BIKE 10,000 miles

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

QED-1

Re: BIKE 10,000 miles

Postby QED-1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:took a pretty good fall in a corner. luckily i learned from my accident to be aware of such things, as soon as i felt the bike start sliding, rolled out of it, eventually landing on some grass. i took most of it to my shoulder, which oddly doesn't hurt because it DID contact concrete. guess im indestructible.

Ouch, hope you're much better now!

I've still been biking, just keeping it all in my head and I should post them now.

12576 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 12 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 12 + 5 + 6 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 6 + 6 = 12684

Got a flat more than 5 miles in a trail the other day, had to walk/try to ride when I could back. I was hoping a biker with tools would be nice enough to stop and help, no luck. It was getting dark anyway. I now have all the tools to fix a flat...

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Yikes, neglected this thread for a bit...

For starters, here's the story of my Tuscan bike trip.

12684 + 15 + 18 + 8 + 18 + 32 + 15 + 10 + 50 + 27 = 12877

Last 3 were in Winterberg, Germany. Went there with a friend for a GPS training course / biking weekend. We arrived late friday afternoon and only managed a short ride (the 10-miler) before dinner and the GPS training. Then on saturday we did a long all-day ride. Some pretty hefty climbs in there, the very first one seemed a doddle for most of it, just gently rising road for 5 miles, and then just when you think you're nearly there and you're lulled into a false sense of security it hits you with a few hundred yards of 20-25% slope... Yesterday's ride was a quick morning one before we'd drive back home. Had hoped to do it in 2 hours flat but some searching for the correct route, a flat tire (my first one this year) and me bonking out on the final climb meant we were late. Contrary to the Italy trip I was with somebody who is faster and I think I let myself get carried away by that a bit too much, should have opted to climb in my own pace sooner. Oh well, lessons learned and a fun weekend anyway.
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

sorry i have been neglecting this thread so much, have not been ridign much at all.

previously i rode with no helmet whatsoever, after the scare with my mom wrecking on her bike and injuring her head, i made the executive decision to not ride again until i have proper gear. that would be: quality race helmet, jersey, and shorts.

hopefully will be riding again soon.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Tomlidich the second wrote:previously i rode with no helmet whatsoever, after the scare with my mom wrecking on her bike and injuring her head, i made the executive decision to not ride again until i have proper gear. that would be: quality race helmet, jersey, and shorts.

Good. When I started biking 3 years ago, on my hybrid, I initially thought I wouldn't need a helmet because I wouldn't go that fast. Well, the next day I was back in the bike shop buying a helmet. It's a safety measure, one of those things you hope you never really need, but when you do need it, you'll be glad you have it. In fact, many if not all clubs and organised rides over here will require you to wear a helmet.
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:38 am UTC

Jesus, I skipped this thread for a bit too long.

12877 +

16.50 miles (03 October)
18.02 miles (08 October)
17.21 miles (09 October)
16.60 miles (10 October)
39.93 miles (14 October)
16.87 miles (16 October)
17.01 miles (17 October)
27.23 miles (18 October)
18.33 miles (22 October)
16.60 miles (23 October)

≈ 13081 miles
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

QED-1

Postby QED-1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

13081 + 14 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 13149

Man a couple weeks ago it was a bit rough, 3 flats in a span of two weeks and one was this:
2013-10-10 14.44.33.jpg

Yeah, I don't know how that happened. I usually patch my tires (its cheap! the university has a spokes council and they say buy a new tube... dunno why...) and well the wire went through a preexisting patch so I had to get a new tube. And then my car battery died on me so on my way back from buying jumper cables I got another flat because of some glass on the road...

All's good now. Question for you guys sometimes when I'm changing classes and I ride my bike to the next my knee feels as if it's popping out of place for a few cycles and then it stops. Is it because I'm riding wrong or I was just used to sitting down for a lecture?

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

QED-1 wrote:Yeah, I don't know how that happened. I usually patch my tires (its cheap! the university has a spokes council and they say buy a new tube... dunno why...) and well the wire went through a preexisting patch so I had to get a new tube. And then my car battery died on me so on my way back from buying jumper cables I got another flat because of some glass on the road...

