BIKE 10,000 miles

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

EvilDuckie

Re: BIKE 10,000 miles

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Ouch, hope it's all healed soon.

7141 + 18 + 18 + 15 = 7192

Not a whole lot of riding this past week. I did get a ride in very early on saturday morning (like 7 am), was trying to do that before breakfast, supposedly that's good for fat burn, but my body was like "oh no you don't...". Another 18 miles on sunday to watch the local crit and then a commute today (with the long way back).
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

no miles right now, but hopping on the bike after work. was up til like 11 last night getting my bikes rear wheel fixed, rebalanced, did some R&R on the rear bearings, and its all road ready. properly aired up the tires as well. on the short stint around the block, everything on the bike feels better, i guess i must have had some serious spoke problems.

come to think of it, i should pull the front and do some working over on its bearings and spokes before hitting the pavement.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:57 am UTC

Did a nice long ride yesterday, so 7192 + 52 = 7244

Lots of wind, primarily headwinds for the first hour and 45 minutes. I did reasonably well in those except for the last couple of miles of that stretch, an exposed causeway leading up to a high bridge. For those of you who are interested, that's this bit right here. After that with the tailwinds my speed picked up considerably but unfortunately I broke a spoke with still 20-odd miles to go. Wobble wasn't too bad though and I still managed to keep a decent speed up.

Other things happening on the ride: several large suicidal bugs (bumblebees, butterflies), 3 German bikepacking tourists who didn't know where they were going and 1 middle finger from the guy who was upset with me indicating that I was upset with him taking the inner curve (and probably going too fast). I really ought to see if I can avoid that particular spot, it's not the first time that that's happened.
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

saturday: 7

today: 6

7244 + 7 + 6 = 7,257

woooo really rollin now.

hurt my ankle pretty good this weekend jumping on a pillar (stupid i know) so kinda taking it easy, hopefully doing longer stuff soon.

Sebastiaan

Postby Sebastiaan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:
7244 + 7 + 6 = 7,257

Last week was a slow week, vacation with the girlfriend. This week I'm slowly starting up again.

7257 + 6 (last week) + 11 (Sunday) + 28 (yesterday) = 7302

I've got another ride planned for today, probably slightly longer than yesterday as it includes some additional uphill sprint intervals on the only "hill" road worth mentioning here in the dunes along the coast.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

7302 + 40 = 7342

Doing a bike ride with the business-bike club I'm a member of on saturday. Since I made some suggestions for the shortest of the 3 routes planned for that day, they decided I could lead that group (brave? foolish? we'll see...). So I'm set to guide a number (don't know how many yet, but it's probably going to be a small group) of people for a 60 km ride at 25 km/h. Decided it'd be wise to recon the route today and sure enough, I need to make one or two changes to avoid some bad and/or private roads.
Quack!

Sebastiaan

Postby Sebastiaan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:7302 + 40 = 7342

Doing a bike ride with the business-bike club I'm a member of on saturday. Since I made some suggestions for the shortest of the 3 routes planned for that day, they decided I could lead that group (brave? foolish? we'll see...). So I'm set to guide a number (don't know how many yet, but it's probably going to be a small group) of people for a 60 km ride at 25 km/h. Decided it'd be wise to recon the route today and sure enough, I need to make one or two changes to avoid some bad and/or private roads.

Sounds like fun and it's probably going to be alright. Do you want to have an average speed of 25 km/h or a 25 km/h cruising speed? If you want to average 25 km/h, you should probably keep the pace at about 27-28 km/h.

I did my uphill sprint interval training today, but it did not really go as planned. I had a collision with a kid, aged about 8 or 9, while riding at relatively low speed (~24 km/h). He was half walking/half running on a pedestrian path alongside the bike lane, but suddenly turned on the bike lane about one to two meters in front of me. I was actually already slowing down as I did not trust the situation, his family was walking on the left side of the bike lane in stead of on the pedestrian path on the right. I hit the brakes in a reflex, unable to steer away or even yell, and everything turned out relatively okay. The kid hit the side of my bike and hurt his knee, but nothing serious. I managed to stay upright and, barring some minor scratches, my bike was fine too. However, psychologically speaking, I was pretty shaken, so I decided to to take the shortest way home.

