The problem here is motivation

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

bigstrat2003

The problem here is motivation

Postby bigstrat2003 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

So, I'm hoping to find some advice here from others who may have encountered my problem. How do you stay motivated? This is a bigger problem for me than just fitness (it affects my ability to work at school and rein in my finances as well), but the fitness aspect of the problem is on my mind lately. What happens with me is that I tend to be motivated in bursts: I get all geared up to lose weight, go at it for a couple of weeks, maybe even a month, and then... lose interest. It becomes a serious chore to try to keep exercising (let alone cooking properly, which is going to be a struggle unto itself because I hate the work involved), which is made worse by the fact that weight loss is a long, slow, process, so I don't even have any real results to inspire me. So I give up, because hell, I'd rather play video games or read a book than go work out, and I'd rather just order some pasta from Pizza Hut than cook myself (and have to clean up afterwards).

I had at least been exercising twice a week for the better part of 2008, which was good, but hadn't improved my diet, which was not so good. I just gave up around November (I lost maybe 20-30 pounds over 9 months, which was really discouraging), but I know I need to get back into it. I'm 6' tall and weigh 300+ lbs, so not only am I completely unattractive as a result... it's really unhealthy for me, and I'm going to be screwing myself over later in life if I don't take care of this (not to mention I'd like to, at some point in my life, find a girl who wants to be with me). This is all good to motivate me in the short term, but how do I stay motivated in the long term?

I'm in a deep, deep rut here, so while I don't know if anyone has had to dig themselves out of a pit quite like this, I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me on how to get going and stay going.

Klotz

Re: The problem here is motivation

Postby Klotz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

You've just got to do it.

But I'll suggest having measurable goals, which are more fun to attain because when you reach them it feels good and you'll be looking to the next goal. So for example instead of "Lose weight" have "Reach 275 lb" or "Bench press 200 pounds" and then when you reach those, you'll be ready to take on the next level "Reach 250 lb" or "Bench press 225 pounds"

Also, try different kinds of exercise that you might find more fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyefznlW0Jk

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

Look at pretty girls. Look at yourself in the mirror.

Do you feel like with a better body, you could get those girls a lot easier?

Probably.

Get back to work.

P.S. Since I'm a nerd, I like to take a soldier mentality about it, and try to relate myself to a Marine, a Spartan, a Knight, whatever. It makes me feel like I'm doing this all for a reason.
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

Hobgoblin wrote:Look at pretty girls. Look at yourself in the mirror.

Probably.

Get back to work.

That does make sense, and is a lot of what helps me to get motivated at first... I guess the problem is that it's such a drawn-out road to change (I'm guessing at least a couple years until I can actually be somewhere near where I need to be), I get discouraged very easily. I find myself saying "Woo, so I lost 5 pounds this month... I need to lose at least 100 to be somewhat normal, what's the point of all this work if I won't see anything from it for ages?".

Which is what prompted me to ask, because the goal of MAEK SEXY TIEMZ (tm) is great to get an initial burst of motivation, but sucks for keeping me going.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:08 pm UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:
I had at least been exercising twice a week for the better part of 2008, which was good, but hadn't improved my diet, which was not so good. I just gave up around November (I lost maybe 20-30 pounds over 9 months, which was really discouraging), but I know I need to get back into it.

That's not bad at all. Weight loss happens slowly. Most people lose 1-1.5 lbs a week of fat, tops; you were losing maybe 0.7 lbs a week, which is not bad.

I would guesstimate that you can get down to 250 from 300 if you work hard this year. That's pretty good. Why not make that your goal?

Here's my suggestion. Fuck cardio, it's boring. Do weights. a) You can see your improvement betteras lifts increase, b) you can set goals more easily, and c) it's more varied and interesting than going out and running. Look up Starting Strength; buy the book, and do the program for 3 months. Enjoy the massive strength gains you will be seeing. After 3 months, or after you start stalling on your lifts a lot, come back and graduate to an intermediate program.

Whatever you do, do a PLAN, preferably concocted by someone who knows more than you because it'll be more effective.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

What the man says above is good advice, but it needs a bit of steering. No matter how much you lift, you're not going to be losing much weight. You'll actually gain some (in muscle), but it won't be visible because it'll be covered by fat.You NEED cardio. Need. It's VITAL to your success here. I'll go as far as to say you COULD have the abs of a Greek god without stepping foot into a gym.

I assume you're pretty out of shape, if you said losing 100 would make you normal-ish. This is the hardest part for me. I don't know what your body can handle, and how self conscious you will be about exercising. You aren't in good enough shape to run yet, I assume. You should walk. 30 minutes a day nonstop. Just keep a pace that is higher than you normally walk. Walking as fast as you can is key. You can slow down as you get tired, but try not to.

If being out of shape is a serious issue, and you can't walk down your street without huffing and puffing, you have to work up to walking. You have to walk 30 minutes a day around your street at a pace you'd use to walk around your house. Do that for a week, and speed up. Keep doing it. Get faster. Just walk 30 minutes a day nonstop, and speed up as you go, until you feel comfortable running,

Same deal with running. Once you're ready to run, jog slow enough that you'll last 30 minutes. It'll be hard. I know it will be. I've been out of shape before; it sucks, but it gets SO MUCH BETTER. Speed up as you get better and more comfortable, but run 30 minutes or more every day.

Before I go on about diet, and other exercise, I want to ask you- how bad of shape are you in? I'm not going to make you feel shitty [I hope]. I need to assess what you're capable of before I give you a general idea of what you should be doing.

