The Official Running thread!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

duckshirt

Re: The Official Running thread!

Postby duckshirt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 am UTC

Ahh, brilliant... are those all races or do you do fast training runs? And at this rate are we projected to see you at the 2016 Olympics?
lol everything matters
-Ed

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

None of them are races, although ParkRun feels like a race, as you're given scores and times and tables and such-and-such at the end of the day. So you can at least learn the name of that SOB who passed you on the final stretch.

It wasn't until February (this year) that I had the great, profound, and original idea of wearing headphones that play barnstormin' music to run to. Previously I ran with naked ears. The effect was rather instant, knocking 2-3 minutes off my average time for the next few runs. My last two runs were ParkRuns, so races essentially, and they've pushed my average down to the lofty heights of >24 minutes. Exciting!

Still don't think I can ever run 10K though. That distance cray cray.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 am UTC

Wow, that's a pretty cool graph.
Personally I rarely run without some kind of music playing, I find that having music ever so slightly above my running pace helps keep me on track. A little bit higher and it puts me off beat, but a lot higher and it's slightly more effective than no music. Music seems to reduce the physical sensation of exhaustion by providing overriding sensory input. It's good for running more, but I find I do have to be weary of poor running form.

I've been recently working on running since my cardio kind of sucks. I just ran 5k in 29:10. I'd classify that as "Bit better than okay pace", although I've got a Bmi of around 28.5.
Personally I'm much more of a fan of sprints or HIIT. You can't beat that feeling of muscles going numb with lactic acid slowly building like a pain endurance test, rather than just the general lack of energy/exhaustion of longer distance. Also sprints work well with very hard techno on very loud. It's like a mild sensory overload where there's nothing but music and lactic acid competing.

I've read a lot of places that say to keep heart rate low while running but, other than being able to correctly pace yourself for a distance, I can't really see it being a huge benefit. I'm the kind of person to put in over 90% of perceived effort when training, so I tend to run with a very high heart rate (Can average over 175bpm). I've not really seen any substantial evidence that it's "bad" other than not being able to sustain it for a long time to burn the calories intended. On the other hand, running with low perceived effort is less motivating, so I'd probably get more done if I wasn't forced to run slow.

Love to be able to run a 5 minute mile (That equates to ~19.3kph average), but also aiming for 2.5x body weight deadlift, 2x bw squat, 1.5x bw bench. So sort of conflicting goals, except fat loss.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Late to the party, but that is very badass! I picked up RunTracker for my phoneamajigit, and am excited to have hard data on my runs this summer.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

I personally use Endomondo to track my running, and it has led me to question my current choice of route. ...

I live at the bottom of a hill. If I run one way the route is relatively level, but if I run the other way (straight up the hill) my altitude changes by 140 vertical feet in the first half mile of my run.

Is this good, bad or indifferent as I am training for my first 5k since high school?

This morning before work, I did the third walk/jog interval work out of the C25K program; I'm working toward a 5k race on May 5th.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

Return to “Fit Club”