Explosive Power.

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Peanutchair

Explosive Power.

Postby Peanutchair » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

So I've been doing Karate for around 5 years now but have only very recently decided that I now want to get serious. At the moment my technique and kata are all fine, but what I am terrible at is sparring. I'm slow, scared and clumsy.

I'm coming along well with training strength and to combat my fear to getting hit I'm, well, letting myself get hit a lot.

But speedwise I'm really lacking. It's not that I don't have the build for it, in fact my teacher has always told me I'd be more of a speed person than a strength person. It's just that my opponent always sees me coming. Always. It's like I'm really slow off the mark and speed up as I complete the technique. In fact, by the end of the technique it's pretty damn fast, but they're already long gone.

What I'd really like is for my techniques to (within reason), start as fast as they finish. For this to happen I need explosive power, I need really good acceleration.

So, if you're able to help out I'd be incredibly grateful. Exercises, tips, anything. Thanks.
Richard Dawkins was put on this Earth to test our faith. Like fossils... and facts.
-
Stewart Lee.

Mokele

Re: Explosive Power.

Postby Mokele » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:07 am UTC

Technically, speed and strength come together (type 2b muscle fibers) - the tradeoff is these vs stamina (type 1 muscle fibers).

However, I suspect your problem isn't muscular. I've seen the same problem with lots of those new to sparring - you're 'telegraphing', unintentionally moving in such a way that you let your opponent know what's coming.

You need to ask someone what signal it is you're sending - it can be something really obvious from another POV, or really subtle. I remember one greenbelt I taught was tapping his gloves together before every attack, and was completely unaware of this habit. I fell victim to it myself - I once went 5 years without training, during which my hair grew quite long, and when I returned, everyone was anticipating my attacks. At first, I thought I was just rusty, then someone clued me in - my ponytail was amplifying normally subtle head movements, giving away my intentions.

Ask for input - that's what your instructors are there for.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:23 am UTC

You might benefit from some Olympic-style lifts (or their more accessible cousins, the power clean and power snatch). I've dabbled with power cleans, and will probably add some to my regular training at some point. You might also like clapping pushups and similar dynamic bodyweight exercises.

But Mokele might be right. A lot of people who seem fast on the mat are actually not moving all that quickly; they are just thinking ahead. (However, note that I'm mostly a grappler, not a striker; this may not be as accurate in your sport.)

WholeLottaSean

Postby WholeLottaSean » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:41 am UTC

It seems like your reaction speed is lacking. What kind of drills do you do? Because you'd be faster at performing certain techniques in certain situations if that's what you've been practicing, like conditioned reflexes.

Peanutchair

Postby Peanutchair » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:59 am UTC

Mokele wrote:However, I suspect your problem isn't muscular. I've seen the same problem with lots of those new to sparring - you're 'telegraphing', unintentionally moving in such a way that you let your opponent know what's coming.

You make a very good point, I'll definitely look into that. I was always told it was something to do with the eyes, I think it might be that I look down or take a larger breath than usual before I attack. That's very good advice, thanks a lot.

WholeLottaSean wrote:It seems like your reaction speed is lacking. What kind of drills do you do? Because you'd be faster at performing certain techniques in certain situations if that's what you've been practicing, like conditioned reflexes.

My drills consist of just practicing a single move over and over again. Unfortunately I only do karate once a week and because none of my other friends want to get serious about karate (working on this, once I start hitting them more I think that'll change) which means I practice on my own all the time. I probably need more detailed drills.

Nath wrote:You might benefit from some Olympic-style lifts (or their more accessible cousins, the power clean and power snatch). I've dabbled with power cleans, and will probably add some to my regular training at some point. You might also like clapping pushups and similar dynamic bodyweight exercises.

But Mokele might be right. A lot of people who seem fast on the mat are actually not moving all that quickly; they are just thinking ahead. (However, note that I'm mostly a grappler, not a striker; this may not be as accurate in your sport.)

Clapping push-ups are a good idea, I think I'll start doing them more often. I was also recently told about the exercise where you hold a medicine ball, lower yourself all the way the the ground then explode upwards and jump as high as you can, then in the same movement, go back down and repeat. That should help my legs.

I Google'd power cleans and I actually remember seeing a boxer in my gym doing these, so I'll definitely add them to my workout as well. Thanks a lot.
Richard Dawkins was put on this Earth to test our faith. Like fossils... and facts.
-
Stewart Lee.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:06 am UTC

Peanutchair wrote:I Google'd power cleans and I actually remember seeing a boxer in my gym doing these, so I'll definitely add them to my workout as well. Thanks a lot.

