I am angry - yet another keeping-track-of-stuff-thread

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

KestrelLowing

Re: I am angry - yet another keeping-track-of-stuff-thread

Postby KestrelLowing » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:16 pm UTC

If you're looking for kind of a hybrid you could spring for trail running shoes. They're a bit stiffer than typical running shoes but much more flexible than standard hiking boots. Of course they're a bit more expensive than your typical New Balance running shoe, but something to look at.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:11 pm UTC

Ye, my current shoes are good enough.

So good thing: I've got a deal going with a guy which will give me access to the gym during summer if I want to. Don't have anyone to spar with, but at least have a place to go punch stuff and body-weight exercises.

Problem: My toes are currently a massive mess. I should take a longer break to allow them time to heal but...That means sitting still, I don't want to sit still. I've got running to do! But considering one of them has been bad for over 3 months, one of them is twice as big as it should be and a third is very blue and painful, I really should take a break.

So I'm thinking I'll take a few weeks now and work on upper-body strength while my toes heal. I don't have access to weight lifting equipment, but I've been really inspired lately to figure out how to do handstands and such so I think I'll be aiming at getting strong enough to do pushups from a headstand position. Problem is...how to get to that point? I can do pushups no problem, but I just can't get the balance right for a headstand, not to mention actually bending my arms while doing a headstand and getting up again. Probably would need to strengthen my back muscles to get the balance right, but how to do that without access to gear? The basic backflop doesn't really provide much strength-training.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:44 am UTC

handstand while leaning against a wall?

practice in a pool (maybe not with your toes)

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 am UTC

Kickboxing started earlier than expected after summer. Never been so close to throwing up from exertion before as I was yesterday. It was awesome. :D

they/them/theirs

Purky

Postby Purky » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:08 am UTC

Sessions like that are always awesome :)

Seems like you've made great progress over the past year and you're keeping the weight off, congrats!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 am UTC

I have a very concrete goal to work towards that is happening in January next year. If all our plans go through I'm going to need a lot of stamina. And potentially I might need to be strong enough to carry someone larger than me on my back for an extended trek. This might get interesting. Gonna keep up with kickboxing and running until the ice goes away, and then I'll start running outside again. Might possibly consider running with a backpack if I feel up for it. Holy kittens this is going to be hard if it goes through, but it definitely will be worth it.

Memo to self: Get good shoes and a bigger backpack.

they/them/theirs

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Hey squirrel :-) I don't know if you check this thread much but I'm curious as to how you handle eating. I feel shitty if I eat and shitty when I don't. I try keeping track because I know I eat very little in the scheme of things but whenever I do I go mad about it. It sounds like we have similar issues... And having met you I know our bodies are similar. I'd live any suggestions you might have? People tell me eat less and cardio more. I've lost capoeira which is bad. I can't run (bad ankles).
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Hiya Snugglybunny. It goes...up and down. Very variable depending on how I'm feeling that particular day. I too feel shitty when I eat and when I don't eat. Whatever I do it don't seem to ever be good enough. I eat something, I don't eat the right things. I eat the right things, I eat too much. I don't eat, that's wrong too. There seems to be no "right" when it comes to eating. So for my own sanity (and to keep from binging/purging/eating disorder hell), I've decided to not think about it anymore. It seems all to be based up on bullshit and personal anecdotes anyway, and since there's no winning, I might as well chose to not play. If everything you do regarding your diet makes you miserable, find the miserable you can live with (aka. eating stuff! You can't live of love and air alone no matter what Sonny & Cher claims).

So yea, currently, I make sure I get a minimum of one meal per day, most days I get two, a lot of the time I get none, I'm not a good example to go to when it comes to food as I'm very ill when it comes to my relationship with food. I do believe in balance in all things though. Sometimes the healthiest thing you do is to allow yourself to be unhealthy.

I work out a lot. 3 times a week in the winter, either kickboxing or rope jumping. More in the summer as then the snow and ice is gone and I can actually walk outside. Been a bit problematic lately due to a lot of shows going on (which is SO MUCH FUN), but I'm hoping to get things a bit more organized soonish.

