Summer Mile Time Reduction Challenge!

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

freakish777

Re: Summer Mile Time Reduction Challenge!

Postby freakish777 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:You don't do that by running 4x400 at a 10m pace, and then 2x400 at a 3m pace, you do that by running 2x100, 2x200, 2x400, 4x200, 2x800, 2x200, 2x100, all at your designated pace. Your 'up the effort' comes by dropping rest between sets, but it's important to maintain your pace.

I agree that you wouldn't ever want to train for the mile by consistently doing a slower pace (though doing a slower pace for an extended distance one or two days a week is good for building stamina). Think of the "upping the effort" (percentage-wise of your 400) each set as similar to your "do a 400 in 1 minute to get accustomed to running a 4 minute mile pace" where 4 minute mile pace is your target (and you currently run slower than that).

BRNMan

Postby BRNMan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

Samik wrote:Treadmill running is good because it's easier on the knees/shins, and if you're paying for a gym membership and not using it, that needles at you in and of itself. Combine that with the principle of modest intensity, and you'll downright hate yourself whenever you don't go.

But isn't treadmill running much more boring? I would much rather be outside where there is at least scenery. It feels like you are running for a lot longer on a treadmill too. Even when you are watching a movie or something at the gym, I don't really enjoy it fully because i'm tired because of the running.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

BRNMan wrote:But isn't treadmill running much more boring? I would much rather be outside where there is at least scenery. It feels like you are running for a lot longer on a treadmill too. Even when you are watching a movie or something at the gym, I don't really enjoy it fully because i'm tired because of the running.

It's fair to say that it really depends on the person. I run outside, I run on my treadmill. After a mile or so on my treadmill, I can get into this meditative zone for minutes on end where all I notice is my breathing. Plus, the view out my window is better than about half of the mileage available to me outside. That said, I also find I push myself a bit more outside because, well, I don't want to look slow. And, I much prefer real terrain (although, the only thing practical around here for most of my run is running on cement sidewalks).

Back to the original thread! 12 minute for a mile at the start of February (and a mile was pretty much what I could run without taking a break). Currently down to 7:30 for 1 mile, 9:30min/mile for 5k, 9:48min/mile for 5.5 miles. Goal is maybe aggressive, but I want to hit a 24 minute 5k. Running my first 5k at the end of the month and results last year showed a 22:51 won my age group last year (30-39 male) and 15:50 won overall (smaller 5k race I'm thinking).

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm UTC

webzter_again wrote:Back to the original thread! 12 minute for a mile at the start of February (and a mile was pretty much what I could run without taking a break). Currently down to 7:30 for 1 mile, 9:30min/mile for 5k, 9:48min/mile for 5.5 miles. Goal is maybe aggressive, but I want to hit a 24 minute 5k. Running my first 5k at the end of the month and results last year showed a 22:51 won my age group last year (30-39 male) and 15:50 won overall (smaller 5k race I'm thinking).

Your goal for a 24 minute 5k is very attainable, even with your "slow" mile time. You won't get there overnight, but you should aim to have that goal accomplished in the next 2 months. Typically, take your mile time, add 1 minute to it then multiple by 3 and that's roughly your 5k time (for amateurs).

Maybe just your age bracket was small at the 5k you're headed to? 15:50 is a respectable 5k time (assuming there's nothing to run for aside from your pride/ego) so long as you aren't talking about NCAA Division I.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 pm UTC

freakish777 wrote:Maybe just your age bracket was small at the 5k you're headed to? 15:50 is a respectable 5k time (assuming there's nothing to run for aside from your pride/ego) so long as you aren't talking about NCAA Division I.

Combination of things I think. Last year's overall winner for another local 5k that ran at the start of the month was 13:50. However, this one is a 5k/10k and I have a feeling the more competitive runners are in the 10k.

