Cardio Options in an Apartment

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Mega D

Cardio Options in an Apartment

Postby Mega D » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:34 am UTC

This year I've finally managed to make some headway on losing weight by biking pretty regularly since spring. It's now getting too cold for that, and I'm trying to find something I can do in my apartment to replace it. I really don't want to resort to a gym membership because I just don't think I'll stick with it. If I can come up with something I can do at home every day I think I'll be much more likely to keep up with it.

At first I thought I'd get a stationary bike. I don't have a lot of space in my apartment, but I could probably make room for a reasonably small one. However it seems like every bike I research for less that $250 or so, about the limit of what I can spend, is junk. All kinds of reports of things falling apart after a few months, things not fitting together properly in the first place, defective parts, etc. I could possibly spend a little bit more if I knew that it was really high quality, but I can't find anything that instills a great deal of confidence.

It's not like I'm in great shape to begin with. I'm 5' 10" and 235 lbs., so it's not like it needs to be extremely intense for me to get some benefit from it. Another thing I was thinking about is getting a step. While aerobics that involve a lot of jumping around can give me some pain in my hip, I think that's something I could handle.

Any recommendations?

Nath

Re: Cardio Options in an Apartment

Postby Nath » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:39 am UTC

Burpees? There are some suggested programs here.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:03 am UTC

Jump rope? I know you said that it causes pain, but a jump rope is probably the cheapest exercise "equipment" you can own. I got a decent one for $7 at Target.

Personally, I'm suggest Stepmania/Dance Dance Revolution over jump rope. Why not make the jumping and flailing more fun? You can get Stepmania for free, but you'll need to buy your own dance mat. XBox mats already have USB plugs, so just plug it into your computer. When I played a lot, I lost maybe 30lbs after a few months of heavy play. I've been getting back into it recently, as I've been needing to workout-without-feeling-like-it's-a-workout.

Whatever works for you, though. I still think DDR is more fun and effective than jump rope.
...It made more sense in my head.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Burpees? There are some suggested programs here.

Sadist

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:34 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Nath wrote:Burpees? There are some suggested programs here.

Sadist

Pretty high value to sweat ratio, but very mean, and you need a certain level of fitness to get into them. There are plenty of body weight exercises you can do though to get you started, and then you could move onto weights. Any sort of weight training is actually going to be a lot better for your fat loss than you might initially have thought. (Though if you're building muscle as well, scales will not be your best measurement).

When I first started losing weight I was 5'10" and 224lbs. I'm now a steady(ish) 182 and amazingly still 5'10". It can be done, took me about a year with bodyweight exercise, climbing, and swimming.

Recommend you monitor your food as well with something like The Daily Plate- does wonders for making you realise what you eat, and keeps track of your weight for you too.
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

Having done sod all exercise since moving to Germany I have started to notice the effects. Remembering this thread, and realising I have no time really tonight to do anything lengthy, I'm gonna jump straight back in with tabata burpees. Bucket will be kept handy...

If you don't hear from me tomorrow, it's been fun y'all. :)

EDIT: Ow. Today I can feel it, even after only 4 minutes of exercise, and afterwards i felt like I was inhaling fire for a little while. Fun!
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

Shmur

Postby Shmur » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:47 am UTC

You could always get a stationary trainer and hook your bike up to it. You can get a nice one for around 100 bucks. I also rather like the Tony Horton Power 90 program. The power cardio program is nice, and you can go up a few levels to P90X or whatever if you're already good at it.

Drake

Postby Drake » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Shmur wrote:You could always get a stationary trainer and hook your bike up to it. You can get a nice one for around 100 bucks. I also rather like the Tony Horton Power 90 program. The power cardio program is nice, and you can go up a few levels to P90X or whatever if you're already good at it.

I will second the indoor bike (It's what I do when the weather goes south), but I recommend you get a pair of rollers.
I Much prefer rollers over stationary trainers because 1) rollers are much smoother then any stationary trainer 2) because you have to balance yourself on a roller, I find the workout much more engaging and fun. The big downside is you can't step out of your saddle for explosive power training.

A good pair of rollers will cost about $200-250. An O.K. pair will cost about $150.

TGM

Postby TGM » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

I second the idea of either rollers or a stationary bike.

AS far as stationary bikes go, don't worry about programs and whatnot. You can set your own pace according to your heart rate and goals. They're versatile in that you can do endurance training or intervals, they won't bugger your knees, and they won't make noise. Plus you can turn TV time into something useful by exercising while watching it. Hell, you can even read or surf the web if you can mcguyver a stand for your laptop.

Another option might be getting a skipping rope. But that depends on how high your ceiling is and if you make alot of noise your downstairs neighbours might not like it.
- TGM

Return to “Fit Club”