Tough Mudder

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

natraj

Tough Mudder

Postby natraj » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

has anyone here done this particular bout of ridiculousness?

it looks pretty silly. and awesome. mostly silly. also like i might die.

i'm doing new england on saturday. i dunno if i'm in anywhere near as good shape as i should be. i mean okay, i am pretty freaking sure i'm not! but i'm mostly doing it for the fun of it, with some friends. i run a lot and do a fair bit of cardio (in the form of capoeira, i used to do karate most of my life before i stopped for personal reasons earlier this year) but i don't usually do a lot of strength training so i suspect a lot of the things requiring my arms will be hard. i do rock climbing but i tend to push myself up with my legs a lot more than i "should".

anyway. if i survive i shall let you know how it went! if i never post here again well. i went out doing something awesome(ly silly.) :mrgreen:
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

madd0ct0r

Re: Tough Mudder

Postby madd0ct0r » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:05 am UTC

for those who don't know what he's talking about: http://toughmudder.com/

I looked at this years ago and spent about 5min pondering why on earth anyone would choose to do it? It's like a fitness equivalent of a car crash, you just can't look away.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:23 am UTC

Good luck!
natraj wrote:i do rock climbing but i tend to push myself up with my legs a lot more than i "should".

Buh? One climbs with one's legs. The arms are just decoration until they're needed.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am UTC

Good luck! I just looked at the website and am thinking of gathering a team of my friends so we can attack it when it comes to the UK (South Coast) next year. Should be awesome. Dont forget to come back and tell us how it went!
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:31 am UTC

My brother just did this a week or two ago. I haven't asked him about it yet.

He'd been to training sessions, plus he's hella fit (does outrigger rowing, runs, cycles...), and he was still nervous. :shock:
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

I looked at this years ago and spent about 5min pondering why on earth anyone would choose to do it?

Because it's there. Really the same thing can be said for marathons and triathlons. Or Olympic powerlifters. Or any manner of physical activity, especially in a competitive environment.

It's more fun/varied than your usual 5K road race, you have to at least admit that. My sister in law did one recently. At one spot some local firemen had a hose, and would blast people sideways as they turned the corner. Not only did it generate a rather large mudpit, runners were literally being knocked off their feet, sideways, by the impact.

good luck nat!

Edit: Wait, no -- she did a Warrior Dash instead. Looks to be the same, only a little more suburbanite-friendly.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

Oh shit I didn't realize it was this early! Dammit, I wanted to do this! Good luck natraj, kick ass and tough on through!

madd0ct0r wrote:I looked at this years ago and spent about 5min pondering why on earth anyone would choose to do it? It's like a fitness equivalent of a car crash, you just can't look away.

Shutup.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

Good luck tomorrow, natraj. Sounds like a pretty fun event.

philsov wrote:Or Olympic powerlifters

FYI, there's no such thing as an Olympic powerlifter. Olympic weightlifting and powerlifting are two quite different sports.

natraj

Postby natraj » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:59 am UTC

thanks everyone for the good wishes!

i finished! it was a) pretty grueling and b) awesome fun. one of my teammates (my team had three people including me) blew out her knee fairly early on on one of the steep uphill runs but me and my other teammate finished together. there were a couple things i didn't expect to be able to do (like the monkeybars, i am fine at normal monkeybars but theirs go up and down -- like an inverted V -- rather than straight across, and i really have terrible arm/upper body strength, i just run a lot!) but i got across them fine when looooots of people were falling off.

i think actually in many things it helped that i am pretty tiny, even though i am not the strongest i don't have a lot of weight to pull around.

if anyone is thinking of doing this i would reeeeally advise running on mountains. a lot. i run tons but i do not run up extremely steep ski slopes, and almost the entire course, in between obstacles, consisted of running up or down steep slopes on a mountain. this makes for being wiiiicked exhausted if you are not used to steep running, by the time you get to the obstacles, some of which would otherwise be pretty easy except for you've just run two miles up a mountain. i don't know if they're all like that. i mean they certainly all include a ton of running, but a quick glance over the map says that not all of them are on mountains so maybe the hill gradients are not all so terrible.