I've started Bridge to 10k (interval-based training similar to C25k) to up my endurance. However, I might only do that one or two days a week and work on tempo runs the other days. I know I can comfortably hit 30 minutes my first time out, which I'd be happy enough with, but I'm really going to shoot for 27 minutes. nothing impressive, but I think not bad for my fist time.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:04 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno on May 16th, 2012 wrote:9 minutes even.

8min 30sec!

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:22 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:8min 30sec!

:)

Get to 8 by the end of the summer?

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

Another good goal would be to run 3 miles in 28ish minutes (you might find this way too easy, or you might find it way too difficult, all depends on if you're accustomed to going for 3 miles or not).

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

That is my goal for the six weeks AFTER. I have a 3 mile / 5 kilometer route worked out, but my endurance is still terrible. Doing a lot of jogging and treadmill work just to build my ability.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:21 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:That is my goal for the six weeks AFTER. I have a 3 mile / 5 kilometer route worked out, but my endurance is still terrible. Doing a lot of jogging and treadmill work just to build my ability.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-train ... ng-easier/

I run on a treadmill for quite a few of my runs too. You might find this article interesting. tl;dr version: Running on a treadmill is biomechanically different, feels harder and is easier. To offset part of it, set your treadmill at a 1% incline to better match the effort expended running outside.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

I think it's at 2%. I'm pretty much just doing speed walking / light jogging on there, I'm WAY too big to run an actual run on it. I would crush it like a tin can.

EDIT: Also, it's not the kind that moves when you're not on it, it's the kind of treadmill that you have to MAKE move by setting the slope and actually walking it. Then setting more resistance with some sort of magnet doodad.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:46 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno on June 21st, 2012 wrote:8min 30sec!
8min 19sec!

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno on June 21st, 2012 wrote:8min 30sec!
8min 19sec!

You have 3 weeks to cut 19 seconds! Work hard.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

Well you know what they say, No Guts, No Galaxy.

(and by they, I mean Mechwarriors)

SpaceFrank

Postby SpaceFrank » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

The last mile I ran was something like 8:34, which included a ~100m stint of walking toward the end. That was some time in the spring, after a long hiatus from any kind of regular exercise. I've been doing crossfit since then, which doesn't usually involve running more than 400m at a time, but I know my endurance has improved. I need to see where I am now; I'm sure I'm under 8:00, but I'd like to break 7:00.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:13 am UTC

I just ran my first 5K (3 mile).

31:44

Approx 10:35 per mile.

Not bad for three in a row!

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I just ran my first 5K (3 mile).

31:44

Approx 10:35 per mile.

Not bad for three in a row!

Good!

Did you get to 8 minutes even on your mile yet?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

That's huge MJ, good job.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

5K time: 30:40.

1 mile time: 8:04.

DAMMIT! SO! CLOSE! AUGH!

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:1 Mile Time: 7:58

Congrats!!!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:54 am UTC

And my Five-K / 3 Mile: 29:15

Holy flarking schnitt.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:47 pm UTC

That's a huge improvement man, you should be proud.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

It's a combination of nice new running shoes (actual shoes MEANT for running), getting better at pacing, and being able to push myself just a tiny bit if I feel like my pace is too slow. Just slightly bigger strides, knock five seconds off of one leg of my run, etc. It's pretty cool! Dunno if I can get much faster than this, both my current one mile and 5K times nearly blew out a lung.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

Yeah it's funny how all those things actually matter. You might be at the point where the only way to reduce your time is by reducing your overall weight. I'm fairly top heavy right now from rock climbing, and that makes for poor distance running.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

Yeah, weight is still the primary concern.