So my training was not as long as I hoped, but I still managed to put in 44 km = 27 miles.

7342 + 27 = 7369

QED-1

Postby QED-1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:22 am UTC

7369 + 8 + 8 + 18 = 7403
Tomlidich the second wrote:i messed my knee up good by going down hard in a corner, i was pushing about 20 mph, hit a puddle, bike slid out from under me, and all my body weight went into my knee cap. completely shattered everything in there, tore up tissue, couldn't walk for better part of a year.

Wow, that's terrible. Sounds like you're much better now if you can ride so much. I chose biking because I heard it's a low-impact exercise. And it is, until you fall. I'm healing, scrape by elbow is sensitive, 'tis all. I did go to the beach a couple days ago and it scraped my scab off. I don't think it's become infected, I think the beach may have done it good...

EvilDuckie wrote: For those of you who are interested, that's this bit right here.

Nice! I like it, looks like you have a nice view.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Sebastiaan wrote:Sounds like fun and it's probably going to be alright. Do you want to have an average speed of 25 km/h or a 25 km/h cruising speed? If you want to average 25 km/h, you should probably keep the pace at about 27-28 km/h.

Average speed 25 km/h, my usual averages are a bit higher (26-28) but since this particular route has a couple of difficult points crossing major roads in confusing situations I think it's going to be difficult maintaining 25 average with a 28 cruising speed. The last miles before the coffee break (and after it since we take the same road back out of the woods) are on a narrow strip of tarmac by the side of a dirt road, so if there's other cyclists we'll have to slow right down. My average yesterday was 25.3 (although that did include some stopping, map checking and backtracking)

Good to hear nobody got hurt when the kid hit you. I hope the family didn't yell at you or anything.
Quack!

Sebastiaan

Postby Sebastiaan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:
Average speed 25 km/h, my usual averages are a bit higher (26-28) but since this particular route has a couple of difficult points crossing major roads in confusing situations I think it's going to be difficult maintaining 25 average with a 28 cruising speed. The last miles before the coffee break (and after it since we take the same road back out of the woods) are on a narrow strip of tarmac by the side of a dirt road, so if there's other cyclists we'll have to slow right down. My average yesterday was 25.3 (although that did include some stopping, map checking and backtracking)

Sounds like you've got everything covered. Good luck and have fun!

EvilDuckie wrote:Good to hear nobody got hurt when the kid hit you. I hope the family didn't yell at you or anything.

No, it was pretty obvious that I could very little about it. Everything happened so fast, I did not even have time to think, only to brake in a reflex. Luckily, there was hardly any damage done, the kid was scared of course, so it could have been much worse. It's a pretty busy bike lane, so the family probably regretted their "decision" to walk on the bike lane instead of the parallel pedestrian lane, as the kid originally was. He was probably just crossing over to them, running without much thought to his family.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Sebastiaan wrote:
EvilDuckie wrote:

Sounds like you've got everything covered. Good luck and have fun!

EvilDuckie wrote:Good to hear nobody got hurt when the kid hit you. I hope the family didn't yell at you or anything.

No, it was pretty obvious that I could very little about it. Everything happened so fast, I did not even have time to think, only to brake in a reflex. Luckily, there was hardly any damage done, the kid was scared of course, so it could have been much worse. It's a pretty busy bike lane, so the family probably regretted their "decision" to walk on the bike lane instead of the parallel pedestrian lane, as the kid originally was. He was probably just crossing over to them, running without much thought to his family.

grrr trips on the beach are always a little aggravating wth people who walk in the quite clearly designated bike only lane. i mean they even have a pedestrian walkway next to it, but insist on blocking the whole road.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:22 am UTC

7403 + 30 = 7433

Went on my first long bike ride back home. I'm so used to being able to ride 30 miles and still be in the same town. It was odd riding out in the country and even visiting another town while on my ride.

Route and statistics
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Sebastiaan

Postby Sebastiaan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:7403 + 30 = 7433

Went on my first long bike ride back home. I'm so used to being able to ride 30 miles and still be in the same town. It was odd riding out in the country and even visiting another town while on my ride.

Route and statistics

Seems like a nice ride. What do you use for your statistics? Is it an app or a designated device? I'm currently using a Polar cs500x, a heritage from my more active cycling life, but I don't have the corresponding GPS-transmitter to be able to record my routes or use websites like Strava. I'm considering to buy it as a reward if I manage to keep up my current training schedule, as I do not have s smartphone with GPS (or smartphone without GPS, for that matter).

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

7433 + 45 = 7478

The ride went well, I ended up guiding 4 other people around, including 2 who were recovering from various injuries. One guy, former pro, had suffered a nasty fall 2 months ago: broken collarbone, cracked ribs, collapsed lung. This was his 2nd time on the bike since the accident (with his collarbone still not fixed by the way, they didn't want to put him under anesthetic what with the lung) and he was glad the ride wasn't any longer because his shoulder started bothering him a few miles before the coffee-stop halfway. Everybody seemed happy with the route I had planned and my guidance.
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

Sebastiaan wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:7403 + 30 = 7433

Route and statistics

Seems like a nice ride. What do you use for your statistics? Is it an app or a designated device? I'm currently using a Polar cs500x, a heritage from my more active cycling life, but I don't have the corresponding GPS-transmitter to be able to record my routes or use websites like Strava. I'm considering to buy it as a reward if I manage to keep up my current training schedule, as I do not have s smartphone with GPS (or smartphone without GPS, for that matter).

I use the Runkeeper app on my iPhone and a Wahoo BlueHR chest strap.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:46 am UTC

7433 + 34 = 7467

Route and statistics

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:Route and statistics

Ah, I've been to your general neck of the woods a few years ago, driving up from St Louis to southern Minnesota. A full day of undulating unchanging landscape, driving mostly off major highways.

Anyway, yesterday's ride: 7467 + 34 = 7501.

Lots of wind, that's nice if it's a tailwind, I broke PR's on almost all eastbound Strava segments I passed. But of course what goes up must come down again and I had my fair share of headwinds too. Wind, the Dutch Mountains...
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

im WAY behind, so bear with me here:
tuesday: 5

thursday: 7

saturday: 7

today: 11

7501 + 5 + 7 + 7 + 11 = 7531

i need some more long distance runs, and need to get back to going daily, or at least more regularyl, i have been slacking.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:07 am UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:Route and statistics

Ah, I've been to your general neck of the woods a few years ago, driving up from St Louis to southern Minnesota. A full day of undulating unchanging landscape, driving mostly off major highways.

The Avenue of the Saints used to go through my hometown, but they widened Iowa Highway 27 to four lanes and now that's the official route.

QED-1

Postby QED-1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:05 am UTC

7531 + 25 + 10 + 7 = 7573

Moved to university and biking there, a little harder to gauge miles.

Sebastiaan

Postby Sebastiaan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Only two trips this week:

7573 + 28 + 45 = 7646

(and a correction: I don't own a Polar cs-500x but a Polar cs-600x)

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

7646 + 42 = 7688

Nice ride today, albeit a bit drizzly. The kind of rain that gets you wet, but isn't enough to warrant stopping and putting on a rain jacket. Wish I'd brought overshoes though, the last few miles were on a really wet road and my shoes were soaked.
Quack!

DanD

Postby DanD » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

So, I'm new to the thread, but if we tack in my miles since the thread was created (I use Map My Ride to track, so all real mileage), I can tip it over the edge. Up to you guys if you want to allow it.

If so:
7688 + 3288 = 10976

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Welcome!

So what do we do now that we've reached 10000? Just keep going?
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Honestly, I don't know if I'm comfortable with tacking on that many miles at once, especially with no prior participation. But it isn't my thread, so it really isn't up to me. That's just how I feel.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

well, if its actual, confirmable miles you have done since creation date, i shall allow it.

so we reached it guys! 10,000!.

im not sure what to do now. set the clock to zero and try to hit the 10k again? maybe edit OP with tally marks or something.

edit: forgot that OP was my other account which i cant get into.
dammit.

QED-1

Postby QED-1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

And I quote:
Tomlidich the second wrote:
EvilDuckie wrote:Ugh, seems my last post her was a year and a half ago... I have been cycling since then, quite a lot too, but somehow it doesn't feel right adding those in retroactively (for one, it would almost double the mileage of this thread...)

So... starting today... (a well-organised cyclosportive)

3578.39 + 59.67 = 3638.06

i have no problems with retroactive posting, provided it is not made up figures, if you have actual, confirmable miles, feel free to throw them in.

there is no million dollar prize for the person to push this thread over 10,000 miles, only a golden raptor statue.

also, weekend activites of going to the mall adds another 6 miles so

3638.06 + 6 = 3644.06

Welcome DanD! So if we go ahead with this, great! We made it. I wouldn't mind our goal becoming 20 k miles. What do the rest of you think?

10,976 + 6+ 17 + 7 + 6 + 15 = 11027

*Have to say I think EvilDuckie never did input his miles.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:25 am UTC

You're right, I never did input the miles from a significant chunk of time. Mostly because I can't be arsed to actually tally them up...

I will, however, add the miles from the past few days:
11027 + 53 + 8 + 54 = 11142

Especially proud of that last ride, as it was a hilly one. I was invited to join a company ride on the Amstel Gold Race track (the AGR is the Dutch spring classic race, and the sportive version is signposted permanently). I opted for loop 1, which is the shortest and has the least climbs (still... 50-ish miles and about 2100 feet of elevation). 5 others went for that one too. We set off climbing the Cauberg straight away (traditional finish of the AGR and also part of last years world championships), so I took it easy on the first climb. Then at the top we realised not all of us were as experienced as the rest in terms of cycling. One guy had apparently not ridden a road bike before and didn't know how to work the shifters. On the next climb (Geulhemmerberg, also part of the world championship iirc) I decided to test myself a bit and pick a pace that I felt good with. Turned out I was the strongest climber of our group. On almost every climb after that I was the first to reach the top, often by a considerable margin. Climbs in this area tend to be short, most are about half a mile to a mile in length, but there's some nasty steep sections here and there. Still, I felt very good afterwards. Recovery was no problem and I never really had to dig very deep.
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

i have to be less lazy about tallies:

11142 + 7 + 7 + 17 + 9 + 6 + 7 = 11,195

edit: also, a few days ago, dumped the bike in a corner, scraped the hell out of my shoulder. hurts like hell. but im still riding, so im not badly injured.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Never had them myself (and hope to keep it that way) but I'm told scrapes (i.e. chafing or losing skin from sliding along the ground) can be some of the most painful wounds. On my last ride the other group (who rode a longer distance with more climbing at higher speeds) did have one accident, in the first descent somebody (who was not used to going downhill) panicked and slid off, scraped his elbow quite badly. Also took out two others who suffered some minor cuts. Makes me glad I was in a small group, downhill is something I'm not too keen on myself (very little opportunity to practice it here in Flatland...) so when I do it I prefer to have some space around me for maneuvering.
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:Never had them myself (and hope to keep it that way) but I'm told scrapes (i.e. chafing or losing skin from sliding along the ground) can be some of the most painful wounds. On my last ride the other group (who rode a longer distance with more climbing at higher speeds) did have one accident, in the first descent somebody (who was not used to going downhill) panicked and slid off, scraped his elbow quite badly. Also took out two others who suffered some minor cuts. Makes me glad I was in a small group, downhill is something I'm not too keen on myself (very little opportunity to practice it here in Flatland...) so when I do it I prefer to have some space around me for maneuvering.

yep downhill can be a little sketchy for a new rider.

my worst experience was at camp on an old, steep dirt road, on a very questionable, camp owned dirt bike.

it was that day i learned all i need to know about skid control. the road was mostly compacted earth with fine, light, covering of dusty, sandy dirt that made traction iffy at best.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:32 am UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:11,195

Yesterday I saw my Quest counter had rizen to 3388 km. My last post was 2150 KM so I biked 1238 km since then. That's approximately 774 miles.

11,195 + 774 = 11,969 miles.

Sadly my bike has started making a weird noise near the pedals/front gear/pedal axle. I must fix that before I bike long distance again.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Might be the bearings on the crank axle? They might need some more grease, or maybe a complete replacement... (I'm not a mechanic though, but that's what happened to mine... I wore out the set that came with my bike...)

Anyway...

11969 + 10 + 8 + 40 + 53 = 12080 miles.

Yesterday was nice: a club ride in an area I haven't been too that often. Guided by a local club, very nice except for some aggro car drivers on narrow dikes. Afterwards we were invited as VIP guests at the arrival of that day's stage of the Holland Ladies Tour. The end of the stage had them riding a short (7 mile) loop several times, so we saw them pass every 15 minutes. Didn't bother too much with the VIP tent other than to get a free drink and something to eat (most people there were just P, not VI at all, neither am I), watched the race from the finish line instead.

Did a longer ride today, set off to the only natural hills that are reasonably close by (like: a 20 mile ride from here). I'd been there a few times before, but never on a ride that actually started from home. Anyway, 'hill' is overexaggerating it tremendously... they're short (200-300 yards max) and only gain about 30-40 feet of altitude, so not terribly steep either. You can just power up, which is what I did.

Oh, and I found a nice spot to have a few minutes of rest and a cereal bar:
Mattemburgh by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

QED-1

Postby QED-1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:27 am UTC

12080 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 12110

I call home where my parents live and and currently live in an apartment. So I went home for a couple days and the day before I left as I arrived at my apartment my tire went flat very quietly. It was the strangest thing. Not too bummed about it, I thought let me take it home and patch it right up! So I did (found a very small piece of glass that was the w.hole of the problem) and brought stuff I forgot to bring the first time around... and I as park in my apartment complex, I realize that I left my bike tire at home. /facepalm

So I've been bikeless since Monday and can't wait until it arrives sometime tomorrow (had it mailed).

Mattemburgh by hans905, on Flickr

That's a nice picture! I like it.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:09 am UTC

12110 +

20.02 (Friday) +
26.82 (Sunday) +
9.40 (Tuesday morning) +
10.66 (Tuesday afternoon) +
9.20 (Wednesday morning) +
9.05 (Wednesday afternoon) +
9.04 (this morning) +
9.29 (this afternoon)
=

My daily commute (round-trip) in Biloxi is approximately seven miles longer than it was in Las Vegas. The roads are considerably narrower, though traffic is not quite as bad as I thought it'd be, so long as I avoid US Route 90 when I get into Biloxi.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:45 am UTC

9.07 miles this morning and 9.66 this afternoon. It started pouring raining at about the 9 mile mark and so I arrived home completely drenched.

New Total: 12232.21 miles

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 am UTC

6-day bike holiday in Tuscany last week, grand total of 257 miles (and 6800 meters of elevation gain) brings our total to 12489 miles.

It was a great trip, with nice people. I'll post stories + photos later on.
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

12489 + 6 miles today = 12495

was off the bike ALL of last week do to crazy work schedule. regretting it. regretting it hard.

*sigh* i need to ride more i think, i always feel better when im riding. life is just kinda fucked otherwise, but that i know i can do, ya know?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

20 September: 9.07 miles (morning) + 9.66 miles (afternoon) = 18.73 miles
24 September: 9.12 miles (morning) + 9.20 miles (afternoon) = 18.32 miles
25 September: 10.51 miles (morning) + 8.17 miles (afternoon) = 18.68 miles
26 September: 9.12 miles (morning) + 9.60 miles (afternoon) = 18.72 miles

Total miles = 74.45 miles

12489 + 74 = 12563

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:20 September: 9.07 miles (morning) + 9.66 miles (afternoon) = 18.73 miles
24 September: 9.12 miles (morning) + 9.20 miles (afternoon) = 18.32 miles
25 September: 10.51 miles (morning) + 8.17 miles (afternoon) = 18.68 miles
26 September: 9.12 miles (morning) + 9.60 miles (afternoon) = 18.72 miles

Total miles = 74.45 miles

12489 + 74 = 12563

12495 + 74 = 12569

fixed that for you, i guess you missed my post.

mine:
12569 + 7 = 12576

took a pretty good fall in a corner. luckily i learned from my accident to be aware of such things, as soon as i felt the bike start sliding, rolled out of it, eventually landing on some grass. i took most of it to my shoulder, which oddly doesn't hurt because it DID contact concrete. guess im indestructible.

Return to “Fit Club”