The Official Running thread!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Patman

Re: The Official Running thread!

Postby Patman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:35 am UTC

Having just got back into running and Jiu Jitsu after 1 month off it was a rude awakening! I went for an 8 km run and it took me 40 min, I was exhausted and my legs died. So I bought new ones and kicked training up a notch. Committed to the "Round the Bay" half marathon on February 21. It'll be my first official half ever. A bit zealous but I hope to crack 1:30.

I've been cranking the under armour tights. They rock. They keep me very cool in the heat over here. I've been wearing them grappling as well, saves me from various nicks and grazes and gives you just a little more grip at the knees.

How is everybody and their running?

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

I'm hoping to run the Rotterdam marathon (April 11, I'll be in NL for the whole semester), so that's what I've been training for... I've just been doing normal training for now, but when I get there I hope to do replace some running with lots of biking, since my body usually responds well to that running-wise (even though I am probably slow at biking).
lol everything matters
-Ed

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

I've jogged once since the Chicago Marathon; it's been brutally cold and I'm woefully out of shape now. I'm running an 8k in March; I hope to get a couple long runs in, even if I have to join a gym for a month and use a treadmill.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

Running Newb question -

I have only been running for about 3 months, but my long saturday runs are starting the ~10 mile mark(goal is a marathon by June). I find myself getting dehydrated and low on energy by the end. I tried wearing my Camelback but it just isn't comfortable while running. What do you guys do to keep hydrated on long runs?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:45 am UTC

I just stop at water fountains along the way. I've never liked the feeling of wearing things when I run; aside from an armstrap for my iPod, running shorts and shoes are all I can really get comfortable in. Anything that approaches my knees or covers my torso, head, arms/hands, is just icky.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I just stop at water fountains along the way. I've never liked the feeling of wearing things when I run; aside from an armstrap for my iPod, running shorts and shoes are all I can really get comfortable in. Anything that approaches my knees or covers my torso, head, arms/hands, is just icky.

How on earth do you run in the winter, then? (Unless you live in one of those warm places)
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

I'm getting into cross country more recently; ran 3.5 miles in 24 minutes, which I was very pleased with. I know it's nothing special, but it's a lot more than at the start of the season, so that's cool.

TheNegotiator

Postby TheNegotiator » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Marine Corps Physical Fitness test, part of which is a 3 mile run. A perfect 100 is 18 minutes, I did it in 19:40. Seeing as my goal was sub 20:, I'm happy. That was a personal best, too. Woop woop.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:22 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:How on earth do you run in the winter, then? (Unless you live in one of those warm places)

I live in Chicago; it was 6 degrees yesterday morning.

I don't run in the winter, and I hate it. I've belonged to a few gyms over the years and would crank out a few miles on a treadmill, but that's a pretty lame surrogate.

In other news, I'm going to do a mini-Triathalon with two friends in Cali late March. I'm pretty pumped.

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:35 am UTC

I start my running regime tomorrow, wish me luck! :D
17/F/Australian/weird

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:09 am UTC

Barefoot or forefoot running: Science! Looks like the data support what I've found anecdotally and what a lot of you have been saying.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

Well, I'm spending the semester in Amsterdam now... it's a really nice place to run, there are bike / pedestrian paths in every direction imaginable. There aren't any hills though, which seems good, but eventually I want to run some hills. There is a nice park nearby with dirt trails and a good-sized hill, though. They also hold random cross country meets (with team scoring, even) throughout the year, something they don't do where I'm from outside of school. Europeans must take running more seriously, or something....... :o
Also, I was considering getting those barefoot running shoes (whatever they're actually called) rather than buy new shoes out here.
lol everything matters
-Ed

MoghLiechty2

Postby MoghLiechty2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I've jogged once since the Chicago Marathon; it's been brutally cold and I'm woefully out of shape now. I'm running an 8k in March; I hope to get a couple long runs in, even if I have to join a gym for a month and use a treadmill.

You did the Chicago Marathon? Out of curiosity, did you happen to come in anywhere around 4:11:19 race time? (my chip time was 3:58).

Are you going to be doing it again this year? I've been contemplating it.

