Gluten intolerance helps. Dried fruit doesn't

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

irateidiot

Gluten intolerance helps. Dried fruit doesn't

Postby irateidiot » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:45 am UTC

I turned gluten intolerant one weekend in September (yes, really; freaked me out too). Dropped 5kg in 2 weeks on a diet of nuts, greens, and veg.

Then broadened my diet to include dried fruit, and broadened again to include the one single brand of gluten-free bread not made from MDF offcuts. Gained 4 kg over 4 weeks.

Suspect that sugar is high in calories, and that complex carbs in 'bread' can be converted to sugars. Further research required. Can I haz big grant plz?

Fossa

Re: Gluten intolerance helps. Dried fruit doesn't

Postby Fossa » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:21 am UTC

I'm guessing the bulk of your weight change was due to water weight associated with how you discovered your gluten intolerance. This would also explain the quick bounce back. Failing that, weight fluctuations that drastic are extremely unhealthy...

shocklocks

Postby shocklocks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Those numbers don't seem overly drastic to me at all. Perhaps 5kg in 2weeks isalot after a month or two of dieting or what ever is a little high but not for the first fortnight.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm UTC

Suspect that sugar is high in calories,

one (level) teaspoon of granulated sugar is a whopping 15 calories :o
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

shocklocks wrote:Those numbers don't seem overly drastic to me at all. Perhaps 5kg in 2weeks isalot after a month or two of dieting or what ever is a little high but not for the first fortnight.

Actually, discounting changes in water weight, anything over 2 lbs (0.9 kg) per week in either direction is considered unhealthy. Target goals for weight change are normally 1 lb per week. The rapid rebound makes me think it was mostly water, though.

Typically, when people discover food intolerances it includes some extra time sitting down in the bathroom, which means mild dehydration. The rapid recovery also suggests that this was the case.

caje

Postby caje » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:19 am UTC

irateidiot wrote:I turned gluten intolerant one weekend in September (yes, really; freaked me out too). Dropped 5kg in 2 weeks on a diet of nuts, greens, and veg.

Then broadened my diet to include dried fruit, and broadened again to include the one single brand of gluten-free bread not made from MDF offcuts. Gained 4 kg over 4 weeks.

Suspect that sugar is high in calories, and that complex carbs in 'bread' can be converted to sugars. Further research required. Can I haz big grant plz?

ALL carbs are converted into either fructose or glucose eventually. (besides the indigestible type which tends to be very minimal)

So, do you not want the weight gained back? Are you asking a question?

Rageous

Postby Rageous » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

philsov wrote:
Suspect that sugar is high in calories,

one (level) teaspoon of granulated sugar is a whopping 15 calories :o

Sugar doesnt have to be high in calories for it to have a significant impact on your body composition and overall health. If a persons goal is weight loss, sugar should be almost entirely avoided in all forms - fruit included.

Return to “Fit Club”