The Official Running thread!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Patman

Re: The Official Running thread!

Postby Patman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:15 am UTC

Nath, it's good to see another grappler/runner, whooop! Can't beat the running for cardio.
I've been running a year now and it is awesome, the best thing I ever did was get some proper runners, a pair of bouncy Mizunos.
Mixing up my running with. LSD 9~14km hills, 10km slow and flat, 5 km lamppost fartleks, 5km slow, 5km hills and a 5km race every Tuesday.

A local running club (Scottish Harriers) in Wellington runs the 5km race every Tuesday, it finishes with a free beer(mmm) and prize giving at The Loaded Hog. The course goes out 2.5km and then returns, it's perfectly flat but gets awfully windy at times as it runs along the Wellington waterfront.
My PB is 17:59 (last month) but I've been around the 18:0x mark lately.
This Tuesday was slower at 18:33 but it was hell windy (the series leader was a whole minute slower than usual.) I also tried drafting behind someone in the windiest part and consequently had enough energy to pip him at the finish.

The series keeps running until December 15 and I hoping for a sub 17:30 before the series is out that would be terrific. I think lamppost fartleks will be the key.

Anyone tried a velocity/heart rate monitor???

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

Heh. Last week I was running in tshirt and shorts. This morning I had full winter gear on in freezing temperatures. Winter came in hard!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

Patman wrote:Nath, it's good to see another grappler/runner, whooop! Can't beat the running for cardio.

Actually, I don't run. I'm thinking about starting running (or maybe some stair sprints; there's a long staircase nearby), but I figured I should probably wait till the ankle is closer to 100% first. Nowadays, sparring is my main form of cardio.

Do you find that running helps you on the mat?

Patman

Postby Patman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:00 am UTC

Nath wrote:Do you find that running helps you on the mat?

Yes. The increased cardiovascular fitness means I can handle the pressure and think straight. It also means I can spar non stop roll after roll which is great, I spar a lot more than most of my training partners which is great for experience. The down side is that my legs get fatigued after a long run and my guard (open and butterfly predominately) suffers. My legs are simply not as fast, flexible or strong as they are if I have a week without recovery(no running). Of course this means I must play more technically to compensate, which is also a plus.

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

5K race in two hours! Looking forward to it, and hopefully a new PR if I can suck it up and brave the less-than-comfortable temperatures. Looking for a 20-minute run if I'm really good, 22 if I'm not.

EDIT: Okay, so that run, at about 3.5 km, just turned to absolute HELL. Pretty much the whole fourth km was up-and-down, and just killed me. Ended up finishing at 23:11, though, which was 17th among the people doing the 5K out of about 140 or something? I don't remember how many, but it was more than I initially thought. Also started out way too fast, I hit the 2K mark at about 8:15, and just wiped by the end. But hey, for my first race, I'm pretty happy!
Last edited by Samsoneffect on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Samsoneffect wrote:Also started out way too fast, I hit the 2K mark at about 8:15, and just wiped by the end. But hey, for my first race, I'm pretty happy!
Gotta love excitement of races... :D If you get a couple more races under your belt, your body will eventually figure out how to race a 5k intelligently...

I think I am finally breaking out of my running slump from last summer through September... I entered a collegiate 8k unattached, and nearly beat two kids on my college's cross team, who both crushed me last time we raced. The whole race was a mud bowl, though, thus everybody was quite a bit slow (I was about 31:30, the two kids I almost beat ended up only 15-20 seconds ahead, and their PRs are around 29 flat). I definitely had a similar problem of getting excited and starting out fast, having not raced an 8k, and I paid for that at the end, but was still happy... Now, I need to find a good 5k road race to get in soon.
lol everything matters
-Ed

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

duckshirt wrote:Gotta love excitement of races... :D If you get a couple more races under your belt, your body will eventually figure out how to race a 5k intelligently...

Yeah, I figured the added adrenaline from the race environment would carry me a bit faster and longer at that pace, but I wasn't counting on the gorram hills. It was an unfamiliar course though, which didn't help things on that front, and I'm used to running relatively flat road 5K runs. I'm still happy about it though, it was a great time!
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

Patman

Postby Patman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:01 am UTC

Good stuff Sampson, sounds like a gruelling course and well done on your placing.
I've got my Tuesday 5k in two hours, drinking lotsa water and eating some chocolate. I'm feeling rather springy too. ~18 minutes would be great depending on the weather.