Motivation finally took me over when I took my shirt off and looked in the mirror one day, and saw size reduction in my muffin top and man titties. I LOVED it. Now I'm on my school's swim team, and swim 50 yards in 29 seconds.
Life is the best toy anyone could ever give you, and I'm going to play with it until it breaks.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

Reasonably out of shape. I can probably do 30 minutes of walking, but I'd never be able to run for that length of time. Maybe a minute. I probably couldn't even jog for 30 minutes. I was doing cardio as part of my exercise gig before (was working with a trainer at the gym, and he was great, but I had to give it up because it was too much of a drain on my budget... $400/month is hard to fit in when you make $2k/month post-taxes), and I think I could comfortably do 4-4.5 mph on an elliptical machine for about 10 minutes at a time. It took me a good bit of work to get to that point, but I probably haven't fallen off too far from there since November.

Like I said, I weigh at least 300 pounds, and that isn't mostly muscle. I can fit into chairs, yet, so I'm not a horror story, but I am pretty far out of shape. Does that give you a better picture?

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

Yeah. It does.

NEVER EVER SAY that you will 'never be able to jog for 30 minutes'. If you do shit right, you will be able to. I swear.

You need to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Push yourself each day so that you speed up over time. Even at this level, the benefits to walking 30 minutes a day everyday are INCREDIBLE. It helps with so many health conditions (including being fat), and depression, energy levels, it's an appetite suppressant; it helps with everything. After walking becomes trivial, start to jog. Jog slowly. Pace yourself. It doesn't have to be fast, but you'll want to push yourself. Soon enough, you'll be looking better, and running.

Your diet is a major problem. Nobody gets to be 300 pounds from not exercising, unless it's genetic, and you'd be surprised at how little the chance is that it's genetic; even if it is, it's only a minor disadvantage. Everyone can be fit, and there's no excuse. (The original slow metabolism gene was actually an advantage, because it meant our ancestors just had to eat and hunt less.)

Diet's a little harder for me to tell you about, but I know there are EASY changes to make. I don't know how your willpower with food is (mine's kind of low, actually, but it's easy to just not buy it in the first place), but you're going to be giving up some stuff.

THINGS NOT TO DRINK [REALLY, DON'T DRINK SHIT LIKE THIS.]
-Soda
-Alcohol (A glass of wine, or a beer every now and then is not going to make a huge difference. Just don't be an alcoholic. It's DETRIMENTAL to your health.
-Most things that are delicious.

-Drink:
- Drink water mostly. Water is an appetite suppressant, and it's needed by your body to function correctly. The Japanese drink 1 cup of water as soon as they get up; it's the first thing they do. They believe [and I believe] that it jump-starts your metabolism into burning fat that much faster.
-100% fruit juice (not the concentrate, not some sugary bullshit. Ocean Spray makes a delicious 100% Cranberry Juice. Cranberry juice is also supposed to be good for you for its antioxidants, anyway.)
- Green Tea: It's the best kind of tea, and it boosts your metabolism like a MOFO. I lost 15 pounds when I switched from soda to green tea, and I wasn't doing ANYTHING even remotely related to exercise.)
- Skim or 2% Milk. Drop Whole Milk. If you think Skim or 2% tastes like water, then buy some and some whole milk, and pour yourself a glass of a mixture of both. Ween yourself off the whole milk onto skim, ideally.

Coffee is fine, just don't overdo it. I usually drink a cup or 2 a day, and it's not going to make a huge difference, like alcohol.

With these small changes, (trust me, swapping soda for green tea is a great move), your wallet and tummy will thank you. You're going to FEEL healthier, LOOK healthier, and you're going to save your soda money, because green tea is pretty cheap.

Remember. 8 Cups of water a day. Green tea > Soda. Skim > Whole. Moderation is key for coffee and alcohol.

Diet's another issue, and I'm not great with the food, but for the most part, just look at the Calories, and the calories from fat. If the calories from fat multiplied by 3 are equal to or more than the calories, don't eat it. It's a pretty easy rule.

P.S. Take a Multivitamin daily. They're good for you.

P.P.S. Sorry if this is a HUGE WALL OF TEXT, I'm just excited to help you.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST, BUT HERE'S SOME MOTIVATION WITH FOOD.

A Chinese emperor once said, "Warriors' bodies are made in the kitchen."

Just something to ponder, eh? :lol:

justaman

Postby justaman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

The general rule of fitness is: For every week you have off, you lose three weeks worth of fitness. Obviously this is not a defined ratio as it will change depending on how fit you were to start with and there is definitely a tail on this one as you approach base level fitness.

I would also have to disagree that weights are the only way to go, cardio is also very important, and it is easy to set targets: run for an extra 10 minutes, or an extra km or even run up a hill or something. Besides, being outside in the fresh air and seeing the sights as you run (or walk) is always great. The only time cardio could be boring is if you are doing it in a gym on a treadmill/elliptical - get outside.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

Yup, my diet is shit and I know it. A lot of it is from the fact that my default state is to say "Cooking? Fuck that noise", because it involves a lot of prep work (especially nasty when you're hungry already ;)), and cleanup. It's something I'm just going to have to deal with, though, if I want to improve my health.

Hobgoblin wrote:
THINGS NOT TO DRINK [REALLY, DON'T DRINK SHIT LIKE THIS.]
-Soda
-Alcohol (A glass of wine, or a beer every now and then is not going to make a huge difference. Just don't be an alcoholic. It's DETRIMENTAL to your health.
-Most things that are delicious.

Fortunately, I'm not much of an alcohol guy, but I drink Coke like mad. The trouble is, even though I know I should cut it off, there's not an incentive in the world powerful enough to inspire me to. I can try to cut it back (say, 3 cans a day instead of the 6 or so I go through now), but I know I'll never be able to reduce it to a "go through a 12-pack in a month" habit.

