Ski/Snowboard Abilities

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

What level of skiier/boarder are you? How often do you go?

Ski - Green - < 15 Days per Season
7%
Ski - Green - > 15 Days per Season
No votes
Ski - Blue - < 15 Days per Season
10%
Ski - Blue - > 15 Days per Season
No votes
Ski - Black - < 15 Days per Season
20%
Ski - Black - > 15 Days per Season
3%
Ski - Double Black - < 15 Days per Season
30%
Ski - Double Black - > 15 Days per Season
7%
Snowboard - Green - < 15 Days per Season
7%
Snowboard - Green - > 15 Days per Season
No votes
Snowboard - Blue - < 15 Days per Season
7%
Snowboard - Blue - > 15 Days per Season
3%
Snowboard - Black - < 15 Days per Season
3%
Snowboard - Black - > 15 Days per Season
3%
Snowboard - Double Black - < 15 Days per Season
No votes
Snowboard - Double Black - > 15 Days per Season
No votes

Total votes: 30

the.coding.eye

Ski/Snowboard Abilities

Postby the.coding.eye » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

So, the ski/snowboard season is less than three months away and I am excited. I was wondering how many xkcd'ers ski or board and what their abilities are. I buy a season pass every year, go about 20 times a season, and can snowboard black runs and some double black runs.

If you both ski and snowboard, just check two options on the poll.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

spudtheimpaler

Re: Ski/Snowboard Abilities

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

I used to be able to ski black's no problem, but that was years ago. I've not been in ages, adn now I wouldn't try a black for at least a few days, and then reeeeally carefuly. I've recently just moved to Munich though, dead close to the alps, and am seriously hoping to take advantage this season :D
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:30 pm UTC

I board only a few days per year, although decent stations are only 90 minutes away. We don't have double blacks here, but I only take the easiest blacks, unless the snow is really good. I am more into going off-piste, preferably in forest.

Piggyfish

Postby Piggyfish » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

I only get out 3 or 4 days a season, but I can (usually) ski the double blacks at the local ski mountains (though central Pa probably doesn't compare to New England or the Rockies in terms of difficulty...)

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:02 am UTC

I used to ski blacks, then switched to snowboarding. I ride blue-black here in Utah. Unfortunately, I am moving in a week (to Louisiana) so will probably only get back out here for a few weeks this winter :(

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Skied my whole life, but never more than 3 weeks in a season, more like 1.5 most years. I can do double blacks, but I prefer doing slightly easier runs and messing about. If all goes to plan I'm to the US to ski for the first time early in 2010 :mrgreen:

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:54 am UTC

crowey wrote:Skied my whole life, but never more than 3 weeks in a season, more like 1.5 most years. I can do double blacks, but I prefer doing slightly easier runs and messing about. If all goes to plan I'm to the US to ski for the first time early in 2010 :mrgreen:

Where? I've skied New England, Colorado, and Utah. From my experience (and not like I've skied every resort in those three areas), NE is maybe the most challenging, CO has the longest runs, and UT has the best snow (if you like powder, which I adore).

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 am UTC

Not too sure yet. I'm (hopefully) going to a conference in CA, so I figured I'd just pick somewhere and go from there. I'm not adverse to flying a fair distance within the US to get to the good stuff, especially as I'll be there in March so it's a bit late in the season...
Got to get my boss's OK for the conference before I book anything though :wink:

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

I'm a Ski Tourer/Mountaineer; there's no piste's in wales, and the snowfalls and terrain often cause a crossover with mountaineering skillsets; I have no idea where I would fit in an Alpine/Telemark grading system; maybe I should join the snowsports club rather than cadging ancient skis and skins.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

I voted ski double black >15 days/season at first, but changed to <15 days/season after some thought. I probably don't get that many days anymore, but I certainly used to, back in my competing days. I don't actually know what a double black slope is, but I'm confident I could take one :D
Because phlogiston.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 am UTC

Five year super-necro! I just got to the level where I'm confident in my ability to ski black runs on my last ski trip. I could probably handle double blacks (at least the easier ones), but I've not tried yet. I might have a go next time though.