Losing capoeira sucks. And not being able to run sucks as well (although running is booooring). Can you jump? Bike? Swim? Walk? Those are all good alternatives.

I believe (from what I've gathered through reading your posts all over the forum) that your focus might be a bit problematic. You're focusing a lot on what's wrong, aren't you? How your body don't measure up to what you feel it should be like? (I might be projecting) This is unhealthy. People who give you answers that starts with "just" as in "just eat less" "just work out more" are not people you should listen to, cause they don't know what they're talking about. Anyone who tells you the solution is simple are people who should learn to sit down, shut up and listen. Doctors are good for when you're sick or there's something physically wrong, but most doctors don't know shit about eating disorders, and thus they treat people with eating disorders, or show sings of eating disorders, in a way that makes me want to punch them (which I don't, cause therapy has thought me to only punch people who are wearing a mouth-guard), and from what I've read in your posts around here I worry that you might be skipping the edge of where you run into very destructive patterns and attitudes when it comes to food. By all means get they physical side checked out and force them to listen to you. But don't listen to them if they keep betraying that they don't really pay attention. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Anyways, that got a bit rambly.

Try to focus on what you can do. What makes you happy? What makes you feel better? Focusing on what you eat is clearly not working for you. So stop that. Eat what you feel you need to eat, and eat when you feel you need to eat (just remember to eat something). If you struggle with cravings this table is a good reference (but not a MUST FOLLOW). And as for activities, do what you enjoy doing and can do. You're still caving I assume? Keep doing it. If you can't run, walk. Walking is the best portal to adventures. If you feel you need more activities, try more activites, never say no to trying new things once (at least within this context). Stop looking at other people and use them as a measurement, start using yourself as a measurement. Are you doing better than last week? Last month? Last year? FUCK YEA.

Changes to your lifestyle that makes you miserable are not changes you're going to manage to support over long-term. So if you feel you need to make changes, find changes you can live with, experiment (within safe boundaries), greet everything with enthusiasm but don't worry about going "nope, not my thing" if you later find you don't like it.

they/them/theirs

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Thanks. That is helpful. I can walk I've started to do that almost every day. I don't have a bike. Weekends are my most active and based on many various calorie burn counters I easily burn 2000-3000 a weekend so I think I'm doing pretty good in the excercise department. When I don't fret about things is when I felt the best. But I'm around people who care about suck things and I'm always reminded of how I don't stack up (usually by no fault of theirs, it's just obvious - like when it takes me 5 min to figure out how to fit my hips through a crack in the rock or something.) I like healthy foods as much as I like unhealthy foods. So it's no trouble for me to eat well. And I rarely feel hunger so it's easy to not overeat. I just don't understand why it doesn't work and then I get obsessive and then...well yeah. I get uh, sick and stuff. :?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Spoiler'd overly preachy part. Ignore if you feel it does not apply to you.
Spoiler:
Whether it works or not is unimportant. You're healthy, no? Why do you need more? Why do you measure your own worth in how attractive other people might find you? You are more than your body. You are more than some arbitrary standard no one on the whole planet can live up to. You and me, we might never be able to live up to the whole "skinny beauty"-ideal. That don't mean anything. Our tummies might never be flat, our hips will never shrink so we can fit into the same crevices other people with other body types can. That don't matter. We're strong. You are strong. We might not believe it all the time. There's an evil voice in our head whispering otherwise to us both. But that voice needs to go sit in the corner and shut up, and we need to send it there, cause it is lying. You're fucking perfect, and don't you dare tell yourself otherwise.

Instead, answer me one thing. Why is this so important to you?

they/them/theirs

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 am UTC

I'm not sure why its become important as of late. I think it is a combination of having a fuckton of medical issues crashing down so when my body treats me so horribly it is very hard to see anything good in it and then further triggered by having some new closer friends who are very athletic training minded and feeling like I could never live up to their ideals. Note this isn't something they've imposed it's the situation and my perception.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Does anyone else get post-workout flu? If I have a day where I workout more than usual I get flu-symptoms the day after (sore throat, runny nose, heavy head, slight fever). It usually passes after a day or two so I'm not really worried about it, I just wonder if this is a common thing or not.

they/them/theirs

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

I used to sometimes get a mild sore throat etc. after deadlift days.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:21 am UTC

I did a whole bunch of "Re-check my max reps to fail" for some bar and BW exercises Wednesday night, worked out harder than I have in ages... and woke up Thursday with a cold that is lingering like hell. Grrr.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:18 am UTC

So apparently running through terrain is a fucktonne harder than running on paths.