Not necessarily a great approach, I know, but if possible, I need to work around this. Maybe one day I'll be able to give the stuff up by and large, but that day is not today.

Hobgoblin wrote:-Drink:
- Drink water mostly. Water is an appetite suppressant, and it's needed by your body to function correctly. The Japanese drink 1 cup of water as soon as they get up; it's the first thing they do. They believe [and I believe] that it jump-starts your metabolism into burning fat that much faster.
-100% fruit juice (not the concentrate, not some sugary bullshit. Ocean Spray makes a delicious 100% Cranberry Juice. Cranberry juice is also supposed to be good for you for its antioxidants, anyway.)
- Green Tea: It's the best kind of tea, and it boosts your metabolism like a MOFO. I lost 15 pounds when I switched from soda to green tea, and I wasn't doing ANYTHING even remotely related to exercise.)
- Skim or 2% Milk. Drop Whole Milk. If you think Skim or 2% tastes like water, then buy some and some whole milk, and pour yourself a glass of a mixture of both. Ween yourself off the whole milk onto skim, ideally.

Hm... how's orange juice? Water's OK with me as well (hard to have something against water, really), it's just so bland, so it makes a horrible beverage to go with a meal imo.

Milk is out of the question, unless it's chocolate, which I'm guessing is a no-no. I grew up on a dairy farm, drinking unpasteurized milk. As a result, pasteurized milk makes me gag, and I generally throw up if I try to force myself to drink it. I can't get raw milk any more (parents sold the cows), so there's no milk in my future. Green tea is also something I've tried and really don't like... maybe another kind of tea? I've only had green tea, honey tea, and whatever Lipton iced tea is, and they all tasted like ass to me. Not sure how different other teas are.

Hobgoblin wrote:Diet's another issue, and I'm not great with the food, but for the most part, just look at the Calories, and the calories from fat. If the calories from fat multiplied by 3 are equal to or more than the calories, don't eat it. It's a pretty easy rule.

P.S. Take a Multivitamin daily. They're good for you.

P.P.S. Sorry if this is a HUGE WALL OF TEXT, I'm just excited to help you.

A multivitamin is something easy to work in, so I'll have to take that up. I do appreciate all the advice, so I apologize if it seems like I'm rejecting some of it out of hand after having asked for it. It's not that I don't appreciate it, trust me.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:
Fortunately, I'm not much of an alcohol guy, but I drink Coke like mad. The trouble is, even though I know I should cut it off, there's not an incentive in the world powerful enough to inspire me to. I can try to cut it back (say, 3 cans a day instead of the 6 or so I go through now), but I know I'll never be able to reduce it to a "go through a 12-pack in a month" habit.

Not necessarily a great approach, I know, but if possible, I need to work around this. Maybe one day I'll be able to give the stuff up by and large, but that day is not today.

Oh, you. If you want me to be brutally honest here [and I'm sure you don't], I need to tell you something. The mentality that 'Oh, I could never give up soda..' is the exact reason why you're 300 pounds.

It's going to be hard. It was hard for me. 3 weeks of FUCKING HELL is all it takes, then soda is more or less something you won't care about.

You're speaking to someone experienced in fail. I SUCK at doing stuff. All kinds of stuff. I can't quit anything for shit, but I quit soda, and I'm glad I did it, too.

All you have to do is not buy another 12 pack. Just don't buy it. If it's not in the house, you're a lot less likely to drink it. Finish what you have left, or sell it or something. Give it to the homeless, I don't care. Just get rid of it, and start quitting.

Your first week will be alright, the second will be HELL, and the third will be pretty easy. You're going to feel tired. You're going to feel grouchy. Just remember while you're feeling all these things that it's the soda's fault that you're angry. It's been keeping you from your weight goal. It's kept you from success, and it needs to stop. Only think negative about your past addiction. That's what it is, in the most literal sense. An addiction. And it needs to stop.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Hobgoblin wrote:Oh, you. If you want me to be brutally honest here [and I'm sure you don't], I need to tell you something. The mentality that 'Oh, I could never give up soda..' is the exact reason why you're 300 pounds.

It's going to be hard. It was hard for me. 3 weeks of FUCKING HELL is all it takes, then soda is more or less something you won't care about.

You're speaking to someone experienced in fail. I SUCK at doing stuff. All kinds of stuff. I can't quit anything for shit, but I quit soda, and I'm glad I did it, too.

All you have to do is not buy another 12 pack. Just don't buy it. If it's not in the house, you're a lot less likely to drink it. Finish what you have left, or sell it or something. Give it to the homeless, I don't care. Just get rid of it, and start quitting.

Your first week will be alright, the second will be HELL, and the third will be pretty easy. You're going to feel tired. You're going to feel grouchy. Just remember while you're feeling all these things that it's the soda's fault that you're angry. It's been keeping you from your weight goal. It's kept you from success, and it needs to stop. Only think negative about your past addiction. That's what it is, in the most literal sense. An addiction. And it needs to stop.

No, feel free to be honest. You aren't going to say anything I haven't already said to myself at some point.

I know I can do it if I put my mind to it (it's not a physical addiction, which makes it wonderfully easy to break compared to most things), the problem is... it's not worth it to me. Nothing that I can think of is (short of the threat of imminent death). Does this make me stupid? Yeah, probably, but all the same, I'm pretty sure I'd rather stay how I am, and drink soda, than improve, but give it up. At the same time, I get how bad it is, which is why I'm trying to cut back, so I won't be in the bad spot I am now, but still don't have to go to another extreme which is equally undesirable to me. :/

Sorry, I probably sound completely retarded right now, because even to myself I come across as someone who wants to get somewhere without sacrifice. I'm just trying to be as honest about how I see things as possible.

jtw

Postby jtw » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

holy crap! 6 cans of coke a day?? jeez, that explains a lot. a 12 oz can of coke has what, 120 calories of all sugar? x6 = 720 Calories a day from liquid that doesn't even offer any fillingness.

