The Official Running thread!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

el_loco_avs

Re: The Official Running thread!

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 am UTC

Hm. Anyone have any tips for running in the morning? Due to my new job I don't have time to run in the evenings anymore, which means most of the time I would have to run early in the morning right when I get up. I feel soooo much stiffer and.. well.. weaker when I run in the morning. I try to warm up and stretch more but it doesn't seem to help.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

It feels like a muscle issue mostly. Like I've not warmed up enough. I can run fine before dinner for example.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:It feels like a muscle issue mostly. Like I've not warmed up enough. I can run fine before dinner for example.

True, but remember, you've also had lunch and ideally breakfast as well, so there's fuel in the tank as it were to run in the evening. Running in the morning, you've got pretty much nothing to run on. That being said, don't scarf down two meals worth and then run right away, but I'm sure you already knew that. :mrgreen:
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

VPeric

Postby VPeric » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

On the other hand, running in the morning means the fat stores will start getting used sooner - as, well, you don't have fuel ready in you. So, just go at your long-race pace and it'll be ok. And you'll get used to it eventually.

All that said, though, I still prefer evenings for running(/cycling/etc).

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Hm. Anyone have any tips for running in the morning? Due to my new job I don't have time to run in the evenings anymore, which means most of the time I would have to run early in the morning right when I get up. I feel soooo much stiffer and.. well.. weaker when I run in the morning. I try to warm up and stretch more but it doesn't seem to help.

Rub both your thigh and calf muscles with vigorous long strokes. This action will greatly warm your leg muscles with the localised attention and your entire body with vigorous motion.

Percutane is also an option to warm your legs; however, the product can be quite troublesome.
"The Graal... is a weight so heavy that creatures in the bondage of sin are unable to move it from its place."
─Wolfram von Eschenbach, Parzival, IX, 477

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday I did 10 milers at about an 8, 830 pace. Monday and today I biked to work (25 miles round trip).

Marathons in a month so I'm a bit behind, but feeling good on those runs.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

WholeLottaSean

Postby WholeLottaSean » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Hm. Anyone have any tips for running in the morning? Due to my new job I don't have time to run in the evenings anymore, which means most of the time I would have to run early in the morning right when I get up. I feel soooo much stiffer and.. well.. weaker when I run in the morning. I try to warm up and stretch more but it doesn't seem to help.

When I used to run in the morning it always helped to have some coffee/pro plus before going out

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:28 am UTC

Right now I just try to get some OJ or even coke (which i don't actually drink anymore) in my system before setting out. Just 5k runs for now. I'll try reab's suggestion tomorrow morning.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:17 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday I did 10 milers at about an 8, 830 pace. Monday and today I biked to work (25 miles round trip).

Marathons in a month so I'm a bit behind, but feeling good on those runs.

Is that Chicago?

I'm running a 10 mile race tomorrow... Last year, the race had about 500, but they're expecting 1000 this year, so my goal of finishing top 10 will be harder. I am also running a 10-mile race because my 5ks have been horrible this summer (for the first time in my life, I have been running the same events consistently slower than the previous year), and I want to see if I'm just more used to long distance races, or burned out in general. After all, this is the first year I'm not coming from a track season in the spring, but rather a long distance (25k) road race in May.
lol everything matters
-Ed

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:00 am UTC

Just ran for my second time since moving to Louisiana. Oh my, it is hot and humid here! (But also flat and sea level) There is something very cathartic about running and oozing like you do in this humidity. But I did really think the sea level would cancel out the heat/humidity. Not so much.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

Alright, back to the intervals after a week off from a shin splint and a recovery week. The stats on this run, 41:39, 8.16 km. Feeling good.
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

My best run at the minute, according to Nike+, is on a ~4.43 km undulating track in 21'57" at a 4'57" pace that must become a 4'00" pace eventually.
"The Graal... is a weight so heavy that creatures in the bondage of sin are unable to move it from its place."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

This is mainly for my own benefit of logging improvements. When I first started running, I managed 2.2k at 10kph. Which, as anyone knows, is more of a canter than a run. But that was three months ago. And it nearly killed me. Now I can run 3.2k (2 miles) in 14:30 (~12.5kph). And my physiotherapist is trying to get me geared towards 5k running, instead of just 3.2k. (this is all done on one them fancy running machine majiggers, with the incline set to 0.0-1.0) I hate it; I like the rowing machine best (I wish they had canoeing machines, so I could at least see where I was going).