Patman

Postby Patman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

It was an odd run, I truly enjoyed it and didn't feel as if I was pushing myself at all. My breathing was really natural.
Afterwards I checked the watch of a fellow just ahead of me and figured my time was ~18:20.
Mentally I felt gutless. I usually hate my best runs because they feel so hard.

Checked the official table of results today and I had actually beat my PB by a whole 1 second with 17:58 @ 14th place :D

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

5k?

Went for a 10 miler lastnight to celebrate the end of runnable weather. Nice easy 50 minute jog, felt great.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Went for a 10 miler lastnight to celebrate the end of runnable weather. Nice easy 50 minute jog, felt great.

10 miler for 50 min? You amazing bastard.

I've got another half marathon lined up soon! Should be funsies, although it's getting kind of nippy now, so it could be odd.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Patman wrote:It was an odd run, I truly enjoyed it and didn't feel as if I was pushing myself at all. My breathing was really natural.
Afterwards I checked the watch of a fellow just ahead of me and figured my time was ~18:20.
Mentally I felt gutless. I usually hate my best runs because they feel so hard.

Checked the official table of results today and I had actually beat my PB by a whole 1 second with 17:58 @ 14th place :D

Really nice effort, Patman‼

I've been running sore all week, since many hours of painting in an awkward squat position at a pantomime working bee─a back of the thighs Percutane rub down should get me through today's run.
"The Graal... is a weight so heavy that creatures in the bondage of sin are unable to move it from its place."
─Wolfram von Eschenbach, Parzival, IX, 477

Patman

Postby Patman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:5k?

Went for a 10 miler lastnight to celebrate the end of runnable weather. Nice easy 50 minute jog, felt great.

Yup 5k.

Your 10 mile 'jog' is very fast! What would be your running pace?

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Heh, I think that's some sort of misprint... I don't even think the fastest Kenyans do light easy jogs at 5:00/mile... Ryan Hall goes maybe 5:30...

Nice job on the 5k, Patman... You have beaten my 5k PR by a second as well, which makes me want to get out and race again more. Unfortunately, I can't find any races I can do around here until Thanksgiving... I may have to settle for solo time trials until then. I with they had one of those weekly racing series near me...
lol everything matters
-Ed

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:5k?

End? START!

Bring on the coooold!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

It was a total misprint. 10 minute miler pace, nice and easy.

el_loco_avs wrote:Bring on the coooold!

I run best in temperatures above 65-70. Last years marathon was about 85, and it felt perfect.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

TheNegotiator

Postby TheNegotiator » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

We got a cold front running through here all this week (Florida) and it made life so much nicer. Running in 60-70 a million times better than 85-90. I almost got confused because I wasn't drenched in sweat.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:13 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:It was a total misprint. 10 minute miler pace, nice and easy.

el_loco_avs wrote:Bring on the coooold!

I run best in temperatures above 65-70. Last years marathon was about 85, and it felt perfect.

Say whaaat? 85? I'm tapped out of sweat running around those temperatures in an hour.

I like my just above freezing temps. Cold hands while I warm up... then... perfectly steady body temperature and little perspiration. Say, around 40F (5C, i'm dutch :mrgreen: )

My best feeling race was in freezing temperatures.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Admittedly humidity is rough. But yeah, foreals, being, you know, 1/16th Middle Eastern I totally claim that I'm a desert dweller. At 80 degrees I thermoregulate best, my muscles are warm, my lungs are open, and I can go as nearly naked as I want. Colder then 60 really, and I'm gasping dry, raspy breaths, wearing extra clothing, sweating through it, and shivering.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Most of my running has been on a treadmill because I don't deal well with cooler temperatures outside for running (it hurts my chest so much!), and when it's warm enough to run outside, there is something in the air that makes my whole body break out in a crazy rash. I think it might be cedar. For someone who loves the outdoors so much, it sure doesn't like me.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

I will run hail, rain or shine; however, I prefer a 70F to 75F.
"The Graal... is a weight so heavy that creatures in the bondage of sin are unable to move it from its place."