1 lb of fat has about 4000 Calories. Assuming that those Calories translate to dietary Calories (it doesn't actually), that's more than a pound of fat per week coming out of your diet. (it's not that straightforward, but you get the point)

Quit drinking so much Coke/pop/soda. If you miss the fizz, drink carbonated water. If you miss the sweetness, drink water and spike it with a little bit of pomegranate or cherry concentrate, or lemon/lime so that it tastes better than water (without adding all the Calories of a cola). After a while, you won't miss it.

often, if you can avoid BUYING something, you'll be able to avoid eating/drinking it. that's why i don't buy doritos very often.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

Don't worry. I know soda's good- I drink about one a week. It's moderation that's key. I just don't see how someone could go from 6 a day to 1 a week, so I suggested you give it up.

If you think you're strong enough, cut down. A lot. Keep it in the house, but cut down by about 5 cans a day, and replace them with water.

Lots of water.

This, and walking is your first step.

What kind of food do you eat, as well?

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

Cardio is good. It gives you aerobic fitness. It is also not necessary for losing weight. You will do almost as well with weights exclusively. If you dislike cardio, just don't do it. You already have a motivation problem; why make it worse by doing something you hate? If you don't dislike cardio, then go ahead and do some.

jbn

Postby jbn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:14 am UTC

Cutting soda is an interesting challenge. I approach most motivational situations with a very can-do attitude. It doesn't originally stem from high self-esteem. I just always felt that I should be able to endure just about anything.

I cut caffeine (not sodas in their entirety, just caffeine) and withdrawal is very literally painful. Your head fills with blood, congratulations, pounding headache. Mine lasted for two days (the second day being worse than the first) and it can last up to five days. But hey, now I know I can quit addictions at some level. I was at 2 cups of coffee and 5 red bull daily when I quit.

Every now and then I decide to have a month free from added sugar, just to make sure I'm not too hooked on it.

On the general motivation part I just recommend setting simple goals and developing a "what-doesn't-kill-me-makes-me-stronger" kind of attitude. Getting to a gym twice weekly (preferrably following a solid program) could be a good goal. Keep a higher pace every time you walk a certain path or climb the stairs to your apartment, carry your groceries on steady arms instead of them just hanging from your hands. Try to get the exercise into your head.

I really recommend finding exercise that you enjoy. I started getting fit on a DDR-danceplatform (my problem is skinny, low-weight, ribs on display) and then started going to a gym because I wanted muscles in addition to my improved fitness (dancegames are a pretty decent start though heavier people sometimes find them a bit hard on the knees with the impact and all). Now I'm doing Muay Thai and absolutely loving it. Martial Arts can be a good idea somewhere along the way.
Don't question that, it's a rhetoric answer.
Crai, a cyberpunk project
My assorted artwork at deviantart

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Hobgoblin wrote:What kind of food do you eat, as well?

Right now? Nothing good, really. Generally I eat one of a few things: a burger I grab from some drive-through on my way home from work, pizza (of various kinds, from frozen to delivery), Pizza Hut mac & cheese (I confess that this stuff is like crack cocaine to me), or hamburger helper.

Oh, I do often eat Subway for lunch, because there's one right next to my workplace. Probably the healthiest thing I eat. If I cook for myself, it's something very simple, like spaghetti or a box of hamburger helper + ground beef.

Also, various and sundry junk food. We won't even get into enumerating that, because that's just embarrassing.

Team503

Postby Team503 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:
Hobgoblin wrote:What kind of food do you eat, as well?

Right now? Nothing good, really. Generally I eat one of a few things: a burger I grab from some drive-through on my way home from work, pizza (of various kinds, from frozen to delivery), Pizza Hut mac & cheese (I confess that this stuff is like crack cocaine to me), or hamburger helper.

Oh, I do often eat Subway for lunch, because there's one right next to my workplace. Probably the healthiest thing I eat. If I cook for myself, it's something very simple, like spaghetti or a box of hamburger helper + ground beef.

Also, various and sundry junk food. We won't even get into enumerating that, because that's just embarrassing.

This is your problem. You would have lost significantly more weight over that time period had you made even basic corrections to your diet.

First, get rid of:

Fast food
Soda
Fried things
Candy

Now increase (proportionally):

Grilled chicken
Lean, high protein fish (tuna, salmon, etc)
Vegetable intake

Adjust from there. Think about this - a Big Mac is nearly 1,000 calories. A Snickers bar is more than 600 calories. The average recommended intake is 2,000 calories a day. Can you subsist on two Snickers and a Big Mac a day? I can't.

I realize that you're not going to quit these things instantly. However, reduce them as best you can. Instead of burgers five nights, get them four and get a grilled chicken sandwich or a tuna sub instead on that fifth day. Once you're used to that, gradually shift your diet from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Some thoughts on eating out:

Order chicken instead of beef.
Get baked instead of fried.
Get grilled instead of baked.
Get sides of fresh or steamed veggies, not fried anything.

Some thoughts on how to make cooking easier and healthier:

Buy: boneless skinless raw chicken breasts, raw fish (fresh if you can, frozen is ok too), fresh veggies (frozen is ok), fruits, rice (minute rice in a bag is fine), and healthy snacks.
Use a George Foreman grill to cook chicken - it takes very little attention, is done in about ten minutes, and a little garlic salt or lemon pepper adds flavor easily.
You can use frozen or canned veggies - frozen are quickest and best if you won't cook fresh, since all you do is put them in a pot with water and boil for 3ish minutes.
If you use ground beef, buy the lean ground beef and strain off the grease.

