roband's life turnaround

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

raike

Re: roband's life turnaround

Postby raike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:12 am UTC

I got started by watching many videos on youtube of the major lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, clean, snatch), particularly in slow motion. My roommate had a nice laugh watching me in front of my computer with a broomstick going through the motions. There's also a 'starting strength' forum, with a subforum for form-checks; if you've a camera, you could videotape yourself and post it there for critique, or, watch other peoples' stuff for ideas on what to do and what not to do. After you learn what good form looks like, I can guarantee that you'll start to see other people in the free-weight section and wonder what they're trying to achieve and / or observe that they're 'doing it wrong', and it'll be a lot less 'closed-off', especially since while you may not be moving as much weight, you'll be doing it better. (Or maybe I'm just an arrogant prick)
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." - H.J. Kaiser
رات دن گردش میں ہیں سات آسماں
ہو رہیگا کچھ نہ کچھ گھبرائیں کیا
(غالب)

roband

Postby roband » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Gym last night for the first time in a week. The machines were full of people sitting there doing nothing, which was frustrating. Limited what I was able to do, which was probably for the best because I have a chesty cough at the moment and was struggling a little.

I like going to the gym on Thursdays, because there's a spin class on. And looking at them, I know that as much as I hurt - they're hurting more :D

roband

Postby roband » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

No posts in a while. Still really motivated about going to the gym. Food quality has dipped recently, partly due to illness leaving me unable to walk (!), but this isn't my priority and as soon as it's gone - I'll be back on the healthier stuff again.

Feeling good, subtle noticeable changes in my physique (possibly nothing, but maybe not).

roband

Postby roband » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

12km on the bike today, along with weights and other stuff.

Feels strange to be proud of myself.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

I am inspired to do stuff also! To the dumbbells!

And gratz :)

roband

Postby roband » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Thank you. And good luck!

roband

Re: rob & &'s life turnaround

Postby roband » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Not been gym in an age, got an ingrown toenail and it's sore to walk on - let alone anything else.

I've been recommended MyFitnessPal (a website/app for tracking calories/exercise) and it's AWESOME. Only been using it for a coupla hours, but I really like it.

If anyone wants to 'add' me on it, my username is robjamesanderson89.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

So I'm going to be trying this again.

Only, trying isn't the right word, because I have no real option about it - I've got to get slimmer to fit in my "best man" suit.

Not sure if having a specific target is a great idea, for me, but it can't hurt.

Need to lose a substantial amount of inches-around in 9 months.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

your other options are:

- get a new suit / tailor old suit
- don't go

:D

Good luck!

Not sure if having a specific target is a great idea, for me, but it can't hurt.

Yes, it is a good idea.

What weight would you like to be at for the wedding?
What weight are you now?
How much would you need to lose every week, on average, to meet your 9 month goal?
How much should you eat every day to meet your weekly goal?

(If you don't know what weight you'd like to be at, may I suggest a pace of 0.5 - 1.0 lbs / week of weight loss?)

You need to form good habits, if you want to keep it off. Ballooning back out at month 10 is a less than ideal scenario. But we'll worry about that at month 10. For now just formulate a plan, get it rolling, and stick to it.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

roband

Postby roband » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

philsov wrote:What weight would you like to be at for the wedding?
What weight are you now?
How much would you need to lose every week, on average, to meet your 9 month goal?
How much should you eat every day to meet your weekly goal?

No idea to any of these. At the moment, I just know I need to get smaller.

I'll be on serious anti-biotics in the new year, so hopefully that'll be the kickstart I need to stop drinking alcohol for a bit.

I'll be back on MyFitnessPal to monitor my calories and back in the gym as well.

Samik

Postby Samik » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 am UTC

Intended to write a supportive post.

Instead wrote a semi-drunken, self-absorbed, emotional splurge of a ramble that was embarrassing enough to delete.

Regreted deleting candid post and tried to recover it, failing.

Still want to write a supportive post.

roband wrote:No idea to any of these. At the moment, I just know...

I'm sure I'll hang around here for a while, then vanish for a while, then come back and try to get started again. Don't know the time frame and circumstances of those events to any meaningful precision... but I do know enough about myself to know that for every time I give up there'll be a time I get started again.

Better to be the guy that goes down being mediocre while constantly trying to improve, than the guy who goes down being mediocre while not giving a damn.

There's drunken candor. Time to go to bed and regret it in the morning.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 am UTC

I never did get on the anti-biotics, but I've been drinking less. Spits and spats of healthier eating, but also some old habits I've not fully kicked out yet.
Still not back in the gym, because no anti-biotics = still infected = pain still present.

That said, I might not have a target date anymore.

roband

Postby roband » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

Blurgh, been doing terribly.

No beer and no bread in May.

Once I get back into the routine of going to the gym, I'm fine. Unfortunately, working out of hours 1/8 weeks is enough to interrupt it.
I will be back in the gym from next week, aiming for 4 nights out of 7. Going to go heavy on the bike, aiming for at least 20km per visit.

Of course this is all bullshit until I actually do it. Updates soon.

philsov

Postby philsov » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:11 pm UTC

roband wrote:... in May...

... next week...

