3 Month Diet/Exercise Plan (need advice)

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

cyberblade

3 Month Diet/Exercise Plan (need advice)

Postby cyberblade » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 am UTC

Bit of a lengthy post here-but hopefully it will cover most of the pertinent information.

When I finished high school (a few years ago) I was 6', 170 lbs, and about 8% body fat. Now I've been sitting behind a desk for a few years, and I'm 235 lbs, and I don't want to know what percentage of that is fat.

My cholesterol is a little high, there's some family history of heart disease, and most of all I hate looking like this and getting tired so easily. It needs to end. I need to really put forth the effort, and accomplish something. Couple that with the fact that I have a family reunion and plans to meet up with high school classmates this summer, and I need to do something now. That gives me 3 months for this part, after which I plan to re-evaluate, and set new goals for myself for the rest of the year-but for now I'm focused on the next three months.

I don't know what, if anything, is realistic as far as weight loss-30 lbs or so would be nice in 3 months-but I'm more concerned about losing my stomach and maybe gaining a little muscle definition in my arms (I don't know if that's even possible in this time frame though).

The biggest problems I have are these:

I love food... I really, really, love food-I know it's a simple chemical high I get from it, but it is so very satisfying. Drive thru's and restaurants, just between my home and work continually draw me in. The only way I can think of combating this currently is to not take my wallet, just my driver's license when I'm going to work. I'm also an emotional eater, and this is it's own struggle that I lose to regularly.

I hate exercising. Now, I love sports or the like-but running or ellipticals or whatnot, I hate. Mindless and boring and painful. Even when coupled with an mp3 player I can't stand it. I've had gym memberships in the past, but I rarely used them because I really don't like exercising. I haven't been able to find any sports in the area that I could be a part of (namely volleyball, tennis or roller hockey). Also, I get tired very easily, because I'm fat and out of shape.

My diet isn't very good. Aside from the times when I'll indulge in 5000 calories of take out, or the "2 medium pizzas for $10" special (damn tv ad's) or whatnot, I don't eat very healthfully. My cravings are almost entirely starchy-I eat lots of potatos, pasta, rice and ramen. Beyond that I'll eat beans and lentils or such. Don't get me wrong-I love vegetables, but I'm lazy, and I can make quick, cheap, one meal dishes with all of the above that don't involve much preparation time.

My sleep pattern/schedule/etc is weird. Yes, my work hours are standard-but I'll often not sleep one or two nights a week, followed by sleeping 15+hours the next day, or sleeping during the day over the weekend, etc. I don't know if this affects my weight, but it probably does. Common caffeine supplements are the low cal Monster, and the Stacker 3 diet pills (never noticed any "diet" effect, I just use them for the cheap caffeine). Even with standard work hours, most days I work straight through lunch-I rarely eat between breakfast and supper, unless it's going out for lunch somewhere.

My current stats:, I'm a 23 year old male, 6 foot flat, 235 lbs, and my stomach and chest are 45 inches around. For those with a proper measurement system that's 183 cm, 107 kg, and 114 cm.

My current "plan" involve large amounts of instant oatmeal, leaving my wallet at home, trying to do something with these 10 lb dumbells gathering dust in the corner, and maybe taking long walks when I'm not too lazy to leave my laptop and television.

As you can see, that leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, the only really good thing I have going for me right now is that I usually drink 1-2 gallons of water a day.

For the next three months I don't care much for sustainability or healthiness, as long as it doesn't affect my mental capacity too much.

Anyways, if you've read all of this-thanks. I really need some advice, and I could really use some support as well. Thank you.

Grop

Re: 3 Month Diet/Exercise Plan (need advice)

Postby Grop » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

Hello, you pointed at many things that could be changed : have some physical activity, sleep more regularly (because if you lack energy, it may well be related), have a more healthy diet, etc. Having long walks would be a good idea indeed. Maybe find some hiking buddies?

Re: veggies - note you may cook for several meals at once. Also you may order them at the restaurant instead of the usual pastas/rice/potatoes.

Regarding your diet, I would try to find something sustainable in the long run, especially if you are into eating more when you feel depressed.

