The Outdoors Thread

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Shro
science genius girl

The Outdoors Thread

Postby Shro » Tue May 04, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

Guys, it's spring again in the Northern Hemisphere, and it's time to get outside!

What are you guys up to outdoors? What delights you about exercising outside? For me, it's taking my dog out and exploring the trails, and sometimes having him play with some of the neighborhood kids, now that they're outside.

Nice days are motivation to get up and get moving, as you feel like you're wasting the glorious day outside if you're not out there. So come on guys! Let's go running in the mornings and walking after dinner and hiking on saturdays and kayaking on sundays and the dog park and the lake and picnics too.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Re: The Outdoors Thread

Postby 22/7 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Because of this thread I'm going for a run.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Thu May 06, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

Wait, you guys stop playing outside in the winter? Geez.

I'm adding swimming to my repertoire next week. Running, biking, rock climbing, and backpacking is year-round.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri May 07, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

Well, some people live in places where it gets below freezing in the winter and has lake effect COLD. And you know, Seasonal Affective Disorder and all that.

YAY sunshine. But today is a beautiful thunder-stormy day.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon May 10, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

Oh, I do realize that. Pittsburgh had a nice three feet of snow in a weekend, in which I gathered up a few friends for a backpacking trip. Nothing beats winter activities.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 10, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Long walks are my outdoor activity of choice. Not much strain, and you can keep going for hours and hours and hours and burn off those pesky calories. I walked just over 10 miles yesterday. I ache now.

Next weekend, I'll see if I can get to Portishead and back. That'll be at least a 20 mile round trip.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

kgirlfae

Postby kgirlfae » Tue May 11, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:Oh, I do realize that. Pittsburgh had a nice three feet of snow in a weekend, in which I gathered up a few friends for a backpacking trip. Nothing beats winter activities.
Backpacking in a Blizzard is pretty awesome, isn't it?

extrablue

Postby extrablue » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

Summer is a shitty season for sports, no ice, no tele, no nordic, no backcountry tours.

Thats why I'm flying up to Denali next week and spending the rest of july in -20 weather.

suckas
Sorry,
If I'm on internet forums I'm probably drunk.

psykx

Postby psykx » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

I have to say I was pretty sad to see the awesome winter we've had go, until I bought a new mountain bike. It's a long travel, freeride hardtail, light and rides like a dragon. I'm seriously considering saving up and buying a world cup class mountain bike to race in the world cup next year. I'd better start training kinda soonish.

Loving the weather for bouldering and reading in the sun.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

elsanto

Postby elsanto » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

i am thinking of starting cycling again i just love it
@slyreaper dont u get bored on long walks, i personally feel long walks and runs boring , maybe u may have beautiful sorroundings but still its slow and boring
maybe i am a teenager and therefor feels so ,how about you and others

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 pm UTC

I've been digging too many trenches and stuff to do much in the way of outdoor activities recently, but I'd like a long hike sometime this summer. I'm thinking Pembrokeshire- forestry plantations and tundra have always been more my bag, really, given that I've never been overly fond of cliffs, but being next to the beach has its attractive side. I might even walk there- it can only be thirty miles. I need a new pack, though, and a walking partner would be cool as well. The new boots are breaking in nicely, though. It's something to look forward to.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

elsanto

Postby elsanto » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

hey i guys i need ur help , for sometime i have been wanting to back pack across the country so i need tips and advice as to how to back pack
what shud i look out for the precautions.. one more questiion i what shoes type of shoes should i prefer

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

Well you came to the right place! I backpacked from Georgia to Maine two years ago. whiteblaze.net would be a better resource for specific questions. They deal with long-distance backpacking on all major trails in the US.

1. Pack light. 15lbs base weight is your goal. A small single-person tent, a lightweight sleeping bag, a pocket rocket stove and rain gear.
2. Don't carry too much food. Most people just starting out will carry 20lbs of food. That is absurd. It takes a few weeks to figure out your best food-weight limit.
3. Take it slow and enjoy it. I averaged 18 miles per day, and at the end I felt like I missed a lot of enjoyment.

Shoes: I wore these for 1500 miles, and still wear them daily: http://www.rei.com/product/763575
Another decent pair: Montrail's Continental Divide and Vasque's Mercury.

psykx

Postby psykx » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

I'm setting up a new forum at the moment and I thought It might be of interest to some of the more UK localised here. It's for all 'adrenaline' or 'extreme' sports, with a serious slant towards being out in the elements. I'm hoping that this will be a place where we can talk about, breakdown and create ideas, the skills and the gear, to keep us lighter, faster and pushing our limits. Might be a better place to chat about this sort of stuff than on here, obviously I'm biased though.

hey ho, well if you want to pop over and have a look at what I'm/we're trying to do that'd be cool.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

I'm big into my Whitewater Canoeing (of which we've had none recently), Mountain Biking (of which there's been plenty) and Winter Climbing (of which I missed a spectacularly good season due to Jan exams), I also now swim recreationally exculsively outside (sea and river) but I'm not commited enough to build up the disturbing aclimatisation for winter swimming.

I can't see a situation in which I would exercise and not be outside; It seems somehow alien to do exercise indoors.

psykx wrote:I'm setting up a new forum at the moment and I thought It might be of interest to some of the more UK localised here. It's for all 'adrenaline' or 'extreme' sports, with a serious slant towards being out in the elements. I'm hoping that this will be a place where we can talk about, breakdown and create ideas, the skills and the gear, to keep us lighter, faster and pushing our limits. Might be a better place to chat about this sort of stuff than on here, obviously I'm biased though.

hey ho, well if you want to pop over and have a look at what I'm/we're trying to do that'd be cool.

I might lurk a bit, but I fear that if you do get a good cross section of the different sports the forum would decend into chaos through a mixture of ingrained rivalry (Bike vs Walker, Horses vs everyone, canoe vs fisherman, Sport vs Trad climbing, Alpine & Randonee vs telemark... I won't go on) and the general overzealous banter and cock-measuring that seems inevitable with activities which have a signigicant contingent of young men who are both very good and very eager to prove themselves.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

elsanto

Postby elsanto » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:20 am UTC

@ joe i dont have any specific questions at the moment and btw i live in india ..i dont have any idea so would feel grateful if u or others could enlighte me

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:01 am UTC

elsanto wrote:@ joe i dont have any specific questions at the moment and btw i live in india ..i dont have any idea so would feel grateful if u or others could enlighte me

I have a feeling that backpacking (as in trekking, not as in being a pretentious gap-year student) across India is going to be somewhat more difficult than the average self supported trek.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

ottifant

Postby ottifant » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

my activity of choice is definitely Rock Climbing and/or Bouldering. It's quite exhausting, and and also an intensive experience every time. I also like running, because it frees my mind from almost everything... Plus you can run in every weather, with a little preparation it doesn't matter if its -15° or 30° C.
Climbing big trees is also great fun, because its really an unique view you get from up there...

Bearboy

Postby Bearboy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:06 am UTC

My two main poisons are abseiling and hiking.

Abseiling because it is like rockclimbing(and if you got the right stuff you can just set up a climb) but easier as it involves falling and little physical skill so for a porky boy like myself i can actually get involved.

Then hiking. Great fun, spend a few days out in the bush. Fucking expensive to have the right gear though so we just harden up and take heavier stuff.

Also this year, winter here, I'm doing a inflatable boat drivers license at my Surf life Saving Club. High powered boats, big waves and 10C water? Whats not to like.

Return to “Fit Club”