All's good now. Question for you guys sometimes when I'm changing classes and I ride my bike to the next my knee feels as if it's popping out of place for a few cycles and then it stops. Is it because I'm riding wrong or I was just used to sitting down for a lecture?

i always swap the tubes. they cost so little it doesn't make sense to cheap out on the thing that literally connects me to the road.

as per the knee, sometimes mine can do that. if it starts being painful see a doctor. probably a good idea to stretch and flex it a bit before rides to prevent damage.

QED-1

Postby QED-1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

13149 + 3 = 13152

Yeah they may not be that expensive. The one I bought was $6 and if I could patch it, that would be $0.50 which is a fraction of the cost. I know it won't be as quick as changing the tubes but I'm in no race with other people when I bike. Another thing is if you don't check your rim or tire well enough and there's something stuck in there that may cause your flat again, that would put you back at the same spot. Maybe the spokes council at the university makes money off of the people that buy tubes in the building beside them. And I agree have good tires but the tubes are in the tires. Maybe it is different for bikes with the thin tires? Maybe it's tougher to patch those, huh, didn't think about that. I have I guess you could say the fat tires and keep them at ~40 psi.

Thanks, I'll try to do that. No pain so far, it's just weird.
Last edited by QED-1 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:20 am UTC

QED-1 wrote:Yeah they may not be that expensive. The one I bought was $6 and if I could patch it, that would be $0.50 which is a fraction of the cost. I know it won't be as quick as changing the tubes but I'm in no race with other people when I bike. Another thing is if you don't check your rim or tire well enough and there's something stuck in there that may cause your flat again, that would put you back at the same spot. Maybe the spokes council at the university makes money off of the people that buy tubes in the building beside them. And I agree have good tires but the tubes are in the tires. Maybe it is different for bikes with the thin tires? Maybe it's tougher to patch those, huh, didn't think about that. I have I guess you could say the fat tires and keep them at ~40 psi.

what width tires are you running?
if its mountain bike tires, sure, patch em, stuff em with bubble gum, whatever, its not gonna be a huge detriment.
for a road bike though, absolutely 110 percent of your attention should be tires, tubes, rims. if anything is off there, it could lead to a serious accident from loss of traction, sudden deflation, etc.

three things to never ever cheap out on:
1: tires, they connect you to the road.
2: the seat, it connects you to the bike.
3: Brake pads, they make the whole mess safe in a hurry when you need it to.

remember, you are inertias bitch, and she is a cold harsh mistress.

QED-1

Postby QED-1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

13152 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 12 = 13,200

Just checked, my tires say:
26"x1.95"
And you?

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 am UTC

I've got 23mm tires on my road bike, that's less than an inch while yours are almost double that. Mind you, there's moments where I wish I had wider tires... it's harvest season over here and that means a lot of the roads out here in the countryside will be covered in mud... Like this one:
Muddy road by hans905, on Flickr

That's where I turned around... I had a nasty experience earlier that ride, again a patch of wet mud on the road but that was on an exposed dike with a strong side wind. Felt my rear wheel slipping away. Managed to keep the bike upright but I didn't like the whole thing. I guess I should really get my hybrid back into action, it has wider tires so would offer more grip in those conditions.

Less time for cycling now, the weather is often bad and I've been doing photography at cyclocross races on sundays (I'm the 'official' photographer for a local league). Did get some miles in, will report them later.
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

13200 + 8 + 24 + 42 + 27 + 24 + 8 + 43 = 13376
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

13776 + 42 + 24 + 20 + 39 + 22 + 37 + 21 = 13981 miles

Weather getting progressively worse and colder every week. Also shooting cyclocross races on sundays, so that means no cycling for me. I had set myself a 6000k goal for this year (roughly 3700 miles) and I may not make that. Getting close though, I'm at 5700-something now, doing an average of 100k per week.
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

between scheduling, and crap weather here in socal, been unable to get on the bike at all.

this makes me sad.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:19 am UTC

It's been too cold in the mornings for me to ride to work, and though it tends to be warmer on the weekends, it also seems to rain every weekend. I've just been going to spin class several times per week to make up for it.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

yep. tis bullshit.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

Adding my december miles.

