Developing a workout schedule.

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

gametaku

Developing a workout schedule.

Postby gametaku » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 pm UTC

After going through the information found on this forum and elsewhere on the internet I need to rethink about how I go about developing a workout plan.

My main goal is to loose 15 pounds by the end of the semester. (dec 15). Aside from that I'd like to gain a bit of strength, and improve my endurance.

I should be able to get to the gym on Tuesday, Thursday, and most weekends either on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Where on Tuesday, and Thursday I would do 20 - 25 minutes of cardio, followed by doing some compound strength exercises. Over the weekend I plan do to do a more intense cardio workout going to about an hour, followed by crunches, and any targeting specific muscles that need a bit of work.

Now I'm good what exercises I"m doing for cardio, though if I should change how much I do then your suggestions are welcome. What however I'm most wondering about is the strength exercises:

Right now I'm looking at::
squats
bench press
chin-ups
pull-ups

each at 3 sets with 8 reps.

is there anything else I should add, change the number of sets/reps I should do? Also should I all of them both on Tuesday and Thursday or should I split them up.

Some info that the sticky post ask about:
height: 5'8"

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Developing a workout schedule.

Postby philsov » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:14 pm UTC

15 pounds in 10 weeks? A doable and reasonable goal, pending your current weight. 1.5 pounds a week is a good pace, if a bit aggressive.

20-25 minutes of cardio is good enough, intensity permitting. I'd recommend doing weights first, then hitting up the cardio. Much of fat loss is due to diet and caloric intake vs expenses, while strength gains are affected by your energy levels. That is, you should see better strength gains by lifting first while having the same level of fat loss.

If you have access to a rowing machine/ergo, give that a spin for cardio. Just about anything'll work, but it's a preference of mine.

As for lifting, you'll want to hit up a beginner routine like Starting Strength or Stronglifts (lotta fluff, scroll to the middle of that page for the meat). They're made to be performed 3 times a week on nonconsecutive days, but if you want to build up cardiovascular health as well that's fine too. So as far as exercises go, you've hit up some of the big compounds -- adding in stuff like deadlifts, OHP, and rows will make you a little more well-rounded in the strength department. 4 exercises a day with minimal muscle overlap is a good way to start. Most of these programs recommend the 5 rep scheme, fwiw. At 5 reps progressive resistance is easier to twerk for optimal gains.

Above all else, focus on form. Watch some videos, read Starting Strength, and check your ego at the door. If you can only squat the bar, squat only the bar. You'll get stronger in time, and bad form is counter productive. Also a little warming up with less than working resistance never hurt.

~

Also, count calories. Find out what your daily maintenance is*, subtract 750 from that number, and eat only that throughout the day. Pacing/rationing helps (ie, 400 calorie breakfast, 600 calorie lunch, 600 calorie dinner, 250 calories in various snacks), as does increased protein intake (1g per lb lean body mass is the upper goal) because it helps with feeling fuller for longer and helps with the whole muscle thing since you're lifting on a deficit. And lifting on a deficit is a lot better than not lifting on a deficit.

*Just a guide. Stick to that number for a week or two, measure, and twerk intake to your own results.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

That's all good advice. I love deadlifts, but you can get away with using squats as your primary lower-body exercise; I for one only deadlift about once a month, and squat twice a week. However, over-reliance on the bench can cause shoulder issues; I'd alternate between benching and overhead presses.

For sets/reps, sets of 8 are OK. I like 5 or fewer on the barbell lifts if you are more interested in strength than size. Are you weighting your chin-ups and pull-ups? If not, at least the last set should be done for max reps.

gaurwraith

Postby gaurwraith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

can you do 8 pull ups?

I would reckon someone who can do 3x8 pullups doesn't need to lose weight...
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

gametaku

Postby gametaku » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:42 am UTC

Went to gym today, and since I didn't get a chance to on Thursday, and did most of a routine. (press, overhead press and dumbbell bent over rows).

philsov wrote:15 pounds in 10 weeks? A doable and reasonable goal, pending your current weight. 1.5 pounds a week is a good pace, if a bit aggressive.