The real problem here is that you're attempting this as a temporary measure - a run once script - when in reality, this is a permanent lifestyle change. Stop expecting significant results from half-ass attempts. Stop expecting it to be easy (because, really, what thing worth doing *is*?). Understand and accept that you have to change your lifestyle fundamentally, or you will die from it. Understand and accept that it is not reaching the destination that matters, but rather putting one foot in front of the other and staying on the road.

Focus on one step at a time. Do not overwhelm yourself by trying to change everything all at once. Do not get discouraged because you don't look like a Spartan in six days, six weeks, six months, or even six years. When you do, remind yourself that last week you were THIS much fatter, and the month before you were THAT much fatter, and now you are THINNER. Take a picture of yourself now, shirt off in just your undies, and put it somewhere you'll see it often. Take a new picture every three months and put it up there, right next to the original, in order. In a year you should have four pictures of yourself up, looking progressively thinner. Show yourself your progress.

Remember these key things:

It's ok to cheat. As long as it's cheating, and not a habit.
You will fall. Just get back up. We all fail, stumble, or just quit at some point. It's ok that it happens - focus on getting back into the routine, not on how you got out of it.
Progress is about slow but steady. If you want to keep it off, better slow and steady than fast and shaky.
It's about changing your life, not losing some weight. It's about feeling better, being happier, looking better, thinking better, and generally improving your quality of life. The weight loss is just an effective delivery method of that positive change.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Team 503, YES!

You're so very right!

And to you, bigstrat, it seems your diet is the fix. I believe, because I'm a lazy bum, that the diet is the easiest fix.

I hate to exercise, and you can too, but healthy food can be delicious, just like the high-fat shit they feed you at McDonalds.

Dinner is annoying to cook, yes. It sucks. You get home hungry and just want to munch on crap instead of waiting for your food to cook.

You could go a less-healthy way (not in the ways of fat, but in the way of preservatives), and get lean cuisines (specifically this brand). The lean cuisines are healthy-ish, and are pretty cheap. Just stock your fridge, and when you get home, pop one in the microwave and eat it.

Breakfast is a must. Good breakfast foods are stuff like Toast, Eggs (not fried!), Peanut Butter (not a lot- it's kind of high fat), all kinds of fruit, oatmeal, and the good cereal (skip Lucky Charms, think raisin bran, special k, corn flakes, etc).

A good breakfast recipe I came up with a while ago:
-Cup of milk/orange juice (drink)
- Bowl of oatmeal with a mashed up banana stirred in it, dashed with cinnamon.
- 1 Slice toast with 1 tbsp peanut butter on it

MMM! It's a good amount of food for the calories it is, and it's a delicious way to start your day.

For lunch, I usually eat a sandwich of something like Turkey, Wheat bread, lettuce, (add tomato if you please), and mustard.

Whatever. I'm rambling. What I'm really trying to tell you is that you're eating shit. Don't eat out every night, or even every week. Eat out maybe once a month, and make it good for you, not mac and cheese, and a burger or whatever.
-Eat Breakfast
-Eat whole wheat, and organic (if you can)
-Cook.
-Eat light
-Drink plenty of water.

There was a guy who lost 50 lbs by drinking a large glass of water before, during, and after each meal he had. That gave him 9 cups of water a day (which is a healthy amount), and it subsided his appetite so he wouldn't munch on other stuff after dinner. Consider doing this, maybe.

I don't know- I'm rambling AGAIN. I'm a noob at dieting, but I can tell you what you're doing now is completely wrong.

ikemike

Postby ikemike » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

Team503 wrote:A Snickers bar is more than 600 calories.

Where the hell are you buying Snickers? Around here, they're less than 250 calories.

---

As far as motivation, I can't speak to the proper diet, as I'm still working on that myself, but maybe I can help you a bit with exercise. Before this year, I never exercised. At all. This year, I decided I was tired of being overweight and out of shape and finally ready to actually do something about it. But instead of promising myself I'd lose x lbs in x days or deciding to stick to a specific diet, I decided that I would make working out a daily part of my life.

I've been going to the gym every day without fail (excluding days I was traveling and couldn't) for about seven weeks now, which is way longer than I usually stick with anything. I just keep telling myself that it's something I have to do. Many a day I grumble and whine that I don't want to go, but another part of my brain says "TOO BAD. You HAVE to go. Suck it up and go." And I go. Some days, I go and I feel exhausted before I've even begun or I can't find an open elliptical, and I don't give it my all. But most times the act of dragging my ass across campus and getting changed makes me want to make the trip worth it, so I've been doing 40-60 minutes of cardio everyday.

This has carried over to my eating in some respects, because I'm a lot more mindful of what I eat now. I don't deny myself anything I really want, and there are still days when I go "fuck it" and stuff my face, but most of the time I find myself not wanting to undo all my hard work at the gym with PopTarts.

I haven't really been weighing myself regularly, but I've lost about 6 or 7 lbs since the start of the semester, which is great. I'm don't mind if it goes slowly. I'm planning to step it up and add weight training once classes get out, and moving out of the dorms should vastly improve my eating habits (I lost 15 lbs last summer just by living at home instead of at school).

Anyways, my advice to you is to pick one healthy habit and make yourself do it. I really seriously recommend regular exercise; it improves your life in more ways than you'd think. I'm sleeping better, I haven't felt depressed at all for the first winter in years and I haven't gotten sick once. But don't stress about the results or stick to just cardio like me if that doesn't work for you.