(I follow a low-carb diet myself, as described at Mark's Daily Apple. It works well for me, but it is extremely far from your habits).

caje

Postby caje » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:08 am UTC

I hate exercising. Now, I love sports or the like-but running or ellipticals or whatnot, I hate. Mindless and boring and painful.

That's because Drudging out long bouts of running, ellipticals, stationary-bikes ARE mindless an boring. Pick up Starting Strength and do barbell training, the liner progression will mean you will see results every work out and that is super motivating, and if you are like me at all when you are working out hard you will want to eat healthier as to not "waste" the workout. As for cardio do high intensity for a short period, rest a little and repeat. Such as running sprints or sprints on an indoor rower for 20 seconds to 1 minute, rest for 10 seconds to 2 min and sprint again, do that 4-10 times. (sprints being as fast as you can go, doesn't matter how fast that is)

As for diet instant oatmeal is junk, just better junk then fast-food. I am with grop about low carb (excluding vegetables, eat as much freakin' vegetables as you want, no corn and potatoes are NOT vegetables, cut down wheat, rice, corn, potatoes and beans as much as possible. Fruit while normally being good, is not so much if you are trying to lose weight and fast don't eat much of that either, but if it's between fruit and the other carbs, eat fruit and or sweet potatoes (not regular ones mind you) and yams, but still try to keep the amount of calories of these down below 200 a day. (the lower the better) Also because of your weight loss goals and time frame no nuts either.

Vegetables are low prep time, cut, eat.
Cook two days worth of meat at one time. If you have the cash go for grass-fed beef over regular.
Or you can buy a rotisserie chicken or two, cut up some veggies or throw a little bit of sweet potato in the microwave for 4-5 min.
Skip the lunch if you need to skip it, do not go to a restaurant. Bring in some veggies, a can of tuna or hard boiled eggs (if you can get away with the smell). Or some chicken/beef and just eat it cold.

A nice typical lunch skipping day might look like this:
Breakfast: One whole rotisserie chicken, random veggies.
Dinner: .75 - 1 pound of some sort of beef (hopefully grass-fed) more veggies.

Your food addiction will be VERY hard to break and it will suck a lot, but if you can do it the results will come. The first few weeks don't be afraid to eat a large amount of meat and veggies. Your addiction will make this diet nearly impossible if you start by restricting calories and throwing out all those foods that make you feel warm and fuzzy such as bread, pasta, pizza, etc. If you are feeling hunger for starches shove chicken/beef down your throat.

DO NOT TAKE ANY caffeine after lunch, get your sleep straightened out, it is definitely affecting your weight and your long term survivability and not in a good way.
GET YOUR SLEEP STRAIGHTENED OUT!!
ohh and
Last edited by caje on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:53 am UTC

caje wrote:A nice typical lunch skipping day might look like this:
Breakfast: One whole rotisserie chicken, random veggies.
Dinner: .75 - 1 pound of some sort of beef (hopefully grass-fed) more veggies.

One whole chicken and almost one pound of beef in a day? I take it to imply OP actually gets seriously into Starting Strength, because I think this is too much for a low activity life.

Otherwise I agree with what you said, except that I wouldn't skip the nuts, and that some veggies actually need some cooking.

(Also I suspect all these changes at once may be too radical for him).

caje

Postby caje » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

Compared to what he normally eats (5000 calories of crap) it will be almost nothing. It will be very hard to make all these changes, this is much more of a what he should shoot for kind of list. I said skip nuts because they are so easy to gorge on by accident. You are right some veggies should be cooked, what I meant is there are a lot of plug and play ones like spinach, celery, carrots that he can make into an ultra fast meal.

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

Thanks for the replies.

First, here's how my week has been so far-then I have more questions.

I've eaten breakfast every day-this has been a block of tofu and a whole onion chopped up and fried (less than a teaspoon of vegetable oil) with garlic salt and mckay's chicken seasoning for flavoring and a bowl of instant flavored oatmeal (two packets worth).

During the day I've had a container of Wild Harvest Organic Mixed Greens and Spinach salad, with fat free ranch or rasberry walnut vinaigrette. I need to start making my own salads, and probably throw in cooked eggwhites or such into it, but I've been lazy and prepackaged things are so handy to take to the office. Also, a PB&J (low calorie bread, not spread thickly) most days, as it's something that can sit in my office drawer-again, something I'll replace once I finish this loaf.

