Using a 6 foot bar for training?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

shocklocks

Using a 6 foot bar for training?

Postby shocklocks » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

Title pretty much explains it all. I've finished the novice phase of starting strength and am getting right into the intermediate weekly progression part. The gym I'm at however are pretty adverse to actual training. Long story short, they don't like me dropping my dead lifts and power cleans, despite them having rubber plates. Because of this I decided I should rock a home gym, however I have well and truly blown my budget and still have to get a bar and work out the floor. One of my friends has a 6foot bar that they say I can have for free although I'm not sure of the disadvantages of this(aside from it being lighter.) Is it an alright substitute or should I really be hanging out for a 7foot one.

meatyochre

Re: Using a 6 foot bar for training?

Postby meatyochre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:25 pm UTC

Do you work out at planet fitness?

I just ask because I have a membership there and am acquainted with complaints about the lunk alarm. You may want to train somewhere else if that's the case. However, anywhere you go it is usually viewed as poor etiquette to slam weights around and onto the ground.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Victoria Maddison

Postby Victoria Maddison » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

shocklocks wrote:they don't like me dropping my dead lifts and power cleans, despite them having rubber plates.

Rubber coated plates are different from bumpers and aren't designed to be dropped.

shocklocks wrote:One of my friends has a 6foot bar that they say I can have for free although I'm not sure of the disadvantages of this(aside from it being lighter.) Is it an alright substitute or should I really be hanging out for a 7foot one.

Significantly reduced sleeve space is going to be a problem, also I suspect this bar is of low quality so expect it to bend sooner or later when the weights get heavy. Eventually you're going to have to shell out for a high quality 7' Olympic barbell, but until you get the cash together you may as well take this friend up on their offer.

meatyochre wrote:However, anywhere you go it is usually viewed as poor etiquette to slam weights around and onto the ground.

Notice how every single weightlifter in the 2008 Olympic games dropped the weights from over head? Bad etiquette is curling in the squat rack, not dropping a power clean.

bbq

Postby bbq » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote: However, anywhere you go it is usually viewed as poor etiquette to slam weights around and onto the ground.

Yeah, if you're doing bicep curls. But if you're doing powercleans, or any type of olympic lift or variation of, you kind of need to drop the bar onto the floor.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Return to “Fit Club”