Yea I'll probably try for a one pound a week after this semester.

20-25 minutes of cardio is good enough, intensity permitting. I'd recommend doing weights first, then hitting up the cardio. Much of fat loss is due to diet and caloric intake vs expenses, while strength gains are affected by your energy levels. That is, you should see better strength gains by lifting first while having the same level of fat loss.

Thanks for the tip.

As for lifting, you'll want to hit up a beginner routine like Starting Strength or Stronglifts (lotta fluff, scroll to the middle of that page for the meat). They're made to be performed 3 times a week on nonconsecutive days, but if you want to build up cardiovascular health as well that's fine too. So as far as exercises go, you've hit up some of the big compounds -- adding in stuff like deadlifts, OHP, and rows will make you a little more well-rounded in the strength department. 4 exercises a day with minimal muscle overlap is a good way to start. Most of these programs recommend the 5 rep scheme, fwiw. At 5 reps progressive resistance is easier to twerk for optimal gains.

Which type of rows are you referring to, upright or bent over using barbell or dumbbell.

Above all else, focus on form. Watch some videos, read Starting Strength, and check your ego at the door. If you can only squat the bar, squat only the bar. You'll get stronger in time, and bad form is counter productive. Also a little warming up with less than working resistance never hurt.

Got it no ego. Anyways, even if I don't gain any strength but loose the weight I'll be happy.

Nath wrote:That's all good advice. I love deadlifts, but you can get away with using squats as your primary lower-body exercise; I for one only deadlift about once a month, and squat twice a week. However, over-reliance on the bench can cause shoulder issues; I'd alternate between benching and overhead presses.

A few of the programs that philsov posted had squats and deadlifts done on the same day. Should I not be doing them on the same day? And I'll probably change my routine so that I"m doing presses and overhead presses on different days.

For sets/reps, sets of 8 are OK. I like 5 or fewer on the barbell lifts if you are more interested in strength than size.

I was going with sets of 8 since I tend to use lower weights as I lack a spotter.

Are you weighting your chin-ups and pull-ups? If not, at least the last set should be done for max reps.

gaurwraith wrote:can you do 8 pull ups?

I would reckon someone who can do 3x8 pullups doesn't need to lose weight...

For pull-ups and chin-ups I'm using an assisted pull up machine.

nightbird

Postby nightbird » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:08 am UTC

gametaku wrote:A few of the programs that philsov posted had squats and deadlifts done on the same day. Should I not be doing them on the same day? And I'll probably change my routine so that I"m doing presses and overhead presses on different days.

1. As a beginner, you're not strong enough to really beat yourself up with any exercise. Doing squats and ONE set of deadlifts on the same day is perfectly fine. Concerning the presses: do that. If I were you, I'd just go with stronglifts 5x5 and not question the exercise selection/frequency etc. IMO, it's the perfect routine for a beginner.
“Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.”

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

Which type of rows are you referring to, upright or bent over using barbell or dumbbell.

Bent-over, using whatever you prefer. Upright rows have a nasty reputation for shoulder/rotator cuff injury.

Anyways, even if I don't gain any strength but loose the weight I'll be happy.

You'll certainly gain strength :D. Muscle mass growth will be a bit restricted given the diet though.

A few of the programs that philsov posted had squats and deadlifts done on the same day. Should I not be doing them on the same day?

Given the program, you're squatting every day. There's no avoiding it. But both programs have you with only one (working) set of deadlifts, and each of them have an exercise inbetween squats and deads to give your legs a hint of recovery time. I'll echo nightbird on the presses -- I personally feel more restricted by my triceps than either chest or shoulder respectively, so if they can be broken up do so.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Return to “Fit Club”