*Is* there an app for that???

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

genghis007

*Is* there an app for that???

Postby genghis007 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:25 am UTC

Its a new year in less than 24 hours and I'm one of the many people who will decide to try and improve their health/fitness for the new year. Odds on I'll probably spend my first morning of this new philosophy with a hangover, but I'll worry about that when I get to it. I have a question for you.

I got an iPod touch for Christmas, and I was looking around the app store at all the health and fitness apps available. Do any of them work? Are any of them actually useful? Which ones would you recommend? I don't mind paying for something if its worth it and has a reccomendation. For example, I've been introduced to the 100 push up challenge website, and was looking for an app that would update as I'm progressing; something I've not been able to find I've found. (edit - oops my bad)

So basically, I need help. Here's looking at you xkcd forumites.
Last edited by genghis007 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Click here to make a clicking sound

Proginoskes

Re: *Is* there an app for that???

Postby Proginoskes » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

Supposedly, all you need to stay with an exercise program is sticking with it. If so, then recording yourself shouting "Go exercise, Fatso!" and putting it on continuous loop might do the trick ... and it's free ...

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

Aidas' miCoach is quite nice, and at least worth a look, imo.

Bradshaw

Postby Bradshaw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:02 pm UTC

You could always go old-school with an actual book that helps you track your progress. I hear "Health Quest" (http://www.health-quest-body.com) works well! :wink: It's even available as en e-book, with free tracking page downloads at the website.

Whatever you decide to use to help with your motivation, you are correct in solving that problem first. Without motivation, no fitness program will work.

A good friend of mine has a great saying, "Any problem may be overcome with determination and patience." In other words, even small incremental change has a large effect given enough time.

Good luck!

Zac
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Malcolm Reynolds

drash

Postby drash » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:27 pm UTC

I rather like having MyFitnessPal on my phone- searchable database of >1M foods, with a built-in barcode scanner, and a decent list of the various exercises you're likely to do. I tend to ignore the calorie counts (except for order-of-magnitude type calculations), but it's great to have a food diary in general and take a few minutes around every meal to think about what you're eating.

And for some people, Fitocracy is the god of fitness addiction enabling. It even has an xkcd social group!

But honestly, it's all about the motivation. No program will have a 'make me healthy' button. Want it, find friends that want it, do it, brag about it. That's the real key.

eaglewings51

Postby eaglewings51 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

drash wrote:And for some people, Fitocracy is the god of fitness addiction enabling. It even has an xkcd social group!

I'm checking out some of these and I can't seem to find Fitocracy in the iTunes store. Does it go by a different name?

gaurwraith

Postby gaurwraith » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:12 am UTC

fitocracy is a website, google it...
it has some mobile version, but is still a webpage I think, not an app.
I'm there and though it is not the cure for lazyness, it challenges you with quests you might like to do.
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:35 am UTC

gaurwraith wrote:fitocracy is a website, google it...
it has some mobile version, but is still a webpage I think, not an app.

Fitocracy Blog wrote:seraphimpunk asked: are you developing an app so we can log our progress on the go from a mobile phone?
iPhone app coming in a few weeks!

This was posted yesterday so there is an app coming. Their mobile website is also pretty easy to use but then you would actually need internet access for your Ipod Touch
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

I don't know if its on iOS, but androids Cardiotrainer is great. It has graphs, records weight, average running speed, etc.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Return to “Fit Club”