My chest...

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Overdosed on Apathy

My chest...

Postby Overdosed on Apathy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

My boobs are kind of huge. Seriously. Well, not so huge that I can't manage them, but huge enough that they bother me. I look a ton and a half larger than I really am because of them, so I need some help.

Let me get you some background here - When I was in high school, I was a muscled twig. I was 5'9, 130lbs, and like 15% body fat. My muscles had muscles. And I'm not bragging here, I was just really, really fit. I swam for two different swim teams, a collegiate age group team and my high school team, and so I had at least three work outs a day. A two hour one in the mornings, an hour and a half in the afternoons, and another two hours in the evening. I was averaging five to six hours a day, six days a week.

At the same time, I had a hard time eating. I have been on some type of drug for ADHD since about 9th grade, usually switching between Ritalin and Adderall, which are both appetite suppressants. I basically had to train my body to eat a ton of food, even if I wasn't hungry, and I was never hungry. So I would just eat. When I saw food, I'd eat it, because I had to otherwise I'd just wither away.

Fast forward a few years. I gained a TON of weight when I graduated. I didn't pursue swimming into college for various reasons, and I stopped working out, though I was still eating just as much as I did while I was swimming, mostly out of habit. My highest weight was about 175lbs, and I hit that around 20, and stayed above 170 for about two years. I gained weight all over... my belly, my thighs and bum, and most noticeably, (to me anyway) my breasts. I went from barely an A cup (I never really even had to wear a bra in school) to a D cup. I got all gross stretch marks and they were impossible, and blah blah blah. It was unsightly and upsetting; we'll leave it there.

I got fed up with all of this about sixish months ago, and started working out again - running, biking, walking, weights, all that stuff - and even put myself on a diet. I am back down to 145lbs, which is about normal for my height, though I'd like to maybe lose 5 or 10 more, just to get rid of that little belly jiggle. I'm pretty much really happy with myself about all that. The problem that I'm facing now, is that my chest is still fairly large. I went back down to a large-ish C cup, but compared to my smaller waist, they look pretty huge, and they're kind of droopy. It makes me have sad faces.

Barring surgery, (it's too expensive, I don't have the time for recovery, and I don't want to potentially deal with unsightly scars on a botched job) is there anything I can do to reduce the size, or firm them up? I'd like to be back down at about a B cup if I could... Any suggestions?
Humanity fueled my fear and greed - Cultivate and kill, it's our great legacy.
So much death to undo, but here's a clue: If we can build a bomb, can't we build heaven too?
Nah. Let's make life a living hell.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Re: My chest...

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:25 am UTC

Overdosed on Apathy wrote:Barring surgery, (it's too expensive, I don't have the time for recovery, and I don't want to potentially deal with unsightly scars on a botched job) is there anything I can do to reduce the size, or firm them up? I'd like to be back down at about a B cup if I could... Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, no, not as far as I know. You can't target fat loss to specific areas of the body, so there's no form of exercise that will make breasts smaller without first having to get rid of fat in other parts of your body. Being female, your body will tend to store fat in the hips, thighs and breast areas, and so even when you lose fat, the fat that remains will tend to have that same distribution. I'm not certain, but I believe variations in fat storage, and hence approximate body shape, are genetic, which is why some women have large breasts for their body type (due to a stronger tendency to store fat in the chest) and others are pear shaped (due to a stronger tendency to store fat in the hips).

I'd suggest seeing a doctor that knows about your medication and asking if the medication could be responsible for your breast size (through changing your body's distribution of fat), and whether changing medication could help. Also, you could try asking them about non-surgical solutions to breast droop.

Short version: Exercise can reduce your overall body fat levels, but you cannot use it to target fat in specific areas.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:07 am UTC

That's mostly true, but this might be an exception. Fat distribution can be affected by hormones, and IIRC heavy strength training (e.g. deadlifting) increases testosterone levels. I know hormones interact in strange ways, but it's not inconceivable that increased testosterone might alleviate the OP's problem.

It's also likely that simply improving body composition will help, even without targeted fat loss. If you gained fat in your chest, that might be where you lose it from as well, particularly if the medication was not a factor. After all, you've lost a lot of weight, but it's unlikely that your body fat percentage is what it was when you were an athlete. Maybe all you need to do is trade in some fat for muscle.

Intrepid

Postby Intrepid » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

how about try doing chest workouts at the bench press?
(^@^)

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:14 am UTC

You might see success by returning to your previous weight levels, ie, lose another 15 pounds. Of course those previous dimensions might have been pre-puberty, so barring any hormonal problems you could be stuck with your genetically big boobs.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Dark Knight Bob

Postby Dark Knight Bob » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:13 pm UTC

I cannot believe this hasn't attracted the usual attention boobs garner but quite frankly why on earth do you care so much about some image of perfection for your boobs.