Supper has varied between sandwiches with homemade pesto spread and vege-meat and light broth soups, also had a bit of spinach one night (cooked, lemon juice and salt for flavoring) and a 32oz container of cottage cheese eaten up across 3 nights.

Wow, I haven't spent so much time cooking in many years... I know there's a long way to go still, but I am already starting to feel a bit better. I have plans to go shopping this weekend for lots of veggies-steamed broccoli or the like makes a great cold snack, and something I could hopefully replace the pb&j with. Right now I'm sort of trying to healthfully eat up what I have in my cupboards, which still includes a 10lb bag of basmati rice and several boxes of pasta which I probably should ignore all of, and a couple pounds of lentils and beans, which hopefully should be ok in small portions?

As you've no doubt noted, there's no meat in my diet right now. I'm not a vegetarian, but aside from frying a hotdog or grilling a sausage, I don't cook meat. Also, I really would prefer to avoid meat overall if possible. The healthiest I ever was, and best I ever felt was actually the 2 years I was on a vegan, no sugar diet (just diet, not the political vegan stuff). Usually a combination of tofu and legumes has always been enough as far as protein-though now that I think about it I also have a whey protein supplement thing tucked away somewhere.

Also, I've played tennis once, for an hour and a half or so-and am still sore two days later, even though it was really very mild (and I'm not very good). I've also been using my two 10 minute breaks during the work day to walk outside. Again, not much, but it's a start. Two days I've also done 40 situps (2x20 reps). Not much, but enough to leave me sore.

Now, on to your responses:

Starting strength. I looked it up online, and it seems like it's very thorough. It also is obvious that I'd need to get a gym membership to have it be of any use to me. This is doable I guess, and presumably any gym would have standard barbells? I've never used barbells before. From my brief look at the website I didn't notice anything about how long you'd spend on it every day. And, presumably, this is an every day type of thing? Is it easy enough that I can pick it up on my own without needing help to understand stuff, or being laughed at for bad form in the gym? Since I'm already looking at a gym membership it seems, would any of the "classes" offered be an ok substitute for the sprint type aerobic exercise? I don't know of anywhere I could sprint, unless sidewalks near my apartment would work. I guess I should make sure that the gym has an indoor rower as well?

Previously I've done thing like half an hour on an elliptical or treadmill, which were boring, hurt my feet, and seems to have been a waste anyways.

I appreciate the advice regarding my food addiction. It's what I'm trying to do right now I guess, which is eat only slightly less, but significantly healthier, until it starts to fade. I've been using a large bowl of broth to try and quench the cravings currently-the chicken and beef would work as well I guess, I've never actually had either in my fridge before, is there any vege substitute besides tofu that I should look at?

I've done a bit more research on my sleep issues. It seems that my problem is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sl ... e_syndrome I'm going to try taking melatonin this weekend and see if it helps at all (I didn't want to experiment with anything like that during the work-week). If not I'll try and talk to my doctor about it-it's something that never came up before, as I'd always thought I was just a bit weird.

I will try and cut down on my caffeine intake-though that limits my tea drinking... I don't do it regularly, but I love a good tea with milk and sugar (not the refined sugar though). I guess the tea will keep though.

Hiking buddies would be nice indeed. Since I moved for my current job I really haven't gotten out much... Or at all really. Meh, craigslist here I come I guess.

Supposedly I'm down a couple pounds already, but I know it fluctuates a lot (especially given I drink a couple gallons of water a day), so really I was thinking that if I weigh myself 3 days in a row every two weeks, and average that, it would be roughly correct? (weigh in before breakfast of course).

Thanks again for everything, and any more advice is definitely welcome. Especially if I really have to look at learning how to cook meat.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

cyberblade wrote:I've eaten breakfast every day-this has been a block of tofu and a whole onion chopped up and fried (less than a teaspoon of vegetable oil) with garlic salt and mckay's chicken seasoning for flavoring and a bowl of instant flavored oatmeal (two packets worth).

