Become faster for dancing

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Ikari-Kun

Become faster for dancing

Postby Ikari-Kun » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

Hello everyone,
I've practiced Karate for several years and switched to bodybuilding two years ago. During this two years I was able to gain some noticeable strength and get into a very good shape. In addition I started taking Ballroom dance lessons about a half year ago and noticed that due to the Bodybuilding I've lost most of the speed I had at the time I was doing Karate. This lack of speed is starting to affect my dancing more and more, the further I progress and the more complicated the figures become that we learn.
Therefore I would like to ask if anyone could suggest some exercises or anything else to get faster at these movements (of course especially in the legs)
Thanks in advance, Steven

Nath

Re: Become faster for dancing

Postby Nath » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 am UTC

Squats and Olympic lifts?

uncivlengr

Re: Become faster for dancing

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 am UTC

I would think some form of high intensity leg exercise, like sprinting, would help your speed, engaging those fast-twitch muscle fibres.

Have you asked your dance instructor? If they were/are competitive dancers, they may know what training is most effective.
I don't know what to do for you

Return to “Fit Club”