Pick something to do to improve your health, and do it. If you tell yourself it's about living healthily instead of just losing fat (which it should be, really), creating and maintaining the habit should be easier.

long-winded post is long-winded

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:38 am UTC

What he said.

SHA33

Postby SHA33 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:51 am UTC

You just have to find the right kind of motivation. Find an activity that you enjoy. There are so many different ways to get fit. Some ideas:
Going to the gym--once you get there, nothing can stop you!.

Excersing while watching tv--If you start off strecthing while your show is on, that itself will be a great improvement. During the commercials, do jumping jacks, but not in the normal, stay in one place counting. Do ten, then turn to your left. Do ten more, turn to your left again. 10 more, turn left. When you are facing fowards again, lower the number to eight and repeat. Everytime you face front again, lower the number by two. When you get to do, just do one on each side.
Hate running? If you just run for five minutes--that's just one song!--each day, you'll start to notice an improvement.
Do fifteen pushups everyday, seperated into 3 sets of 5.

Try a new sport or activity. Either something hard-core like kickboxing, tae kwon doe. Or even something lower level and more hobby-like. I've recently discovered the joys of fencing and bellydancing. Both of which are very healthy for your body and GREAT at releasing those pent up emotions!

Good luck! And remember, the only one stopping yourself is you!

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:28 am UTC

The man above reminds me of myself.

Now, I assure you I was never obese, but I was overweight. When I was about 12 I realized I was fat. (Before this, I didn't give a shit, and that's probably why I was fat.) It took me a while to get around to do anything about it, but after a lot of my friends started to get girlfriends, and I wasn't involved in any such relationship, I decided I needed to do something about it. (And yes, I do realize this is foolish and any girl who'd love a guy only for his body is not worth it anyway.. but that's not man-talk, is it?)

Anyway, I started by talking with a pretty knowledgeable friend about which muscle groups I should target mostly. He told me chest, tummy, sides, thighs, and butt. My dad said the same.

I made a little workout plan using only bodyweight exercise. I had pushups, situps, oblique stuff (can't remember the name, it sucked anyway), lunges, and squats. I did all of this EVERY day, and I soon found myself breezing through a workout that would take so long in a measly 15 minutes. I had to up the level at which I worked.

I soon found myself going from 2x20 situps to 2x100 situps in just a few weeks, and I knew I was moving way too fast, but I didn't care. I excelled so much faster. I got so zealous with adding onto the challenge that it eventually just got too hard, and I stopped.

I don't know why I stopped. I was doing so well. My man-titties tightened up, my butt started to look a little more like a good butt should, and I felt stronger than ever. I even had a girlfriend (who was the worst person I've ever met..) I don't know what went wrong, but I do now. I wasn't doing ANYTHING fun. It was all just exercise, and no fun to it.

So this year, I joined the swim team at my school. Before this, I had softened up a bit, so I had some ass-kicking in store for me.

Just if anyone's curious, I used to be 5'3" and 145 lbs before I decided to tone up. I'm 5'5" and 130 now. You can see my six pack when I flex, and my riblets always.

It's awesome.

FEEL THE INSPIRATION, BIGSTRAT. FEEL IT. BECOME ME. YOU KNOW YOU WANT THIS.

EnderSword

Postby EnderSword » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

I think its a case where your base desires are stopping you, so you need to fight fire with fire.

Sloth and Gluttony are no match for Lust, Envy, Pride and Wrath.

You need to use the 'negative' emotions you Do want against the ones you don't.

Lust - As people mentioned, look at some girls, decide you want someone you can't have. It can be as unrealistic as you want, I picked Lindsay Lohan (don't argue with my pick, personal preference) I listened to her music while running kept posters near my bed, and kept thinking "If I was to meet her right now, would I be confident in how I looked?" If it's someone you actually know, an actress/singer or just random hot chicks, great, but Allow yourself to obsess over it on purpose.

Envy - What do you want to look like? Who is as fit as you want to be? what do they get for being like that? Envy them, Hate them, determine that you want everything they have and do anything you can to get to the level they're at.

Pride - Let yourself feel superior for working out, let it be an ego boost everytime you do it, look down on and pity people who don't do it. Bask in any compliment as you improve.

Wrath - Use competition to your benefit, one thing that got me rolling was a contest at work, people signed up then they tracked your weight for 2 months. I could have just set myself a goal 'Lose 20 pounds' but Instead I gave myself the Goal 'Lose enough weight that I pass 3 people'. Take pride in blowing past somebody, it's more fun than a random goal for yourself.

My weight all came on after a car accident, and I kept it on for years because of Pain, Laziness and Comfort, and it wasn't until I found those things could be over-powered by letting myself be Angry, Jealous, Prideful and Lust filled that I was able to overcome it.

It's more of a Sith Thing than a Jedi Thing I guess....but Your Dark Side is stronger than your Lazy side.
WWSD?*
*what would Sheldon do?

Miro

Postby Miro » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

Two things keep me motivated.

One I have a friend who will literaly beat the crap out of me if I dont keep up(we go to the same Judo, Jujistu and Longfist club).

Two, I took a picture of myself in my boxers(not a pretty picture) last year when I was at my worst(5'8 310lbs, Im now 5'8 230lbs) and put it up on my fridge. Its still there as a reminder to me to keep going.

Best advice I can give is;
Always eat breakfast, even if its just a coupla hand full of Cheery O's.

Stop drinking soda, even diet. When I was at my worst I was drinking almost a two liter of Dr. Pepper a day. I dropped that and switched to tea and I noticed an immediate change. Recently I dropped sugar out of my tea and I can't even drink soda anymore, its way to sweet.