Anyway, as from today, I'm going to try to achieve a 5k run, with attempts 3-4 times per week. Edit: ha!

My results:
  • 22/09/09: 3.5k - 17 minutes 30 seconds - Treadmill
  • 23/09/09: 4.2k - 21 minutes 54 seconds - Treadmill
  • 05/10/09: 5.0k - 32 minutes 00 seconds - Treadmill
  • 06/10/09: 4.0k - 21 minutes 48 seconds - Treadmill
  • 13/10/09: 5.0k - 26 minutes 32 seconds - Treadmill
  • 14/10/09: 5.0k - 25 minutes 12 seconds - Treadmill
  • 19/10/09: 5.0k - 27 minutes 48 seconds - Treadmill
    Three year hiatus! woo!
  • 22/07/12: 5.0k - 34 minutes 57 seconds - Park
  • 23/07/12: 2.5k - 15 minutes 12 seconds - Park
  • 28/07/12: 7.2k - 47 minutes 00 seconds - Park
  • 29/07/12: 5.0k - 32 minutes 05 seconds - Park
  • 02/08/12: 5.0k - 32 minutes 05 seconds - Park
  • 04/08/12: 5.0k - 29 minutes 00 seconds - Park
  • 05/08/12: 5.0k - 28 minutes 44 seconds - Park
    Spinal injury! Ouch!
  • 08/09/12: 10k! - 74 minutes 57 seconds - Riverside
  • 09/09/12: 5.0k - 32 minutes 06 seconds - Riverside
  • 10/09/12: 5.0k - 29 minutes 08 seconds - Riverside
  • 12/09/12: 5.0k - 29 minutes 27 seconds - Riverside
  • 13/09/12: 5.0k - 28 minutes 48 seconds - Riverside
  • 22/09/12: 5.0k - 30 minutes 04 seconds - Selsey
  • 23/09/12: 5.0k - 28 minutes 20 seconds - Selsey
  • 06/10/12: 5.0k - 28 minutes 15 seconds - Park
  • 07/10/12: 5.0k - 27 minutes 59 seconds - Park
  • 13/10/12: 5.0k - 28 minutes 36 seconds - Park
  • 14/10/12: 5.0k - 26 minutes 53 seconds - Park
  • 27/10/12: 5.0k - 26 minutes 58 seconds - Park
  • 17/11/12: 5.0k - 28 minutes 59 seconds - Park
  • 18/11/12: 5.0k - 28 minutes 21 seconds - Park
  • 24/11/12: 5.0k - 26 minutes 55 seconds - Park
  • 07/12/12: 5.0k - 26 minutes 35 seconds - Park
  • 28/12/12: 6.0k - 37 minutes 00 seconds - Riverside
  • 05/01/13: 5.0k - 28 minutes 19 seconds - Park
  • 06/01/13: 5.0k - 26 minutes 54 seconds - Park
  • 13/01/13: 5.0k - 28 minutes 35 seconds - Park
  • 19/01/13: 5.0k - 28 minutes 16 seconds - Park
  • 02/02/13: 5.0k - 25 minutes 28 seconds - Park
  • 03/02/13: 5.0k - 23 minutes 57 seconds - Park - Personal Best!
  • 23/02/13: 5.0k - 24 minutes 06 seconds - ParkRun

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

Felstaff, if you go back a page, I posted a link with an interval program that's designed to get you up to 5K, or 8 or 10 when you're ready for those, maybe you'd like to check them out? That's what I'm doing to work myself up to the 10K.

Also, boosting your speed and distance that much in three months is pretty terrific, I had about the same jump. I started at one mile in 8:45, now I can probably cut 5K in around 22 minutes, and a 3K in 11:45 or so.

Also:

Felstaff wrote:I like the rowing machine best (I wish they had canoeing machines, so I could at least see where I was going).

I had to steal a chuckle at that. Maybe they should put front-view mirrors on the rowers?

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:57 am UTC

Morning runs seem to be going better. It's hard at the start but I can get a decent time going now. Quickest post-injury 5k so far. 27 mins. I'm not really pushing very hard yet though.

I need to get used to running 8+ k in the weekends or something.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Taiyo

Postby Taiyo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

This probably isn't going to be big for all your hardcore runners out there but I'm totally thrilled and just wanted to proclaim: VICTORY!

