Nerds In MMA

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Nerds In MMA

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:21 am UTC

G'day, y'all.

I thought it might be time for a proper MMA thread here in the Fit Club.

I am now a proper member of the Mixed Martial Arts Association of British Columbia, which, at the moment, doesn't mean MUCH, but it has proven to be a big boost to my ego, as well as my desire to train. When I eventually score a Class C fight, I will undoubtedly still be a superheavyweight, simply because even when I drop some weight and gain some muscle, I'm going to be enormous (6'4", broad shoulders, big frame). Bone-thin, I'm going to be 200 lbs, and I'm never going to be bone-thin. That's a little terrifying, but at the same time very exciting!

Is anyone else here actually interested in professional (semi-pro, amateur, or just bucket-list) MMA fighting?

Nath

Re: Nerds In MMA

Postby Nath » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:34 am UTC

Awesome; keep us posted on your progress.

I grapple, so I have a casual interest in MMA. I don't strike, so I haven't competed in MMA, but some of my training partners have.

What does your training protocol look like?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 am UTC

Right now: dieting, Big Three lifting, and running. I have a ways to go to get back into real fighting trim. Making a punching bag right now to hang off the spar on the kids' swingset. I am a striker, definitely, and really need to work on my grappling.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 am UTC

I love MMA. Unfortunately my back is ruined so I can't practice grappling too much or compete, but it's definitely one of the more fun forms of exercise I know of. I'm really tiny so I prefer not to get too close to my opponent, but just knowing what to do when in a grappling situation and practicing holds is something I really love.

Have you encountered any of the community yet? I have this notion that MMA-people have a somewhat unfairly bad rep, but I'm unsure if that's just something that's the case around here.

Also, what's your plan for training grappling? Have you got someone to practice with?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:16 pm UTC

I've met two professional fighters: one is super-nice, one is a bag of cocks. My sample size is insufficient.

There are a couple of JJ/BJJ dojos in town which I will definitely take advantage of when I make it those last forty pounds, and I have been trying to find a sparring partner for months now, with no success. I have done a lot of grappling in my original training, but... I always thought it was dumb. Why train for this, when I can just kick the guy BEFORE he grabs me? Of course, now I know better and wish I had been a better pupil.

Choboman

Postby Choboman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

Congrats on your new hobby. Love sparring and MT, but don't do much of it any more. Tell us more, and inspire me to get off my lazy butt and go back!

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Have you encountered any of the community yet? I have this notion that MMA-people have a somewhat unfairly bad rep, but I'm unsure if that's just something that's the case around here.

Nearly all the fighters and coaches I've met have been good folks. The fanbase, however, tends to include some not-so-awesome folks.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Nearly all the fighters and coaches I've met have been good folks. The fanbase, however, tends to include some not-so-awesome folks.

That's a pretty solid summation of martial arts in general I'd say.

I think that's awesome MJ, good luck kicking ass and taking names. Post a video, doubly so if it's of you getting knocked out and doing something funny.

I haven't sparred since undergrad, but I used to grapple a bunch. I loved it, the last time I went up against someone he did some kind of flying spinning arm bar that started at my hip, went up my back, spun his crotch over my shoulders and ended with me face first on the mat with my arm bent up and behind me. I was having trouble tapping because I was laughing and wincing so hard.

Never strike (never heard that term, but I assume it means throwing punches or kicks?), but I'd be really curious to try.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:15 am UTC

laughing and wincing - defination of a good traning session.

Is it worth looking into MMA if you've only ever done pure -fu before?

I'm currently a beginner at vietnamese shaolin (i think, the master doesn't bother with belts), but I'm going to be moving soon and looking for a new thing to pick up.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:22 am UTC

Striking - yeah, punches and kicks. AKA, "stand up and bang". Not as naughty as it sounds.

Not much to tell right now! I've gotten sick of dreaming and saying 'someday', and properly registered with the regulating association for MMA in my province. I took the first step. 9001 to go, but the first one is DOWN. Looking at the leagues available (WarPath, Armageddon, QFG) and seeing how many events happen around BC that I never even knew about has been a big inspiration, along with seeing some recaps of fights and thinking to myself honestly "Man, back when I was training... I could really have taken that guy. He has no defense. Cripes, anything on that guy's left gets through. Why does no-one THRUST KICK? Augh, you guys!" I know how good I used to be, and I know how much I suck now. Seeing that difference is a constant reminder of what I had, and what I threw away.

Purky

Postby Purky » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

Good luck with this MJ.

I started at a local MMA gym about 10 weeks ago, began with MMA and BJJ sessions. Now I'm just hooked on BJJ, it is a really fun art and takes a lot of mental effort as each move has a counter and then there is a counter to each counter, it really is like a game of chess on the floor and the really good guys are thinking 4-5 moves ahead.
The stand-up work also really helps shift weight too, all in all, if nothing else, it is a fun and interesting workout :)

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:19 am UTC

What's BJJ - British Ju-Jitsu?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 pm UTC

madd0ct0r wrote:What's BJJ - British Ju-Jitsu?

