50 in 2 minutes
Push-ups: 11 in 2 minutes

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

They only require 11 push ups? I expected the army to want more. Regular practice and in four/five weeks you'll be past that number easily and if you don't get lazy, you'll get all of that last standard in way less than six months. Set your own standards after that :)

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

Ledah wrote:They only require 11 push ups? I expected the army to want more. Regular practice and in four/five weeks you'll be past that number easily and if you don't get lazy, you'll get all of that last standard in way less than six months. Set your own standards after that :)
Well the initial start-of-basic test is just to see if you can survive boot camp. You just have to do the minimum and they're happy. From then on the PT tests are actually scored, I'm not sure what the scale is for them but you can score up to 300 points. I listed the minimums above, but you can absolutely go above and beyond that to get better scores.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:27 am UTC

Ledah wrote:They only require 11 push ups? I expected the army to want more. Regular practice and in four/five weeks you'll be past that number easily and if you don't get lazy, you'll get all of that last standard in way less than six months. Set your own standards after that :)

it's basic human physiology. men have more upper body strength. so the army factors that in when setting standards.

what's really tragic is that most people in the army can't do more than a couple of pull-ups, regardless of gender.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Pull-ups are HARD exercises, and get harder the bigger you are. As a 6'1", 190-lb person, which would not be atypical for the army, that's a lot of weight to move.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:39 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:Pull-ups are HARD exercises, and get harder the bigger you are. As a 6'1", 190-lb person, which would not be atypical for the army, that's a lot of weight to move.

it's called keeping your body in proportionate shape, dammit. not hard. if you are that tall with that weight and in shape, you shouldn't have any issue if you work out and keep all parts of your body exercised evenly rather than focusing on a few parts like so many people are want to do.

/in the army
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 am UTC

It's not quite that simple. Strength doesn't increase in proportion with size. This makes bodyweight exercises easier for smaller people. As a small person myself, I've been able to do things that larger, fitter people couldn't.

Ledah

Postby Ledah » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Also, it's 11 push ups we are talking about, not pull ups. Different business; I can do 30+ push ups in one go at the moment, but I doubt I'll do 11 pull ups.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

Mass increases as the cube of radius. Strength increases as the square. Proportionally, I need a LOT more muscle (and therefore need to do a LOT more work) to do a pull-up than someone who ways 140 lbs and can do them all day long.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

psyck0 wrote:Mass increases as the cube of radius. Strength increases as the square. Proportionally, I need a LOT more muscle (and therefore need to do a LOT more work) to do a pull-up than someone who ways 140 lbs and can do them all day long.

better get to work then.

Laetificat

Postby Laetificat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

femtometer wrote:The weather is junky today so I alternated between walking and jogging for two miles on a treadmill instead of running outside and then did a water aerobics class with my mom. Last time I actually ran I got nasty shin splints that lasted for a week, but I think I did a good job on stretching before and after as well as wearing proper running shoes. It'll be icy outside until Thursday, but I should be okay on exercise equipment until then.

About the shin splints: what type of surface are you running on? I have proper running shoes and always focus on stretching but I still get shin splints if I run on concrete. Tarmac is marginally better, but not wonderful.
It's mental static! I told you, if you HAVE to think, think in German!

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:01 am UTC

Another small update, I just got back from a week long vacation and didn't do a damn thing the entire time. Felt damn good, too, but now I gotta get back in the game. I'm still winded after thirty minutes on a treadmill or elliptical, so I have to work on getting cardio every day, even if it's just playing DDR. I'm almost ready to switch to doing full-on push-ups, and I've gotten around to borrowing my brother's set of adjustable barbells. I'm starting to have biceps now, it's great.

I'm gonna have to take a good full body picture for a before shot, so that I can compare to when I get back from basic.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:31 am UTC

The almighty burpee, and running is your prescription.

This is a burpee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dq_NCzj8M

Some people like to do a hill of them. Sets of ascending quantity and then decending. How high you climb is up to you. (20 will kick your ass!)

Some like to do AS MANY AS THEY CAN in 20 seconds, then rest 10 seconds. 8 times. The set with the least amount is your 'score'. Go for 8 or so.

Just do these. They're GREAT for you, and there's not really a way to screw this up, organizing your workout-wise.

And run. Run as fast as you can for as long as you can until you're about to die, then walk it off just long enough so your heart has not slowed down all the way. Run again. Do this for half an hour.

IT'S CHEAP, AND AWESOME!
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

Delass

Postby Delass » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:25 am UTC

Everyone else has already given great advice, and I can help with the shinsplints. Its on the front/inside part of your legs, right? Walking on your heels helps. Before you run, take an icecube (a neat trick is to fill dixie cups, freeze those, then tear half the cup off so its not cold on your fingers) and rub it on your shinsplints.

Also, a tapejob for shinsplints is pretty easy, but could get expensive. First, pre-wrap: http://www.pre-wrap.com/?gclid=CI7_wPmw ... GgodWTf_1A Youl also need conform: http://www.findtape.com/product377/Jayb ... letic+Tape and white tape: http://www.findtape.com/product250/Jayb ... letic+Tape

I dont know how those sites are for ordering, thats just what I could find for pictures. CVS probobly has all three, I know my local vons(a grocery store) has the white tape.