13981 + 50 + 21 + 40 + 23 + 41 + 33 + 51 + 15 + 35 = 14290

I did it. I had set myself the goal of 6000 km in 2013 and I beat that. The weather has been difficult sometimes, despite the fact our winter is really a joke up until now. There's lots of wind though and to make sure I avoid a big dip in my physical condition I've decided to give indoor cycling a go. Had an introductory talk this morning, will try out a class tonight and then a more general fitness session on thursday (working on other muscle groups) and see how I like it. Big chance that I decide it's not for me, but hey, don't knock it until you try it.
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:57 am UTC

So that spinning class was... interesting... I much rather prefer to ride outside, uphill, into a headwind, when there's rain (or hail... had that once...). It's a much higher intensity that cycling outside because there's no room for recovery during that 1-hour class. The bikes have no freewheel, so you have to keep peddling, even during the portions of the workout that are meant for recovery. Cautiously optimistic though.
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 pm UTC

always took issues with those, mainly because

one: its not productive. on a bike, im traveling places, seeing things. on a stationary, im either staring at the wall, staring at women in the gym or just head down pedaling, which is no fun at all. not productive.

two: airflow. used to riding with the air moving past me, absorbing the heat. i just overheat intensely when im stationary, its yucky.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:55 am UTC

My points exactly. But if the alternative is to have a big performance dip in this time of the year due to not being able to ride (or ride less than I wanted to) what with the weather... I don't mind riding when it's cold (say around freezing) but can't do long rides that way. Rain at those temperatures is something I'd like to avoid as well, and strong winds, 5 bft and above, are not my thing either (besides, with an open landscape and often narrow dikes, strong winds can be dangerous to a cyclist).

Another thing is that the structure of a spinning class involves some interval training, which is something I hardly do on the road since there's always other traffic (and road conditions) to keep an eye on.

So I'm really seeing this as a "in addition to" my cycling, rather than a "instead of". And hey, it might be a fun way to meet other people.
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:28 am UTC

14290 + 38 = 14328

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:03 am UTC

14328 + 44 = 14374

The one advantage of indoor cycling is that there's no chance of:
- Nearly being run over by a carnaval float.
- Nearly being taken out by a hunting dog.
- Nearly being blown off a bridge due to strong winds.
- Getting a flat tyre and having to ride the last 10 miles back into a headwind with a poorly inflated tyre.

Yeah... that was an eventful ride...
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:46 pm UTC

EvilDuckie wrote:- Nearly being run over by a carnaval float.

i am particularly interested in this one.

in other news, the weather is nice again.

if only i had time before work. and a proper helmet. not taking a chance there.

i HATE daylight savings. before the winter, first light was like 5:30- 5:45 am ish, plenty of time to ride before prepping for work at 7:30.

now its all dark and crap, no time at all.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

Last sunday:

14374 + 47 = 14421

Another flat tyre... That's 2 in 1 weekend... Well, at least the weather was better. Dry, sunny, but still very cold. It happened just about 14 miles into my ride, but I decided to press on anyway, I had planned to do this ride and didn't want to chicken out.

The carnaval float was on saturday. Just 10 minutes into my ride, I came into a tiny little town which is basically one Y junction. A car came from the right, but I had right of way because I was on the main road. Still, he pulled out in front of me, on the edge of "this is a dick move". As he was doing that the driver was making gestures at me, no idea what he meant by them, but suddenly, as I was on the junction, a carnaval float came clanging up the road, damn nearly hitting me. So I guess those gestures the driver of the car (who had his hazard lights on, so he was with the carnaval float) meant: "get out of the way you silly cyclist, we are driving this big contraption that violates every vehicle regulation you can think of and so we feel we can simply ignore all the other traffic rules too". The driver of the float was probably underage and/or not licensed to drive that thing (technically it's a farm tractor...) on public roads, quite possibly drunk too despite it being 10 am...

