Set and Reps

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Sonicle

Set and Reps

Postby Sonicle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

Is there any point of repeating sets in the one session? IE 3sets bicep, 3 triceps, situps. After situps would starting another 3set bicep be considered over working?

Solt

Re: Set and Reps

Postby Solt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

It really depends on your goals. I believe body builders actually like to get in like 9 sets per muscle. My personal philosophy is that if you can come back and do more sets, you didn't lift enough weight the first time. I'm also of the opinion that doing more sets at lower weight in order to reach fatigue doesn't really do anything in terms of increasing strength/muscle mass.

That's not to say it's completely useless. If you do compound exercises with barbells for your first 3 sets, then do a similar movement with dumbbells for another 3 sets, you will engage and work secondary muscles which can help you go up on the barbell exercises.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

caje

Postby caje » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

What are you trying to do? Look ripped with awesome peaks? Or be strong?

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:31 am UTC

Sonicle wrote:Is there any point of repeating sets in the one session?

Yes. Quoting Mark Rippetoe, from Starting Strength 2nd Ed:

"Multiple work sets cause the body to adapt to a larger volume of work, which comes in handy when training for sports performance. One school of thought holds that one work set, if done at high enough intensity, is sufficient to stimulate muscular growth. For novices, several problems with this approach immediately present themselves. First, inexperienced trainees do not yet know how to produce maximum intensity under the bar, and will not know how for quite some time. Second, if they don't know how to work at a very high intensity, more than one set will be necessary to provide sufficient stress to cause an adaptation to occur - one set will not provide enough. Third and most important, one intense set adapts the body to work hard for one intense set, since excercise, as we know, is extremely specific. Except for Sumo and a couple of others, sports do not usually involve one relatively brief intense effort, but generally involve repeated bouts of work. A sets-across routine more closely mimics the effort usually involved in sports, and is therefore more useful as a conditioning tool."

Note: The above assumes you're doing moderately high intensity and low reps, such as sets of 5.

IE 3sets bicep, 3 triceps, situps.

That sounds like a pretty terrible program. I suggest you do some reading on compound movements.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

Return to “Fit Club”