I've always hated running, probably because my entire life I'd get winded before 1/4 mile was up. I started this whole "Learn to run" program in March/April-ish and had a few setbacks from getting sick for a couple of weeks...but last night for the first time in my life, I finally ran for 30 minutes straight! (30:12 minutes 2.65 miles according to my Nike+ thing)

I am shocked! It worked! I didn't die! :D

It feels really weird to feel like running a 5k or 10k isn't out of reach and that maybe I could really one day run a mile in under 10 minutes (humble goals, I know). I guess I'll have to figure out what the next step is, but now I feel like I can really say "I run" without feeling like I'm faking it.

The other thing I just wanted to say is that you guys are really positive and awesome, even if I'm not in the same class, and as silly as it sounds, at about minute 22 I wanted to quit but I said to myself, "If you make it to minute 30 you can actually finally tell the xkcd guys that you made it, so you can't quit now!", so thank you! :lol:

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

Taiyo wrote:This probably isn't going to be big for all your hardcore runners out there but I'm totally thrilled and just wanted to proclaim: VICTORY!

I've always hated running, probably because my entire life I'd get winded before 1/4 mile was up. I started this whole "Learn to run" program in March/April-ish and had a few setbacks from getting sick for a couple of weeks...but last night for the first time in my life, I finally ran for 30 minutes straight! (30:12 minutes 2.65 miles according to my Nike+ thing)

I am shocked! It worked! I didn't die! :D

It feels really weird to feel like running a 5k or 10k isn't out of reach and that maybe I could really one day run a mile in under 10 minutes (humble goals, I know). I guess I'll have to figure out what the next step is, but now I feel like I can really say "I run" without feeling like I'm faking it.

The other thing I just wanted to say is that you guys are really positive and awesome, even if I'm not in the same class, and as silly as it sounds, at about minute 22 I wanted to quit but I said to myself, "If you make it to minute 30 you can actually finally tell the xkcd guys that you made it, so you can't quit now!", so thank you! :¡This cheese is burning me!:

Fantastic post‼...

I felt the exact same about running when starting off.

Bragging rights are a great motivator :)

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

Awesome to hear, Taiyo, keep on rockin'! And don't forget, that 10-minute mile, you can run a much quicker pace over that shorter distance, so that target may not be as far off as you think. I actually started the summer at an 8:45 mile, end of April, now I'm at 5:53, so you can make some huge gains in pretty short order.

As for me, decided to eschew the interval training for some speed work.

1K: 3:23.15.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am UTC

Taiyo wrote: VICTORY!

awesome! hi5!

It's all about small steps and attainable goals!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

I've stopped running because a twinge in my knee didn't go away after the last attempt and now it actually hurts quite a bit. I'm going to go and get my stride filmed at some store in London, where they will be able to confirm I run like the lovechild of Hugh Grant and an ostrich (I land on the outside of my heel, and then my feet splay outwards; totally the opposite to normal people). Then they can find me a suitable pair of running shoes. Like all the physios at work have told me; injury is inevitable without proper footwear. Dammit.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

It's true. My left knee was killing me after every single run, and then I bought a new pair of running shoes, and the pain magically disappeared within 2 workouts. Made me much more inclined to run.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

I avoided knee pain by changing my stride, landing more on the balls of my feet. Is this good/bad, and can it help others?
Why do you assume that I exist?

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

I avoid knee pain by running long and hard enough that my body releases natural opiates that dull any pain.

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:10 am UTC

Pulled a best today at a 4'52" pace over 4.45 km according to my Nike+ wristband and a 4'53" pace over 4.44 km according to the Nike.com website displayed uploaded data... so does that mean that the wristbands display drops fractions and the web site rounds?

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

Dammit man, shin splints are back with a vengeance. Any kind of impact is at least slightly painful, and running is no way no how. So getting onto the elliptical instead, since the impact is much much lower.

Anyone have advice on how to treat shin splints? I take a rest week, but it seems to never be enough, nor does wrapping it when not in use. I'm trying to improvise ice packs since I don't have a proper one. THis is getting mighty annoying, and I have a race in three weeks.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Samsoneffect wrote:Anyone have advice on how to treat shin splints? I take a rest week, but it seems to never be enough, nor does wrapping it when not in use. I'm trying to improvise ice packs since I don't have a proper one. THis is getting mighty annoying, and I have a race in three weeks.

Can't help with the shin splints, but bags of frozen peas or corn make excellent, cheap ice packs. Just don't eat them later :).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

Sophie had this question earlier;

Freeze a bunch of dixie cups about 3/4 full, and when they're frozen, peel the cup down a bit (like a banana) and rub the cube into your shins.

