Workout Schedule: Getting in Shape

The Food Forum's Evil Twin. Trying to lose weight or get in shape? Tips, encouragement, status reports, and so forth go here.
Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated, we are not health professionals. Take advice with salt.

Moderators: Mighty Jalapeno, Moderators General, Prelates

hayaz

Workout Schedule: Getting in Shape

Postby hayaz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

I'm 16 and have been overweight for most of my life. My high school recently got a nice gym space that's open after school for free ( :D ). I'd like to do a mix of weights and cardio, with the following constraints:

- The center is closed on weekends, and school sports teams (of which I am not a member) have full access after ~4:45 (school ends at 3:30).
- I'm always available on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Wednesday is bughouse day, though one of our people cancels about half the time and then we don't meet. (I have strange priorities.)
- I play Ultimate on Thursdays.
- Unfortunately, I have to be home early on Fridays for the next few months and can't work out on those days. (This should get better around February.)

I'm currently planning on weights on Mondays and every Wednesday I can, and getting on a treadmill on Tuesdays. Abs workouts on Tuesday (if I want once a week) or Mon/Wed (if I want twice). I've gotten in for 3-4 weights days in the past couple weeks, but conspiring fates have so far kept me out on days when I was planning on doing cardio. I could add a third cardio day if I wanted to run on the weekend, but it being wintery in upstate NY makes that option a lot less attractive. Though still possible. Paying to go to one of the other gyms in the area seems strange, since I'd only use it one day a week (Sunday) over my school gym. I'm also not sure I'm motivated enough to go on weekends.

Thoughts? Tips? Advice?

Nath

Re: Workout Schedule: Getting in Shape

Postby Nath » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 pm UTC

Good luck! Quick thoughts:

Most people need at least two strength training days a week to make reasonable progress. Mondays and alternate Wednesdays will not be enough.

A third cardio day is probably not necessary. One day in the gym and one day of playing a sport is plenty.

Ab stuff isn't necessary if the weight training is programmed correctly.

hayaz

Postby hayaz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:37 am UTC

Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure how much teams monopolize the space / if you're allowed to go in as long as you don't get in the way. I'll have to look into that if I want to see about going in after bughouse.

Okay on cardio.

You may have misunderstood me. So far my weight training has been mostly free weights (dumbbells and benching) with a few machines working other areas of my arms, and very little else due to limited machinery. I'm aiming to build muscle, so progression on free weights seems like a good idea. Why would an workouts not be needed?

General questions: what else should my weights workout entail? What muscle groups / exercises should I focus on? Should my individual workouts be tailored to one muscle group or look at more?

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 am UTC

Free weights are perfect. For general-purpose strength training, every training session should be a whole-body workout; choose two or three multi-joint exercises that cover as much muscle mass as possible. For instance, a pressing exercise (bench or overhead), a squat or deadlift variant, and a chin up or row variant. These sorts of exercises will have greater carry-over to other things than isolation and machine exercises. Overhead presses, squats and deadlifts will also make the muscles of your midsection work very hard to keep your spine neutral against heavy loads. In other words, they will train your abs to better perform their primary function. So if you train them hard, you do not need additional ab work.

Isolation work, machines, ab work and body part splits do have their place in some specific situations, but they are terribly overused.

(If you don't know how to program and perform the above exercises, the book Starting Strength is a good place to begin.)

Return to “Fit Club”