Anyway... my anger got the better of me, so I turned around and tried to chase them to ask them what the h*ll they thought they were doing. Good thing they were too fast for me... I know I should just shrug it off, but sometimes I can't...
Quack!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:51 am UTC

I also cycled on Sunday: 14421 + 29 = 14450

Saturdays and/or Sundays seem to be the only day I can ride these days. It's still a bit too chilly in the morning to ride to and from work and the rain is like clockwork here: it's almost always rainy on Saturdays.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:17 pm UTC

Retroactively adding a few...

14450 + 41 + 35 + 18 + 30 + 23 + 52 = 14649

Lots of stormy and rainy weather lately, so not a lot of bike rides outside but I'm compensating with some indoor spinning classes. Hey, at least they make the legs go 'round. Yesterday's ride was nice though. First half mostly into the (still rather strong) wind, then a few wee little climbs and a gentle ride back with mostly tailwinds. Enjoyed the sunshine, can't wait for the weather to be good enough to ride in shorts and short sleeves...
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 pm UTC

the weather is riding weather again! took the bike out over the weekend just to warm up the tires and get a feel for things again. didn't bother recording mileage though :?

If i get some cash together, I wanna do some gear improvements on my riding rig, maybe even a whole new frame! that would be fun.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:17 pm UTC

It was an absolutely wonderful afternoon to ride my bike!

14649 + 40 = 14689

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:08 pm UTC

agh, fuck daylight savings! It was just getting to the point where maybe i could get up at 6 am and there would be some light to ride, but now we shifted an hour ahead and its all messed up again.

screw optimism!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

Another great day today!

14689 + 40 = 14729

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:03 am UTC

Big backlog...

14729 + 43 + 23 + 53 + 40 + 35 + 53 + 19 + 9 + 31 + 48 + 4 + 46 = 15133

Weather has been pretty darn good here lately. Mostly dry for a month or so, and temperatures sometimes reaching to 20 degrees (C). Rather windy most of the time though. It's cooled down a bit this weekend, and there's intermittent rain now, but all in all cycling-wise this has been a very good winter.

Got myself a new pair of wheels last week (as well as replacing the worn out gears and chain and getting some new pedals). I've only done a short test ride with it (that was the 4 miles) in lots of wind and then a bigger ride yesterday, also quite windy. So it's still a bit hard to tell what kind of an effect the wheels have, but I think they're a bit faster when it comes to acceleration. So that's good :) Also, the other ones were starting to show little fractures where the spokes enter the rim, so they were due for a replacement. I'm keeping them behind as spares, just in case. If I break a spoke on a saturday afternoon for example my bike shop wouldn't be able to fix it until tuesday, what with them being closed sunday and monday.
Quack!

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

congrats guys on peaking 15k!

hopefully i can get back out there with ya and keep pushing. :D

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 am UTC

A really nice big high pressure system is moving through the region after some pretty nasty storms over the weekend and so today was awesome for cycling.

This was the farthest north I've been in Mississippi on my bicycle and if it hadn't been for the road I was on becoming a T and me turning south, I would have continued west trying to find Mississippi Route 67 and I would have ended up in Saucier, 26 miles from home and an additional 38 miles into my ride (I was at 18 miles when I made the turn).

15133 + 39 = 15172

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:34 am UTC

I hope I can bike properly again soon. I broke my leg 10 weeks ago and just began walking on it last week. You can imagine how my bikeride went yesterday. I lost a lot of endurance and power.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

QED-1

Postby QED-1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:21 pm UTC

Oh man, it's been so long since I posted. Since last posting I've had to replace my chain, cassette and then the bar inside the back wheel snapped so I had to replace that and I got some new front brakes. My crank arm has some play to it so I'll get it tightened next week. A guy from the spokes council at my school pumped my tire to 60 psi "because on the tire it says pump to 40-60 psi" and he even said hmm maybe that wasn't a good idea since your tire is old. So I let a little out and the next day oh I got an audible flat. I guess since the tire is so old I could patch it w/o removing the tire from the frame :D where the hole was made is where there's a tear in tire and I can see the wires... so I'm assuming it had too much air. It doesn't have many more miles to it and I should buy one soon. Whoo! After that my bike should be good. I'm not too surprised, I've had it for 4+ years and it's sat for a couple years.

Do you guys ever buy tires online? I know of a bike store but if I could have a bigger selection/cheaper prices I may take a look.

Is it fine if I underestimate the number of miles I've done; November seems like the last time I posted.

15172+560=15732

Hope you get even better, Neil!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:58 am UTC

I've bought some tires online last year because I wanted a specific brand/type (Schwalbe Durano, they're puncture-resistant) that I thought my local bike shop couldn't get for me. Then when I was in there a few weeks ago discussing my new wheels they said they didn't normally have those in stock, but would be happy to order them for me, so I went ahead and had them do that.
Quack!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 am UTC

Really should be keeping this up...

15172 + 8 + 24 + 57 + 8 + 17 + 47 + 26 + 25 + 56 + 21 + 8 + 37 + 34 + 56 + 9 + 44 + 65 = 15714

Especially yesterday, the 65 miles, was fun. I took part in a clinic organised by Annemiek van Vleuten. It involved a presentation on the life of a pro (concerning training, nutrition and so on) on sunday evening, a morning ride (50 miles) on monday with some fun excercises (sprinting, echelon riding, riding on cobbles and team time trial) followed by a recovery snack and lunch and then an afternoon programme with a little individual time trial and some races. Lot of fun to do, learned a lot from it.

Bikes ready to go by hans905, on Flickr

The plan for the morning session by hans905, on Flickr

Instruction on how to sprint by hans905, on Flickr

I was pleasantly surprised I could ride and sprint comfortably in the drops. Last time I tried that it was a bit of an awkward position due to my belly being in the way, but I guess I've trimmed that down enough now.

Sprint training by hans905, on Flickr

Sprint training by hans905, on Flickr

Helllish cobbles by hans905, on Flickr

How should we be riding on these cobbles? by hans905, on Flickr

So proper Flemish cobbles (technically setts) are quarried stones that are roughly the same size and shape and are paved by a professional. We have a few roads over here where I live that are paved with them and I don't like those. The cobbles we got during the clinic, up north, are glacial boulders that are "just dumped in there" according to Annemiek ("from an airplane!" according to one of the other particpants). They're uneven, irregular, smooth and when they're wet (like they were) they're very slippery. It tried it for a few hundred yards, by that time I had already lost one of my bottles. Couldn't take it anymore, so I tried the dirt on the side. That was mostly soft mud, so I was not very happy with that either... Riding those roads is essentially madness. There's a few big pro women's races in that area early in the season and they always take those roads and it's always carnage.

Time for the time trial by hans905, on Flickr

End of the day by hans905, on Flickr
Quack!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:03 am UTC

Yaay, I rode my Quest again this Sunday! Only 23 km, but still. Max of 55 km/h but that was cheating with some gravity.
15714 + 14 = 15728 miles.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:39 pm UTC

the weather is good, the light is there in the mornings, im really anxious to get going. this week. this week for sure.

I know I don't exactly have a helmet yet, but will soon. i just really wanna get back on.

I dunno anymore about my hopes and dreams as a race cyclist. at first, it was all i wanted to do, now i am not so sure that is my claim to fame. i guess i just don't really wanna be known for just one thing/ can't decide what my thing is.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:00 am UTC

FWIW, having heard some inside stories about the life of a professional cyclist, I can say it looks like a fun life, but it takes a whole lot of dedication and sacrifice. Training 25 hours a week, filling out your whereabouts for the random doping tests, being away from home 200+ days out of the year. Of course if you want to race at an amateur level that's all less extreme (though if you seriously want to compete you'll need to put in a lot of training effort). It's not an option for me, I started cycling when I was 33, now if I would have started 10 years (or more) earlier it could have been possible.

In the meantime, get on yer bike! ;) Oh, and get a helmet, seriously.
Quack!

Return to “Fit Club”