Increasing my cycling fittness

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Paranoid__Android

Increasing my cycling fittness

Postby Paranoid__Android » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:55 am UTC

Hey all,
I've just recently joined my university's cycling society. I've found that they're insanely speed obsessed and are riding really expensive road bikes. They go out on 30-40 mile bike rides at 18-20 Mph average.
Here is my problem, I'm on a cheap (although not too slow) second hand hybrid and I intend on keeping up with them- without buying a new bike.

I need a serious training regime.

any Ideas?
The Great Hippo wrote:My dearest, most cherished friend, Paranoid__Android:
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...
Sincerely and with great fondness,
~The Great Hippo

Victoria Maddison

Re: Increasing my cycling fittness

Postby Victoria Maddison » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:16 am UTC

"This study consists of two training experiments using a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. First, the effect of 6 wk of moderate-intensity endurance training (intensity: 70% of maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), 60 min.d-1, 5 d.wk-1) on the anaerobic capacity (the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit) and VO2max was evaluated. After the training, the anaerobic capacity did not increase significantly (P > 0.10), while VO2max increased from 53 +/- 5 ml.kg-1 min-1 to 58 +/- 3 ml.kg-1.min-1 (P < 0.01) (mean +/- SD). Second, to quantify the effect of high-intensity intermittent training on energy release, seven subjects performed an intermittent training exercise 5 d.wk-1 for 6 wk. The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout. After the training period, VO2max increased by 7 ml.kg-1.min-1, while the anaerobic capacity increased by 28%. In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems."

Tabata, Izumi; Nishimura, Kouji; Kouzaki, Motoki; Hirai, Yuusuke; Ogita, Futoshi; Miyachi, Motohiko; Yamamoto, Kaoru, Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-intensity intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Volume 28:10, October 1996, pp1327-1330

"To evaluate the magnitude of the stress on the aerobic and the anaerobic energy release systems during high intensity bicycle training, two commonly used protocols (IE1 and IE2) were examined during bicycling. IE1 consisted of one set of 6-7 bouts of 20-s exercise at an intensity of approximately 170% of the subject's maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) with a 10-s rest between each bout. IE2 involved one set of 4-5 bouts of 30-s exercise at an intensity of approximately 200% of the subject's VO2max and a 2-min rest between each bout. The accumulated oxygen deficit of IE1 (69 +/- 8 ml.kg-1, mean +/- SD) was significantly higher than that of IE2 (46 +/- 12 ml.kg-1, N = 9, p < 0.01). The accumulated oxygen deficit of IE1 was not significantly different from the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (the anaerobic capacity) of the subjects (69 +/- 10 ml.kg-1), whereas the corresponding value for IE2 was less than the subjects' maximal accumulated oxygen deficit (P < 0.01). The peak oxygen uptake during the last 10 s of the IE1 (55 +/- 6 ml.kg-1.min-1) was not significantly less than the VO2max of the subjects (57 +/- 6 ml.kg-1.min-1). The peak oxygen uptake during the last 10 s of IE2 (47 +/- 8 ml.kg-1.min-1) was lower than the VO2max (P < 0.01). In conclusion, this study showed that intermittent exercise defined by the IE1 protocol may tax both the anaerobic and aerobic energy releasing systems almost maximally."

Tabata, Izumi; Irisawa, Kouichi; Kouzaki, Motoki; Nishimura, Kouji; Ogita, Futoshi; Miyachi, Motohiko, Metabolic profile of high intensity intermittent exercises, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Volume 29:3, March 1997, pp390-395

TL;DR Dr Izumi Tabata et al. found a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity and a 14% increase in VO2max after 6 weeks of training in already physically fit athletes by using a program of 7-8 sets of 20 second max effort work with 10 second rest periods, training 5 days per week. The results were better than both traditional "cardio" and traditional interval training at improving aerobic and anaerobic capacity. Think about how you might apply these principles to your own training.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:17 am UTC

Warning: Tabatas may well make you puke.

akashra

Postby akashra » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:20 am UTC

Isn't that their sole aim? :)

But no, seriously, Tabatas (or any form of intervals really) will increase your VO2max by a significant amount in the shortest possible time. Raw strength and force takes longer though, as you need to actually develop muscle.

If you want me to run thought dozens of potential workouts, shout out.
Alternatively, buy 'The Cyclists Training Bible' by Joe Friel.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Well, I can get to the desired speeds on my bike fairly easily but just maintaining them for one and a half to two hours is, currently impossible for me.

so yeah, what kind of exercises would be involved? I looked up Tabatas online but it's hard to filter through all the irrelevant stuff :|

also another thing is I believe my body fat percentage is higher than ideal, so exercises related to that would be useful.
~The Great Hippo

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

Well, since you're biking, I would do biking tabatas. You could also consider rowing, because that is a fantastic work-out. Just go absolutely flat-out for 20 seconds, rest for 10, and repeat 8 times (much harder than it sounds). You can do most any exercise, including weights as long as they are light (eg a 65 lb front squat or kettlebell swings).