my wave started kind of late -- 11:40 -- so by the time we started it was pretty hot. shortly after we had finished one particular section they actually closed it off and reworked a small section of the course to make it a little shorter and cut out two obstacles (or maybe one obstacle and one really bad hill? i was not clear on details) because too many people were dropping from heat exhaustion.

actually this was kind of good in my case cuz i like the heat, a, and b the things i had been most worried about where the cold water stuff (because i am reeeeeeeeeally terrible at dealing with cold, i am wicked skinny and have appalling circulation and can't thermoregulate hardly at all) except the heat just made the cold water (either the obstacles that required it or the ones that, uh, it was possible to avoid the water except i fell off the actual obstacle into the water, oops! that was just one of them though.) feel nice and refreshing.

i did every obstacle except for two of the four requiring getting electrocuted, one because it was in dark enclosed tunnels where you have to crawl through and there are wires hanging and they flash lights at you while you try to crawl low and avoid the shock-wires, and the very last one which is basically just flat-out run through curtains of long hanging wires with varying levels of electricity. the first one didn't have as high voltage but between the flashing lights and the enclosed space i was worried about what might happen if i had a seizure where noone could see and the second had some wires that carried taser levels of electricity (not many but some) and many of them were pretty strong anyway. about one in five people hit the floor at least once on their way though. anyway, they advised anyone with seizures/epilepsy to avoid the electric-shock obstacles so even though i did the first two i decided against the second two.

BUT.

I FINISHED.

and didn't die.

i think my favourite thing about it was the atmosphere, even though it was this kind of RIDICULOUS OVER THE TOP badassery it lacked a lot of the machissimo in other things i have done, i mean don't get me wrong folks there were plenty hardcore and that's totally cool! but everyone was really encouraging to everyone else and i love that! it isn't even timed (i mean you can time yourself if you like but they don't give you times) and at every obstacle people stop to help each other through. that was kind of the best part of the thing. as compared to other straight-up races i have been in sometimes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:16 am UTC

I'm so jealous, it sounds like a blast. The electrocution, it's a mild shock right, like the sort used to keep cattle off fences? A bunch of my friends are really hung up on the concept, and I keep trying to underplay it.

Congrats finishing, you're one tough mudder.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 am UTC

natraj wrote:i think actually in many things it helped that i am pretty tiny, even though i am not the strongest i don't have a lot of weight to pull around.

Square-cube scaling favors the small.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm so jealous, it sounds like a blast. The electrocution, it's a mild shock right, like the sort used to keep cattle off fences? A bunch of my friends are really hung up on the concept, and I keep trying to underplay it.

Congrats finishing, you're one tough mudder.

thanks! :D and the electrocution varied. there were four obstacles that included electricity, the first one i never got hit so i don't know (probably nobody will get hit during it, you have to dive through ice water and the only way to get hit is if you refuse to dive and somehow try to climb over the wires instead. or i guess surface too early. but i didn't see anyone get shocked.) the second one has looots of little wires hanging down that you have to belly-crawl through mudwater underneath, i got hit a lot in that! but it is really mild. at first i didn't even realize, for some of them, i thought the person behind me kept bumping into me but then i realized it was the wires hitting me and making my muscles twitch. but it was just a little pop, it didn't hurt so much.

the third one is the one i skipped because it was in a tunnel with flashing lights and i didn't want to seizure, but my friend said it wasn't too bad either, it made her teeth clench but she only got hit once. in the third one if you stay low enough you will not get hit (in the second on it hink it is mostly impossible to avoid at least a few shocks.)

the last one is the worst but it is variable! most of the wires aren't so bad. a coooouple of them have about the same voltage as a taser though. i guess you have to just charge and hope you are lucky about which ones really whap you! i saw a couple people black out. but only for a second. most people hit the floor and then kept crawling. Or stumbled back to their feet and kept running.

anyway it's not pleasant but if you make it through the rest of the course it is also probably not even the most painful part. XD

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:19 am UTC

madd0ct0r wrote: It's like a fitness equivalent of a car crash, you just can't look away.