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 am UTC

Pulled a personal best (according to Nike+) during my Valley Park run today.

21'02" over 4.51km (4'40" pace).

...and brought my best mile time down to 7'05".

I really believe there was an even better time in me; although, I was stitching intensely during the last 500 metres or so.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

That's pretty solid! On a similar note, my younger brother in his second year of cross country just pulled a PR that is ~40 seconds slower then my PR. Little bugger is going to trounce me.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:55 am UTC

Nath wrote:Actually, I don't run. I'm thinking about starting running (or maybe some stair sprints; there's a long staircase nearby), but I figured I should probably wait till the ankle is closer to 100% first. Nowadays, sparring is my main form of cardio.

My ankle is probably good enough to run on now, so I've started looking into shoe options, and learning the form. Does anyone have recommendations for what sort of shoes to wear when landing on the balls of the feet (POSE method or something similar)? Does all the padding and thick heels of standard running shoes interfere? I've heard people recommend thin-soled shoes, but running in Chuck Taylors just seems like a bad idea. Also, is it bad practice to wear running shoes for day-to-day (non-training) purposes? I realize this will make them wear out a bit faster, but apart from that is there anything harmful about it?

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:28 am UTC

Nath wrote:Also, is it bad practice to wear running shoes for day-to-day (non-training) purposes? I realize this will make them wear out a bit faster, but apart from that is there anything harmful about it?
Nope, that's probably the best thing to wear. Most runners wear older, worn-out shoes for everyday walking.
lol everything matters
-Ed

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:50 am UTC

Went for a three-four miler this morning on concrete. I was barely out of breath at the end, but my upper calves started REALLY hurting after about a mile. I usually do cross country where muscularly I'm fine, but this killed. Is this normal?

Patman

Postby Patman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:46 am UTC

duckshirt wrote:
Nath wrote:Also, is it bad practice to wear running shoes for day-to-day (non-training) purposes? I realize this will make them wear out a bit faster, but apart from that is there anything harmful about it?
Nope, that's probably the best thing to wear. Most runners wear older, worn-out shoes for everyday walking.

Tiger have some of the most ace kicks I ever did saw. A lot of the range are old school runners from the eighties bro! I have several different pairs, some are even dressy and I can dash here, there, every where.

TheNegotiator

Postby TheNegotiator » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Went for a three-four miler this morning on concrete. I was barely out of breath at the end, but my upper calves started REALLY hurting after about a mile. I usually do cross country where muscularly I'm fine, but this killed. Is this normal?

Same thing happens to me occasionally, especially if I haven't run in a few days. That first day back, my calves get really tight. Don't know why it happens, don't know what it means, but I'm in the same boat.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

Same here. If i'm not in a regular groove where I run on the same days I occasionally get sore calves during the run. I just make it a shorter run or take it easy if it happens. Usually goes away with a day or two.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

I managed a 45-minute run today, after not running for a couple of months. I learned several things:

running in the cold is definitely easier
running in the cold means you either run without stopping or freeze, meaning that it's the perfect way to motivate yourself
it is NOT smart to make a run longer than any other you've ever made if you haven't been running for a long time
especially if you do it without doing any stretching exercises afterward

Man, the tendons in the back of my knees hurt :(

I'm really proud of myself anyway though :)

Patman

Postby Patman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:39 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:So I hadn't run for a month, and went for a 3.5 miler Wednesday. Went generally fine, and I wasn't even a whole lot slower than my previous speed, although I don't time myself precisely, but my quadriceps hurt till Saturday evening. Is this sort of thing normal?
Have you been stretching? Massage might also work, I have had my ITL band feel so tight I couldn't stand up from sitting or run more than ten meters (my leg just wouldn't fire), I went to a sports massage practitioner and he did some deeep tissue massage specifically on the places that hurt the most. Within the following hour my leg felt a good 80% of what it was normally.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's race was phenomenal, 17:48 is my new PB by 10 seconds, finished in the top 10 for my first time! I really feel heaps choice.
Knocking elbows all the way I was determined to keep up with a sub 18:00 runner called Juan, id 'said let him go' but ego disagreed. I out sprinted Juan at the finish line by 2 seconds. I have never felt so nauseous after a run like I did this race.

