Help on gaining weight

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Cao_Cao
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Help on gaining weight

Postby Cao_Cao » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

I can't gain weight no matter how much I eat
I am already 20 years old but I'm small and skinny my height is 5'2'' I don't know my weight but I'm so skinny that I look like a skeleton.
I already tried eating food with high calories and carbohydrates and I also drink 3 glasses of milk everyday
I eat 4 times a day(6 am, 11 am, 4 pm and 8 pm)
I even still eat eventhough my stomach feels like it's gonna burst just because I want to gain weight
I also workout 3-4 times a week
What do I do?

Drake
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby Drake » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

Just some things to think about:

How many calories do you eat? Everyone's appetite is different. Gut bursting four times a day sounds like a sure path to American style Obesity, but unless you are counting calories you never know. ( Anecdote: I have to count calories to keep on weight). And yes, metabolism can vary.

How much do you weigh? Hate to say it, but 'skinny' can be subjective. As long as we are being objective, why not calculate your BMI using a waist/hip measurement like over here: http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/ (When you include waist/hip measurements, BMI is a little more useful meatheads and bean poles alike)

What kind of workouts do you do? People respond differently to different workouts. How many different workouts have you tried? Anecdote: After lifting weights for a couple of years, and putting on a lot of upper body mass I still had (relatively) skinny legs. My legs were on just as rigourus of a schedule as my upper body but did not respond.Then, after a couple months of cycling, I couldn't fit into my jeans.

How long have you been physically active? A couple months of working out will build a good base you can work off of,but prior to that (especially if you have not exercised regularly), your body is Not Building Muscle; your brain is rewiring itself to work more efficiently.

If you are Male, can you grow a beard? The point I am trying to make here is that everyone develops at a different time. I know not every male can (or needs to) grow a beard, but as a secondary sex characteristic, it can be a rough metric of how much testosterone is in your system (again, assuming you are male and are of the right ethnicity to grow a beard). Anecdote: up until about 19, I shaved every three days or so. Then, I started to grow a 5 o'clock shadow around 7pm every day. Boom! my bench press shot up 35 pounds in 6-8 weeks (to a measly 125lbs). I didn't even change my weight lifting routine.

Good Luck!

caje
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby caje » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

Pick up Starting Strength, it is a good novice work out program designed to make skinny guys much bigger fast. Do NO cardio. Eat 6 thousand calories a day minimum. Up your milk intake at least 2 fold. Get A LOT of sleep.

bbq
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby bbq » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

caje wrote:Pick up Starting Strength, it is a good novice work out program designed to make skinny guys much bigger fast. Do NO cardio. Eat 6 thousand calories a day minimum. Up your milk intake at least 2 fold. Get A LOT of sleep.


6 thousand? Thats a little excessive.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

caje
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby caje » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

bbq wrote:6 thousand? Thats a little excessive.


It might slightly be for his height Maybe only 5 thousand, but for his age and his skinniness level (skeleton) It really isn't especially if he is getting a lot of the calories from protein/fat combos (aka meat) eating a good amount of vegies and avoiding just filling in too many calories with things like excess soda or Twinkies.

Cao_Cao
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby Cao_Cao » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

Drake wrote:Just some things to think about:

How many calories do you eat? Everyone's appetite is different. Gut bursting four times a day sounds like a sure path to American style Obesity, but unless you are counting calories you never know. ( Anecdote: I have to count calories to keep on weight). And yes, metabolism can vary.

How much do you weigh? Hate to say it, but 'skinny' can be subjective. As long as we are being objective, why not calculate your BMI using a waist/hip measurement like over here: http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/ (When you include waist/hip measurements, BMI is a little more useful meatheads and bean poles alike)

What kind of workouts do you do? People respond differently to different workouts. How many different workouts have you tried? Anecdote: After lifting weights for a couple of years, and putting on a lot of upper body mass I still had (relatively) skinny legs. My legs were on just as rigourus of a schedule as my upper body but did not respond.Then, after a couple months of cycling, I couldn't fit into my jeans.