I need to be able to be extremely explosive and on my toes for 3x3 minutes. So started interval running with those times, unfortunately that don't seem to translate directly into being able to be explosive for the same amount of time. But skipping rope for 3 minutes straight gets very distracting and repetative, same with just jumping or going against the bag. Ideally I'd find someone to spar with for the allocated time, but that requires another person and I just don't have that most of the time. So I suppose I'll stick to interval running, better than nothing I guess. Oh and I've worn out my shoes, again.

Oh yea, and I forgot what I was supposed to ask. Has anyone here tried out neopren socks? Are they worth the crazy amount of money they cost?

they/them/theirs

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

I swear by merino socks for running, if it helps. Neoprene sounds like a BAD idea.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

I generally just use cotton socks, but various athletic socks with more/less padding around different parts of your foot may be better for your needs. If you're doing a lot of trail running, cotton is probably not the way to go.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

I run a lot in places that are generally very cold and wet. I was recommended neoprene by a guy I know who runs in the same terrain, however he's also a massive gear-slave so I'm unsure how much faith I have in his advice.

they/them/theirs

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Not sure then. What are you worried about with neoprene? And MJs suggestion for Merino anything is probably sound; I have a Merino wool shirt that I've had for about 5 years that's fanfuckingtastic for rough weather stuff. That shits a miracle fiber.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Neoprene seems really good for keeping my feet warm, which is a very good thing, but on the other hand it costs a lot more than what I'm willing to pay for a pair of socks.

Edit: To elaborate, I expect to be involved in some activites as winter gets closer that involves sitting out in the middle of the woods for hours, then running around madly for a couple of hours, then having to sit around and wait for hours again and so on for a couple of days. I don't want my feet to get cold during that, but there will be downtime, and there won't be shelter available.

they/them/theirs

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

I have a neoprene wrist brace, and my only impression of it is "OH MY GOD MY HAND IS SO SWEATY IT FEELS LIKE IT LIVES IN A PRIVATE SWAMP". The idea of SOCKS that do that totally squicks me out. If they have some sort of moisture-control and they work for you, though, then I can't deny they ARE very warm and good for winter.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 pm UTC

Late to the talk but neoprene socks...depends? Are your feet getting wet and cold? If so, yes. If not, no. Wool if you just want a good running sock.

For neoprene get fleece-lined neoprene. I know you aren't in the US, but look online, I can get them here for as little as $10-$12. Not from fancy stores, but it's the same shit. Same deal for wool socks. Fuck paying $20 a pair. I get 3 pairs for $7 at Costco.

Also, hope you are doing well Squirrel =) I haven't managed to really lose anything and I stopped keeping track for a long time and only just started back up again as I'm trying something new and want to track things for a bit.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:32 am UTC

Wet and cold yes, that's practically the default state of this entire city.

And yes, I'm good. Regained all the weight I'd lost but I've decided to not give a toss. I can live with pain, I can't live with hating myself. I mainly focus on enjoying myself these days, I run because I like chasing things, I do kickboxing cause it feels good. I eat what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it, and I deal with intense backpain by complaining loudly.

Good luck with your new thing. Anything you want to share?

they/them/theirs

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:45 am UTC

Yey shark week arriving the day before a competition. Woopteedo. Totally not bitter at all.

they/them/theirs

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:03 am UTC

Weighting in at 77 kg. Totally not nervous.

they/them/theirs

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:06 am UTC

Good luck! What weight class are you competing in?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Good luck! What weight class are you competing in?

Uh, that depends a lot on who's hosting the matches. But I'm supposed to be around middleweight at -75kg. Went a bit above this time, but local match so they overlooked the two extra kg.

