Hey, how 'bout some advice.

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Yrael

Hey, how 'bout some advice.

Postby Yrael » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:30 am UTC

So here it goes again, I've gotten help from you guys before but some shit has changed so I am looking to see what people think.

I am,
Height: 6'1" (ish maybe a bit taller since last time it was measured.)
Weight: 182lb

Even though my BMI is still healthy I do have a gut, which I would like to minimize if not get rid of. Now this poses no real issue, all I have to do is work out regularly, which I can say I have learned to do. But theres another factor. I cannot lift, in other words I cannot do any sort of strength training. The reason I cannot lift is my shoulder. Back in Jan of 09 I dislocated it, twice in one day for the first time...and up until now it's been either 10 or 11 times. About a month after it happened I went back to my regular habbits, but less weights and so on. This worked for me fine up until about 2 months into it my shoulder dislocated halfway through a work out. I shrugged it off even though the doctor told me that after the 3rd time I would need surgery. I kept lifting and even though the 3rd time it dislocated was the only time it happened while working it has happened another 7 or 8 times throughout random times, aka swimming, small fights, wrestling with friends, once during basketball. The reason I'm not sure about the total time is 'cause one of those times it didn't really pop all the way out so I don't know if it counts. But in any case, since then every time I lift in any way that would emulate strength training, even push-ups or things of the sort, I feel a tromendous pressure on my shoulder, especially if I am working on my shoulders or doing something like a bench press, or even squats. So I have stopped strength training, last time I did was one hour long session before the 10th and 11th dislocation(9th or 10th if the half way doesn't count). But I have recently (last two days) have started running again. Yesterday I ran a total of 2 miles and walked about half a mile (walk 1/4 then ran a mile then walked a 1/4 then ran 1/2 walked about 1/8 then ran 1/2) and today I ran 2 miles and walked 1/2 except this time I did run all 2 non stop, walked 1/4 ran 2 then walked the last 1/4. I plan on keeping this up, I will go and run at least 2 miles 4 times a week, probably Mon., Tue., Thur., Fri. or Sat. I'll end up running more when I get used to it but for now that is my plan.

My question is, will just doing cardio until this summer when I can have surgery on my shoulder and recover and start lifting again suffice? I mean I just want to technically get in better shape as best I can, maybe speed my metabolism up a bit, I could care less about my actual weight but I would like to have less fat on me, aka get rid of my gut.

Thanks

shocklocks

Re: Hey, how 'bout some advice.

Postby shocklocks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:27 am UTC

It'll suffice yeah.. Weight training isn't necessary for losing weight. The reason it's recommended however is that it helps preserve your lean body mass so you don't lose as much muscle while your dieting. So ya you'll lose weight but a bigger percentage of it will be muscle and that's not awfully ideal.

jtw

Postby jtw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

Injuries suck, and they take some rehabilitation - part of that rehab will be recovering strength you lost. For now if you want to lose weight, you'll have to do it mostly through diet. Try some HIIT (high-intensity interval training) if you're in decent shape already, otherwise cardio is your second best option but as mentioned above, you'll lose muscle mass along with fat.

You don't have too many options until you have the surgery and are recovered from it. How did you dislocate your shoulder initially?

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

You may not be able to bench press, but are you sure you can't do any strength training at all? Really sure? If low and high bar back squats and front squats are all definitely out of the question, this may even be one of those rare occasions where you might want to consider leg pressing, or squatting with a weight vest. Deadlifts also probably wouldn't be too hard on the shoulders. These exercises will reduce the amount of muscle lost due to your cardio. After your shoulder starts to recover, you may also want to consider overhead presses, to reduce the chance of future injury.

Yrael

Postby Yrael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 am UTC

jtw wrote: How did you dislocate your shoulder initially?

I was wrestling, I landed on my shoulder badly
Nath wrote:You may not be able to bench press, but are you sure you can't do any strength training at all? Really sure? If low and high bar back squats and front squats are all definitely out of the question, this may even be one of those rare occasions where you might want to consider leg pressing, or squatting with a weight vest. Deadlifts also probably wouldn't be too hard on the shoulders. These exercises will reduce the amount of muscle lost due to your cardio. After your shoulder starts to recover, you may also want to consider overhead presses, to reduce the chance of future injury.

I cannot lift any sort of weight above my head without it feeling like it will pop out again. I mean I could technically still do leg presses, I have no access to a weight vest, and I could try and do push ups but last time I tried my form sucked and my shoulder almost instantly started aching. I could also work out my arms below the shoulders...but I feel like if I do that I will work out way too unevenly and then it would be a hassle to catch up after I got surgery.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:25 am UTC

Sounds like leg presses (shudder) and deadlifts are the way to go for the time being, then. I don't know how your shoulders would feel about dips, but that's an option for an upper body exercise that doesn't involve lifting things overhead.

You could probably also do glute/ham raises for the posterior chain, and squats with the dumbbells held by your sides. People also do strange one-legged lungey things with the back foot on a bench. It's also possible that you can front squat without bothering your shoulders.

Return to “Fit Club”