:)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 am UTC

I just asked my brother about his attempt. He had a lot of fun. It helped that they were in the first group to go, at 8am, so there was no one in front creating lines at the obstacles.

He said there was a lot of running -- broken up into two- to four-mile chunks, but still about 16 miles total. Their team members that had the most trouble with the race were very fit but not big runners.

Of their seven-member team, only three made it across the monkey bars without falling: my brother, a fellow who was one of the tallest guys, and the smallest woman (less body weight to hoist).
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 am UTC

honestly, for all of my snark, I'm actually starting to consider this for summer 2013. anyone want to take a brit up on the challenge?

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:08 am UTC

I'm trying to gather a team Wales to do the run next September. Gives everyone a year of hard training and stuff :)

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

@poxic which one did your brother run? 16 miles sounds grueling man i was tired enough after ours and it was... ten and a half? something like that. the courses all vary wildly though. i am kind of curious about all the different ones!

and yay, more people doing it! :mrgreen: it was definitely a lot of fun! and starting now gives plenty of prep time! i'm going to do it again next year. with more running on hills in between now and then. a lot more!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

Me brudder did the Whistler version. A quick goog tells me that it was a bit different from others -- no big jump into water, no fire obstacle (fire hazard conditions on the mountain).
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 pm UTC

I'd like to do either a Tough Mudder or Spartan Challenge, but the Tough Mudder that is closest to my location is in July 2013 right when I have to take the bar :(

I might have to look into it after that, or maybe see about driving somewhere in the middle of the year while I can still do that sort of thing.

madd0ct0r

Postby madd0ct0r » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 am UTC

Sytri wrote:I'm trying to gather a team Wales to do the run next September. Gives everyone a year of hard training and stuff :)

where in wales are you?

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 pm UTC

madd0ct0r wrote:
Sytri wrote:I'm trying to gather a team Wales to do the run next September. Gives everyone a year of hard training and stuff :)

where in wales are you?

I'm actually living in Reading now but a few of my friends from Wales visit oftren and are reasonably into their fitness so I'm hoping to get them to do the South of England challenge. :)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Me and the missus are running the one in Austin TX on saturday! My goal is to try all of the obstacles, give help as much as I receive it, and not be miserable. I would set loftier goals but I have absolutely no business doing this and I know it. :|
-Adam

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Me and the missus are running the one in Austin TX on saturday! My goal is to try all of the obstacles, give help as much as I receive it, and not be miserable. I would set loftier goals but I have absolutely no business doing this and I know it. :|

Good luck for today! Let us know how it goes!

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

yay, adam, that's exciting! good luck to the both of you!

i think those are great goals, this is a challenge not a race. and giving help is in the spirit of the thing!

can't want to hear how it went!

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 pm UTC

Wootwootwoot it was awesome! I did a lot better than I was expecting! And obviously my marathon running wife did great. We paced ourselves very well; I was exhausted by the end but I didn't pass out or anything. I did all the obstacles, too, including the monkey bars which I wasn't expecting to be able to do. And dang that ice water was cold. :shock:

Soooooooo sore... :P
-Adam

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

yay congrats to you both! that is wicked awesome.
i also totally thought i would fail the monkeybars but.

i am glad to hear that you did finished, did you enjoy yourself? think you might do it again ever?

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

I did enjoy myself and I'm very glad I did it! However, I would probably not do it again. The novelty of it added a lot to the experience. And it's expensive! Also, if we did it again my wife would probably be less forgiving about me setting the pace (and walking half the time).

It might be something I'd enjoy in a new environment and a long time from now, though. If I did it in a foresty or hilly region I imagine it would be a completely different experience. Texas is pretty blah...

I might do the warrior dash though, I hear that's a lot easier. :)
-Adam

Tounx

Postby Tounx » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

I would love to do this.

Return to “Fit Club”