How long have you been physically active? A couple months of working out will build a good base you can work off of,but prior to that (especially if you have not exercised regularly), your body is Not Building Muscle; your brain is rewiring itself to work more efficiently.

If you are Male, can you grow a beard? The point I am trying to make here is that everyone develops at a different time. I know not every male can (or needs to) grow a beard, but as a secondary sex characteristic, it can be a rough metric of how much testosterone is in your system (again, assuming you are male and are of the right ethnicity to grow a beard). Anecdote: up until about 19, I shaved every three days or so. Then, I started to grow a 5 o'clock shadow around 7pm every day. Boom! my bench press shot up 35 pounds in 6-8 weeks (to a measly 125lbs). I didn't even change my weight lifting routine.

Good Luck!

My calories intake is approximately 2500+. I don't know how much I weigh because I don't have a weighing scale.
I do push ups, sit ups, squats, jog in place and variations of ab exercises(because I eat a lot my stomach is really big).
I'm a male and already 20 years old but still doesn't have a beard. I have low confidence because I look like 10-12 years old boy with my small body and baby face.

shocklocks
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby shocklocks » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

You only eat 2500 calories and you're surprised you aren't gaining weight? I lost about 8kg on a diet that was roughly 3200 calories a day. You aren't eating enough to sustain your average 20year old male let alone put on weight. Eat 6-8times a day rather then 4 so you don't have to eat as much in one sitting. There's endless sites with advice and tips on how to put on weight but the basic rules are pretty simple. Eat lots, lift heavy things, get sufficient rest and eat lots.

bbq
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby bbq » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:08 am UTC

caje wrote:
bbq wrote:6 thousand? Thats a little excessive.


It might slightly be for his height Maybe only 5 thousand, but for his age and his skinniness level (skeleton) It really isn't especially if he is getting a lot of the calories from protein/fat combos (aka meat) eating a good amount of vegies and avoiding just filling in too many calories with things like excess soda or Twinkies.



I'd say 4500-5000 and he would definitely gain weight. I'd say GOMAD + whatever he normally eats, with all the crap taken out and meat and fish added in, would be perfect.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Cao_Cao
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby Cao_Cao » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:42 am UTC

shocklocks wrote:You only eat 2500 calories and you're surprised you aren't gaining weight? I lost about 8kg on a diet that was roughly 3200 calories a day. You aren't eating enough to sustain your average 20year old male let alone put on weight. Eat 6-8times a day rather then 4 so you don't have to eat as much in one sitting. There's endless sites with advice and tips on how to put on weight but the basic rules are pretty simple. Eat lots, lift heavy things, get sufficient rest and eat lots.


That is just an estimate because I don't really know how to count calories on food
I eat more than my brothers who is 2 times bigger than me

Drake
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby Drake » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Cao_Cao wrote:
shocklocks wrote:You only eat 2500 calories and you're surprised you aren't gaining weight? I lost about 8kg on a diet that was roughly 3200 calories a day. You aren't eating enough to sustain your average 20year old male let alone put on weight. Eat 6-8times a day rather then 4 so you don't have to eat as much in one sitting. There's endless sites with advice and tips on how to put on weight but the basic rules are pretty simple. Eat lots, lift heavy things, get sufficient rest and eat lots.


That is just an estimate because I don't really know how to count calories on food
I eat more than my brothers who is 2 times bigger than me


Cao_Cao wrote:I do push ups, sit ups, squats, jog in place and variations of ab exercises(because I eat a lot my stomach is really big).


If you are already carrying some extra weight on your stomach, your diet may not be the right thing to focus on. (That being said, gaining a few pounds of fat while putting on muscle is expected)

How long have you been doing your current workout routine and what is your exercise history like? your current routine sounds good, but you shouldn't expect callisthenics to really build mass unless you are doing something like 150-200 pushups per workout, or stacking callisthenics with rowing or swimming. If either of those options sound really painful, I'd say take a look at your exercise history. Has physical activity/exercise been a part of your life growing up? (I'm talking wrestling, swimming, etc... not Frisbee golf*), or are you just getting serious? It could be that you are doing everything right and you just have to hang in their for another 3-6 months.

