Exercising when it's cold...

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

larkascending

Exercising when it's cold...

Postby larkascending » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:12 am UTC

I know this probably isn't too relevant to you northern-hemisphere people right now, but down here in some parts of Aussieland it's starting to get pretty nippy. I normally play badminton twice a week and go for a morning run if I can't. Badminton's cancelled for a month now but it's so cold I can't bring myself to go outside. :( The lack of exercise is making me jittery and I really hate it! How can I motivate myself to get out of my warm, cosy bed in the morning and out into the freezing cold?

Lioness

Re: Exercising when it's cold...

Postby Lioness » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:06 am UTC

I know what you mean...I'm having similar troubles.

I joined a gym, for a start. It's ever-so-slightly warmer in there. I also try to motivate myself with the knowledge that I will be a lot warmer once I've exercised for an hour or so. Exercise becomes my heater, I guess.
I tend to go in the afternoon though, because my bed loves me too much. It's warm, and out there is cold. So I let myself sleep in more, and then go to the gym when I get home from school, or after dinner.

But, barring a gym, I'd say aim to go when you're already out of bed. If you catch a bus to work/school, get off a couple of stops early, or on a couple of stops late. Run the extra distance. You're already out there, so you might as well.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:18 am UTC

One word: Thermal tights.

Decent wicking ones preferably, I've found that Helly Hanson make some very good value ones, in a range of three weights for different temperatures. I'm not sure whether the Warm range or the Dry range would be more suited, because you'd not said what temperature "cold" is or how much activity you'll be doing once you're in the cold.

If you're out running in the cold don't forget to hydrate properly, it's easy to get very dehydrated.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

larkascending

Postby larkascending » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

Hmm I'm not sure if we have those in Australia, but I'll have a look around. At the moment it's around 3°C (37°F) in the morning and dropping - any Canadians out there are probably laughing at me for being such a wimp. Afternoons aren't much of an option since I work and it's dark by the time I get home, and my survival instincts go against me running down badly lit streets at night. :|

TGM

Postby TGM » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 am UTC

^ We do, aussie disposals sells thermals. Or any camping/outdoors store.

I just take a bit more time for my warmup if it's cold out.
- TGM

Return to “Fit Club”