Also stretch.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

3.14mp

Postby 3.14mp » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:17 am UTC

I'm a high-school xc runner, running six times a week, and competing 1 or 2 times a week.

My current PR is 22:11 for the 5k. (However, this was at the end of last season... my last race was run at 23:57.)

My goals for the remainder of the season are to break 22 minutes, and run the state meet as part of the varsity team.

Sadly, I've been feeling miserable for various reasons for a while, and I don't know how fast I'm going to be bouncing back. (Shin splints, knee pain, neck pain, back pain, and now (hopefully not, but entirely possibly) a god-awful cold.) I'm hoping that my constant ice baths will cure my shin splints, and that the possible cold turns out to be terrible allergies.

... you'll probably be seeing a lot of me on this thread. I like running far too much.

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:32 am UTC

3.14mp wrote:I'm hoping that my constant ice baths will cure my shin splints, and that the possible cold turns out to be terrible allergies.

um... slight chance that the ice baths are responsible for the cold‼

3.14mp

Postby 3.14mp » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

iblis.raeb wrote: um... slight chance that the ice baths are responsible for the cold‼

I only take ice baths in warm weather, and I always make sure to dry off after, but I guess that it probably didn't help. :-|

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

When I got a slight case of shinsplints when I started out I just made sure not to strain myself more... and rubbed them down a lot with something like tiger-balm.
That lessened it and it eventually faded completely.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

I feel obliged to point out that shin splints are one of the major reasons I doubt I will ever become a running nut, and ice baths as a cure? another damned good reason!
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

icenine

Postby icenine » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

Finally got back to running again after nearly half a year of not running... schoolwork makes such a convenient excuse to slack off :oops: I'm even worse than I was before, and will probably take it slow for now, since I have another major exam in November. I feel so lucky I don't have injuries, though.

Looking forward to it!

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:21 am UTC

Good luck with with rebuilding that fitness.

I've recently taken up Wii Fit as a way to cross-train. Some of that stuff gets pretty tough actually :mrgreen: MY shoulders are sore
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

Marathon tomorrow

EDIT: 12 minutes faster then last year, still shy of breaking 4. Feel better then last year as well, sore as opposed to paralyzed.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:52 am UTC

Woah. Great job man!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

Nice... I was too busy last weekend to make it down to watch, but I kind of want to run it next year.
lol everything matters
-Ed

3.14mp

Postby 3.14mp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 am UTC

sprained my ankle last week. :( It wasn't too bad, so I've been walking on it for the last couple of days. I did a short run today (probably no more then 20 minutes) and it was incredibly sore. I used a compression sleeve for the first four days, but since the swelling has almost entirely stopped, I've stopped wearing it.

Anybody have any tips on how to get me back on my feet as soon as possible? It would be much appreciated! :mrgreen:

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:02 am UTC

3.14mp wrote:Anybody have any tips on how to get me back on my feet as soon as possible? It would be much appreciated! :mrgreen:

Stay off your feet for as long as possible.

Remedial massages are great although very painful (must have a quality masseuse/masseur for remedial).

...and get plenty of sleep‼

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:44 am UTC

3.14mp wrote:sprained my ankle last week. :( It wasn't too bad, so I've been walking on it for the last couple of days. I did a short run today (probably no more then 20 minutes) and it was incredibly sore. I used a compression sleeve for the first four days, but since the swelling has almost entirely stopped, I've stopped wearing it.

Anybody have any tips on how to get me back on my feet as soon as possible? It would be much appreciated! :mrgreen:

I recently sprained my ankle. It's been over a month, and it's still not 100% (but pretty damn close). Made a snapping sound, but I could walk on it right away. These things should be treated carefully; it's pretty easy to turn a few-week-long inconvenience into a life-long inconvenience. In the first few days, RICE. Take ibuprofen until the swelling goes down. Avoid serious activity, but do ankle mobility exercises and some ultra-short runs if it doesn't hurt. As you return to activity, consider taping or bracing it; I've been using athletic tape, because those braces are uncomfortable and don't provide much support anyway. Use pain as a guide for deciding how much intensity your ankle can take; if something hurts, stop.

To stay in shape in the meantime, do something low-impact, like swimming. I got back to weight training pretty soon after my injury, but took my time ramping up the intensity of my judo. I'm still taping it and being careful, but I can get thrown around now without pain or worry. No leg-locks yet, though.

Return to “Fit Club”