Need to keep track of what I'm eating

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

alphawolf29

Need to keep track of what I'm eating

Postby alphawolf29 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:05 am UTC

Hi, I moved back in with my dad for summer away from College and I'm really packing on the pounds being here. As a result, I need to keep track of what I eat in a public way as to facilitate accurate logs. It's kind of hard to ignore or stop it when I have to post it to the internet. You can give advice/berate as you wish, I will not take offence. My biggest hurdle I think will be beer, as I drink probably over 20 beer a week. At the moment I am 21 years old, 6'00 198 pounds. Feel free to guesstimate the Calories, but I know it's too much so I'm not going to worry about it now!

Day 1 (thurs June 08)
250ml Choc milk
Egg Salad sandwich w/ brown bread
Ham wrap with mustard
250ml choc milk
Salad with salmon chunks
12 California rolls
Steak (Went to Barbeque)
Ribs
4 beer

Day 2 (fri june 09)
Egg salad sandwich/white
Plain bagel /cream cheese
Coffee, 1c1s under 900 calories for meal
small pack baby carrots, ~60-90 calories
Dipping mustard ~5 calories
Sea Salt & Vingeae chips - 210 Calories

day 3 (sat june 10th) Not so good today? Didn't realise how many calories were in brown bread
Granola bar (140)
3x bananas throughout day (300)
1 apple (100)
Lasagna (600)
A few chips (200?)
6x brown bread with dipping hummus throughout day (700)

day 4 (sun june 10th)
3 Onion rings (200?)
Chick Cordonbleu with baked potato and sourcream (800?)
1 Beer (100)
Banana(100)
12oz steak by itself (400-500?)

day 5 (mon june 11th. Long day today)
1 ham and egg sandwich on bagel
1 bagel with cream cheese
coffee, 1 cream 1 sugar - 1000 calories?
Last edited by alphawolf29 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:43 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Need to keep track of what I'm eating

Postby philsov » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

what's the purpose of recording what you eat if you don't care about either the caloric intake or the macronutrient ratio? Offhand it looks like you clocked in at 2800 calories, but since you didn't list even a ballpark on quantity this can easily be +/- 500 Cals.

imo -- do this for about a week, with a little more rigor (fist-sized steak vs plate-sized steak, "salad" can mean a LOT of different things, what kind of beer, etc). At the end, use either:

http://caloriecount.about.com/
http://www.wolframalpha.com/ (type in 'calories salmon', e.g.)

And tally up your stuff.

Next, check out your BMR and daily caloric needs. Reduce the food you already eat/drink so that the daily tally is equal your caloric needs. Ta da! No more packing on pounds. (If you want to lose some of said pounds, you'll want to less than your daily caloric needs. -500 should net about 1 lb a week lost; eating at or slightly above BMR is a decent rule of thumb). I find this way works out really well since you're still eating the same food as before, just being cautious about portions.

Someone at your height/weight/age needs about 2500 cals a day. Running on averages, dropping the milk for water and keeping everything else the same should halt the weight gain. But only the scale and tape measure know for sure.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

http://myfitnesspal.com
http://loseit.com
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/

All three of these are really good for measuring caloric intake.

Get a kitchen scale and measure everything that doesn't come in a pre-measured portion. Do this until you can look at a piece of steak and approximately estimate how many ounces it is. Use measuring cups and tablespoons for every liquid. a 2 Tbsp serving of dressing might have 70 calories and you might, especially initially, significantly underestimate how many servings of dressing you're actually getting (for example)

When you go out to eat, restaurants can be off by a decent margin of error on how many calories are in a given dish. So you may want to account for that if you eat out frequently. And, you're right, drinking beer isn't helping your quest. It's still manageable of course. You'll just need to cut back significantly elsewhere or add in enough exercise to cover the excess.

Just some off the cuff calculations.... to back up what philsov posted, your basal metabolic rate (calories to maintain your current weight if you laid in bed all day) is 2071.14 if you're sedentary (sitting around for most of the day) then your daily caloric intake to maintain your way should be just under 2500 calories a day (2485). If your goal is weight loss then you should aim to lose about 1-2 lbs a week, or 3500-7000 calories a week. This means your daily intake should be right around 2000 calories a day. If you're just looking to maintain (and only you know if you should lose weight or not), then aiming for 2400 calories a day is good.

Assuming an average of 3 beers a day (20 beers a week), at 150-200 calories per beer (assuming you're not drinking light beer), then you're drinking a good chunk of your daily intake right there.

If you do exercise, don't eat back everything you burn. Unless you're hooked up to a machine to measure your actual effort, you're going to be way off on any estimates so err on the side of only eating back half of what you expend.

Here is what has helped me, so far.. cutting way, way back on wheat; significantly upping my veggie intake (where my carbs and fiber comes from [also, I eliminated corn as a veggie choice]); running; logging everything on myfitnesspal; treats like beer and ice cream are a weekly thing and in a smaller portion versus a daily thing. There's something almost magical about a cold beer or chocolate ice cream when it's a rare treat. Obviously, these may or may not work for you. But, maybe there are some things of use in there.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:44 pm UTC

What kind of beer are you drinking? Is it rich, flavorful, and delicious? Four oatmeal stouts would be a lot of oatmeal stouts. If you're drinking beer that goes down like water you might try some tastier more expensive beers and drinking fewer of them. Beer is enjoyable but 20 beers a week is averaging 3 a day, which is worrying. Also, can you comfortably go a few days without any alcohol?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

alphawolf29

Postby alphawolf29 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

I do care about Caloric intake, but at this point i'm so far over it doesn't really matter exactly. My 20 beers /week was just a rough estimation. Sometimes I'll have 3 6 packs throughout the week, sometimes I'll drink heavily on two nights (at parties, I don't think I classify as an alcoholic.) I can probably pretty easily only drink 6 beers on one night a week, that's no problem. I would like to lose the weight I've gained in the last two months, which shouldnt be too difficult. (Probably about 15 pounds).

I would classify my lifestlye as "low activity" as I have to spend about an hour hiking up a hill every morning and walk quite a lot.

philsov

Postby philsov » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

oatmeal stouts

mmmmm

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

alphawolf29 wrote: Sometimes I'll have 3 6 packs throughout the week, sometimes I'll drink heavily on two nights (at parties, I don't think I classify as an alcoholic.)

Hrmmm... that's probably even worse for you than if you had beer every day.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

alphawolf29

Postby alphawolf29 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:50 am UTC

At about 1200 calories for today, pretty good. Is there such a thing as too little calories to drop weight? I don't think 1200 is anorexic :P

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

Is there such a thing as too little calories to drop weight?

So... you're interested in dropping weight, or just not gaining weight?

(Note, from here on out I'm talking averages and bell curves, and while I could qualify everything with "most people" and "often" that's way too much semantic gymnastics.)

A little, yeah. I think the bottom cap for males is 1500 cals a day. Unless you're doing resistance exercises and have a rather large protein intake (~200g / day, in your case), you will lose some muscle when you're on a deficit. Even then you're more holding steady than not regarding lean body mass.

Losing muscle is bad because muscle passively burns more calories as you walk and breathe than fat. As a rule of thumb, a person can lose 1% of their weight in fat every week. Since you're 200 lbs, that's 2 lbs -- works out to roughly a 1000 daily deficit. When your deficit exceeds that number, the ratio of muscle loss to fat loss begins to work in a counterproductive fashion -- yes, you're losing weight, but fat can only be processed so quickly so the rest will come from lean body mass. Which in turn slows down your metabolism -- which in extreme cases results in a feedback loop with nasty conclusions.

Doing it slow is better in the long run.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

alphawolf29 wrote:At about 1200 calories for today, pretty good. Is there such a thing as too little calories to drop weight? I don't think 1200 is anorexic :P

Starvation is never good for health, which should be your goal. 1200 calories is not likely a good idea.

Edit: I mean, you can theoretically completely fast a day a week and be fine, but in general you want consistent good nutrition. If you make your body think food is scarce, your body will conserve the calories it gets. If you make it think food is scarce than go to a party and eat a lot, it's going to decide it needs all those calories for later.

Return to “Fit Club”