On my last trip I felt like I could really benefit from another day or two of lessons. I started skiing 3 years ago and had a week of lessons then, but they were group lessons, and a couple of the people in the group had serious confidence issues, so I only just got up to skiing a couple of blues by the end of the week, and was probably still snowplowing a fair bit on turns. I've just been taking it from there myself, and link parallel turns with no trouble now, but I have no idea what my form is like - I feel like my stance is probably too wide some of the time - or what to do to improve, and I'd like to learn to do carving turns properly, and also some of the more technical skill stuff (jump turns, moguls, stuff involving pole planting). Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll be able to find anything other than beginner level English-speaking classes at Korean resorts, and I don't really want to pay a load of money on lessons and then be unable to understand what my instructor is telling me.

defaultusername wrote:I voted ski double black >15 days/season at first, but changed to <15 days/season after some thought. I probably don't get that many days anymore, but I certainly used to, back in my competing days. I don't actually know what a double black slope is, but I'm confident I could take one :D

This thread is using the American rating system, where the grades are green/blue/black/double black, rather than the green/blue/red/black of the European rating system. Black in the American system is roughly equivalent to a European red, and double black is a European black. The way the slopes are rated in each system isn't exactly the same, so the equivalence isn't exact.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:06 am UTC

This is Europe ; alas weather has been very shitty lately, especially on weekends.

Also after your explanation what a double black is, I am probably doing these. But I am more interested in the forest that is right close to it.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:39 am UTC

I've been skiing once, ever, and I was there for a week (five days) on a school trip. It was really enjoyable, and if it wasn't such an effort to get to anywhere that you can actually ski in this country, I'd do it more often. After the time spent there, I was confident enough to ski green runs, and had I been there another day or two I probably would have moved on to a blue. There was a blue run that I wanted to try, but more experienced friends told me that the only way back to the station from the end of that run was a double black (which meant it took them quite a while to get back). Didn't seem to make much sense but I didn't really want to go and check.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:08 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I've been skiing once, ever, and I was there for a week (five days) on a school trip. It was really enjoyable, and if it wasn't such an effort to get to anywhere that you can actually ski in this country, I'd do it more often. After the time spent there, I was confident enough to ski green runs, and had I been there another day or two I probably would have moved on to a blue. There was a blue run that I wanted to try, but more experienced friends told me that the only way back to the station from the end of that run was a double black (which meant it took them quite a while to get back). Didn't seem to make much sense but I didn't really want to go and check.

The resorts I've been have a convention that if the only way on or off an easy run is a black run, they'll rate the run black just to avoid confusion. The place I was skiing last weekend has a short connecting run that is easier than any of the greens at the resort, but is rated black because there are only black runs leading to and from it. I guess that might not apply everywhere, though.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:44 am UTC

I've found a map of the resort I was at, just to check, and I think I've found the section that I'm talking about. There's a double-blue rating between blue and black, for some reason, but looking around a bit, it seems like the ratings that the runs there have been given have been boosted a little bit, so some of the blue runs would be considered green elsewhere. The section I'm talking about did have a blue run to come back, but a lot of the runs were closed when we were there because of unseasonable spring conditions, so maybe only black ones were open at the time. Not sure, really. Looking at it, though, it does seem to be the case that runs will be rated up if they only connect to more difficult runs.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:02 am UTC

Carlington wrote:There was a blue run that I wanted to try, but more experienced friends told me that the only way back to the station from the end of that run was a double black (which meant it took them quite a while to get back). Didn't seem to make much sense but I didn't really want to go and check.

Pretty much like Adacore, I doubt this is true.

Also here, tracks between blue and black are rated red.

(I live like 1h30 from the stations).

7oj0

Postby 7oj0 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:25 am UTC

I am a beginner snowboarder, have done 5 day trips in total and have just made it on to easy blue runs.

I'm thinking of giving skiing a go this season, how many days is generally required before you get to skiing blue runs?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:32 am UTC

7oj0 wrote:I am a beginner snowboarder, have done 5 day trips in total and have just made it on to easy blue runs.

I'm thinking of giving skiing a go this season, how many days is generally required before you get to skiing blue runs?

It really depends how quickly you pick it up, and how difficult the blue runs are, but you can almost certainly go onto blues after 3-4 days. Maybe before that - I know one of my friends started learning on blues, although I wouldn't recommend that. You're a lot more stable and in control with the beginner snowplough position in skiing than you are when you start out snowboarding; as soon as you've learnt the basics you can probably handle any green or blue run so long as you take it slow.

Having said that, some people take a while to pick it up and/or gain confidence. I know my sister stayed on greens for her entire first week skiing.

Return to “Fit Club”