Fitness tips for Lazy People?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Aardvarki

Fitness tips for Lazy People?

Postby Aardvarki » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:39 am UTC

So, I should start off by saying: I'm lazy. Very lazy. I simply can't motivate myself to exercise nearly as vigorously as I know I should be. I may try to pick up running again, but every time I start, I end up getting too lazy to keep doing it, and just end up stopping after a couple runs.

I've adjusted my diet already. I eat an average of 1500 calories a day, and if I had to guess, it's about 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat. The total and the carbs would both be lower if I could get myself to stop drinking beer, but I honestly don't see that happening. Really, I'd say I have 5-6 days a week of 1000-1200 calories, and 1-2 days a week of 2500-3000 calories (bar nights).

My average daily food intake is approximately:
Egg white omelet with peppers and onions, and a small amount of cheese plus a scoop of low-fat cottage cheese for breakfast (total: 300 calories, over 50% of them from protein)
CLIF Builder Bar for a mid-day snack (250 calories, about even split between carbs/protein/fat)
Turkey Sandwich for a very late lunch (500 calories, mostly protein and carbs, the cheese has fat but not a whole lot)
I don't really eat dinner. Depending on how hungry I am, I might have a protein shake or some other snack in the evening, so I feel I eat very well. On bar nights, add a cheeseburger and a half dozen beers to the list of what I eat.

I'm 26 years old, 5'8" and about 165 if I had to guess my weight (I haven't weighed myself in half a year - I won't allow myself to own a scale because they turn me OCD and I weigh myself ten times a day if I have one). In the past two months, I've been working out a little bit (as opposed to not doing anything at all). I've noticed improvement in my waistline and I'm able to do more pushups now than I used to be able to.

I guess what I'm asking is what am I doing wrong (aside from doing very little - telling me to stop being lazy isn't really going to work, if I could stop being lazy I wouldn't be here asking for advice), and what are the easiest steps I can take from where I'm at now to improve the shape I'm in? I suppose just general, overall appearance. I have a little bit of fat I'd like to drop off, and I'd like to be more muscular. I'm really not in any sort of hurry, I just want to be in a little better shape than I am now. I don't care for a six-pack, but i'd really like to be able to SEE my abs, or at least have definition to my midsection.

I have access to a barbell, dumbbells, a yoga mat, a pull-up bar, and the outside (to run).
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

Nath

Re: Fitness tips for Lazy People?

Postby Nath » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 am UTC

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but you aren't going to make much progress without a change of mindset. Laziness isn't some strange incurable disease; it just means that you don't want to succeed badly enough. So think your priorities through: if you are sufficiently determined to get in better shape, you'll do what it takes; if not, you won't. Either way; it's entirely your choice.

If you do choose to move forward, here's what you need to do. You probably already know this, but I'll spell it out anyway.

First, work hard. If you actually are living off 1500 calories and aren't losing weight, you must be incredibly sedentary at the moment. To get more muscular, do strength training. Your free weights and pull-up bar will serve you well if you choose an intelligent program. (See other threads here on strength training.) Some cardio/metabolic conditioning-type work is also a good idea. So a total of four workouts a week would work -- two each for strength and conditioning.

Second, eat more. To recover from a decent strength training program, you'll probably need at least another 1000 calories. Much more if you're doing something like Starting Strength and conditioning at the same time. If you're currently pretty untrained, you can get away with a slight caloric deficit in the beginning, and improve your body composition for a while. You'll soon reach a point where you need to choose between gaining muscle and losing fat, or do some research on how to juggle these two goals. Fine-tuning what you eat is probably not worth it until you get to that point, assuming you're eating enough protein.

I know, there's no way you're going to do four hard workouts a week as long as you use your laziness as a crutch. But if you do decide that improving your health is worth a bit of effort, then at least you know what to do (and believe it or not, you may actually enjoy it!). If not, that's fine too. Fitness isn't the only valuable thing in the world, but it is nice. Good luck either way.

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

Well that's the thing. At my current caloric intake, I am losing weight, and at my current level of exercise, I am gaining a small amount of strength. I'm happy with that for now, but I'm not dumb - I know i'm only seeing improvement right now because previously, I wasn't doing anything at all. I'm wondering if there's yet another small step I can take to further improve my outcome, and perhaps move the peak of where I'm eventually going to plateau. I'm sure simply eating well and doing minimal exercise will only get me so far, but I'd like to get as far as I can on eating well and doing minimal exercise. Maybe as I see the improvements that makes, I can motivate myself to put more time into it.

I don't want to be ripped, or add twenty pounds of muscle. I'm already in acceptable shape, and I'm not willing to waste however much time it would take me to have the perfect body. For the first 22 years of my life, I was easily 50-60 pounds heavier than I am now. Compared to then, I'm thrilled with where I'm at now. I'm wondering if there's a very small lifestyle-type change that I can make that, perhaps over the next two years, will improve my fitness even further. Either that, or perhaps a recommendation of the one or two best exercises for improving general fitness, from where I'm at. Should I try to add a tiny bit of cardio? Should I be doing cleans and jerks? I can motivate myself enough to get about 15 minutes of solid workout in, per day. How can I best spend those 15 minutes?

Also, I've been trying to go disc golfing more often. It's hardly a workout, but it's definitely two hours of walking around outside, up and down hills. I'm sure that has to count for something. Taking up more outdoor hobbies, that involve walking around, is one thing I'm trying.

What else can I do?
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

. Either that, or perhaps a recommendation of the one or two best exercises for improving general fitness, from where I'm at. Should I try to add a tiny bit of cardio? Should I be doing cleans and jerks? I can motivate myself enough to get about 15 minutes of solid workout in, per day. How can I best spend those 15 minutes?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Anythi ... &id=348486
5minutes of easy cardio to warm up, tabata sets, 5 more minutes of easy cardio to warm down. If you can't do them right away increase the rest time between each set or drop the total number of sets and build it up slowly. If you can do them quite easily then do another round or two(possibly with different exercises) before the warm down. The original method used the same exercise 6 times a week. I however found it more fun mixing it up. An example would be:

Monday & Friday: Barbell squats with minimal weight. OR squat thrusts as explained in the link.
Tuesday: & Saturday: Traditional cardio: Sprints,rowing,biking etc.
Wednesday & Sunday: Burpees
Thursday: Rest day.

Return to “Fit Club”