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

I was going to link him to www.hereletmegooglethatforyou.com, but your answer was much more polite. Thanks :)

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:37 am UTC

heh, although as LMGTFY gives me DNS errors the snark would have been secondary.

I did practice ju-jitsu a long time back, but I've forgetten nearly all of beyond the elementary throws and pins, and a single kata I converted for the dance floor.

In the early 1990s, practitioners of grappling based styles such as Brazilian jiu-jitsu dominated competition in the United States. Practitioners of striking based arts such as boxing, kickboxing, and karate who were unfamiliar with submission grappling proved to be unprepared to deal with its submission techniques.[30][31][32][33][34] This increase of cross-training resulted in fighters becoming increasingly multi-dimensional and well-rounded in their skills.
The new hybridization of fighting styles can be seen in the technique of "ground and pound" developed by wrestling based UFC pioneers such as Dan Severn, Don Frye and Mark Coleman. These wrestlers realized the need for the incorporation of strikes on the ground as well as on the feet and incorporated ground striking into their grappling based styles. Mark Coleman stated at UFC 14 his strategy was to "Ground him and pound him" which may be the first televised use of the term ground and pound.
Since the late 1990s, both strikers and grapplers have been successful at MMA though it is rare to see any fighter who is not schooled in both striking and grappling arts reach the highest levels of competition.

so grappling practice is very important, but no longer enough for full competition?

Paradigm_Arsonist

Postby Paradigm_Arsonist » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 am UTC

I'm thinking of going down to my local MMA club and seeing how I get on, but as has been pointed out not all martial arts students are sensible and I don't want to repeat my old mistake of associating with dangerous morons. I've been learning Krav Maga on my own and I've done some Judo, so that might help. My main motive is to get some brutal realistic fighting experience as training in self-defence. I'm not so interested in grappling, as I gather that that's mainly a sporting thing.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 am UTC

Grappling includes throws, takedowns, pins and escapes. Judo is grappling. As martial arts go, I think this is pretty useful for self defense. (The submissions, maybe less so.)

That said, I think studying martial arts for self defense is poor use of time, since most useful self-defense is about recognizing and defusing problem situations, rather than beating people up.

Paradigm_Arsonist

Postby Paradigm_Arsonist » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 am UTC

True. Avoidance, reasoning, submission and running away usually provide a better option, especially if you learn to sprint faster than the average thug -- probably not hard. One exception would be if you're a self-defeating primitive who wants to get his frontal lobes damaged in a barfight. I'm not one of those.

I do believe that for some infrequent situations, using reasonable force as is necessary and proportionate is appropriate. But not if that means timidly blocking and attempting wrist-grabs while getting punched in the neck. I'd rather curl up into a foetal position and wait for the nasty man to go away than do that.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:16 am UTC

UFC 161!!!!!!!!!!

Hendo and Big Country, no doubt about it... and my INCREDIBLY unpopular "Shawn Jordan gonna win" prediction just came true like a boss. WOO!

EDIT: HOW IS NELSON STILL STANDING?!?!?!?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:25 am UTC

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH WEIDMAN!

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Ow. Damn.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Weidman showed a lot of class, though. He admits he didn't really "win".

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:13 pm UTC

A mixture of terrible fights, and GREAT fights.

Best fight undoubtedly was the first on the main card... none of the big names even had a bout remotely close to theirs, as shown by the fact they won BOTH big bonuses: Fight of The Night: Jamie Varner vs. Abel Trujillo ($75,000 each), Knockout of The Night: Abel Trujillo ($50,000). Jamie Varner was winning, easily, just SMASHING Trujillo around for a round and a half. Taking him down, punching him in the face at will, leg kicks that were never answered, just dominating... and then ONE SWEET PUNCH and Trujillo wins. So awesome. MMA in a nutshell.

Samik

Postby Samik » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:16 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Jamie Varner was winning, easily, just SMASHING Trujillo around for a round and a half... just dominating... and then ONE SWEET PUNCH and Trujillo wins. So awesome. MMA in a nutshell.

Some people hate that aspect of MMA. I absolutely love it. One of my favorite fights of all time is still the Chris Leben v. Terry Martin fight. Not the greatest fight in history by any stretch of the imagination (and I don't even like Leben), but the ending is classic. Martin tags him about 6 times in a row right on the chin, and Leben is just drunkenly wading forward, throwing sightless punches, one of which just happens to land and knock Martin cold, and Leben gets up, spreads his arms wide, and the look on his face says clear as day "How the he!! did I just win that fight?"