Stay away from fast food. There is nothing good about Mcdonalds. Nothing. Trust me, I worked there for 11 agonizing months.

Once or twice a month treat yourself. Go out to eat with friends and have the 14oz steak you've been craving all week.

IF you can, walk to and/or from work. I take public transport to work, but by the time I get off the busses have stopped running so I walk the 3.2 miles. Its horrible for the first two weeks but once your body is used to walking daily, its a cake walk.

Keep at it, Ive been on my diet for almost a year now and Im still not at my target weight. But im a hell of alot happier. I can run home after work in 21 minutes, last year I could barely walk a mile in 21 minutes. Trust me, its worth it.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

All of what has been said is great inspiration.

Look at a girl(mine's Misa Campo)- want to have it
look at a fit guy (mine's bruce lee)- want to be it.

Just in general, keep vigilant, make your diet something non-shit, and exercise.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Yeah, exercise should be the easy part... the diet is going to be hell though. First: almost all the foods I love are bad for me. Second: I have yet to come across something that's good for me that I liked. :/

The healthy choice thing is interesting, though... that would help me out a lot just because I wouldn't have to cook. Is something like that really a viable option? I mean, it may not exactly be healthy for me (because of the preservatives and shit), but will it get my dietary balance about where it needs to be?

And after doing some reflection, I think that the best motivation is just going to be to hate on myself. If I hate myself badly enough (and I really hate myself for how I look sometimes), I should be able to change it. I just need to find ways to post reminders all around the house about how much I suck and will never get laid if I don't improve... without making my friends think I'm going crazy. ;)

Of course, self-hate could backfire spectacularly by making me just feel worthless, but eh. It seems like the best plan so far.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

For people who lack internal motivation to exercise, the easiest thing to do is bypass motivation altogether.

Establish a very scheduled and structured workout plan, and integrate it into your weekly schedule. Most people go to work or classes on a regular schedule. Well, go to the gym after your last obligation on M/W/F. Done.

And, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUj5YAnA0bQ
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Doesn't work. I know perfectly well that I'm not obligated to go, so I don't. Why? Lack of motivation. You can't (or I can't, at least) fool yourself about this sort of thing.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Obligation can also be subjective. Is it a paid class? If so the obligation is there else you waste your money. Can you pay out some money, if you do, is it a big loss if you don't go? (Hint, it should be else it wont motivate you) Are you going with a friend - will you be letting them down if you don't go with them? Do you have a friend who can shout at you to push harder? I find these sorts of friends very useful in this respect.

Regarding the healthy choice foods - sure they're not ideal, and you could do a lot better, but - and with due respect etc, they're a darned sight better than what you're eating now.

As an aside, you're mouth/brain etc says you don't like fruit or what have you (i think) because it is expecting high-sugar value stuff. Speaking from experience - this changes. Sure, you get a craving once in a while, but it's infrequent enough now that I occasionally cave because I actually believe my body just needs some sugar. I was at a point fruit never tasted good, but that's not true any more.

The human body is great at self regulation, but at the moment I would suggest that your body is calibrated wrongly. A concerted effort is needed to recalibrate, but once that is done you will find it a lot easier, cravings will diminish, you'll need to eat less and so forth.

It's a horrible cliché that it's not about weight loss, but about a change in lifestyle, but it's true. Thankfully the two aren't mutually exclusive, and once you've trained your body into whats good for it, it gets a lot better at working it out for itself.

As for the other suggestions, my 2 pence.

You wanna be a hater? Post on here what you eat in a day, and what you work out in a day. Sums will be done, understanding the problem is the key to fixing it. I think back to what I used to eat in a day and I would never post it on here.

You're a big guy, which makes cardio harder. I'm not saying cardio isn't worth doing, but I have to agree that initially weights are a better first port of call. You can start with things you already have around the house, you can measure/see progress (e.g. you can lift more) even though you wont initially 'see' the weight come off. When you're big it can be frustrating because you can loose several kilos and have it a lot harder to notice, so you ideally want something where you can measure your progress.

Final point, and I think this always gets overlooked. Weight is one small measurement in health, but it is easily measure and so gets prominence. If you do keep metrics, and I recommend you do, keep as many as you can. If you measure daily (shudder) be sure to only pay attention to averages, else measure once a week.

And finally, I think you're around the boundary but I'm sure you'll be fine - have you considered a WiiFit? A friend of mine has lost 10 kilos on that thing and has fun doing it. It has weights, it has cardio, it does all the measurements for you...

I should be getting back to work now...
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

Well, I enjoy various fruits and vegetables, it's just pretty narrow. And I see recipes for something (example pulled out of my ass) like "chicken and rice with spinach sauce", and I go, blech... I love chicken, but I hate rice and spinach... so I could eat plain chicken... but that's pretty damn boring... oh fuck this.

Basically, the people who come up with healthy recipes have much wider taste in food than I do, which makes their recipes pretty unusable to me, because once I strip out the stuff I don't like I'm down to just some really basic thing. And as much as I like chicken or whatever, no one wants to just heat a chicken breast and eat that plain.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:...
And as much as I like chicken or whatever, no one wants to just heat a chicken breast and eat that plain.

Not true, I regularly come back from climbing (my exercise of choice) and just eat whatever meat I have cooked, or if none a tin of tuna all on it's own. I know I should have peas, carrots and such with it, and sometimes i do. Get some powdered/flaked spices like chilli or piri-piri or basil to flavour your meats.

Something that helped me - not thinking of it as something you deserve to enjoy all the time. It is a requirement of life, like breathing. It is medicine. I figure I should eat something I enjoy as a treat maybe once a week. Mine is normally chips from the fish and chips shop outside my climbing wall on a Friday. All else is sustenance.