Patman

Postby Patman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:14 am UTC

So, I've become a hard-out in the last wee while. Running as much as I can, my fitness is the best it's ever been. My resting pulse sits at sub 58. I seem to have more energy than ever too. All going well I'll enter the 5km next week and smash my PB.

Zapheod wrote:I tried wearing my Camelback but it just isn't comfortable while running. What do you guys do to keep hydrated on long runs?

Keep well hydrated at all times and you'll get dehydrated less running. You can keep hydrated better by eating heaps more vegetables and using an electrolyte supplement. Run faster, you'll improve your form and finish your runs sooner giving you less time to get dehydrated.

What sort of mileage are you people doing?
Has anyone committed any serious time to barefoot running at speed? on pavement?

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

Zapheod wrote:I tried wearing my Camelback but it just isn't comfortable while running. What do you guys do to keep hydrated on long runs?

It just occurred to me, and this may not be possible on your runs, but if it's possible, you could try to plan your route such that you pass by public water fountains or sinks at points in your run where you begin to need water. That way, you don't have to carry it with you, but you won't be dehydrated during the run.

Of course, general hydration rules still apply - be sure to drink plenty of water before running, but be careful not to over hydrate during the run, when you're vulnerable to hyponatremia and water intoxication if you really drink a large quantity. Don't drink more than about a liter per hour; any more and you'll start to dilute.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Of course, general hydration rules still apply - be sure to drink plenty of water before running, but be careful not to over hydrate during the run, when you're vulnerable to hyponatremia and water intoxication if you really drink a large quantity.

And plenty of water after the run, too, of course, since that's when you're really in debt. Sometimes I just leave water at home and do a bunch of short loops so I pass by home every once in a while. Yeah, it's not the most fun way to run, but I don't mind it.
lol everything matters
-Ed

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

So I *finally* got my hands on a pair of Nike Frees; I've been looking for them for nearly a year now. I'll post a report once I get to run in them, but at least they seem to fit ok. My foot size difference is noticeable, though, which it usually isn't in other shoes. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to change the location for my long runs to a nearby park(2.6 mile loop and 2 water fountains). I also bought a water belt. Carries ~40 oz of water and has a little pouch for my keys, ipod and some energy gels(once I need them).

Speaking of energy gels, at what point do you guys think using them is helpful?

Totally different topic.. Can anyone reccomend some good books/websites on how to increase my speed/cardio health? I have been running for a 3 months and am stuck at ~10-11 min miles. The distance I can run has increased substantially but not my speed.

Patman

Postby Patman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

Zapheod wrote:Speaking of energy gels, at what point do you guys think using them is helpful?

Anywhere after ~15k leaves me wanting a glucose hit but I have never taken anything with me. A running friend of mine has used the gels a lot. He says that they are sickly sweet and hard to swallow after a while, that you need to drink a lot of water and be using them before you are actually hungry.

Zapheod wrote:Totally different topic.. Can anyone reccomend some good books/websites on how to increase my speed/cardio health? I have been running for a 3 months and am stuck at ~10-11 min miles. The distance I can run has increased substantially but not my speed.

Any running book will have tips on increasing your speed.

I ran a cruised 10km in Feelmax "barefoot" runners. Super light and great up hill. I have a slightly bruised ball of left foot today.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 am UTC

First run since december. Starting from scratch indeed. Moving/working/knee issues kept me from running. Now I've said I'd participate in the Batavierenloop (basically long distance relay for students). I need to get back up to my 10k form pretty soon. >_<
Today was a 2.5k run. Went well enough I guess >_<
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 am UTC

I've always been a terrible runner, with pretty low endurance. Getting a mile at a very slow jog was hard for me (especially with the asthma acting up).

I'd just like to say that I managed a mile in under 8 minutes the other day :D It's not extremely fast, but it's the fastest I've ever been able to do it, as before 10 minutes was pushing it.

Unfortunately now I have a nasty head-cold so I've had to postpone running for a little bit.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:52 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:I've always been a terrible runner, with pretty low endurance. Getting a mile at a very slow jog was hard for me (especially with the asthma acting up).

I'd just like to say that I managed a mile in under 8 minutes the other day :D It's not extremely fast, but it's the fastest I've ever been able to do it, as before 10 minutes was pushing it.

Unfortunately now I have a nasty head-cold so I've had to postpone running for a little bit.