Unless they are causing you severe back problems, just show those puppies off for all to see!

The key is finding a great fitting bra that will give you the support you need.

Honestly how bad can they be? good social groups won't care how your figure is,honestly.

Enjoy them!

Solt

Postby Solt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Dark Knight Bob wrote:I cannot believe this hasn't attracted the usual attention boobs garner but quite frankly why on earth do you care so much about some image of perfection for your boobs.

Unless they are causing you severe back problems, just show those puppies off for all to see!

Honestly how bad can they be? good social groups won't care how your figure is,honestly.

Enjoy them!

Well this is the fit club not the "convince me to give up my fitness goals in favor of accepting my body as it is" club.

Not that I'm saying people always set the smartest goals for themselves.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

Overdosed on Apathy

Postby Overdosed on Apathy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

Dark Knight Bob wrote:I cannot believe this hasn't attracted the usual attention boobs garner but quite frankly why on earth do you care so much about some image of perfection for your boobs.

Enjoy them!

I don't care what other people think about how I look, I care about how I think I look. It's not a social thing. I have lots of friends, super awesome family, and I'm getting married in January. They're not *that* big... They don't cause back problems, not really, and I guess it's not a big deal... They were always just small. I liked them that way. They didn't get in the way, it didn't hurt to run, and it was easy to find shirts that didn't make me look like... I don't know. A whore skank. I don't like showing them off, that's not my MO. Most of my friends are guys. I work in a completely male dominated workplace. The less they think of me as a woman, the easier it is for me. It's more... comfortable.

I don't know. It's kind of insane sounding, I know that. I just really, really don't like them so much. And the more weight I lose, the larger they look in proportion to my body. It's super frustrating when I can fit into a size 6 wedding dress, but I either have to go a size higher, or get it all altered, so that my chest isn't popping out the top of it. I have a muffin top. ON MY CHEST.

/end rant
Humanity fueled my fear and greed - Cultivate and kill, it's our great legacy.
So much death to undo, but here's a clue: If we can build a bomb, can't we build heaven too?
Nah. Let's make life a living hell.

Sam7791

Postby Sam7791 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:35 am UTC

I recently had a pretty huge bitch tits until about 2-3 years ago. Like you, I was extremely self conscience on how I looked. I was ok with the rest of my body, except my chest. I always felt extremely awkward being a guy with boobs, and dating was kinda out of the question, because I didn't think I could find a girl that would like a guy with bigger boobs than she did. And I wasn't obese and I was barely overweight, so I thought i could do better than fat girls. It got so bad that I had to where a jacket just so my boobs wouldn't stick out, and I wouldn't dare just wearing a tshirt alone.

Anyways the way I cured it was just simply running. I lucked out and got all evening/night classes. So I slept all day and did classes all night. So I would run around 2-4 am, which was perfect because I wouldn't feel like the fat person who runs that everyone stares at and makes unkind comments about. And I lived in a good neighborhood, so I didn't have to worry about getting mugged. I ran every night for about 3 months until I finally saw improvements, and I've been running ever since.

So my advice: Just start working out (by running or sports or whatever) and have a healthy diet. And also what I found out which was a huge motivator was I found out what songs the girl that l had a huge crush on liked, and started running to that music.

fullmoonmidget

Postby fullmoonmidget » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 pm UTC

I feel ya, OP. I'm 4'11 with D's. Not excessively overweight, just a little over healthy. And I didn't gain that last cup until I started losing weight.

It's been said, but strength training might help. Otherwise, avoid pushups and invest in a good bra. Get it fit by a professional.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:52 am UTC

Keeping your back muscles strong will help keep you from getting back pain, so definitely keep up the strength training.

I don't know of any exercises that will reduce your bust size, but you could always wear a binder to make your breasts (much) less obvious, or as a less extreme option wear a very supportive sports bra. You should be able to find a good sports bra that will be comfortable to run in. I'm sorry I don't have any exercise solutions, but I think that clothes can get you the functional results you want, even if you can't change your body itself the way you want.

drkslvr

Postby drkslvr » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:08 am UTC

They taught us in pharm school that the easiest places too lose subcutaneous fat are the back of the arm and the chest. This is where it comes off first and fastest. For most women trying to lose weight, this is a problem. But for you, I think it might be the solution.
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

Return to “Fit Club”