There's some evidence that eating large amounts of tofu on a regular basis is not a great idea, particularly for men.

cyberblade wrote:Starting strength. I looked it up online, and it seems like it's very thorough. It also is obvious that I'd need to get a gym membership to have it be of any use to me. This is doable I guess, and presumably any gym would have standard barbells? I've never used barbells before. From my brief look at the website I didn't notice anything about how long you'd spend on it every day. And, presumably, this is an every day type of thing? Is it easy enough that I can pick it up on my own without needing help to understand stuff, or being laughed at for bad form in the gym? Since I'm already looking at a gym membership it seems, would any of the "classes" offered be an ok substitute for the sprint type aerobic exercise? I don't know of anywhere I could sprint, unless sidewalks near my apartment would work. I guess I should make sure that the gym has an indoor rower as well?

Not all gyms have suitable barbells and a squat rack, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one that does. The book describes what to look for in your equipment. This is a three day a week workout, and should take less than an hour in the beginning (though this will increase as the weights get heavier). Once you've read the book, your form will be much better than most people in your gym. And besides, I've never seen anybody get laughed at in the gym, for form or any other reason.

cyberblade wrote:Thanks again for everything, and any more advice is definitely welcome. Especially if I really have to look at learning how to cook meat.

Braise.

cyberblade

Postby cyberblade » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 am UTC

Nath wrote:There's some evidence that eating large amounts of tofu on a regular basis is not a great idea, particularly for men.

Good to note. Is there any issue with getting protein from the whey protein supplement stuff? I can cut back on tofu, and eat more veggies-just want to keep up the protein.

Nath wrote:Not all gyms have suitable barbells and a squat rack, but it shouldn't be too hard to find one that does. The book describes what to look for in your equipment. This is a three day a week workout, and should take less than an hour in the beginning (though this will increase as the weights get heavier). Once you've read the book, your form will be much better than most people in your gym. And besides, I've never seen anybody get laughed at in the gym, for form or any other reason.

Ok. 30 bucks for an excercise book is a bit steep, but it seems decent. I've started reading this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Would that be enough of a starting point? I could buy the book, but I'm a bit of a cheap bastard.

Nath wrote:Braise.
Hmm. Seems interesting. I guess I can learn to cook meat if I have to. As I noted though, if I can get my protein through legumes, tofu and the like I'd be much happier. Is that just not feasible?

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:45 am UTC

cyberblade wrote:Good to note. Is there any issue with getting protein from the whey protein supplement stuff? I can cut back on tofu, and eat more veggies-just want to keep up the protein.

I'm not aware of any problems with whey. It's just milk protein, basically.

cyberblade wrote:Ok. 30 bucks for an excercise book is a bit steep, but it seems decent. I've started reading this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Would that be enough of a starting point? I could buy the book, but I'm a bit of a cheap bastard.

I'd highly recommend the book. $30 is a bargain, considering how much you'd pay a trainer to give you much worse advice. Knowing good form will let you get more out of the program, and reduce your chances of hurting yourself. That thread is an OK summary, but there really is more to it than that. (I am also a cheap bastard, and I was skeptical about getting a whole book to learn just five exercises, but it's actually pretty densely packed with useful information. And it's pretty light reading.)

cyberblade wrote:Hmm. Seems interesting. I guess I can learn to cook meat if I have to. As I noted though, if I can get my protein through legumes, tofu and the like I'd be much happier. Is that just not feasible?

People do. It's harder. No point making things harder than they need to be.

Cooking meat isn't rocket science. I do it, and I can barely make tea.

caje

Postby caje » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:23 am UTC

Pitch for the book, it has 70 pages on just the squat, filled with pictures and very useful information. And like was said, is MUCH cheaper then any personal trainer. You can do sprints anywhere you can run, find a park nearby? An indoor rower would be a very big plus but not completely necessary. You could also jack the speed up on a treadmill to where it's hard for about a minute then hop off , but this has some safety issues and will never truly be a sprint.

As for getting in protein. Legumes and soy both have serious problems especially when ate in mass. I noticed you said you felt healthiest on a vegan no sugar diet, I would bet most if not all the reason you felt good was the no sugar part. Get a crock pot and it is impossible to screw up meat (though it can come out bland), though grilling does taste better. I would highly, highly, highly suggest you replace soy and legumes with meat, but chose cooked legumes http://www.westonaprice.org/Putting-the ... Beans.html (guide to cooking beans) over soy. No problem with whey besides the cost. Also if you are not going to eat meat then ignore what I said about nuts and add them in for protein.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:51 am UTC

Few suggestions to add to the mix...