First, prewrap. Then wrap the conform on, start at the bottom of your leg, and wrap it clockwise if your looking down, or from the outside in. Dont wrap it tight on the outside or on your calf, but try and tighten it a bit when you pass over the shinsplints. As you wrap up your leg, try and overlap it by about 50%.
If your shinsplints dont go up your entire leg, you dont have to wrap the entire leg.
After that, take the white tape, and start at the back of your leg, about halfway, and pull the whitetape through the inside of your leg, to about halfway of the front, then rip it off, and repeat this up the leg.

Im a student athletic trainer, and hope to do it professionally one day :) Good luck.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

Hobgoblin wrote:And run. Run as fast as you can for as long as you can until you're about to die, then walk it off just long enough so your heart has not slowed down all the way. Run again. Do this for half an hour.
I've started to do these, and oh my goddd they kick my ass.

I don't think I'll get into taping my legs just because I think I'd do it wrong and I don't have much extra money for tape. However, I've started icing my legs after leg workouts as a purely preventative measure and I haven't had any more problems with shin splints. If I do get them again, I'll look into getting some tape.

I've been feeling a lot more confident about how I'll handle myself physically in basic training, although I won't be slowing down until a couple of days before I ship. I figure it'll be nice to have a two day break or so before leaving.

A recap of the last week or so, with no particular organization-
- I've tried to stick to alternating between upper body strength and lower body strength days as well as incorporating aerobic exercise into both, with a goal heart rate of 160 - 180.
- I found out that the gym I go to offers a free trial hour with a personal trainer, so I took that and found out my ideal heart rate for doing aerobics. He's putting together a workout that I can do, although with two weeks left, I'm not sure how much help that would be.
- I had my body fat percentage taken and was told by the lady reading the meter, "See, this is what I always tell people, skinny people can be fat too.", only to find out later that 25% is totally fine for women. 1% less and I'll be in the "fit" range. Thanks, lady.
- I took a couple of body pump classes that were offered at the gym, it's a group class where you work with a barbell and hand weights for a pretty good strength workout. It gets me sore in all the right ways so I think I'll go back a couple more times.
- I found out that I've gained about five pounds since I weighed in at MEPS two months ago, and I'm totally fine with that. I'm just hoping that at least some of that is muscle.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

By the way, Sir, thank you for serving in our military. It means a lot to me that you'd sign your life away for 4 years to protect your people.

Also, I found an entertaining read for you. Some guy's blog during basic.
http://www.educatedwhore.com/?cat=105
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

Hobgoblin wrote:By the way, Sir, thank you for serving in our military. It means a lot to me that you'd sign your life away for 4 years to protect your people.

Also, I found an entertaining read for you. Some guy's blog during basic.
http://www.educatedwhore.com/?cat=105
Thank you! I don't think I'll ever be a Sir, but if I play my cards right I can be a Ma'am in about three years. :D

I've read through a few basic training blogs, and I've found that they're either really motivating or really depressing. http://www.basictrainingblog.com/ This one is great and I re-read it sometimes when I feel cold feet coming on.

Team503

Postby Team503 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Given that you are short on time and have specific goals, I'd say train for the test. Practice the exercises you'll be tested on.

To increase your push-up and sit-up counts, try pyramids. Do one of each, then two of each, three, and so on, till you hit your maximum, and then count down. No rest. This should help with cardiovascular conditioning as well. You could even throw in some body-weight squats, and do a well-rounded three-exercise pyramid.

(In general, I'd recommend crunches or leg-raises instead of sit-ups -- they target the abs better and are less risky to the lower back. But for the test, I guess you might just want to practice sit-ups.)

That 100 push-up thread might also have some useful suggestions.

This is essentially the advice I would give. My boot camp was different than your Basic, and the Corps has higher standards (even for our females), but essentially, the best thing you can do to get in shape for something is the thing itself. Best way to get in shape for a martial art? Do the martial art. Best way to get in shape for Boot? Do what you'd do in Boot.

Pyramids, HIIT, and other variations can make it more interesting or challenging, but in the end, you need to do lots of push ups, lots of sit ups, and run a lot. Don't forget to eat a reasonable diet.

Oh, and we all know that Army stands for "Ain't Ready to be Marines Yet", but Semper Fi anyway, little sister. Fight the good fight!

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:08 pm UTC

Team503 wrote:Oh, and we all know that Army stands for "Ain't Ready to be Marines Yet", but Semper Fi anyway, little sister. Fight the good fight!

I have no stake here (as I don't serve in the armed forces, nor have I ever)... but I do have a friend in the Navy, who I would be doing a disservice to if I didn't point out that Marine stands for "My Ass Rides in Navy Equipment". ;)

Team503

Postby Team503 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:
Team503 wrote:Oh, and we all know that Army stands for "Ain't Ready to be Marines Yet", but Semper Fi anyway, little sister. Fight the good fight!