I found that once I could run 2 miles or so, I could run about an arbitrary distance at 8minute miles.

Unfortunately, I managed to injury my foot a bit while running (must have hurt one of the muscles that supports the arch), and it's been snowing non-stop, so I haven't been able to run at all for the past few weeks.

Patman

Postby Patman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:20 am UTC

I just finished the half marathon I've been training for.

I've been running around 60km a week, some really hard runs, hills, and lots of 10 km. Ran half a hard tramping track called The Southern Crossing and it had me peeing blood for most of a week. Good times.

I took Saturday easy as, lots and lots of electrolytes with my water. Potato hash for lunch for lunch and nasi pataya for dinner, a hot bath and a few more carbs just before sleep.

I had a walk last night and hid a gel pack at the ~8km mark. It's the first time I've used gel or eaten at all during a run, and they are quite tricky to eat at first. It's best to squeeze a mouth full of goop just under the tongue. While my mouth was open and I could still breath through my mouth while I ate. consuming it over the next 13km. Seems they work great during the race, I never felt hungry or out of energy. After the race was a different story, I have had a very crook stomach all day and the toilet and I are well acquainted. I have had this feeling after other hard races but never so severe.

Paced well, started out slowish, maybe ~13km/h for the first 7km and then sped up in the middle and ended with a dash and a sprint at the end. At 18km some speedy codger started chatting to me, asking me about the race and talking about how t'riffic the weather was. He was trying to put me off, but I didn't have a bar of it, finishing that convo quick smart and dashed away. He tried to catch up but I was onto him. Just what I needed in the last 3km. Some competition!

I think I cracked the 90 minute mark and I get to see if I did in tomorrows paper (there was no clock). I'm pretty excited!

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

Patman wrote:Ran half a hard tramping track called The Southern Crossing and it had me peeing blood for most of a week. Good times.

I hope you saw a doctor about this. Peeing blood is one of those things that is NEVER GOOD.

TheNegotiator

Postby TheNegotiator » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Patman wrote:Ran half a hard tramping track called The Southern Crossing and it had me peeing blood for most of a week. Good times.

I hope you saw a doctor about this. Peeing blood is one of those things that is NEVER GOOD.

Much like compound fractures, burnt popcorn, or velociraptors.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Patman wrote:He was trying to put me off, but I didn't have a bar of it, finishing that convo quick smart and dashed away. He tried to catch up but I was onto him. Just what I needed in the last 3km. Some competition
Nice... I ran a 10k race this morning, and after drifting and slowing down from about 5k to 9k (and just trying not to get lost), I heard two guys coming up from behind, and similarly, I kicked it in. I finished a somewhat distant third in 38:00, right in front of the 4th and 5th guy. I ran the first 5k in 18:10, but the problem was the guy I was running with was the guy who won the 5k.

I do want to run a 5k now (or another 10k), my legs have been feeling pretty good lately, and I think I'll be able to PR again. This was the first race in Europe, I hope there are many more... The course was a bit icy today, but perfectly flat.

Also, I think mostly running + some biking is working a lot better than all running. It's a good way to get a good or better overall cardio workout with less stress on the legs, resulting in better running, in my opinion. Once every 2-3 days, after a regular run, I just do 15+ minutes on the bike (more if my ankle is hurting), with a session of 3 hard, 3 easy, 2 hard, 2 easy, 1 hard, 1 easy somewhere in there, and then the next day when I go out running, it feels great a few minutes into the run, and a good way to mix things up if the running has been feeling sluggish for a few days. I got the idea from a serious runner from my college back home, who runs sub-14:30 in the 5k, who started noticing some improvements in his running when training for a triathlon.
lol everything matters
-Ed

Patman

Postby Patman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

Patman wrote:I think I cracked the 90 minute mark and I get to see if I did in tomorrows paper (there was no clock). I'm pretty excited!

89:30 and 44th out of ~1200 :D

@Duckshirt, nice 10km time! I love 10km, 5km is murder on the legs but 10km is smooth...

I'm now training for a mountain event here in NZ, 35 km with an average completion time of 7 hours, It's the toughest one we have. It's in about 3 weeks. You have to team up on your first time through, I'll be running with my brother. Anyone have any serious hill training advice?