There are no exercises related to body fat that I know of. In fact, it doesn't matter what exercise you do to burn fat- all that matters is that you are using more calories than you are consuming.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:50 am UTC

Cheers, I'll be trying some of these out, it looks like it's gonna be pretty tough :D
~The Great Hippo

akashra

Postby akashra » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:32 am UTC

Tabata intervals are a bit different than regular intervals.

A standard set of Tabatas is a 4 minute workout. It consists of 20 seconds all-out, and 10 second rest, repeated 8 times. Make sure you do this on a long section of road with no traffic lights, or a nice long hill. Gearing is irrelevant, as is pacing - which is what makes it unlike most intervals.

Normal intervals people do wrong in the following way:
Lets say you're doing a set of 1 minute intervals - 1 minute on, 1 minute off, 5 reps.
What they might do it at the start, they just go all out. And they keep going 'all out' until the end of that minute, at which point they're pretty chuffed and only putting out maybe half the power they started at. Then they rest for 1 minute, doing practically nothing until they hear the next beep. By the fifth interval, they're putting out far less power than on that first interval.

Here's how you're supposed to do it.
Rather than going out at 800W and dropping to 300W at the end of the minute, and by the last rep going from 650W to 250W, we go out at 580W. And we hold 500W for that whole minute. Then when our device tells us the minute is up, we spin *at a set output*. We don't just rest. So it might be say 200W. I'm picking the figures I use, by the way.
Most people won't have an (expensive) power meter, so you use heart rate zones instead. So you'll try to sit at, say,. 94%HRmax on, and 75%HRmax off. Not dropping to 60% just as you're about ready for the next rep.

Some of the workouts I use for intervals are:
- Tabatas. As described.
- 10m Warmup + 5x(3on/3off)+5m-rest+5x(2on/2off)+5m-rest+5x(1on/1off)+15m cooldown.
- Force training: CP0.2 - ie, 12 seconds at the highest output you can do, 8 times, once every 3 minutes.
- MAP test: A ramped test starting at say 100W, increasing by 5W every 12 seconds until you can no longer continue. This is the standard procedure for a VO2max test, but also you can't really do it without a power meter or ergo.
- Sprint training: Every 5 minutes, an all-out sprint held for at least 30 seconds.
- Sprint training/fast starts/force: From a dead stop, or from a rolling start, get to the highest output/speed you can within 12 full pedal strokes. For real sprint training, do so without changing gears.
I can suggest a ton more, but these are good, quick and simple ones to start out with.

As for body fat, don't worry, I'm not exactly in the low figures at 14.5%. Probably why I'm good at enduro racing though having such a high BF%.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

TGM

Postby TGM » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:16 am UTC

A while ago I built up a massive endurance by simply cycling alot everyday. I started out simple, 30 minutes at a reasonable pace every other day. By the end of the year I was doing 80 mins a day every day without soreness and without being tired at the end. Would have gone longer each day but just didn't have the time. Progress was consistent and slow, and in the end I had great endurance.

But, I would have been slow in sprints compared to the type of guys you're riding with. I don't think you should do what I did, it's probably not the kind of fitness you want. Intervals sounds like the way to go.
- TGM

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

Awesome, some great ideas there, another question...I do my workout's in my room at 3 in the morning just before I go to sleep, is this not ideal?
~The Great Hippo

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Uh.... very much not ideal. First, you're probably not getting enough sleep which will destroy your ability to make significant progress, and second you're probably too tired to work at maximum effort, which again hampers progress.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

hmm, a change in my daily schedule is in order then :|

pity
~The Great Hippo

ian

Postby ian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:35 am UTC

Bit off topic, but do you know any great places to cycle around nottingham (west of the city centre would be preferable)? I'd be more into trails/off road than roads.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

No, not really. There are a few parks about but i haven't really investigated anything. I only really cycle to get around these days.

EDIT: really random question... are you studying physics at nottingham and is your last name Clough?
~The Great Hippo

ian

Postby ian » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:52 am UTC

Paranoid__Android wrote:No, not really. There are a few parks about but i haven't really investigated anything. I only really cycle to get around these days.

EDIT: really random question... are you studying physics at nottingham and is your last name Clough?

Yes, no, no. I'm studying physics at trent.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:53 pm UTC

Ah, I thought you were someone else (obvious).
My reasoning was there couldn't be that many people who are called Ian, who like xkcd, in the city of Nottingham, studying second year physics...
~The Great Hippo

Return to “Fit Club”