*Not dissing frisbee golf as an activity, but it is usually played at a more relaxed pace then, say, cross country. And No, I don't need to hear about how hard-core your frisbee golf team was (unless you are Cao-Cao). I know they are out there.

WastedCharlie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:22 am UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby WastedCharlie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:26 am UTC

Cao_Cao wrote:I am already 20 years old but I'm small and skinny my height is 5'2'' I don't know my weight but I'm so skinny that I look like a skeleton.

Nothing wrong with skeletal. I was a skeleton at your age. It didn't matter if I was a glutton or didn't eat for days; I stayed at roughly 55 kg.

Cao_Cao wrote:I already tried eating food with high calories and carbohydrates and I also drink 3 glasses of milk everyday
I eat 4 times a day(6 am, 11 am, 4 pm and 8 pm)

High calories and carbs will just make you feel bloated and/or make you gain fat. You need a reasonable level of carbs to keep your energy up and protein to gain weight. Use a search engine to find foods that are high in protein and that you like. E.g. Fish, Chicken, Lean meat.
Cao_Cao wrote:I even still eat eventhough my stomach feels like it's gonna burst just because I want to gain weight

Too many carbs and high-calorie foods are probably to blame for that. Eat more sensibly and stop hurting yourself. I see from one of your other posts that you've developed a big stomach. My bet would be that you're gaining fat around your belly but nowhere else. Often, when you're trying to gain muscle you will increase your fat because high-protein foods can also be high in fat (e.g. chicken with skin, eggs, etc.). If you're working out and doing press-ups and sit ups et al then you're trying to get a muscular physique, right? Concentrate on getting that and then try to ditch the excess fat later. Skinny-ripped is a lot better than skinny-fat (not the oxymoron it looks like).
Gaining fat should probably not be your goal.

Cao_Cao wrote:I also workout 3-4 times a week. What do I do?

Concentrate on how you work out. Your body will adapt to whatever you throw at it (particularly at your age). So if you want to see gains you have to keep mixing it up. My advice would be to get yourself to a gym if you can afford it. Take a friend and buddy up. Friendly competition can help motivate you. You'll probably find people looking and feeling just like yourself there too. If a gym isn't your thing or it's too expensive then buy yourself some equipment: dumb bells and bar bells, a weights bench and plenty of weights, plus the all-important pull ups bar. Learn plenty of exercises and stick to maybe an hour long program every two days - recovery is just as important as exercising: You're building new muscle by damaging the old. Give it a day each time to rebuild. Change the program every 4-6 weeks to stop yourself from becoming too accustomed to it and always keep the weights challenging but not dangerously so.
Eat breakfast, don't exercise on a heavy stomach because it will only slow you down, and eat plenty of protein within an hour of working-out, preferably sooner.

Here's a another tip for you: Sit-ups do not reduce your body fat. Tighter muscles can tone an area, so a big belly can be pulled into shape a little by a strong set of abs, but working the muscles of an area will not target the fat content of that area. Just because an area has been pulled into shape doesn't mean its fat content has reduced any. When it comes to losing fat, forget the sit ups and do something aerobic.

User avatar
PlayingMonkey
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:45 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere but not here
Contact:

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby PlayingMonkey » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 am UTC

i suggest seeing a doctor, simply because it might not be your fault. It could be a problem with your body, and seeing a doctor could help you figure out how to gain weight.
I require something interesting here. Alas, I have no intelligence or patience to deal with it.

Quibop

Read my ridiculous blog http://randomlyevolving.blogspot.com/

bbq
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Re: Help on gaining weight

Postby bbq » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

PlayingMonkey wrote:i suggest seeing a doctor, simply because it might not be your fault. It could be a problem with your body, and seeing a doctor could help you figure out how to gain weight.


No, he's just not eating enough food..
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.


Return to “Fit Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests