Running, help! (rest days, faster, longer)

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

webzter_again

Running, help! (rest days, faster, longer)

Postby webzter_again » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

So.. I picked C25k back up probably a little over three months ago. Until two weeks ago, I was running a total of 8-9 miles. Two weeks ago, I went to a running clinic. After that clinic, I pretty much successfully transitioned to a mid-foot strike and also moved from a cross-trainer shoe with a 6mm fall to a running shoe with a 4mm fall. Long story short, I did almost 24 miles last week and am on track to do 26+ this week. Yes, I know you're only supposed to add 10% or so, but I'm going to blame the jump on my form correction (and shoes! I bought the green ones because green is the fastest color).

I'm trying to be smart; I do resistance band exercises to strengthen my glute mids and mins, I do some dynamic stretches (and some rolling) pre-run and static stretches after. I've never felt like my legs were too fatigued to run and I haven't had any soreness during my run (ITB feels fine, no shin splints, no more stitches in my side, knees feel fine... in fact my weak knee feels better than it has in years).

First question(s):
I've been taking Sunday as a rest day but that's it. This early on, should I be thinking about cutting back on days? Some days I'll run doubles; a fast couple miles in the morning and then a longer, slower run at night just for fun. Should I knock that the hell off?

Second question(s):
I am running my first race ever (a 5k) in 16 days. When I first signed up, my goals were finishing, finishing < 30, and not pooping myself. Honestly, I think a 27 minute isn't out of the question now (yes, I realize both are slow, but I'm a middle-age computer programmer couch potato and I'm slowly moving from out of shape to sort of in shape). Am I overthinking all of this?

Last (thank god, he shuts up!):
I've increased my long slow runs to 5 miles and about a 10 min/mile to get some endurance. I've been doing 4 mile tempo runs with 1 mile at 9:30 min/mile, next at 9, next at 8:30 last at 9:30 to get a little speed. I've been doing quicker 1 mile runs or 2 mile run/walk intervals (2 miles in 16:05 this morning, but only first mile was 100% running) to get more speed. Should I optimize and get rid of some of this? Add anything?

I've considered... adding in a second rest day, or only doing a mile on one day at a slow pace to warm up and then adding in plyometrics. or maybe hauling my ass down to the high school track at some point when it wouldn't seem creepy and doing some speed work.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Running, help! (rest days, faster, longer)

Postby philsov » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

Its widely known that red is the fastest color.

Regarding rest days, one a day should be fine. Back in high school cross country the program had M/W/F be heavy days, and Tues/Thurs were lighter days (less distance and/or lower pace), and on the occasion that we did 2 a days the 2nd run of the day (at like 5 in the afternoon... horrible) was usually light in nature as well. But if your legs aren't feeling fatigued and the thing that is holding you back is more your cardiovascular capacity, I don't see the problem with your current scheme.

For the race, if this is your first one the respectable goal (imo) would be to simply finish and never walk once. Your pace will probably be horrid, and that's perfectly fine, but focus on finishing first and finishing with style second. A rule of thumb to translate a 5k time into a 3 mile time is to double the minutes number and subtract that many seconds -- that is, a 30:00 5k is a 29:00 3 mile. Between google maps and a high school track you should be able to have some sort of gauge pace/distance for that distance -- do so about a week beforehand and set your goal based on that? Excitement is a good thing, I don't think you're overthinking this at all.

Your program is a bit... shotgunned... but it covers all the bases, yes. Variety keeps things interesting. Adding in some strict intervals on a track might do you some good. But, if the goal is the 5k and you can't do 2 miles without walking, focus on endurance first imo.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Between google maps and a high school track you should be able to have some sort of gauge pace/distance for that distance

First off, thanks for all your help! You rock. I do have a 3.8 mile circuit I run outside. I'll try and lop some of it off so I get a better gauge for 5k.

philsov wrote:Your program is a bit... shotgunned... but it covers all the bases, yes. Variety keeps things interesting. Adding in some strict intervals on a track might do you some good. But, if the goal is the 5k and you can't do 2 miles without walking, focus on endurance first imo.

I can do 4 miles at a slower pace (like a 9:15 mile) without stopping. Maybe I'll concentrate on distance to add stamina for now. I have a feeling I'm going to be a bit quicker on race day (I'm going to start behind the 9 minute pacers though) so I'll just work on endurance so I can look ridiculously good when I finish.

spoiler for gratuitous shoe shot:
Spoiler:

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

philsov wrote:But if your legs aren't feeling fatigued and the thing that is holding you back is more your cardiovascular capacity, I don't see the problem with your current scheme.

100% agree.

If you aren't "feeling the burn" in your legs, you should focus on heart and lungs. Try to make your 5 mile runs less slow (if you're on a 10 min pace, bring it down to a 9:30~9 minute pace). Long, demanding workouts are what are going to push your heart and lung capacity.

If you want to cut back the number of days running for some reason (bad knee maybe?) I'd suggest replacing some days with a low impact aerobic intensive workout (cycling, swimming) instead of plyometrics (really nothing about 5k running requires explosiveness).

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:38 pm UTC

update. I am just running further rather than getting all stupid with a bunch of approaches (philsov charitably called it shotgunned :D ). Along with the mileage I'm going a bit faster as freakish suggested. This is tiring my legs out nicely.

at various distances... these were not from the same run
2 miles: 16 minutes
3 miles: 26 minutes
5 miles: 47 minutes

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

Keep us posted when you do your 5k when you do run it.

Seeing that you're at 26 minutes for your 3 mile time and a 5k isn't that much longer, I think that's the time you want to target, and be happy with anything under 27 minutes.

Return to “Fit Club”