It parallels real life. You can line every duck in the world up in a row, account for every tiny little detail, but no outcome is ever guaranteed. Sometimes the only thing you can do is keep wading forward. And every now and then, it pays off.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:18 pm UTC

This wasn't QUITE that one-sided :lol: , but Trujillo showed a lot of heart, eating punch after punch, staggering back to his feet, and what I really appreciated was all of his (few) counterpunches WERE timed very well. He wasn't throwing wild, he was waiting for the best openings, and trusting on his INDESTRUCTIBLE SKULL to keep him in the fight.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:58 pm UTC

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLM!!!!!!!!!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:52 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLM!!!!!!!!!

Are people that excited that Rowsy finally lost a match? I saw some clips from it - she took some extremely hard hits to the face.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

I'm as excited as I am for any crazy upset. 10:1 Vegas odds for Holly Holm, and she didn't just beat someone who has been repeatedly and incessantly touted as the single most dominant athlete on the globe... she utterly outclassed and humiliated her.

Unlike most of the internet, as far as I can tell, I'm not all "Oh me yarm ROUSEY SUUUX0RS BIG TIME HAHA TAKE THAT BITCH U SUCK I ALWAYS KNEW IT!" I'm saddened that someone so skilled lost, but I'm super-excited that she's been surpassed. Every time that happens the entire division is forced to improve. This is the four-minute-mile of women's MMA. It's gonna be great.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

So this wasn't a one time defeat, this was 'Holms is clearly the superior fighter all the time for ever and ever'?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:27 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So this wasn't a one time defeat, this was 'Holms is clearly the superior fighter all the time for ever and ever'?

o.O? Where did you read that?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:21 pm UTC

I didn't, I'm asking the question.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:42 pm UTC

Ah. No, this was "seriously unheard-of world-class kickboxing and boxing defeats seriously unheard-of power and grappling skills. Now... WHAT WILL DEFEAT THE KICKBOXER?!"

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Ah. No, this was "seriously unheard-of world-class kickboxing and boxing defeats seriously unheard-of power and grappling skills. Now... WHAT WILL DEFEAT THE KICKBOXER?!"

While I've been out of martial arts since MMA was the Gracie Brother's challenge, I'll take a guess at this.
Grappling beats boxing.
Boxing beats kicking.
Kicking is needed to beat a grappler (especially for women's bantamweight. Don't expect Tyson-level KO in 8 punches outside of men's super heavyweight). Just don't assume you can fight Tae Kwon Do style with your arms at your sides and expect to beat a grappler.

My understanding is that Holms used her boxing technique to hold off the clinch (which could presumably end the match) and use her punches to open up kicks. The kicks then KO'ed Rousey.

So to beat Holms: you probably need better grappling skills (Rousey level not necessary) than Holms and better boxing skills than Rousey (sufficiently better to force a clinch and avoid/prevent the kicks). So assuming Holms is primarily a boxer, you need to out grapple her. The catch is to grapple her, you need to be able to box her pretty well (better than Rousey did).

Samik

Postby Samik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 am UTC

I didn't have any feelings about Rousey or Holm in particular. I liked the outcome because it's good for women's MMA.

First Rousey came along and made everyone finally take women mixed martial artists seriously. Then Holm goes and proves Rousey wasn't just a fluke of nature.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I'm saddened that someone so skilled lost, but I'm super-excited that she's been surpassed. Every time that happens the entire division is forced to improve. This is the four-minute-mile of women's MMA. It's gonna be great.

Basically, that.

DenisL704

Postby DenisL704 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:05 am UTC

From what I could see I think Rousey expected a quick and easy win, and when it didn't come, she got frustrated, didn't have a real gameplan, and pretty much played into Holm's hand.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 pm UTC

CJ Strongheart of Kaiten MMA, the new AMA Lightweight Champion.

And tonight I get to spar with him! :shock: I mean, I've been sparring with him for the last year, but now that he's won the belt he's going to be a lot goofier and a lot more fun... which means I'm probably in a lot of trouble.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:01 pm UTC

DenisL704 wrote:From what I could see I think Rousey expected a quick and easy win, and when it didn't come, she got frustrated, didn't have a real gameplan, and pretty much played into Holm's hand.

Kinda late, but the problem with Rousey is that she has basically one gameplan: rush and go for the clinch. If she gets the clinch, she wins. That's normally what happened. At some point, the other person stands and tries to knock her out when she charges, she eats a punch to the face, and they are on the ground and it's over for the opponent.

Holly Holm just said fuck that and sidestepped her a lot. Having to keep charging is really exhausting and this just took her stamina out after Round One. Overcoming this is not something that can be done in the fight, it requires a ton of training etc. Her boxing/setup to her clinch/wrestling is nowhere near what the men have been dealing with (ex. TJ Dillashaw, Weidman etc.), it's something she really should have worked on. And Holm wasn't completely unprepared either, so props to her.

Rousey is a great MMA fighter, but she was definitely a big fish in a small pond.

Return to “Fit Club”