Eat Right 4 Your Type

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

mieulium

Eat Right 4 Your Type

Postby mieulium » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 am UTC

Hi there, recently I have been introduced to this book, which talks about eating for your blood type. I was wondering if there is anyone trying out this diet? I have been avoiding the type of foods stated in this book and I did feel better (my body does not feel as fatigued as before), but I haven't been trying out this diet long enough, so I do not know whether it is really effective.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Fume Troll

Re: Eat Right 4 Your Type

Postby Fume Troll » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 am UTC

There doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence supporting the claims of the author, and the diet has been quite widely criticised: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet

It may well be that avoiding certain foods works for you, or perhaps just the fact that you are now more focussed on your diet and eating more healthily in general is having a beneficial effect.

I'm quite skeptical of the idea that everyone would fit into one of four "buckets" as regards diet, and there's no evidence that blood group is related in this way (and D'Adamo provides no evidence, reasoning or process for reaching this conclusion).

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:17 pm UTC

If you have to ask if a certain diet sounds like it might work, the answer is a resounding NO.

The only diet that works is eating less. There are ways to manipulate your food intake to help you feel fuller so that you don't want to eat more, and some people believe in insulin sensitivity but the research on that isn't clear, but overall, no fad diet works in any way other than reducing your total caloric intake.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:36 am UTC

Yeah, there's no reason that blood type would have any influence on the metabolism. It's just a marker on the surface of your blood cells that helps to differentiate between you and not you. He claims that some sugar binding proteins have an effect on your blood based on blood type (which is dubious), and then starts drawing wild conclusions from geographic nutritional sterotypes. It's garbage, and he makes a number of patently wrong claims, at least according to the wikipedia page. For example, in reality, a pure-bred A parent and a pure-bred B parent will produce entirely AB children. Therefore, the AB phenotype must be nearly as old as the younger of the A and B phenotypes, since it would appear as soon as parents with the different genes mated. Furthermore, lectins aren't even found in noticeable concentrations in animal foods.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Return to “Fit Club”