Anyways, I won! Woopwoop!

they/them/theirs

Samik

Postby Samik » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

Congratulations. Your nerves of steel tipped the scales in your favor, I'm sure :D

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:54 am UTC

Excellent!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:35 am UTC

I'm terrified of fighting anyone in my weight class :oops: YOU ROCK

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:29 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I'm terrified of fighting anyone in my weight class :oops: YOU ROCK

It help that kickboxers, at least around here, are generally REALLY nice and supportive. Also there were these two girls (around 4-5 years old I think) who had decided before the matches that they were going to "own" each corner and whoever got the most wins to their corner won something (I really don't know what), and they were superexcited after every match and celebrated wildly. It was quite fun.

they/them/theirs

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:17 pm UTC

Awesome. :) Half of the competitive fighters I've met up here are super-nice (like the 17 year old amateur boxer who DESTROYED my left side, and apologized every time) and half of them are super-dicks (like the chiropractic student and 1-0 thai boxer who thought 'back and forth sparring' meant 'rip the other guys f***ing ears off). It makes me nervous.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:54 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Awesome. :) Half of the competitive fighters I've met up here are super-nice (like the 17 year old amateur boxer who DESTROYED my left side, and apologized every time) and half of them are super-dicks (like the chiropractic student and 1-0 thai boxer who thought 'back and forth sparring' meant 'rip the other guys f***ing ears off). It makes me nervous.

Yea, unfortunately there's always some super-dicks around. I usually fix them by going into extreme turtle double-guard mode, and waiting for a chance to place a nice front kick in their face, that usually calms people down. Or you know, when they are a lot better than me, I call time out and refuse to spar with them. Which I guess is considered not being "tough enough" but fuck it, I'm not risking my health just cause they've got something to prove.

they/them/theirs

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:40 am UTC

So, new competition on the 29th of March. This time they'll be stricter on weight-class restrictions, so going for -75kg by then. I suppose I should start by finding a scale and see what I'm currently at, or I could gamble that just being generally healthy and strict about portion-sizes will be enough. Just got home from a 10ish day hiking trip so I'm probably a bit lighter than I was at the last competition, but my technique might have potentially suffered a bit. Oh well, I'll figure it out as I go along, training today will give me a pointer on where to start I guess.

they/them/theirs

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Re: me is angry - yet another keeping-track-of-stuff-thread

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:43 pm UTC

Weighting in at 74.9 kg for today's competition. Woopwoop! Got my ass kicked and was fed waffles, best day ever!

they/them/theirs

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

Next competition is on the 1st of May, out of town. Participating in -75kg-class. Just realized that is next week, oh boy.

I'm trying to find the right amount of tranining to do. And also what to eat to recover. I was recommended milk, but as I'm lactose intolerant that is not a good plan.

Can't go training monday, but tuesday and wedensday are available days, unsure if I should go both days or allow myself a day of rest.

they/them/theirs

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:47 am UTC

Seriously AngrySquirrel, on your picture on the right FAID thread you look beautiful. You have a nice balance in weight. You should know that not all men like skeletons.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:18 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Seriously AngrySquirrel, on your picture on the right FAID thread you look beautiful. You have a nice balance in weight. You should know that not all men like skeletons.

Yea...no....no you're not getting it at all.

they/them/theirs

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Seriously AngrySquirrel, on your picture on the right FAID thread you look beautiful. You have a nice balance in weight. You should know that not all men like skeletons.

Yea...no....no you're not getting it at all.

In that case: sorry.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:58 pm UTC

I'm not sure how you decided that looking good for men was high on AngrySquirrel's priority list, given that she never mentioned it in this thread. Indeed, she explicitly started this thread discussing her desire to lose weight as part of a strategy to deal with specific medical issues.

Your assumption, in direct contradiction to AngrySquirrel's actual words, comes across as basically saying "the only reason women should care about their weight, eating and exercise is so that they can be attractive for men." I'm guessing (hoping?) that this was not your intent, but you still came across as quite sexist.

Return to “Fit Club”