Exercises to do with overweight girlfriend?

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

shift_register

Exercises to do with overweight girlfriend?

Postby shift_register » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 am UTC

First, get your mind out of the gutter. :P

So my girlfriend and I want to work out together. I've starting working out in the past two weeks with a friend at the local gym, and my girlfriend has agreed to join us (yay, lax guest policies). Her goal will primarily weight loss, mine is just becoming in general more fit, and maybe shedding a few pounds along the way. The key issue here I see is that with us having different goals, we should be doing different things.

I am a 20-year-old male, ~175lbs, 5'11. Not overweight, but definitely unfit. Hope to change that.

She is a 19-year-old female around my weight but only 5'4, so yes overweight. Her goal is to lose a fair amount of that weight at a reasonable rate (1-2lbs/week). Her weight gain was mostly due to for a while and until recently living with her grandma that basically fed her a bunch of crapfood (way too much fast food/overprocessed food/soft drinks/etc). Said weight gain was mostly within the past year or two, not accumulated over her whole life, so in theory it should be easier to lose? (Especially with a change in diet to quality healthy real food.)

Anyway, the point of all this is that we want to work together, encourage each other, support each other, and all that. What would be the best exercises for us to do together at the gym (or at home I guess)? I suppose there could also be ones where one just encourages or helps the other, so don't feel limited to just stuff we should both be doing at the same time.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Exercises to do with overweight girlfriend?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Post approved, but next time maybe poke around a bit before starting your own thread. We generally want you to have ten posts before you do that. Additionally, there are numerous other threads you could ask this question rather than giving it a dedicated one. However, this topic might have enough broad appeal along the lines of "Working out with my S/O, tips and advice?" so... here goes!

Evengeduld

Re: Exercises to do with overweight girlfriend?

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

In theory your girlfriend will start lose weight once she changes back to the healthy food and starts working out. Because she used to have an over intake on calories and fat. If she really was only eating junk food combined with the lack of working out (=burning calories/fat). That is if I read your post correctly :)

The problem with working out together with your girlfriend however is the different backgrounds you two will have. She might like endurance trainings more and you might like lifting weights more. which both have a different effect on the body.

So you might first try out a couple of diffrent sports/excercises untill you find something you both like and then use that to get to the common goal. Namely getting fit again (and losing weight).
Going to the gym together sounds like fun and all but if one of you doesn't like it as much as the other it can lead to a whole lot of frustration.
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Return to “Fit Club”