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:48 am UTC

Running is really something I've wanted to get into for while - of course, I have never once found a pair of shoes that were comfortable for running in. And I've always enjoyed sprinting a lot more than marathoning - nothing is quite like the feel of running so fast. Woosh!

But longer running, damn I've never found a pair of shoes that doesn't end up hurting. Burning, cramped feet no matter what. I've always loved running barefoot, but thats not practical in a lot of situations (mostly the ones I come across)

So, I'm going to be looking at some Nike Frees, the NB800s, and even the VFFs next week - hopefully, they'll and make things more pleasant, but there's still the chance they just plane won't fit - most shoes don't, shoe shopping is always a "try on a hundred pairs to find one thats wide enough at the toes/balls without being super loose everywhere else or way too long" experience, and then debate whether or not to get it even though it looks like cat vomit in shoe form.

If I can find something I can run in without immense discomfort, I'm hoping to start up some sort of regular schedule, and get a lot of running done in a bunch of different places while I'm roaming the country over the summer.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

johny223

Postby johny223 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

I'm just a kid so I run about a 6:30 mile every day just for the lulz. (actually a seceret preperation for the zombie apocolapse)

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

Are you going to run some 5k races along the way, Griffin? At least, you sound like a competitive person.........
lol everything matters
-Ed

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:20 am UTC

I actually would like to do something like that, but I have no idea how to find out about them, nonetheless join them. Most of the local races of any sort I've seen are Charity Marathon events, and thus more expensive to join than I can afford right now.

I might look into it for the summer though. Be nice to give myself a goal and thus some extra motivation.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Thurid

Postby Thurid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:42 am UTC

Wow almost everyone here seems to do distance running....personally I couldn't if my life depended on it haha.

Anyway I'm a sprinter, although mainly I do hurdles for my High Schools Track Team....it's actually not as hard as one would think, but flexibility is so important. We run about a mile and a half a day, with about a mile involving hurdles so i guess my endurance is okay. And it's really helped me get in shape and work out my core (sporting an 8 pack! :mrgreen: ) and, like I said before, help my flexibility.

Good luck to all of you who are doing distance!
You put the 'ass' in mass murder.

Patman

Postby Patman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:34 am UTC

Thurid wrote:Wow almost everyone here seems to do distance running....personally I couldn't if my life depended on it haha.

I really enjoy running, anything shorter than 5km wouldn't take long enough. You could probably enjoy running longer distances if you learned to pace yourself. I have my second 'long' run of the day coming up and just the thought of it makes me happy.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

I wish I had access to hurdles. I love hurdles, and sprinting.

I just want to try getting into the longer stuff because I haven't yet, and I might like that too.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Bah, stupid VFFs. They feel comfy and I'd like one, but apparently they don't make pairs that fit me, as they only come in one shape, and that shape in no way approximates the shape of my own toe structure.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm UTC

Griffin wrote:Bah, stupid VFFs. They feel comfy and I'd like one, but apparently they don't make pairs that fit me, as they only come in one shape, and that shape in no way approximates the shape of my own toe structure.

Why are you wearing the Vietnamese Fatherland Front on your feet?

(what's a vff?)

Thurid

Postby Thurid » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:28 am UTC

I don't know about distance shoes but I think that any kind of Nikes are good for running....just my opinion though.

Also the only reason i have access to hurdles is cuz I'm on my high schools track team haha....but yea they are alot of fun and I'd prefer them to doing distance running any day haha.
You put the 'ass' in mass murder.

TheNegotiator

Postby TheNegotiator » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 am UTC

Personal best, 3 miles in 19:02. I'm trying to bring that down to 18:00, which is a perfect 100 on the physical fitness test for the US Marines (whose training camp I will be at this summer).

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:50 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:(what's a vff?)
I think those would be those Fivefingers shoe. I've seen some guys on the cross country team with them and have thought about trying them in the future... I wonder if they wear out after the same amount of time like my regular shoes, or if they would last a lot longer because they don't need to support you. Because if I wouldn't have to buy new shoes for a while, it would be even more tempting...
lol everything matters
-Ed

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:53 am UTC

Vff = Vibram Five Finger, the split toe shoes.

Return to “Fit Club”