Why not now?

roband

Postby roband » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:16 pm UTC

Regarding the beer and bread in May, because I have a horrible time remembering these things. Last time I tried to do any stretch of time without alcohol, I was halfway through a pint of beer before I realised I was drinking it. It was the third night of the stretch and I'd gone out for dinner with my uncle and we always drink together. It was a genuine mistake. If I have defined start/end dates planned, I'm hoping I won't forget so easily.

Regarding the gym next week, it's because I have social stuff lined up tonight and tomorrow before heading into the Easter weekend when I expect I'll be spending some time with family. I think a 4 day delay is acceptable here.

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

Remember -- soreness is a result of being out of shape. You'll probably be too sore to attend on tuesday, and that's fine, because it's your first week back. Once exercise is a routine thing the soreness will be nonexistent. Just don't get caught in the cycle of:

haven't worked out in a while -> work out once, get really sore -> take a day or two off to recover -> avoid gym for a day or two or three more because routine not personally established -> haven't worked out in a while -> repeat.

It's a tough hurdle, but you got this.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:33 am UTC

I've found, in the past, that I don't have that problem - it's just remembering to go the first time which is the hard bit.

I'm now coming out of the end of a sickness bug that's hit my entire weekend. Between nasty things going on in my stomach and a pulled chest muscle from throwing up (I think), the gym visits ain't starting tonight.

philsov

Postby philsov » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:31 pm UTC

Good to hear, at least. I got injured on vacation a while ago. Did calf raises on return to the gym... couldn't fully walk the next day. Sucked.

it's just remembering to go the first time which is the hard bit.

Are we talking like "Forgetting" where you're in the middle of something, and put off going to the gym until said task is complete, and then it's too late... or legit forgetting? If the latter, I'm almost positive you can set an alarm on your phone at least a week in advance (probably moreso via app) to remind you of such things.

roband

Postby roband » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

It's more that it's not CONSTANTLY on my mind.

So last week for example, my plan was to go to the gym tonight. If a friend said to me on Thursday "oh, are you doing anything on Monday night - we're thinking about going for a meal then to the cinema to see the new Spiderman movie if you want to come?" - there's a good chance I wouldn't remember my plans to go to the gym and then make plans with friends.

That's not something an alarm can help me with. My memory in general is terrible, especially when it comes to dates/calendar events etc. That's why the routine helps, y'know?

Samik

Postby Samik » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:25 am UTC

roband wrote:So last week for example, my plan was to go to the gym tonight.

Did you go?

roband

Postby roband » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:51 am UTC

roband wrote:I'm now coming out of the end of a sickness bug that's hit my entire weekend. Between nasty things going on in my stomach and a pulled chest muscle from throwing up (I think), the gym visits ain't starting tonight.

Samik

Postby Samik » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 pm UTC

D'oh. Read more than the last two posts before posting next time, Samik...

roband

Postby roband » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:12 am UTC

No probs. Gym tonight is the plan now.. looking forward to it!

roband

Postby roband » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:39 pm UTC

20k per visit is obviously a target to be built up to. Ha.

Managed 6k last night (split into 2 bursts), but I ended up being on an unexpected time frame. Next visit planned for tomorrow morning. I'll aim to do 8k.

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon May 19, 2014 3:12 pm UTC

/poke

How's the progress?

roband

Postby roband » Mon May 19, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

Bleurgh, don't ask.

If it's any consolation, I'm not happy with myself. "Tomorrow", "soon", "after the weekend"....

roband

Postby roband » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

Gymming is going well recently (3 weeks or so of consistency). Considering "keto". I see a lot about it on reddit.

Newly single for the first time in 7 years. Not sure if this is motivation or not.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:02 pm UTC

"Keto" is, 99% of the time, an unfortunate side-effect rather than a goal. Just stick to high-protein, no need to go the full liver-trashing skin-smelling-like-ammonia route. :D

roband

Postby roband » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

Okay. I can only go off what I've seen right? And I suppose they only upvote the good stuff.

Ditching carbs seems hard. Eating lots of meat to make up for it? Sounds great.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:20 pm UTC

It worked for me. :D I am definitely not one to promote "something I saw on a Reddit one time", but I actually DID the Dolce Diet for three months, and lost a whole bunch of weight for my fight. Eating delicious meaty food. Dolce may be a media whore, but just the sensible eating guides he put together are great and they work.

roband

Postby roband » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

I'd love to hear any tips you might have from the experience.

I'm thinking I'll be concentrating on bacon/eggs for breakfasts and chicken/beef in sauces with veg for lunch/dinner. I need a calculator to work out specifics.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:28 pm UTC

In general:

Avoid the starchy carbs. I was having one wrap per day, and that was about it for starchy carbs.
Funky cheeses are totally allowed, since they're lactose free. Blue cheese, etc. Great for adding flavor.
Make a giant roast and have leftovers for a week. Slice it up and you've got filling for wraps, toppings for salads, etc.
Eggs for breakfast rock, and are filling.
Beans? Do you like beans? Cans of beans on molasses, etc, are great for pre and post-workout, when you really do need sugar, and a big dose of protein to go with it.
Roasting brussels sprouts is a great way to get a lot of green leafy inexpensive vegetables. Asparagus, too.
Stir fry! You can stealth fit in a TON of veggies into a frying pan (onions, garlic, peppers, sprouts, bamboo shoots, corn, peas, mushrooms) with soy sauce, curry sauce and hot sauce, and just throw it on a little bit of noodles or brown rice. Super great.

Return to “Fit Club”