Too Fat

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Too Fat

Postby superglucose » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Alright I'm going to be keeping track of my calories and progress here because I've decided that I am way too fat.

Height: 5'8"
Current Weight: 170 lbs (ewww)
Goal Weight : 140 lbs (a bit on the skinny side but I'd rather be down there)

Plan: 1500 calorie days along with 30 minutes light activity (walking) in addition to whatever I do for work (I work standing up and while the labor isn't particularly intensive, it is there). During the fall I will bump my caloric intake to 2000 and begin working out more strenuously.
Spoiler:
Day 1:
Breakfast: 2 servings of Honey Bunches of Oats with 1 servings of 2% (I love me some 2%)
Calories: 380

Lunch:
6" Black Forest Ham from subway with Olives, Mayo, Bread, etc.
Calories: 350

Dinner: 2 hotdogs with ketchup and mustard on buns.
Calories: 560

Total: 1390

I drank a lot last night so I'm going to cut out 250 calories (if possible) from today. I also made sure to walk extra. Not sure exactly how much I had though...

I ended up doing a 40 minute walk, a 10 minute walk, and then a 30 minute walk... plus I had 70 calories over.

Day 2:

Breakfast: homemade meatball sub with 4 meatballs, kaiser roll, and pasta sauce.
Calories: 633 (a little high but mmmm)

Dinner: homemade meatball sub with 4 meatballs, kaiser roll, and pasta sauce.
Calories: 633 (a little high but mmmm)

Total: 1266 + N where N is an unknown quantity of alcohol.

Day 3:
Breakfast: 2 snickerdoodles. Not healthy but I was in a rush and they were free. Beats a donut by a large margin.
Calories: 280

Lunch: Ham sammich with some tortilla chips and salsa. Saving up for a night out, as it were :wink:
Calories: 520

Dinner: Spicy Pork Noodle (going to call this slightly more calories than pad thai, the dish it's mainly based off of), 16 oz Fat Tire, 3 thai iced teas, 1 single cream cheese wonton (it was a night out).
Total: 1865...365 over. I'll bike 45 minutes tonight in addition to my usual walk to make up for that.

Day 4: breakfast: 2 servings honey nut cheroes with 1 serving of milk, cup of tea with a splash of milk and honey.
Calories: 380

Lunch: 500 calories of subway sub

Dinner: 500 calories of subway sub
200 calories for Honeydew Shake
200 calories for BEER!

Total: 1780

Day 5: Breakfast: meatball sammich, 633 calories

Lunch: Hotdog, 240 calories.

Dinner: some applebee's stuff probably totaling 1k calories.

Total: 1870 :(

Day 6: Breakfast: Homebrew pasta concoction, 500 calories (give or take).

Lunch: Buffalo wings, 500 calories (more or less). Man that pasta sure did keep me over, I wasn't even hungry at that point and am still not particularly hungry.
Last edited by superglucose on Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:34 am UTC, edited 11 times in total.

Nath

Re: Too Fat

Postby Nath » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Good luck! Are you looking mainly for support or advice? Or a bit of both?

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:46 am UTC

All of the above plus a place where I can be accountable to myself.

Yell at me hard if my daily calories dip below 1300 and/or my BMI (calculated weekly) drops below 19% please... I don't wanna develop an eating disorder here, I just wanna lose some of these extra pounds.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 am UTC

In that case, I'll point out that 1500 is a kind of a low target; your maintenance intake is probably over 2000, so 1700 or so is probably more reasonable. For the weight to stay off, sudden, drastic changes tend not to work so well. It can help to just eat normally for a few days, keep detailed logs (e.g. using FitDay), and then aim for ~300 fewer calories.

Other thoughts: sugary cereal is pretty useless. Hot dogs are surprisingly low in protein. I don't see any foliage other than what's on the sandwich (though that's not really a problem unless this is how you eat every day). The other problem with such a refined-carb-heavy diet is that you'll be hungry more often. Replacing the honey bunches with oatmeal and/or eggs will keep you full longer: those are both very filling foods given how few calories they contain.

But good call avoiding soda and juice.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:33 am UTC

If you're going to go the calorie-counting route, then I highly suggest using MyFitnessPal to track your daily intake.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Other thoughts: sugary cereal is pretty useless. Hot dogs are surprisingly low in protein. I don't see any foliage other than what's on the sandwich (though that's not really a problem unless this is how you eat every day). The other problem with such a refined-carb-heavy diet is that you'll be hungry more often. Replacing the honey bunches with oatmeal and/or eggs will keep you full longer: those are both very filling foods given how few calories they contain.

The reason I eat hot dogs is because I can get a lot of them for literally dirt cheap. Same reason I eat Ramen. I can't afford better food... and Honey Bunches of Oats is pretty much my treat.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:18 am UTC

Ah, yeah. If you have a freezer, one option is to buy and cook larger amounts of non-hot-dog food. I get large bags of cheap frozen chicken pieces (thighs usually), simmer them in stock, shred, and stir-fry with some flavorful sauce. Throw in some frozen vegetables and you've got a nutritious, cheap, reasonably tasty meal. The downside is that it takes some time for the frozen chicken to cook through, though you don't really need to watch it while it's simmering.

Treats are important, but either their frequency or portions need to be controlled. 60g of Honey Bunches a day means a large fraction of your calorie intake is sugary crap.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

(thighs usually)

If you hold out for sales, thighs can be had for less than a dollar a pound. Keep an eye out and buy in bulk. Cheapest stuff of course will need either immediate cooking or freezing, but it's nothing a little planning can't solve. I also highly suggest oats. Standard, quaker, rolled oats. Arguably cheaper than hot dogs and healthier too.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Spase_Elevator

Postby Spase_Elevator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:38 am UTC

I admire the initiative so far. Just don't be so hard on yourself. Your weight isn't so bad and you will lose it as long as you don't quit.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

good work SuperG

i notice you eat a lot of breads and other high carb things, i can't see a lot of meals you have had that didn't involve bread. i don't pretend to know much about fitness or health, but i was always under the impression that unless you are leading a very active lifestyle you should try to avoid too many calories as carbohydrates, and try to eat more calories as protein, i remember from biology classes something about it being 30% less efficient as a source of energy than carbs, but also difficult to turn into fat, which carbs are easy to turn into fats.
i can't remember all the ins and outs, but it might be something worth looking into.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

You need some more vegetables. A lot. You can get frozen bags of broccoli and peas pretty damn cheaply...
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Sofie

Postby Sofie » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

superglucose wrote:All of the above plus a place where I can be accountable to myself.

Well then, I'd suggest having a look at these:
http://www.modernpaleo.com/principles.html
http://www.archevore.com/get-started/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/archives/
http://wellnessmama.com/2151/how-to-eat ... ving-tips/

Also, when it comes to cost, remember that you're buying energy & nutrients, not just stuff to stick in your mouth. When you're eating denser food, you don't need to eat as much - for example, around here a litre of light milk costs 14 kr, while 1 kg butter costs 24 kr. The milk contains 460 calories, while the butter contains 7460 calories. So buying milk you get 32.8 calories/kr, while butter gives 310.8 calories/kr - WAY more efficient. Of course, it's hard to calculate nutrients this way, but if you get some vegetables & meat each day that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Dirkas

Postby Dirkas » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:00 pm UTC

In order to burn the fat you need to eat the green vegetables in your diet plan. Green vegetables are very much effective to reduce the body weight and also prevent from many diseases.

Return to “Fit Club”