Says the man who just ate bacon and pancakes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

Well, you can totes get away with eating what you want, you just need the activity level to match. And maybe dial it down from the tenth pancake. Id rather eat 'mostly' right with high activity than diet with lower activity. Cheeseburgers are neccessities, not luxuries.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:29 pm UTC

I stopped at three pancakes, one plate. :) I have gotten really good about not having seconds anymore, and I spend ten hours a day outside on a barbecue, so I am still losing weight, but I need to lay off the fat and sugar.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 am UTC

Five-K Time: 28:29

My son says I should just set a goal of 25 minutes and stop acting so surprised.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Wow, reading this thread for the first time was really inspiring, especially MJ's dramatic improvement. You guys have inspired me to do something similar after I run a half-marathon in a few weeks. Hopefully more people will join?
lol everything matters
-Ed

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

I'm half-marathoning in April. :D WOO! Glad you're here!

Samik

Postby Samik » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:47 am UTC

My all-time best mile on a treadmill is 5:53, acquired some many years ago. I don't know what my best time on any other surface is. I run at a 1% grade, which I have read is plenty to more or less reduce any other advantage factors to not-worth-worrying-about levels.

The number of times in my life I've gone sub 6:00 I can count on one hand.

I've been advised a few times to try interval training, and made a note to eventually get around to it, but never did.

For the past few weeks I've been doing intervals on the elliptical, 2min low, 2min high, 5 cycles, 20min total, as hard as I possibly can go on the high parts. I haven't run pretty much at all in many months. (Maybe 20 miles total in the last 5 months?)

I got on a treadmill yesterday for the first time in ages, and knocked out a 5:56.

And it was trivially easy. Trivially. I was not even close to as winded as I am after the treadmill interval sessions. I probably could have done a mile and a half at that pace, if there was something at stake (being my first time out in a long time, I decided not to push my luck). I definitely could have cleanly thrashed my 5:53 had I known from the start how it was going to go.

I then promptly twerked* my back stretching, and so will be out of commission for a little bit. Of course. That's just how I roll: two steps forward, one step back.

But, I'm pumped! I suddenly see a clear path to my lifetime goal of 5:30, and possibly beyond.

*(Is it mod madness again already, or is that a permanent substitution?)

Samik

Postby Samik » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:40 pm UTC

Well, since that post, I lost a lot of time. My back pull was much worse than I thought at first - I woke up the next morning essentially immobile, lost a week of work, and didn't make it back to the gym for a while after that. Then, I came down with the a serious case of the flu and missed more time, and lost a lot of weight (which for me is bad - I don't have much to lose). What else is new. Ten steps forward, nine steps back.

Only was able to really start getting active again in March, but I'm beginning to catch back up to the groove I was in before everything went sideways.

Gonna make another attempt at the mile here in a few days. Maybe Tuesday, if everything goes well on tomorrow's workout. I'm making this post to hold myself to it. If there are nothing but crickets in this space in a month's time, then this post is a monument to my failure for all who pass.

Update: I suck and do not appear poised to hit any kind of personal best in the immediate future. Still running though. Just, have to be stubborn, and not take the deterioration of my body lying down...

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:02 am UTC

Since I last posted in this I figured out I had very low iron and that was hurting performance. I've back to normal iron levels for almost 2 years now but still trying to work towards my old PRs.

I recently got a running backpack so I can run-commute to and from work and get more miles in that way.
lol everything matters
-Ed

Samik

Postby Samik » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:19 am UTC

Followup to last year's saga:

Shortly after that last post I shifted gears to trail work as I started to make plans for a summer of backpacking. In one sense (the sense of lugging myself and a pack up and down mountains), I got in without question the best shape of my life over the summer - by the end of it, my daily elevation / mileage capacities were easily the best they've ever been.

When I came back to sea level after a season mostly above 8,000ft, I had the usual altitude superpowers and tied my personal best 5:53 on my second day back no sweat. Then started up work and predictably fell off again.

Now I'm getting back in it, but again plan to emphasize hills and trail running instead road running.

Despite coming so close a few times recently, it seems like that that 5:53 may stand for a while yet, as I just don't see myself prioritizing speed (such as it is) again in the near future.

But, I didn't want to leave it as a "monument to my failure for all who pass", because I have "done good" in other areas in the meantime.

Return to “Fit Club”