Being sick & cant eat to then hungry...how best to eat?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Being sick & cant eat to then hungry...how best to eat?

Postby Sungura » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Okay so I've had this problem for about a month now, and despite my science background I know very little about situations like this. Basically, I'm having a migraine attack (yes I am working with a doc on getting it under control, yay for an advisor who is also head of pain clinic and a neurologist, makes it easy!) for the last month-ish and there will be 4-7 days in a row where I just can't really eat or keep things down - I try to at least keep up fluid intake and eat simple things like granola bars and the like when I can. But then I'll get 6-12 hrs or so when I'm not feeling so terrible, and I will be soooooooo hungry then, and I'll eat like 2-3 meals in that time frame, only to then be too migraine sick to stomach much for another few days.

Would it be best to keep doing that? Body is hungry as I haven't fed it in so long, after all. Or would it be better to eat more but still be slow on my system for those few good hours I have? I really have no clue.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Nath

Re: Being sick & cant eat to then hungry...how best to eat?

Postby Nath » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:00 am UTC

How do you feel about liquid calories? Milk, soups and such.

Why does the migraine make it hard to eat? Nausea? The standard sick people dishes seem well suited to this sort of thing; every cuisine has a few. Avgolemono, chicken soup, khichdi, congee etc.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:04 am UTC

Yeah nausia. And just general not-hungryness. And I'm trying to work out meds right now, and sometimes that is a factor in queezyness. I hadn't thought of soup. So far just blan things are the best - saltine crackers and the like.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Lidwiz

Postby Lidwiz » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:11 am UTC

Some foods can trigger migraines. Ask you doctor about that if you haven't already. If you can stomach liquids but not solids while you are ill, you could try slowly working on smoothies and protein shakes. That way you will at least be getting more nutrients.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:21 am UTC

That's rough. I've had a couple of migraines recently, but they've been short and not the painful kind. Just visual effects and the need to lie down for an hour RIGHT NOW.

If you can do liquids, try a meal replacement drink from the drugstore ("with extra calories" if you can find them). They're kinda gross and not good for anything long term, but they can tide you over in a pinch. They have carbs, fats, protein, and vitamins/minerals. No fibre, no micronutrients, and not much else to recommend them besides convenience. I used them during a five-day trip away from home when regular meals weren't guaranteed and I was worried about blood sugar.

If you can manage it, though, you're probably better off making your own soups. Blended cooked rice with bland veggies and beans, sort of a congee, would maybe work. The usual advice is BRAT -- bananas, raisins, applesauce and toast.

I wish I knew something that was guaranteed to work. :(
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:52 am UTC

You could try high-calorie shakes. Just blend stuff that you would feel OK eating together and drink it. If you're way under your caloric requirements, it's a good way to bring them up. 1000 calorie shakes with syrup, olive oil, ice cream, etc are not unheard of.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 am UTC

Thanks for the suggestions. As to the food being a trigger I have not noticed any correlations. Other than I know I can't even be around beer, but that's the only thing.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

Its usually chocolate, dairy, and sometimes oranges that can trigger migraines. I'll second simple foods. Maybe some grains/oats...porridge? Might be more slow release than other foods, thus giving your body energy to deal with the pain for a longer period of time.
Also, talk to your doc when you see them next, they might have some anecdotal data that you can try?
I don't have migraines anywhere near as bad as yours, but I tend to nibble wholegrain toast and digestive biscuits (I think they're called Graham crackers in America?). And I drink lots of tea, lots and lots of tea. But I'm a tea fuelled machine, so that's probably just me :P
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Lidwiz

Postby Lidwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:55 am UTC

Other common migraine trigger foods: onions, garlic, preservatives (especially nitrates and nitrites), MSG, all dairy products, alcohol (especially red wine), all citrus, caffeine, and nuts. This is not a complete list, and not all trigger foods cause migraines for everyone.

When I was younger and had migraines much more often than I do now, my doctor put me on a restricted diet that contained no known migraine food triggers. After 90 days, I started adding back the foods on the list one at a time to find out which ones were definite triggers for me. It might be worth asking your doctor about doing something similar.

JSinclair

Postby JSinclair » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:26 am UTC

You may want to rule out Celiac disease (a type of 'allergy' to gluten). It can trigger migraine as well as cause nausea. This is especially relevant if anyone in your family has Celiac disease. All the best.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:15 am UTC

poxic wrote:If you can do liquids, try a meal replacement drink from the drugstore ("with extra calories" if you can find them). They're kinda gross and not good for anything long term, but they can tide you over in a pinch. They have carbs, fats, protein, and vitamins/minerals. No fibre, no micronutrients, and not much else to recommend them besides convenience. I used them during a five-day trip away from home when regular meals weren't guaranteed and I was worried about blood sugar.

As someone who recently had to sustain an all liquid diet, I think you are understating the greatness of these shakes! They have all the essential nutrients in a good balance (probably healthier than most peoples' regular diet), though I think the most important factor comes down to caloric density. IIRC, the best ones had around 350 calories. For me I had to drink at least 3 a day to maintain weight (still lost 15 pounds). The flavors are pretty good- vanilla, strawberry, and varying chocolates. Chocolate was my favorite with strawberry being second though it varies from brand to brand. If you can't eat, meal replacement shakes are brilliant.

I think they are bland and inert enough to be kept down despite nausea but your mileage may vary.

poxic wrote:If you can manage it, though, you're probably better off making your own soups.

Literal soups are a bad idea. There are very few calories in broth, so it's a waste of stomach space. The only exception is when you need something with flavor to lift your spirits. You'd be surprised how happy a spicy dish can make you feel after a few days of Ensure and fruit juice.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:24 am UTC

Did you really only consume 1050 calories a day? No wonder you lost weight!

If you cannot consume solids, another very useful calorie source is whole milk. It has loads of protein and good fats and is used by many athletes to help them bulk up when weight-training.

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:59 am UTC

psyck0 wrote:Did you really only consume 1050 calories a day? No wonder you lost weight!

Yup! Even drinking liquids was a chore. I became angry and irritable from the lack of calories so I became depressed when I was restricted to a liquid diet (thin liquids only at that!)

If you cannot consume solids, another very useful calorie source is whole milk. It has loads of protein and good fats and is used by many athletes to help them bulk up when weight-training.

If you can drink a cup of milk, you can drink a cup of meal replacement instead :P.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Return to “Fit Club”