Finally getting into shape

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

genghis007

Finally getting into shape

Postby genghis007 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

Hey there guys! I've been reading this specific forum for a while but I've realised I can't find answers to all my questions, so I've made my own thread.

I used to be a very dedicated gymnast, up until the age of 12, training 20 hours a week. When I hit secondary school (I'm English) the work was too much and I stopped. A combination of fast food every day and a severe drop in activity resulted in my weight exploding. I've spent the last few years trying to get control back and I've found myself in a position to have a real go at getting into some sort of respectable shape. College has just finished for summer and I have over a month and a half to focus on myself before the exams kick in again. Here's where I need your help.

I usually cycle to college every day and back, which is an average of about 8 miles a day. This is going to be lost and I need to replace it, whilst also including extra exercises for upper body strength. I've decided to start running, and I've bought a decent pair of running shoes. I've tried the running thread, but I find it very hard to read as it's alot of useful but un-structured posts and suggestions. My main problem is with motivation, I've regularly started plans and stuck to them for a few weeks before losing interest. A great example is the 100 push-up program thing. It went really well for a few weeks, and then I just forgot one day and never re-started. I think my best was 67 push-ups.

So, here's where you come in.

Vital Stats

Height : 5 ft 7 inc
Weight : 10 stone 8 pounds (148 pounds)

Basically, I'm after all and any help you can give me to help motivate myself, tips on running, running plans (distances and breaks) and any other exercised. I'm pretty much set with my diet, I know what I should be eating and I do eat really healthily unless I have a weak moment. I also drink alot of water, still and sparkling, and of course I haven't ever drunk any alcohol in my life because I'm only 17 and that would be illegal... :P

So yeah, feel free to shout your wisdom at me as much as you can, it can only do good.

Thanking you all in advance, :)
Last edited by genghis007 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Click here to make a clicking sound

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Finally getting into shape

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

Stone = 20 lbs, right?

Do you know your rough body fat %?
What is your diet?

genghis007

Postby genghis007 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

1 stone = 14 pounds, sorry i'll fix the above. So i'm 148 pounds roughly. And I'm sorry, I don't know how to find out my body fat %

Current diet : usually a piece of fruit and fruit juice for breakfast, sandwich and another piece or fruit for lunch, dinner's usually my unhealthiest meal of the day, depending on what parents decide to cook. Chicken pie and pototoes, oven fish and chips, pasta, stuff like that. I don't eat after 9pm, helps me to control my sleep pattern, though its not really working atm

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

Ok, 148 is way less than the 208 I thought you were. Bodyfat doesn't really enter into it, it seems.

Your diet seems fine, too. Lots of fruit, roughage. Are you getting enough protein? Depending on what's in the sandwich, I don't see any in your diet at all, and if you're trying to develop skeletal muscle, you need protein, and if you're dedicated to adding muscle mass, you need about (no more than) 100g of protein per day.

Other than motivation, what's standing in your way? Are you like me, and have almost no time to exercise?

If you can do 67 pushups, you sound like you're in good physical shape, so I recommend "The Naked Warrior", which goes into nearly exhaustive levels of detail in regards to pull-ups (two- and one-armed), pistols, and burpees. Just reading this e-book gives me the rush I need to stay motivated.

genghis007

Postby genghis007 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

I think protein's a good shout, thinking about it I don't really eat alot. I'm not really on about increasing muscle mass, just getting into better shape in general. I'm not really fat, there's just a distinct curvature to my stomach that is noticable when I cycle/run which makes me self-conscious. Also, I don't want you to get the wrong end of the stick with the push-ups, I only did that 67 once and that was a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing I couldn't hit that number again if I tried right now.

On motivation, I think one of the things is confidence, I always feel like people are watching me when I'm out. Also, lack of time is a factor, by the time college work is all finished I'm usually shattered and its too dark to go out for a run, and I'm confined to the house again.

genghis007

Postby genghis007 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

Ok not updated this for a while. I've tried to improve my diet, eaten more protein, and proper breakfasts and stuff instead of the normal chocolate bar on the way into college.

Just a quick question. I've noticed that although I've improved my diet and stuck to a decent regular(ish) exercise plan, I'm not losing weight, though I am getting physically stronger and I can feel the difference. Is this normal?

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:26 am UTC

genghis007 wrote:Ok not updated this for a while. I've tried to improve my diet, eaten more protein, and proper breakfasts and stuff instead of the normal chocolate bar on the way into college.

Just a quick question. I've noticed that although I've improved my diet and stuck to a decent regular(ish) exercise plan, I'm not losing weight, though I am getting physically stronger and I can feel the difference. Is this normal?

Yes. Whilst you may be losing body fat, if you're getting stronger you're almost certainly adding muscle mass.

Also, be aware the body loses fat from wherever the hell it likes. And for whatever damned reason, it tends to like to lose it off the belly last. Look around your body. Inner thighs, shoulders, upper arms - this is where I first noticed weight loss when I was doing that thing. :)
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

Return to “Fit Club”