As with everything YMMV.
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:43 am UTC

Like what someone said above, you WILL change in tastes and stuff when you change your diet and exercise.

Once you stop eating processed bullshit from pizza hut, you're going to be craving food with a little more substance. A little more fiber, a little more natural sugar, etc.

You're going to be a friend of oatmeal, bread, fish, chicken, and various fruits.

P.S. Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choice will be a step up from where you are now, but it's going to suck after a while. I think if you bought a George Foreman grill and just cooked like a chicken breast for dinner while you prepare some whole wheat pasta or something, you'd enjoy your food a little more.

I don't think this is a concern right now though. Just ditch the soda, mac n cheese, burgers, pizza, whatever. Get a bunch of lean cuisines, and make sure their calories from fat multiplied by 3 is less than the total calories. This is important, because healthy choice and lean cuisine DO sell bad stuff too, regardless the name.

So yeah, a big step for you will be swapping unhealthy crap for TV dinners, but eventually, I think you'll want to shift over to real food.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:11 am UTC

Probably.

Get back to work.
My problem is that now that I have achieved an entirely reasonable degree of physical fitness, I feel kind of bad that I am still no closer to comprehending how I could possibly get pretty girls. But perhaps that is a matter for another forum.

I have little to add that has not already been said, except that demanding results has never particularly worked for me. I have learned to go at physical fitness with a Zen-like purposelessness. This is not to say that I do things half-assed, for in my mind if physical activity is worth doing at all, it is worth doing to the best of my ability. I have merely abandoned the expectation of progress.

I also think grilling chicken is too complicated; I go for frozen chicken breasts. Likewise, my vegetables tend to be raw, or at most steamed. I used to be a big consumer of store-bought coleslaw, but I have since learned that dealing with fresh vegetables does not have to be messy or complex. Often I just buy whatever happens to be on sale at a given time, even if I haven't tried it before.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:20 am UTC

"Getting in shape" is a TERRIBLE motivator. It's just not concrete enough. Same with any measures of "attractiveness". You need something you can measure, so that you can track progress.

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:29 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:

Probably.

Get back to work.
My problem is that now that I have achieved an entirely reasonable degree of physical fitness, I feel kind of bad that I am still no closer to comprehending how I could possibly get pretty girls. But perhaps that is a matter for another forum.

I have little to add that has not already been said, except that demanding results has never particularly worked for me. I have learned to go at physical fitness with a Zen-like purposelessness. This is not to say that I do things half-assed, for in my mind if physical activity is worth doing at all, it is worth doing to the best of my ability. I have merely abandoned the expectation of progress.

I also think grilling chicken is too complicated; I go for frozen chicken breasts. Likewise, my vegetables tend to be raw, or at most steamed. I used to be a big consumer of store-bought coleslaw, but I have since learned that dealing with fresh vegetables does not have to be messy or complex. Often I just buy whatever happens to be on sale at a given time, even if I haven't tried it before.

Veggies are most delicious and nutritious raw anyway. Go for this.

Yeah. Raw veggies is simple, simple stuff. Bigstrat, I suggest buying some from the produce section (whichever ones you like, they're all good! pure freedom in the veggie section!) and just stock up on green leaves and other veggies, wash them before you eat, put it in your mouth, chew and swallow! it's awesome, cheap, and pretty good.

Dressing like ranch should be taken in extreme moderation.

(Also, to get girls, don't change who you are. You'll never be happy with some girl you have to act for, because once you're yourself around her, you guys won't work well together. Be yourself, find a girl who's great (if she has ANYTHING that you'll never be able to get over, just disregard her completely), tell her how you feel when you do (don't be dishonest, it will just fuck you up later.) and then if she does too, it's on like diddy kong.

It's really just that easy; Confidence is key. [Also, don't fall into the friend zone. You'll know when you're there.]

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

Hobgoblin wrote:Veggies are most delicious and nutritious raw anyway. Go for this.
Actually, it has been demonstrated the steamed broccoli has substantially more nutritional benefits than raw broccoli. I think something similar can be said about tomatoes.

My other lengthy ruminations are in this thread in the Food forum.

qos

Postby qos » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

bigstrat2003 wrote:Doesn't work. I know perfectly well that I'm not obligated to go, so I don't. Why? Lack of motivation. You can't (or I can't, at least) fool yourself about this sort of thing.

Find someone to go with you. I don't have time during the day so I go mad early. The only way I can convince myself is because I know my gym buddy is waiting outside and she'll be pissed if she got up that early only to have me ditch out on her. Plus, like Sha33 said, if you have a hobby or sport or something specific it gives you something to train for. (PS, what weapon do you fence?)

Hobgoblin wrote:This, and walking is your first step.

I actually just went to a talk this Wednesday from our BME department that indicated walking might not be the ideal exercise for everyone, especially if you're heavy, because of increased strain loading on the knee. You should mix it up with the bikes or something that's lower impact. People always are telling me to swim, because my knees are trashed, but I hate to swim, so it usually requires bribery or something, which I think is not the ideal motivator.
"We can come to look upon the deaths of our enemies with as much regret as we feel for those of our friends, namely, when we miss their existence as witnesses to our success." -Schopenhauer

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

@ Jorpho- Whoa, really?! Well shit! I had no idea. I'll look into this.

@qos- I do recommend swimming. I swim for my high school team, and it's the best thing I've ever done with school. Maybe it's the team, maybe it's the competition.. I don't know. Before High School I didn't even like swimming, but now I can't wait to get back in the water.

Maybe what you need is to join a team.

Return to “Fit Club”