Stretching

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

cspirou

Stretching

Postby cspirou » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

Say you are someone that has never stretched a day in your life. If you are very dedicated, how long would it take to get to the point where you could do the splits?

In the interest of making this a topic about stretching in general I read an article about how the usual stretching routine before exercise is wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sport ... ml?_r=1&em

The article emphasizes 'dynamic' stretches before working out and 'static' stretches after working out.

duckshirt

Re: Stretching

Postby duckshirt » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

It's true, there are lots of people who stretch wrong, and even after workouts a lot of common stretches are counter-productive (example: the "push-against-the-wall" where you extend your foot far from the wall, flat, to stretch the calves).

I've been stretching my hamstrings in a way I'm pretty sure is correct after years of runs, and I still can't get to my toes and hold it there. So to answer your original question, "not enough info..."
lol everything matters
-Ed

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:47 am UTC

cspirou wrote:Say you are someone that has never stretched a day in your life. If you are very dedicated, how long would it take to get to the point where you could do the splits?

IIRC one month was the figure given by stretching guru Thomas Kurz in Stretching Scientifically. Of course that requires knowledge as much as, if not more than, dedication.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

fooliam

Postby fooliam » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

kinda depends on your starting point. Some people are more flexible than others regardless of any kind stretching routine. ALso depends on the type of stretching you're doing and how often you do it, as well as how well your body responds to the stretching routine.

In other words, there is no way to give a good answer to your question.

Bought ME2 based on my totally useful poll :-)

Return to “Fit Club”