My humble strategy:
There are almost always people faster than you. As a racer you will pick someone near by who is running at a similar pace as you to compete with. This person is your anchor. Your performance is limited by your anchor. By starting closer to the starting line, your anchors will be better runners and the harder you will perform to compete.
Therefore if you want to improve your PB, start closer to the starting line than you currently do.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

Now that winter has come and things get dark,
I really don't want to jog through the park,
Or through the small alleys, which I normally traverse,
And lets face it, the cold will only get worse,
So I've switched to treadmill for a short while,
So at-least I can get in a couple of miles,
Although with more work, I'm getting pretty shoddy,
At finding time to work on my body,
I have a feeling when I finally get out again,
It'll feel a lot harder when I begin,
Still, 3.5 km for 20 minutes is tolerable,
To avoid making myself feel horrible.[1]
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:30 am UTC

you take the treadmills,
i'll go up and down hills,
outside's where it's at,
you say cold, i say chill,
cause when i run i'm hot,
the inside is not,
the wide open skies,
the tides, the pride,
you stride or you die,
i don't lie, it's the spot,
who needs the gym, the bikes, the mini track,
when i come in they asthma attack,
dirt passes, grass, asphalt,
when you start running there you don't look back
from the place to be,
even at minus 10 degrees,
if they could see,
ryan hall, ritzenhein, pre
ain't constrained to the treadmill,
they're outside, and free
yet no one on the corner has a swagga like me

(*mild, mild plagarism from Kanye West in a line or two)
lol everything matters
-Ed

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:16 am UTC

*respawns after 3.5 pages of not being around*
:( XC is over for now and it makes me sad. This was my last year in high school.

But it's PREPARING-FOR-HURDLING SEASON NOW! YEAH!

REPETITION OF FORM DRILLS EN MASSE!
AB PAIN!
MORE FORM DRILL REPETITIONS EN MASSE!
SPEED WORK!
MORE FORM DRILL REPETITIONS EN MASSE!

Hehe. I'm having fun with hurdles, repetition en masse aside. Hopefully, I will be able to break 50" in the 300IH by the time track season rolls around. I've got the speed, I just need the form. Anywho, not really any questions, just fishing for some wishes of luck and reporting in.
Oh, and XC went fairly well. Overall drop of around 1:15 in my PR this season. 20:48 now.

Captain Control

Postby Captain Control » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

Does anyone else run barefoot? I ran one race barefoot by accident and now I can't stop.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

I've run barefoot around the grass a few times, and it's really comfortable and good, but now that I want to start doing it regularly, it's getting too cold.

Also, is anyone else running a Turkey Trot tomorrow?
lol everything matters
-Ed

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

I bought a new pair of running shoes that are supposed to simulate running bare foot... will be an interesting 5.5 km tomorrow.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:53 pm UTC

I ran a "17:05", but the course was short... People were saying it was about 3 miles rather than 5k, and I agree... I had a lot left over, and thus had a really strong kick at the end, and felt like I could have run the extra .1 mile in 30 seconds... A couple friends, some ahead of me, some behind, also said they were only about 30 seconds faster than normal, so I think this would have been a big PR for me anyways, it's just too bad it wasn't the full distance. :roll: I didn't think I was in great shape, but I guess the extra biking thrown in has helped me.
lol everything matters
-Ed

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

I still wear a tee and shorts but also a thermal tee and fingerless glovers to keep warm in winter.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:28 am UTC

Underarmour really helps keep warm, and if you pull the sleeves over your hands, they stay warm too... I also wear a hat almost every day, and I have a pair of underarmour tights I got for Christmas one year for when it's below 25-30 F. (I can handle really cold temperatures with my legs, but when it gets that low it isn't smart to freeze your muscles like that.) I also have those Yak Trak (sp?) things that you put over your shoes for when it's snowy and icy on the road, which is nice because you can run almost the same speed as a normal day when the roads are bad.

I live in Michigan, so we get plenty of snow, but it rarely gets much below 0, so we don't really have those windy 30 below days like they have in Minnesota / Wisconsin.
lol everything matters
-Ed

Return to “Fit Club”