If you need to teach yourself the form, the oft-mentioned book Starting Strength covers them in detail. That's where I'm leaning them from.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

http://www.rosstraining.com/

He is pretty cool. But yeah, general increase in muscle will help a lot.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

When you do drills, make sure you are actually hitting something. Punching in the air forces you to practice slowing your strike down, which is something you dont want. You want your punch to be slowed down by someone's throat.

Jonny94

Postby Jonny94 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:20 am UTC

You'll need more fast-twitch muscle thingys then. A good way to get these is to do pull ups, push ups etc (excercises that involve you lifting your whole body weight) as fast as you can. Research the 300 workout on YouTube asn stuff.
You could do this with weights but I know jack about weights lol

Patman

Postby Patman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:52 am UTC

Spar more and more. You will get quicker simply because you start to think about it less.
You might try ginastica natural for combined workout http://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DHDG8HacqGx4&ei=IQnTSuLvHYa0sgPZvq3RCg&usg=AFQjCNGT_duJmKhPMxakG9DEYMZ9_dd2QQ&sig2=hhiTJWA1-4tK0mkmhPxjNA.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:02 pm UTC

The best way to get good at sparring is to do it more. Just keep at it and you will get better.

It's also a good idea to work on some combos. Combos helps you act faster and helps you avoid all that pesky thinking that makes you advertise your moves long before you act on them.

Also, as BlackSails said, make sure you have something to actually hit when you practice combos and drills so you don't get into the habit of holding yourself back.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:
Also, as BlackSails said, make sure you have something to actually hit when you practice combos and drills so you don't get into the habit of holding yourself back.

Seriously. I dont get why people think they will be able to hit things when they rarely, if ever hit things in practice. Its like claiming you are awesome at driving, but you only play mario kart.

Daojia
Location: A vast, desolate and uninhabitable island north of Tasmania

Postby Daojia » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:22 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:

Seriously. I dont get why people think they will be able to hit things when they rarely, if ever hit things in practice. Its like claiming you are awesome at driving, but you only play mario kart.

I see no connection!
Sapere aude.

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

Daojia wrote:
BlackSails wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:

I see no connection!

At a guess: Just because you do well in a simulated envirnoment, deosn't mean you will do well in the real world.
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:12 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:

Seriously. I dont get why people think they will be able to hit things when they rarely, if ever hit things in practice.

I also agree with this, and will add a bit more: When you practice, focus on different things. When I'm practicing alone, I work on technique, specifically making sure my body is aligned precisely for what I want to do and that my muscle memory for certain kicks and hand techniques is strong. I found this is also a good time for me to practice not re-stepping onto my foot when kicking or attacking (a common tell for me, and possibly for others). If I'm working with a partner with a focus pad, I'm focusing on getting power into my moves. If I'm sparring, all I'm worried about is reacting quickly. The idea is practice in one of these areas will build competency in another.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

poohat

Postby poohat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Focus on getting stronger first, theres no point weight training for speed if you cant even bench your body weight. Your max strength is a bottleneck on other types of strength.

If youre slow in fighting then I'd assume thats a technique/mental issue rather than a strength one, but doing some explosive lifts (eg olympics) in addition to general strength training isnt going to hurt.

even better idea: crosstrain in boxing/muaythai and do some proper sparring. Thatll get your reaction speed up faster than anything else.

jera

Postby jera » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

poohat wrote:even better idea: crosstrain in boxing/muaythai and do some proper sparring. Thatll get your reaction speed up faster than anything else.[/b]

Nota Bene. I did Tae Kwon Do for roughly five years. Whilst at college I started training Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jistu and I've found out that all I got from my five years of TKD were a decent cardio work out, a bunch of bad habits(ie not protecting my face), and a black belt that is sitting in a box somewhere in storage.

Especially since your just starting out, make sure you work on technique. Technique is more important than speed. You can't fight if you punch someone wrong and break your hand. Remember, [b]You DO NOT use the same technique for both sparring and kata. In kata everything is supposed to "snap" and look nice, however If you try that whilst sparring you'll most likely end up hyper-extending your knee/elbow.

Also pick up Shadow Boxing. It may seem a little stupid at first, but it helps out alot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJDKUDI0cY just remember to work in kicks.
If you try to fail and succeed, what have you done?

littlebuddy

Postby littlebuddy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:49 am UTC

Old thread but yeah, pick up a book on plyometrics.

Return to “Fit Club”