Benching rates

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Dustin

Benching rates

Postby Dustin » Sat May 29, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

I am a 213 lb. white male. I admit I let myself get out of shape over the winter.

At this point, I do 25 reps at 70 lbs, is this average for toning, which is all I own for weights right now (tight budget) Google results were mostly regarding single benches.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/531308
My little vision of the future

psyck0

Re: Benching rates

Postby psyck0 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:30 am UTC

Step one: Look up Dave Tate's Bench press cure so that you are benching PROPERLY. I absolutely guarantee that you are not right now. It makes a huge difference and can prevent serious shoulder injuries.

Step two: toning doesn't exist. "Tone" refers to the tension present in a resting muscle, i.e. how firm it is, and is a function of strength. What you really want is to build strength and muscle mass. The latter will take you at least 6 months to see anything noticeable. You may also want to lose body fat, depending if you're a fatty or a skinny boy, in order to actually see any muscle you do put on.

Step three: start doing 3-5 sets of 5 reps. If you can do 70 lbs for 25 reps, start off around 100-115 lbs, bench press twice a week and add 5 lbs every time you go.

Step four: learn to squat (properly, to parallel, none of this quarter squat shit). It will add muscle mass to your upper body and increase your bench press. When frat boys ask real lifters how to improve their bench, the best advice they are given is to squat more.

Don't waste your time with isolation exercises right now, you won't see much benefit. For the first few months, most strength increases will come from improving the performance of your central nervous system and thus making your muscle fibers contract synchronously rather than actually building muscle mass, as well as improving your technique, and the isolation work won't help much with that, so it's largely wasted time.

Stick with it. Most people quit after a month or two and just waste all that time at the gym because they're pussies. Keep going, work hard, eat well and you'll see progress.

E: Oh damn, you don't go to a gym. Step one is really to start going to a gym. If you absolutely can't afford it, do pull-ups and do push-ups with weight on your back, or push-up variations like clappers to increase the difficulty. 70 lbs is not enough to really get anything out of benching. You're not going to gain much muscle mass doing bodyweight exercises, though, so I'd focus more on conditioning. Sprints, skipping, that sort of thing. Screw endurance work unless you like it; sprints are more effective and less harmful on your joints than distance running anyway.

Return to “Fit Club”