Check out exrx.net - it's always been the most reasonable source of information I've found, and tackles a lot of the myths that you might pick up from the general public. There are recommendations for training schedules, and pages for all the exercises, with descriptions of how to do the exercise, animated demos, and lots more. There's a forum there as well.

Any gym I've gone to has offered a consultation with one of their trainers when you first sign up - I've never actually used it, but they'll set you up with a basic program and if you have any concerns about doing an exercise or using equipment, they'll show you the proper way.

Also, you should not be skipping meals - eating three times a day is a minimum. Might sound counter-intuitive, but the more small meals you eat, the less hungry you're going to get, and the less you're going to gorge yourself when you do eat. On top of that, it's much easier on your digestive system, so you can actually benefit from the food you're eating.

Here's my daily diet, if you're worried about eating healthy being complicated or time consuming - oatmeal in the morning (not those instant packages, just regular instant oats, add raisens, almonds, flax, and some brown sugar), takes thirty seconds to mix up once the water boils. I don't leave time in the morning to make lunch, so I have a bag of bagels, a package of sliced ham, sliced swiss cheese, and mustard in the fridge at the office. It takes about two minutes to make up a sandwich, and I'll usually eat two a day - it takes about ten times longer to go to Subway a block away, but about a tenth of the price. I also have apples, etc if want something else. Eating two mini-lunches means I'm not dying when I get home from work - that reduces the temptation to just chuck a pizza in the oven. I can rest a bit, then take some time to make an actual dinner later in the evening.

I second the slow-cooker idea - making stew is really easy. My grocery store even sells "stew packs" of vegetables, just cut it all up, throw it in the slow cooker with beef broth and a few spices. The trick is to brown the stew beef really well over med-high heat before adding it to the slow cooker - it adds all the flavour and you won't end up with bland watery stew.

Don't get too worked up about protein, though - you don't need as much as you might think.
I don't know what to do for you

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:40 pm UTC

Don't get too worked up about protein, though - you don't need as much as you might think.

Hey! We don't take kindly to that kinda talk round here.

WholeLottaSean

Postby WholeLottaSean » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:25 pm UTC

cyberblade wrote:Starting strength. I looked it up online, and it seems like it's very thorough. It also is obvious that I'd need to get a gym membership to have it be of any use to me. This is doable I guess, and presumably any gym would have standard barbells? I've never used barbells before. From my brief look at the website I didn't notice anything about how long you'd spend on it every day. And, presumably, this is an every day type of thing? Is it easy enough that I can pick it up on my own without needing help to understand stuff, or being laughed at for bad form in the gym?

Not all gyms even let you use chalk, make sure you read the book as it lets you know what to look for in a good gym. No one will ever laugh at you for using bad form, and people laughing is the least of your worries if you are using bad form. It really is worth getting the book, I've bought it recently and it is great to consult about any form issues. You shouldn't do it everyday, just 3 days a week.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

shocklocks wrote:

Well, keep in mind that comment was made in light of a recommendation to eat a chicken for breakfast, and a pound of beef for dinner. That's asinine!

I don't know if the US has an equivalent to Canada's Food Guide, but just the pound of meat is more than twice the daily recommended intake for an adult man.
I don't know what to do for you

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

The recommended daily intake of protein is WAY too low for anyone engaging in competitive sports, ESPECIALLY weight training. Hell, it's lower than it needs to be for anyone unless they have kidney disease. People trying to lose weight and active people, especially weightifters ('cause you're building more muscle than runners) should both be eating way, way more protein than the guidelines recommend. 1 gram per lb lean body mass, minimum. 150 g a day, minimum, for most males.

I don't have a chicken for breakfast, but I have 3 eggs and a big glass of milk. I drink over a litre of milk a day. I have 2 protein shakes and a can of tuna. I also try to eat a pound of meat for dinner. And that's still not enough.

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

I hate exercising. Now, I love sports or the like-but running or ellipticals or whatnot, I hate. Mindless and boring and painful. Even when coupled with an mp3 player I can't stand it. I've had gym memberships in the past, but I rarely used them because I really don't like exercising. I haven't been able to find any sports in the area that I could be a part of (namely volleyball, tennis or roller hockey). Also, I get tired very easily, because I'm fat and out of shape.