I have no stake here (as I don't serve in the armed forces, nor have I ever)... but I do have a friend in the Navy, who I would be doing a disservice to if I didn't point out that Marine stands for "My Ass Rides in Navy Equipment". ;)

We're too busy killing people and blowing things up to be our own taxi service. That's what the Navy is for, anyway. :mrgreen:

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:40 am UTC

Sort of the A team, if you will.

The navy drives the van.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

So today I had an informal one minute push-ups / one minute sit-ups / one mile assessment in preparation for the initial basic training pt test.

I did great on push-ups, did great on sit-ups, and died on the mile. I jogged / ran a half mile at the minimum pace and couldn't continue. I'm still coughing almost an hour later. This isn't good. It isn't my muscles, it's my lungs and my chest. Sure, it didn't help that it's a coldish windy day and the wind was blowing against me the whole time, but hell, I could be taking my pt test in the same conditions as this.

I knew all along that running would be my week spot, why didn't I work more on it? I ran intervals, I did hours on the elliptical, but I could have spent all that time just simply jogging and it probably would have helped so much more. I guess I had the mindset that I already hate running, so I avoided it. Good job, now I have a week left and I get to try to make up for this.

Whoo hoo :(

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

Well you know what you've got to do.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

You can learn to run a mile in a week. Just go out and do it every day.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Same for me. I took a physical assessment for school the other day, and did great on all of the exercises except my disgustingly long 11:20 mile.

I joined the swim team so I wouldn't have to run. Oh, the irony.

But yeah, my friend on cross country said after a week that running became much easier.

Just run a lot. Every day.

What I used to do when I did run was go around my block by dividing my street and the neighboring one in half. I would run halfway down my street, turn and run down the short length in between, run down the half of the other street, and walk the little length in between streets. This provided enough rest for me that I was tired, but could keep going.

Just do this forever.

Alternate methods:
-Run a mile. Or two. Everyday.
-Run as fast as you can for as long as you can until you're about to die. Walk it off until you stop seeing stars. Repeat as desired.
-Sprint 20 seconds, Rest 10 seconds. 8 times. Everyday. This is a tabata exercise for running. I don't know how effective it is, but tabata is great, so I suggest it anyway.

HK-Z3N

Postby HK-Z3N » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

Statement: Your attempts to become a better killing machine are admirable meatbag, though I cannot fathom the difficulty of becoming as efficient as possible using such badly designed biological mechanisms, how such frail human bones can withstand such pressure is fascinating.

Assumption: Though I do not have the weakness of what you meatbags call "tiring" it appears to be strongly influenced by the chemical reactions in your frail, squishy bodies. Perhaps some kind of protein milkshake mixture could improve performance, or if that is unavailable some sort of RAM upgrade?

Correction: Your human army and navy are both vastly inferior to the efficiency and perfection of combat droids, attempting to fool yourselves by reliance primitive robotics and machinery to do the work for you is laughable. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Addendum: And do not think that we droids did not notice your so called mechanised infantry. If you truly wish to become droids so badly, brainscans to be uploaded into a more efficient body are always offered freely.

Goodbye: I hope to see you on the battlefield, meatbag, I hope to demonstrate good technique to you soon.

Team503

Postby Team503 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:41 pm UTC

You may be efficient, droid, but the Force is my ally. And a powerful ally, it is.

HK-Z3N

Postby HK-Z3N » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

Amused exclamation: Ahh a Jedi, so quick to forget the weaknesses of his pseudo magic to try to intimidate. You would do well to take example from the meatbag who began this topic, who seems to know not to rely on such mysticism that so often is more trouble than use.

Recitation: Grenades, Sonic screamers, cluster rockets, plasma charges... Mines are also useful against your kind, since you so often rush in to meet your foes in close combat. Silly jedi...

Addendum: Gas attacks are also affective, especially chemicals that attack the skin on contact rather than after inhaling. And lightsabers, while powerful, are rendered useless by common military energy shields, provided they are proper energy shields and not those Mandalorian energy shields.

Confession: Though I do not know many of your abilities, I do know that they require that you know where your foe is, that you are aware of them, and can see you. Meaning sniping and camouflage are most affective.

Evaluation: These techniques, combined with the unreadable mind of a droid, mean that Jedi are in fact, not as powerful as they believe themselves.

Team503

Postby Team503 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

*smiles softly*

Believe what you will, my metallic angry friend.

Poposhka

Postby Poposhka » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Running is going to be your best friend and worst enemy in the Army.

if you're having issues with running, i'd suggest you go easy on it at first - work aerobics another way because you're gonna bust your knees/feet to bits if you hit the pavement untrained.

- hill climb: On a treadmill machine, crank up the incline to "really friggin steep" and adjust the speed to pump up your heart rate. That way you get a good cardio (heart) workout without stressing your knees/ankles/hips too much.

- swimming: awesome cardio, zero-impact.

- weights: if you work out with weights intensly, you will keep your heart rate going. although, stress caveats apply since you might overtrain if you are untrained and very eager.

Do run, however, but don't overdo it in the beginning. You do it to teach your body to do it (the muscles necessary), not to train cardio (directly). The idea is that your cardio workout + running training will get your body in shape for running.

Return to “Fit Club”