Running Half Marathon

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

Sytri

Running Half Marathon

Postby Sytri » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10 am UTC

So I got talked into running a half marathon, it's not until March so I've got time to train, but does anyone know of any good websites/ apps/ books that I can go through to help me get ready for it? I'm already reasdonably fit, I do run a little bit but will be doing more now obviously so, any help is appreciated!

thanks all :)
Apathy will kill us all. Or not. Whatever.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Re: Running Half Marathon

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:35 am UTC

Couch to 5k is pretty great for getting you from 0 distance skills to being able to run a 5k with no big deal, and it'll be easier to find 5k-to-half-marathon (or 5k-to-10k and then 10k-to-half-marathon) programs than nothing to half marathon.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:19 pm UTC

Run the full 13.1 miles some time before the race. If you live close enough for it to be possible, run the actual route of the race beforehand. I think it helps to familiarize yourself with the course, and you will get an accurate time as a goal to beat.

Based on your location, it is this one? http://www.readinghalfmarathon.com/
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:43 am UTC

Yeah, it's a bit too road-y to run safely in one go. I think it uses a main road that gets closed on the day of the run. I've found two running partners for it and one's taking me on a drive of the course and the other has run it the last 3 years and has offered to take me on some training runs. I've found some 12 week running courses so I'm going to follow them. I run ~30 minutes 2-3 times a week as it is so I just need to up the time.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

I am also running a half-marathon this March. :) Hows your training going?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

You can do it! The rule of thumb I've heard for marathon running is to be up to running 20 miles at the pace you want 2 weeks before the race. So, I dunno, extrapolate around that.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

That's the plan. I was stoked to discover that one COMPLETE lap around the lake my town is on is almost 20 miles on the nose.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Well, right now I'm hoping I can make it round. My training went all to pot with terrible weather and work keeping me late lots. I have 3 weeks till the race and the furthest I've run is 7 miles. But I felt I could go further after I finished my run and I'm keeping a steady pace whilst increasing my distances. I'm hopeful but I won't kick myself if I have to start walking at some point.

Went to buy new trainers because my old ones were giving me terrible blisters. Turns out because I over-pronate. A lot. So have support trainers and they are awesome! March 17th I run around Reading trying my very best to not think about how far I'm running and how far away the finish line is. :)

edit: I'm also planning on doing an autumn half-marathon and hopefully I'll train properly. I'm thinking of this one as a very steep learning curve.

edit the second: Just looked back on when I first wrote this. I was so full of enthusiasm and I can remember thinking about going out for runs. That sadly didnt happen because a week after my first post our landlord told us we had to move out. Luckily it meant me finding the cash to buy a house of our own but it was three months of running round like a headless chicken trying to get things to pull together. So happy I've got less stress even if it does mean I'm woefully behind in training.

Sytri

Postby Sytri » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:You can do it! :)

Thanks! It's on March 17th hopefully I'll be alive enough after it to come here and tell you how awful I feel :D

Return to “Fit Club”