This, fortunately, is not a problem. Steady state aerobic exercise probably does more harm than good anyway. Obviously, stop if you feel like you're dying, but try running a tabata interval. 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest, repeat 6-8 times. If that's too much at first, start by doing 10 seconds work, 20 seconds rest 6 times, work up to 8, then run 15 seconds work 15 seconds rest, work up to 8 repetitions, then start on real tabata intervals.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

caje

Postby caje » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:39 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:
shocklocks wrote:

Well, keep in mind that comment was made in light of a recommendation to eat a chicken for breakfast, and a pound of beef for dinner. That's asinine!

I don't know if the US has an equivalent to Canada's Food Guide, but just the pound of meat is more than twice the daily recommended intake for an adult man.

We do and it is complete garbage. I also suggest the meat to make sure he is getting enough fat and getting enough other food besides stuff made from wheat, corn, rice, white potatoes and sugar.

Also eating that much protein (and fat) will (if you are not eating processed garbage) help keep the carb intake town.

Also the bare minimum someone NEEDS to live has nothing to do with what is useful for this guys goals.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

Just some general notes from my experience:

1) Cut out as many starchy white foods as you can. Replace white bread with whole grain, white potatoes with sweet potatoes, white rice with brown rice, etc. White starches tend to be higher on the Glycemic Index than the less processed ones, and high GI foods cause large spikes and dips in blood sugar. Whole grains are also much higher in fiber, making you feel full longer, and easing digestive problems.

2) Eat soybeans carefully. They contain a lot of plant estrogen, and estrogen helps pack on fat. Don't cut it completely out of your diet, but be careful with them.

3) Make portioned meals and graze throughout the day. You can cook a week's worth of food in an afternoon, and divvy it up between containers. Get a salad spinner and make one huge salad, then eat it in small portions. Also graze on high protein things like pre-portioned nuts, part-skim string cheese, a homemade protein shake, or a cup of all-natural yogurt. Besides at least one high protein snack, have at least one high fiber snack, like pre-sliced veggies, a piece of fruit, or some no sugar added granola.

4) In general, the less processed something is, the better it is for you, and the better it tastes. If you love eating out, try ethnic cuisines like Ethiopian, Middle Eastern, Thai, or Vietnamese. Eat Chinese or Italian only if it's an authentic restaurant, not one that slathers everything in sugar sauce. High fructose corn syrup is bad - avoid it when you can.

5) Join a fitness class of some kind or sign up for a half-marathon. It was hard for me to stay active until I took up fencing and belly dance, and now that I enjoy what I'm doing, I'm a lot more active. I've also started doing ballet exercises while I wash dishes. I also have a good library of workout DVDs. I can go at my own pace and vary my routines based on what I'm in the mood for.

6) Don't expect the weight to melt off. You didn't gain it all in one day, and you're not going to lose it that fast either.

waltwhitmanheadedbat

Postby waltwhitmanheadedbat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:07 am UTC

Kendo_Bunny wrote:Just some general notes from my experience:

1) Cut out as many starchy white foods as you can. Replace white bread with whole grain, white potatoes with sweet potatoes, white rice with brown rice, etc. White starches tend to be higher on the Glycemic Index than the less processed ones, and high GI foods cause large spikes and dips in blood sugar. Whole grains are also much higher in fiber, making you feel full longer, and easing digestive problems.

Less processed grains tend to be higher on the glycemic index than the more processed ones by virtue of containing things like - in the case of wheat - germ and bran. While this is a positive replacement, why not just cut them out altogether? The source of energy in whole grains is still starch, and I would think that having a significant amount in his diet would work against him if he's trying to control cravings for it.

Kendo_Bunny

Postby Kendo_Bunny » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

I didn't think the OP sounded ready to drop all starches, particularly if he's planning on following a vegetarian diet.

dustin1br

Postby dustin1br » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

have you looked into the p90x workout and diet plan? It does a good job with moderating carbs, upping and protein intake, and bringing carbs back in. I suggest at your level that you start with phase two diet plan and do it for two phases, then phase three along with phase 1,2,3 or the workout plan. The workout plan is great...I am about the same body type as you and it has done wonders for me.

Return to “Fit Club”