Staying fit in in the winter.

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

CombustibleLemons

Staying fit in in the winter.

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:59 am UTC

So I played soccer this fall and it got me into better shape as well as a better player. Now the season is over and I need a way to stay in shape during the winter. My family has a treadmill but I don't enjoy straight out running. And i will not wrestle and i am terrible at basketball. I've been thinking of when it snows that I could work on some sort of igloo because won't the moving in the snow ad in heavier close burn calorie? Any Suggestions?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Rizzo

Re: Staying fit in in the winter.

Postby Rizzo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

You want to build an igloo to keep in shape? I don't think that'll work...

If you want to stay in good shape, you may want to run outside 2-4 times a week. (I know you said you don't like it, but it can help out a bunch.) Of course, it'll be cold. You could also try to find an indoor sport such as racquetball. Lifting weights and doing pushups, situps, and the like can also help.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Rizzo wrote:You want to build an igloo to keep in shape? I don't think that'll work....

It was a idea.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Mauersegler

Postby Mauersegler » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:37 am UTC

Usually I get even fitter in the winter, since I exercise more often1. I do simple kettlebell drills like the swing, the get-up and the military press. Twice a week 12' swing, twice a week 5 - 10' get-up and if I don't feel like doing the get-up on these days I'll do the military press. Then there's also the pull up bar, which gets used during the day (doing 4 or 5 reps every couple of hours or whenever I feel like it). Anyways, with the bells you don't have to train outside and you don't have to go to a gym. Be warned though: The swing is a litte lot more intense than mere running.

[1] Since it's too cold to play basketball outside
Fix Knee Pain wrote:Never ignore pain.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

There's always weight training.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

If you have a rock climbing gym nearby that's a fun way to keep in shape.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

spudtheimpaler

Postby spudtheimpaler » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

Avelion wrote:If you have a rock climbing gym nearby that's a fun way to keep in shape.

+1... in fact, plus several.
Fueled by tea and bad maths since 1983...

Return to “Fit Club”